AM Classical Poll: Vocal

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

AM Classical Poll: Vocal

Post by whuntva »

Welcome to another round of the AcclaimedMusic forum first ever Classical poll!

This next round is kind of broad and can encompass many things, but I'll try my best to give you the straight rules.

This was originally only opera, but there are other types of vocal pieces. Acceptable works here are SPECIFIC ARIAS from operas, Gregorian Chant, and oratorios. Though it is not limited to those specific types. Just so long as it is PRIMARILY a vocal piece. There are pieces with singing in them, but if it's not a noted VOCAL piece, it does not count.

DO NOT give me a whole opera. Only a specific aria to keep it as balanced as possible. Also, there must be singing in it! "Ride of the Valkyries" is the overture to the Ring Opera, but as it is only the overture, there is no singing. Those pieces are best reserved for Other.

I will accept a list of at least five. If you want to submit more than fifteen, be my guest. But only the first fifteen will be counted. Top twenty will make it to the final pool of pieces.

Point sum:
1. 50 points
2. 40
3. 30
4. 20
5. 15
6. 10
7. 9
8. 8
9. 7
10. 6
11. 5
12. 4
13. 3
14. 2
15. 1

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPECIFY A RECORDING!! Even now, I think it's okay to have just the piece and not a specific singer, although you can like specific opera singers more than others.

I'll leave it open two weeks.
Last edited by whuntva on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: AM Classical Poll: Vocal

Post by JimmyJazz »

So, Requiem masses aren't acceptable, like from Mozart's Requiem, Britten's War Requiem, Brahms German Requiem, and Verdi's Requiem?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

^^Forgot about that.

Of course they are. I think they're primarily focused on Vocal.

I don't know all the terminology for vocal pieces, but yes, Requiems are fair game. Sorry.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Also, another quick question. I completely understand the opera aria only rule, but what about lengthy pieces? Can I rank the entire requiems, masses, etc? Or only certain passages? It is really hard for me to select one piece out of some of those, compared to opera.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Requiems are kinda like symphonies; known as a whole rather than part.

Whole requiems count.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

What about song cycles, like Die schöne Müllerin (Schubert), Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen (Mahler) or Pierrot Lunaire (Schönberg), do they count as a whole?
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Stop it! You will kill our poor Whuntva :mrgreen:

And what about the vocal parts of the symphonies (Mahler 3rd symphony, Beethoven 9th symphony...)? ;)

More seriously, I annonced the requiem and religious vocals will trust my list.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Oops, I had already a Top 15 of solo instrument pieces ready to post, I though this was the next poll. But it's my fault, I should have asked. So expect a list from me but probably on the last moment, first I need to complete my 1961 list and the second week of Moderately Acclaimed.
I'm quite ambivalent about the "arias-rule" for this vocal part. Probably it's like if in the middle of an albums poll we accept to include some songs. Not a big deal anyway, it's our poll and we make our own rules. In fact I was planning to suggest a kind of "songs poll" after the final Top 125 "albums poll." So (if you don't mind, whuntva) I will vote for the complete opera but I will include also my favourite aria so you can add my votes for this specific aria.
In fact I like the idea, I'm going to select my favorite "song" from my favourite "albums" on the symphonies and concerto polls and later I will edit my posts to include it.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Honorio wrote: I'm quite ambivalent about the "arias-rule" for this vocal part. Probably it's like if in the middle of an albums poll we accept to include some songs. Not a big deal anyway, it's our poll and we make our own rules. In fact I was planning to suggest a kind of "songs poll" after the final Top 125 "albums poll." So (if you don't mind, whuntva) I will vote for the complete opera but I will include also my favourite aria so you can add my votes for this specific aria.
In fact I like the idea, I'm going to select my favorite "song" from my favourite "albums" on the symphonies and concerto polls and later I will edit my posts to include it.
\

This does make sense, but an aria is slightly dfferent from a whole symphony. The name Opera even means "a collection of works" or the plural of opus.

