The update is here!

Jackson
Into the Groove

Re: The update is here!

Post by Jackson »

There are only 9 albums that met that criteria, and 7 of them are from the 1990s...

118 | Wu-Tang Clan | Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (202)
207 | Nas | Illmatic (374)
232 | Björk | Post (318)
261 | Neutral Milk Hotel | In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (565)
300 | Elliott Smith | Either/Or (575)
500 | Elliott Smith | XO (666)
1280 | Neneh Cherry | Raw Like Sushi (1784)
1290 | Ben Folds Five | Whatever and Ever Amen (2714)
1305 | The Supremes | Where Did Our Love Go (1881)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jackson wrote:(took a glance at the album list and it didn't look like there was much upheaval, but I did enjoy the boost for Loveless).
"Loveless"'s rise is my biggest satisfaction with the new update, as I believe it to be the best and most influential album of the 90s, ahead of "OK Computer" and "Nevermind" (although it's obvious that AM's list will never agree with my sentiment). I'm grateful to Rock de Lux and Sentire Ascoltare for agreeing with me on that :-D
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Jackson wrote:There are only 9 albums that met that criteria, and 7 of them are from the 1990s...
I had made this list, but you beat me to the post! :D Glad to see Debut there

So excited to come home to this, just what my ached muscles needed after a day of walking. Thank you so much for all the work everyone, especially Henrik, has had to put in over the years to make this list what it is!

Some thoughts: Homogenic (my AT#1) is at its highest point so far, let's crack 200 next time. The Queen Is Dead and Doolittle have also peaked this time (24 and 42 respectively). The B-52's S/T is back in the top 500! However Midnight Boom is out of the Top 3000 :(

Albums with the greatest jump since 2008:

569 - The National - Alligator +1727
539 - Jay Dee - Donuts +1644
621 - Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds +1578
1261 - Low - Things We Lost in the Fire +1468
1290 - Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen +1424
1105 - Kraftwerk - Radio-Aktivität/Radio-Activity +1345
1481 - Miossec - Boire +1330
1096 - Mano Negra - Puta's Fever +1292
941 - Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy +1271
1566 - Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend +1267

Albums that have not moved:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Nirvana - Nevermind
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

Predictions:

Adele - 21 will claim a top 5 of the year spot next update, and possibly even hit the Top 500 AT.
Plastic Beach will enter the Top 1000 in the next few years
Syro will fall out of the Top 1000 in the next few years.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:I really love the additions to the site (especially the genres!). I'm curious, though, if your intention was to completely reflect the genres listed on RYM or not. If so, I think I've noticed a couple mistakes such as Tune-Yards' Nikki Nack only being listed as "art pop" when RYM also has it as "progressive pop."
RYM's genres are based on votes, and therefore change over time. Whenever someone votes for a new genre - reasonable or not - that genre is listed until others votes against it. To not include such "temporary genres" I have either checked the genres at two different times, or looked at the voting statistics. If the voting stats teeters I have usually not included the genre, and this is the case here. Art pop has 43 for/4 against, while progressive pop has 18/17.

I plan to open a special thread for genre discussions.

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:I'm not sure I like the boost for Black Messiah. I love its placement, but that sets a precedent. I don't recall you doing the same for Beyonce's album in 2013 (forgive me if you did) even though it pretty much got the same treatment from the critics. My personal opinion is that the site should reflect as accurately as possible the rankings from the critics and we shouldn't make any assumptions about how high the albums might've climbed under different circumstances. Regardless, the site is yours and I'll back your decisions.
It's actually not a boost, I just didn't use the EOY lists that came out before "Black Messiah". So it is rather that Beyoncé should have gotten the same treatment last year.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Mika
Only Sixteen

Post by Mika »

