Pet Sounds at 50

Quirk Out Lee
Are You Experienced?

Pet Sounds at 50

Post by Quirk Out Lee »

No. 1 on the overall albums list, Pet Sounds, is 50 years old today!
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Re: Pet Sounds at 50

Post by Setherex »

#9 on the overall albums list as well! ;)

[imgsize 500x500]https://rymimg.com/lk/o/l/2c76599d45e50 ... 753250.jpg[/imgsize]
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Yes, "Blonde on Blonde" and "Pet Sounds" were released on the same day, a capital day in pop history, no doubt.

But I would like to point to a Spanish tribute to "Pet Sounds" made by one of my favourite Spanish radio shows, "Hoy Empieza Todo" ("Everything Starts Today"), in fact my soundtrack of every morning while I'm driving to work. 20 Spanish bands/artists made tribute covers of the songs of "Pet Sounds" that were broadcast last Friday under the name Het Sounds (being HET the acronym of Hoy Empieza Todo). Like every other project of this kind, the results are quite eneven (and mostly too respectful with the original material) but the overall level was quite high in my opinion.

My favourite covers? The minimalistic takes of Mazoni on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (only acoustic guitar and vocals) and Luis Prado from Sr. Mostaza on "Here Today" (only piano and vocals) are my favourites. Other interesting takes are the ones by Alondra Bentley (immersing "I Know There's an Answer" in sweet synths), All La Glory (turning "Wouldn't It Be Nice" into an indie rock pill), Smile (making a fun, fun, fun cover of "That's Not Me") and Triángulo de Amor Bizarro (transforming "Sloop John B." in an ode to their native Galicia and the Galician sailors and fishermen with original new lyrics in Galician).

You can listen to all the covers on the following link: http://www.rtve.es/radio/radio3/het-sounds/
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Certainly a good candidate for "Best day in pop/rock history"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”