Similarly, there are colletions of works. Oratorios and masses are considered full pieces, but for example, "Carmina Burana" is actually 26 songs in one larger movement.

This category is kinda sketchy screwball-y. I knew it would be, but basically some will be single parts of a whole, some won't be.

Besides, in the Concertos poll, I said Four Seasons and Brandenburg were separate and we went along.
Romain wrote:And what about the vocal parts of the symphonies (Mahler 3rd symphony, Beethoven 9th symphony...)? ;)
I was thinking about this. I wouldn't vote for anything that's already advanced. "Ode to Joy" shouldn't be winning TWO categories.

Basically, guys and gal, just vote whatever you think fits this category and I'll decide if it fits.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

whuntva wrote:Basically, guys and gal, just vote whatever you think fits this category and I'll decide if it fits.
That's OK, of course. By the way I just updated my symphonies list including my favourite "tracks" of them.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

1. G. P. da Palestrina - Missa Papae Marcelli
2. Gustav Mahler - Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
3. Giacomo Puccini - "O mio babbino caro" (Gianni Schicchi)
4. Arnold Schönberg - Pierrot Lunaire
5. Franz Schubert - Der Erlkönig
6. Josquin des Prez - El Grillo
7. J. S. Bach - Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Cantata, BWV 140)
8. Richard Wagner - Liebestod "Mild und leise" (Tristan und Isolde)
9. Guillaume De Machaut - Messe de Nostre Dame
10. Vincenzo Bellini - "Casta Diva" (Norma)
11. Johannes Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem
12. György Ligeti - Aventures
13. G. B. Pergolesi - Stabat Mater
14. Georges Bizet - Habanera "L'Amour est un oiseau rebelle" (Carmen)
15. Orlande de Lassus - Prophetiae Sibyllarum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4TSWg2h3w
Last edited by bonnielaurel on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Just a reminder.

We are still running this portion of the poll for another week.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

whuntva wrote:Just a reminder.

We are still running this portion of the poll for another week.
whuntva, what is the due date? I'm doing a lot of listening this week. Also, I hope this is kept open long enough to ensure a decent amount of submissions come through -- vocal as a category is vast and more nebulous.

For now, here are a couple more modern pieces that I don't want anyone to forget:

Ligeti's terrifying Requiem...
Glass's "Spaceship" from Einstein on the Beach (I guess this is arguably "vocal", but it is from an opera...of sorts)...
And this section from Fausto Romitelli's mind-bending An Index of Metals (thank you Jeff for namechecking this in one of your lists)...
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH "Matthäus-Passion" (St Matthew Passion, 1727). Favourite part: Part I, Segment 1, chori "Kommt, ihr Töchter, helft mir klagen"
Sacred music. The music created by Johann Sebastian Bach to illustrate the passion of Christ is so sublime, so impressive, so otherworldly but at the same time so emotional (just listen to the children's choir on the opening chori) that for me it's the ultimate representation of divinity, portraying it so well that it (almost) makes me believe in God.

2. GIACOMO PUCCINI "Turandot" (1926). Favourite part: Act III, Scene 1, tenor aria "Nessun Dorma"
I recently saw the opera live directed by Zubin Mehta, it's impossible not being deeply moved by the whole Act III.

3. WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART "Die Zauberflöte" (The Magic Flute, 1874). Favourite part: Act II, Scene 3, soprano aria "Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen"
My daughter's favourite music piece when she was a child, I got tons of videos of her singing and acting like a diva.

4. GYÖRGY LIGETI "Lux aeterna" (1966)
The flip side of the Bach piece, here the divinity shows its ominous and terrifying side, God punishing us for our sins.

5. GEORGES BIZET "Carmen" (1875). Favourite part: Act I, Scene 5, mezzo-soprano aria "L'amour est un oiseau rebelle"
Probably the most popular opera ever, set in the French occupation of Spain with Carmen as the rebellious bird.