Excel files are corrupted? At least my excel won't open them. I have Excel 2013
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hi Henrik: I usually don't make too many comments about the updates. I admit that it's not so important for me the exact rise or fall of at any given album or song (anyway I like a lot to see the trends after every new update).
But this update introduces two fantastic features. First the complete lists of albums, songs and artists by nationalities, that's great.
And second (and more important) the introduction of the genres lists, that was awesome! What an improvement! It's fantastic to surf through the lists of every genre and subgenre. And in such an easy way, you simply need to click in the genre! I agree with the choice of the RYM classification, in my opinion it's the best music genre classification out there. Many thanks for that new feature, Henrik!!!
:happy-partydance:
I also like a lot the fact of expanding the cover arts to the Top 10s and not only the Top 5s.
The only thing I'm not absolutely happy is the new design. It looks perfect in mobile phones and tablets but not in my computer. It's not the case of the different lists (they appear complete horizontally) but when I open the main page I need to displace the horizontal bar to see the complete text. Of course this is no problem but given the unused blank space on every side of the screen maybe this could be solved. Anyway it's a minor complain.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Honorio, thanks for the kind words!

About the design, it shouldn't be like that at all. I think you just need to reload the page. Let me know otherwise.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Mika wrote:Excel files are corrupted? At least my excel won't open them. I have Excel 2013
Here are the Excel documents as .xlsx (Excel 2010) files. I hope that helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mika
Only Sixteen

Post by Mika »

still won't open. i have excel 2013
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Henrik wrote:RYM's genres are based on votes, and therefore change over time. Whenever someone votes for a new genre - reasonable or not - that genre is listed until others votes against it. To not include such "temporary genres" I have either checked the genres at two different times, or looked at the voting statistics. If the voting stats teeters I have usually not included the genre, and this is the case here. Art pop has 43 for/4 against, while progressive pop has 18/17.
I see now. Thanks for clearing that up!
Henrik wrote:It's actually not a boost, I just didn't use the EOY lists that came out before "Black Messiah". So it is rather that Beyoncé should have gotten the same treatment last year.
Ah, that sounds much better than I had thought. I have no problem with this.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Mika
Only Sixteen

Post by Mika »

looks like I have some weird excel compatibility issue. No idea what it is. It complains "file is corrupted"
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Mika wrote:looks like I have some weird excel compatibility issue. No idea what it is. It complains "file is corrupted"
One more try. Here are Google Drive links.

Albums:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mKRq ... sp=sharing

Songs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mKRq ... sp=sharing
underdog
Superunknown

Post by underdog »

The update is much appreciated, Henrik!

I love this site and I think that now with the last update it is even better. I particulary like the genres menu. With regard to the choice of RYM, I think it is a good choice, although I generally prefer allmusic and discogs.

Several questions/requests:
- would it be possible to include in the top 3000 albums list the genre of the albums? The genre tree(s) of the website is really great, since it allows to have lists of the top albums of each (sub)genre. It would be great to have the same feature in the Excel files by means of a colum for the genre and another one for the subgenre(s).
- I am curious why a top artist Excel file is not provided to be downloaded, since top artist lists are already available on the website.
- related to the two previous points, I think it would be useful to have the main genre(s) of each artist (the ones corresponding to the main category: electronic, rock, etc). I am aware this is not in line with the genres from RYM and even from the previous design of the web, where many subgenres are/were provided for each artist. It is more in line with sites like allmusic, where only one or two genres are provided for each artists (together with many styles). I think having the main genre of each artist is useful to have a glance of the weight each genre has in the different lists.

Regardless of these small comments, I would like to appreciate again your huge work!

By the way, I don't have problems with the Excel files...
Mika
Only Sixteen

Post by Mika »

Problem solved. This unblocking desribed below solved it. Too secure for me :)

1) Are you unable to open any existing files from Excel 2013 or is this issue only occurs on a specific file?
2) What happens when you try opening the file from within Excel 2013 (Press Ctrl + O and then browse and select the file)?

Try the following and verify the result:

1) Right click on File, Properties, now you can see an option of unblock at the lower part of the dialogue box, uncheck the box and click on OK.

