✅ Rolling Stone's Women Who Rock 50 Greatest Albums

HRS
Let's Get It On

✅ Rolling Stone's Women Who Rock 50 Greatest Albums

Post by HRS »

You've got to hand it to Rolling Stone; There's no one doing lists like them these days. We could make a case of NME including Azealia Banks's 212 or Lana Del Rey's Video Games inside their top tracks of all time list, but Rolling Stone put them to shame on basically every single level possible. It's hard to finger point the actual problem of the list. That this is an extended of a previous one released a few years back to include more recent artists? The inconsistence of the list when compared to previous ones made by the same magazine? The public wondering where the hell is Rihanna and Nicki Minaj while other pop icons - y'll know, the ones that stood in the long-term even if their records are not downright superb - like Cher and Tina Turner were also ignored? Can't tell them. What was the criteria of the list? Status as icons? Sales? Cred? A little bit of everything? I already questioned the legitimacy of these Rolling Stone lists and if they actually had ballots - or if the magazine actually published their final list with adulterated results as a matter of fact. This only increases my suspicious.

There's ADELE 21, there's Lady Gaga's Born this Way and even Beyonce's 4 made the final cut. All released a year ago or less. There's Lauryn Hill outside the top 40 while the very same album was named one of the top 10 of the 90s on a list by Rolling Stone made not a year ago - something similar happened to Lucinda Williams. There's the absence of presenters of the magazine's list of the best albums of the 00s like Cat Power's The Greatest or Norah Jones's Come Away With Me. Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville and PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea that are always occupying the same positions on other lists by the same magazine independent of the subject of the list. Similarly, Patti Smith's Horses, Joni's Blue and Aretha's I Never Loved a Man the Way I Loved You are always in inertia when it comes to Rolling Stone, rarely varying status - this time is a good thing. The Hot Rock is nowhere to be seen inside their list of favorite 90s record - Call the Doctor was, though - and suddenly pops up inside the top 20. Same goes to Alicia Keys whose As I Am is not ranked inside the magazine's best of the decade list, while her debut is. Tracy Chapman's self-titled debut is also praised by the magazine inside lists and is also absent here.

I didn't even talk about the detail that called my attention the most: the absence of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black. It made their top 20 of the decade, it even was ranked as one of the 500 greatest of all time. It's nowhere to be seen. No one does it like Rolling Stone.

1. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Loved You
2. Joni Mitchell - Blue
3. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
4. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
5. Patti Smith - Horses
6. ADELE - 21
7. Missy Elliott - Under Construction
8. Blondie - Parallel Lines
9. The Supremes - Anthology
10. Bikini Kill - The Singles
11. Lady Gaga - Born this Way
12. Janis Joplin - Pearl
13. Mary J Blige - My Life
14. Pretenders - Pretenders
15. Patsy Cline - The Patsy Cline Collection
16. Labelle - Nightbirds
17. Sleater-Kinney - The Hot Rock
18. Madonna - Like a Prayer
19. Joan Jett - Boardwalk
20. Etta James - At Last
21. Carole King - Tapestry
22. Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
23. Donna Summer - Bad Girls
24. Hole - Live Through This
25. Heart Portrait
26. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
27. Dionne Warwick - Presenting...
28. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
29. M.I.A. - Kala
30. Alicia Keys - As I Am
31. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
32. Dolly Parton - Best of Dolly Parton
33. Irma Thomas - Soul Queen of New Orleans
34. The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat
35. The Ronnetes - ABKCO
36. X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
37. Beyonce - 4
38. Björk - Post
39. Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
40. Yoko Ono - Rykodisc
41. Cyndi Lauper - She's so Unusual
42. Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel
43. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
44. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Once Upon A Time
45. Taylor Swift - Speak Now
46. Salt-n-Pepa - Hot, Cool and Vicious
47. Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
48. Bonnie Raitt - Give It Up
49. The Breeders - Last Splash
50. Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... l-19691231
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: Rolling Stone's Women Who Rock 50 Greatest Albums

Post by JR »

I guess the reply got lost from the other day?

RS originally posted the women list in 2002. Some of the new additions seem of-the-moment driven, even though they may be decent efforts. And, 4 did notably better on year-end lists than Born This Way- but, this is just one outlet.

RS also posted a playlist of 48 songs from the albums appearing on the list, and also another lengthier playlist (including tracks from albums on the list, and not on the list).

Return to “Female artists”