6. GEORG FRIEDRICH HÄNDEL "Messiah" (1741). Fav: Part II, Scene 7, choral "Hallelujah"
7. GIUSEPPE VERDI "La traviata" (1853). Fav: Act II, Scene 1, tenor and soprano duetto "Che fai?... Amami, Alfredo!"
8. WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART "Requiem Mass in D minor" (1791). Fav: Part III (Sequentia), Segment 6 "Lacrimosa"
9. GIOVANNI PIERLUIGI DA PALESTRINA "Missa Papae Marcelli" (1562). Fav: Part I "Kyrie" (thanks, bonnielaurel!)
10. RICHARD WAGNER "Tristan und Isolde" (Tristan and Isolde, 1859). Fav: Act III, Scene 3, soprano aria "Liebestod: Mild und leise"
11. GEORGE GERSHWIN "Porgy and Bess" (1935). Fav: Act I, Scene 1, soprano aria "Summertime"
12. WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART "Don Giovanni" (1784). Fav: Act II, Scene 5, trio for 2 basses and baritone "Don Giovanni! A cenar teco m'invitasti"
13. ARNOLD SCHÖNBERG "Pierrot lunaire" (1912). Fav: Part II, Segment 1, "Die Nacht (Passacaglia)"
14. MANUEL DE FALLA "El amor brujo" (Love, the Magician, 1914). Fav: Act II, cantaora or mezzo-soprano aria "Canción del fuego fatuo"
15. CLAUDIO MONTEVERDI "Madrigali guerrieri, et amorosi (Libro VIII)" (Madrigals of War and Love, Book VIII, 1638). Fav: Part II (canti amorosi), Madrigal 9, "Lamento della ninfa"

Last edited by Honorio on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Honorio wrote: 9. GIOVANNI PIERLUIGI DA PALESTRINA "Missa Papae Marcelli" (1562). Fav: Part I "Kyrie" (thanks, bonnielaurel!)
My pleasure. This is the only round where the renaissance has a chance. It's an interesting detail that Marcellus II was only pope for three weeks.

For opera I had the problem that my favorite arias don't necessarily come from my favorite operas as a whole. For Bizet's Carmen I recommend the recent version with Elina Garanca.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

OK, I took a shot at this. I didn't realize I liked so much vocal stuff, to be honest, I've always leaned toward orchestral, program music, minimalism, and spectralism.

I sort of listed this by work, but in many cases an individual aria stood out and bumped the placement up (example: Carmen). I honestly rarely take the time to listen to some of these front-to-back due to their length; I have a short attention span that way. I make an exception for requiems though ... I guess I do like my requiems.

Where it pertains, I've put my preferred section/aria in parentheses.

1. Ligeti | Requiem
2. Mozart | Requiem in D minor (Lacrimosa)
3. Bach | Mass in B minor (Kyrie eleison)
4. Glass | Einstein on the Beach (Spaceship)
5. Romitelli | An Index of Metals (Hellucinations 2/3, Risingirl - Earpiercingbells)
6. Monk | Dolmen Music
7. Mozart | Don Giovanni (Act II, Commendatore scene)
8. Bach | St. Matthew Passion (Final Chorus)
9. Schubert | Ave Maria
10. Handel | Messiah (Hallelujah Chorus)
11. Orff | Carmina Burana (O fortuna)
12. Mozart | Die Zauberflöte (Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen)
13. Bizet | Carmen (L'Amour est un oiseau rebelle)
14. Pärt | Te Deum
15. Crumb | Star-child (Musica Apocalyptica)