2) a) Open Excel 2013,click on File, Options, Trust Center, Trust center settings.
b) Select Protected view, uncheck all the options under Protected View, OK.
c) Restart Excel 2013 and try to open Excel documents and verify the result.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Jackson wrote:There are only 9 albums that met that criteria, and 7 of them are from the 1990s...

118 | Wu-Tang Clan | Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (202)
207 | Nas | Illmatic (374)
232 | Björk | Post (318)
261 | Neutral Milk Hotel | In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (565)
300 | Elliott Smith | Either/Or (575)
500 | Elliott Smith | XO (666)
1280 | Neneh Cherry | Raw Like Sushi (1784)
1290 | Ben Folds Five | Whatever and Ever Amen (2714)
1305 | The Supremes | Where Did Our Love Go (1881)
On the other hand there are 193 albums who have fallen down the list at each of the 5 updates.
Highest ranked among them is The Stone Roses self titled album (#58) who lost 1 rank on each of the last 3 updates.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Thanks for the update Henrik! This one did add a lot in terms of features. :)
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik, you will apply the genre's system in songs too?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruno wrote:Henrik, you will apply the genre's system in songs too?
This is indeed my next goal with the site! I'm hoping for a lot of help to collect information about the genres. I'll start a new thread about it soon.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Awesome redesign and love the new list. The new entries are helping me discover more music that I hadn't either heard or given a thought to listen to. My ipods are so loaded with music because of this site. One of these days I'll finish listening to all of the albums I've discovered here.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's great to hear that you enjoy the new design and the genre and country lists as much as I do.

There is another thing that has not been mentioned by anyone, but that I enjoy just as much myself, and that's the Spotify lists. While working on the site update I had a great time going to different draft pages of artists and countries to play the songs on these lists. I also like to look through the genre list, dive into a genre and being able to play an album directly. No one else enjoying this?

If you can help me with genres for the ~10,000 songs for the next year's update, I will create genrebased playlists. That would be amazing. I think it would be the ultimate usability of AM!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

It's too bad though that the playlists on the artist and country pages can not be played on mobile devices. I only realised this just before the site update was live. :(

These playlists are so-called tracksets, which I can automatically generate when I create the web pages. I have not built thousands of playlists manually in Spotify!
CosmicMonkey
The Only Way Is Up

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I'm getting 504 timeouts for all Spotify widgets. Does anyone else have this problem?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

CosmicMonkey wrote:I'm getting 504 timeouts for all Spotify widgets. Does anyone else have this problem?
I'm seeing that on the front page, on my phone

Thanks for the update, Henrik :happy-partydance: I assume you are in good health, presently.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Thanks Henrik for this update !!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I see some of the initial formatting issues on the site have been fixed (such as the four rows of letters in the artist tab and the pictures of albums). Now the site look absolutely beautiful.

Also I think the single great battle on the list is that for the top album of 1995 between The Bends and (What's the Story) Morning Glory?:

2008: Oasis 79, The Bends 85
2009: Oasis 86, The Bends 89
2010: The Bends 86, Oasis 87
2013: Oasis 87, The Bends 93
2014: The Bends 80, Oasis 85
2015: Oasis 87, The Bends 88

In 5 updates since 2008, they've traded the top spot 4 times, and they've never been separated by more than 6 places on the list.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Here are the artists/bands with a new number 1 album :

Stevie Wonder : Songs in the Key of Life over Innervisions
The Stooges : Raw Power over Fun House
Bob Marley and the Wailers : Catch a Fire over Natty Dread
Daft Punk : Homework over Discovery
The War on Drugs : Lost in the Dream (new entry) over Slave Ambient
Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention : Hot Rats over We're Only in It for the Money
Bon Iver : For Emma, Forever Ago over Bon Iver (that one needed correction for sure)
St. Vincent : St Vincent (new entry) over Strange Mercy
Steely Dan : Aja over Pretzel Logic
Run the Jewels : Run the Jewels 2 (new entry) over Run the Jewels
Aerosmith : Toys in the Attic over Rocks
Grateful Dead : Live/dead over American Beauty
Motörhead : Ace of Spades over No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Caribou : Our Love (new entry) over Swim
Thelonious Monk : Brilliant Corners over Genius of Modern Music (Volume One)
Sharon Van Etten : Are We There (new entry) over Tramp
ZZ Top : Tres Hombres over Eliminator
The Waterboys : This Is The Sea over Fisherman's Blues
Chuck Berry : Chuck Berry Is On Top over St. Louis to Liverpool
Built to Spill : Keep It Like a Secret over There's Nothing Wrong With Love (the correct answer being Perfect From Now On)
Billy Bragg : Taking with the Taxman About Poetry over Mermaid Avenue
Kyuss : Welcome to Sky Valley over Blues for the Red Sun (good call, but nice to see both climb and Sky Valley even scratch a place into the top 1000)
Kurt Vile : Wakin on a Pretty Daze over Smoke Ring for My Halo
The Decemberists : The Crane Wife over Picaresque
Calexico : Feast of Wire over The Black Light
Blue Öyster Cult : Secret Treaties over Agents of Fortune
Kings of Leon : Youth and Young Manhood over Because of the Times
Ali Farka Touré : Talking Timbuktu over Savane
Caetano Veloso : Estrangeiro over Caetano Veloso
Mastodon : Leviathan over Crack the Skye
The Meters : Rejuvenation over Look-Ka Py Py
Donny Hathaway : Extension of a Man over Live
Linton Kwesi Johnson : Bass Culture over Forces of Victory
Cecil Taylor : Conquistador! over Unit Structures
Amon Düül II : Phallus Dei over Yeti
George Russell : The Jazz Workshop over New York N.Y.
Bill Wither : Just As I Am over Still Bill
The Residents : The Third Reich 'n' Roll over Eskimo
The Sisters of Mercy : First and Last and Always over Floodland
Crystal Castles : Crystal Castles [II] over Crystal Castles
American Music Club : California over Everclear
Townes Van Zandt : The Late Great Townes Van Zandt over Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas
Parquet Courts : Sunbathin Animal (new entry) over Light Up Gold
Scritti Politti : Cupid & Psyche 85 over Songs to Remember
Owen Pallett : In Conflict (new entry) over Heartland
Cabaret Voltaire : Mix-Up over Red Mecca
Girl Talk : Night Ripper over Feed the Animals
Julian Cope : Fried over Peggy Suicide
Henry Mancini : The Music from Peter Gunn over The Pink Panther
Rahsaan Roland Kirk : Rip, Rig and Panic over The Inflated Tear
Pearl Before Swine : Balaklava over One Nation Underground
Motorpsycho : Timothy's Monster (new entry) over Demon Box
Antônio Carlos Jobim : The Composer of Desafinado, Plays over Wave
Rilo Kiley : The Execution of All Things over More Adventurous
Dave Edmunds : Get It over Repeat when Necessary
The Jackson 5 : Triumph over ABC (no longer ranked)
Blonde Redhead : Misery is a Butterfly over 23 (no longer ranked)

And same thing for years (much shorter list) :
1966 : Pet Sounds over Revolver
1995 : (What's the Story) Morning Glory? over The Bends
1998 : Moon Safari over The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
2013 : Modern Vampires of the City over Random Access Memories
1960 : Giant Steps over Sketches of Spain
1961 : Sunday at the Village Vanguard over Two Steps from the Blues
1958 : Lady in Satin over Bo Diddley
1949 : Kiss Me Kate OST over Lee Konitz & Lennie Tristano/Subconscious-Lee
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Greats stats!
Thanks, Nassim!
Schwah
Strange Fruit

Post by Schwah »

Long time, no post. Just had to pop up and give congratulations to Henrik for another monumental and impressive update. Henrik, I remain in awe of and thankful for your site and your work, even if I am unable to participate on the forums any longer.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Cool post, Nassim

I'm always paying attention to the AOTY changes, but I can't even fudging tell anymore when The Bends and Oasis have traded spots
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Listyguy wrote:I see some of the initial formatting issues on the site have been fixed (such as the four rows of letters in the artist tab and the pictures of albums). Now the site look absolutely beautiful.
It probably doesn't matter but I want to clarify that there never were any formatting issues. The problem is that the index.html file was changed to a wider frame, but the old version was still active on some computers. I hope no one is having this problem anymore. (Honorio?)

I had this problem myself, in a strange way. First, I had reload the page (as www.acclaimedmusic.net). It looked good, but then I went to AM again in a new tab using a bookmark (which is saved as acclaimedmusic.net) and it looked weird again! I reloaded the page another time and from then on it has always been ok. I wonder if the problem occurred again because the old file was still saved in the bookmark or if it was because the url was without the www?
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik wrote:
Listyguy wrote:It probably doesn't matter but I want to clarify that there never were any formatting issues. The problem is that the index.html file was changed to a wider frame, but the old version was still active on some computers. I hope no one is having this problem anymore. (Honorio?)

I had this problem myself, in a strange way. First, I had reload the page (as http://www.acclaimedmusic.net). It looked good, but then I went to AM again in a new tab using a bookmark (which is saved as acclaimedmusic.net) and it looked weird again! I reloaded the page another time and from then on it has always been ok. I wonder if the problem occurred again because the old file was still saved in the bookmark or if it was because the url was without the www?
Same problem here.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Well whatever was wrong with my computer I'm glad it's fixed now because the sire looks phenomenal. I particularly love the expansion to the top 10 albums for each year.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Thanks Henrik (and everyone else)! The genres page is a really cool addition.
I feel like that
Brando
I'm New Here

Post by Brando »

JR wrote:Females like Beyonce, Lana Del Ray and Nicki Minaj saw pretty siazable jumps, but, on the whole, females took a big hit in artist ranking. Solo female acts in the top 1,000 dropping by 100+ positions, compared to the 2014 update:

464 (-110). Rihanna
490 (-117). Neko Case
537 (-143). Britney Spears
587 (-104). Alicia Keys
596 (-142). Lady Gaga
702 (-123). Nancy Sinatra
756 (-168). Sarah Vaughan
839 (-137). Annie
856 (-109). Linda Ronstadt
899 (-116). Roberta Flack
986 (-116). Sheryl Crow
990 (-165). Gwen Stefani

These solo females dropped out of the top 1,000:
1,004 (-99). Norah Jones
1,009 (-105). Aimee Mann
1,011 (-56). Kelly Clarkson
1,041 (-168). Peggy Lee
1,062 (-133). Amerie
1,099 (-328) Mariah Carey
1,161 (-201). Nelly Furtado
1,168 (-326). Christina Aguilera
1,289 (-332). Laura Marling
Oh come on, like these lists weren't misogynistic enough. (Or racist enough for that matter).

Critics' lists with little diversity should be weighed a lot less than those with a bigger spectre of genres and countries. It's like all we have towards the very peaks are white males with guitars. It's atrocious and embarrassing. I'm not saying their music is bad (it's excellent), but there's plenty of excellency elsewhere. This discrimination in critics' lists should be reflected on overall rankings.

*this is coming from a white male
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

One word for this years update... AMAZING!!! It is so easy to get lost going through everything and forgetting about work for hours at a time!!!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Henrik wrote:The problem is that the index.html file was changed to a wider frame, but the old version was still active on some computers. I hope no one is having this problem anymore. (Honorio?)
It's working perfectly right now, Henrik (and sorry for not replying before).
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

It still boggles my mind that neither of Eno's best tracks (St. Elmo's Fire and Third Uncle) are even bubbling under.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Finally finished going through this whole update. I don't have all that much to say about it, because there aren't too many earth-shattering developments this time around. The thing that stuck out the most is that especially recent songs but also recent albums mostly took a beating. 2013 was hit particularly hard. The biggest victims besides that where pop hits (anything by Lady Gaga, Rihanna, as well as things like Call Me Maybe) or else audience favorites like One Day Like This, Sex On Fire; things like that. What causes this I don't know.

Old favorites seem to have solidified their positions, however. I think only one Bob Dylan track went down (Mississippi) in ranking, while everything else made a jump (Like a Rolling Stone probably would have too if it could). The Rolling Stones and The Beatles similarly saw most of their songs getting higher, mostly by a lot, especially their lower ranked tracks. I'm not sure if the list is becoming more diverse, but it doesn't feel like it. Although this development isn't particularly big either.

Furthermore not much to say. I like that The SMiLE Sessions by The Beach Boys cracked the list, as well as Lou Reed's Coney Island Baby in the song list. Little things like that are always welcome. It's always a pleasure to go through this list and luckily there is still enough movement in it left to keep it fresh, especially in the lower halves.

So thanks again, Henrik. For this update and the redesign of the site that is very welcome. And for the Spotify playlists too, they are a great addition.
Nick wrote: And now, oh brothers and sister of AM, the year is 2015, and the hour of the update is upon us. "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" has again risen, jumping from position 97 to position 73 on the list of greatest albums of all time. Upon seeing this, the naysayers turned off their computers in shame, and threw themselves prostrate to the ground. "How could we ever doubt you, oh Yeezus?" they cried.
Sadly, the rise of Yeezus is already looking like a fluke. The achievement of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the only victory Kanye West has this year around. Pretty much every song he had went down in ranking, sometimes greatly so. The album Yeezus was expected to hit big last time, but just fell short then and is sinking now. And West got a place in the top 20 artists last year, but no more: he is 21 now. And that is only the beginning of the end. The harder they come, the harder they fall ;)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Rob wrote:
Nick wrote: And now, oh brothers and sister of AM, the year is 2015, and the hour of the update is upon us. "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" has again risen, jumping from position 97 to position 73 on the list of greatest albums of all time. Upon seeing this, the naysayers turned off their computers in shame, and threw themselves prostrate to the ground. "How could we ever doubt you, oh Yeezus?" they cried.
Sadly, the rise of Yeezus is already looking like a fluke. The achievement of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is the only victory Kanye West has this year around. Pretty much every song he had went down in ranking, sometimes greatly so. The album Yeezus was expected to hit big last time, but just fell short then and is sinking now. And West got a place in the top 20 artists last year, but no more: he is 21 now. And that is only the beginning of the end. The harder they come, the harder they fall ;)
I disagree in the sense that it's pretty safe to say that if Ye drops two more albums this decade, he'll easily make the top 20 again. Also I personally think Yeezus is gonna do pretty well in end of decade -lists. I actually don't know why it went down so much - it did pretty well in end of half decade -lists. Only negative thing I can think of is Scaruffi's 4/10 rating being added.

Also as a side note I think 808s and Heartbreak will continue its climb. But I actually agree in a way though with Rob's opinion. Ye has some songs that did really well in EOY lists last decade and this decade that are not gonna do that well in decade lists or all-time lists.
I feel like that
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

PlasticRam wrote:But I actually agree in a way though with Rob's opinion.
It's not much of an opinion really. It's just a tongue-in-cheek reaction to the tongue-in-cheek post by Nick, hence the winking emoticon. I have no idea where West is going, critically. I can see him go either way. My opinion on him is not as negative as my previous post suggested. In fact, I'm something rare in my view of West: I don't particularly love or hate him.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I feel like Yeezus has the rank it does because it came after My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I'm not a huge fan of it as an album. It has some great tracks ("New Slaves" landed in my top 20 all time a few months ago), but overall I think it's kind of weak. The hype surrounding Kanye this decade so far has led to his rise on the AM lists, but I think when the dust settles only MBDTF will survive.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

I'm not worried in the slightest at the dip for Yeezus. It's still a very young album and has ample time to rise up the ranks. I think the end-of-decade polls will do wonders for it, as the album, and Kanye himself, are not easy to forget.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

Thank you for the genre links. Really impressive site upgrade.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

thanks Henrik!

I'm most happy about Kendrick's rise. Hopefully he'll also rise every update until he's finally in the top 50 AT as he deserves.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”