16. Verdi | Requiem (Dies irae)
17. Penderecki | St. Luke Passion (O crux ave)
18. Ligeti | Clocks and Clouds
19. Schoenberg | Moses und Aron (The Golden Calf and the Altar)
20. Wagner | Tristan und Isolde (Mild und leise)
21. Ligeti | Lux Aeterna
22. Rossini | Il Barbiere di Siviglia (Figaro's Aria)
23. Strauss | Salome (Finale)
24. Fauré | Requiem (Agnus Dei)
25. Bartók | Bluebeard's Castle (Castle Door 5)
26. Britten | War Requiem (Requiem aeternum)
27. Verdi | Aida (Ritorna vincitor)
28. Berg | Lulu (Finale)
29. Pärt | Miserere
30. Schoenberg | Pierrot Lunaire
31. Haydn | The Creation (The Heavens are Telling)
32. Stockhausen | Stimmung (Model 11)
33. Adams | Nixon in China (News)
34. Glass | Akhnaten (Window of Appearances)
35. Messiaen | La Transfiguration de Notre Seigneur Jésus-Christ (O Sacrum Convivium!)
36. Stravinsky | The Rake's Progress (No Word from Tom)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry, whuntva, but I forgot one of my favourite pieces of Spanish classical music, "El amor brujo" by Manuel de Falla. So I edited my list removing "Die Dreigroschenoper" (after all it was more a musical than an opera) and replacing it by "El amor brujo."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Guys, don't forget Francis Poulenc, so much good sacred pieces :

Stabat Mater :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quemnTLY3fE

Agnus Dei :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LThaR6_FdxQ
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Here's the host:

1) Orff-O Fortuna
2) Mozart-Requiem in D
3) Bizet-Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre
4) Handel-Messiah
5) Mozart-Don Giovanni (Act II, Commendatore scene)
6) Mozart-Die Zauberflöte (Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen)
7) Schubert-Ave Maria
8) Bach- Mass in B minor (Kyrie eleison)
9) Adams-On the Transmigration of Souls
10) Bizet-Carmen (L'Amour est un oiseau rebelle)
11) Verdi-La Donna e Mobile
12) Richard Wagner - Liebestod "Mild und leise" (Tristan und Isolde)
13) Verdi-Vedi le fosche notturne
14) Verdi-Aida (Ritorna vincitor)
15) Bach-St. Matthew Passion (Final Chorus)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Here we go (yes I love the sacred music of Poulenc)

1. Poulenc - Stabat Mater
2. Berlioz - Te Deum
3. Brahms - Requiem Allemand
4. Fauré - Requiem
5. Poulenc - Messe en sol majeur (Agnus Dei)
6. Bruckner - Te Deum
7. Mozart - Ave Verum Corpus
8. Bach - Cantate n°147
9. Duruflé - Requiem
10. Zbigniew Preisner - Requiem For My Friend
11. Villa-Lobos - Bacchianas Brasileiras n°7
12. Poulenc - Salve Regina
13. Georges Bizet - Le pêcheur de perles "Je crois entendre encore"
14. Beethoven - Fantaisie Chorale op 80
15. Dvorak - Stabat Mater
16. Vivaldi - Gloria
17. Beethoven - Missa Solemnis
18. Mozart - Requiem
19. Berlioz - Requiem
20. Arvo Pärt - Te Deum
21. Georges Bizet - Carmen "L'amour est un oiseau rebel"
22. Verdi - La petite messe solemnelle
23. Sergey Taneyev - Cantata "John of Damascus"
24. Orff - Carmina Burana
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Don’t mean to be difficult, but this category of “vocal” is a good example of why pieces/songs would’ve been a better choice than works/albums for this classical poll. As I understand it, the rule is to vote for your favourite individual opera arias, but other vocal works have to be considered in their entirety. It’s easy to vote for my favourite opera arias, but much less easy to vote for, say, my favourite requiems/religious works as a whole (hell, I’ve only heard most of the operas, art songs and lieder that’s meant to be great once or twice in their entirety, so I really don’t feel like I’m in a position to rank whole works just yet). So if you don't mind, I’ve decided to rank my favourite pieces, as opposed to whole works, but for the purpose of giving points, the work that each piece is a part of is mentioned in brackets.

1. Giuseppe Verdi - Dies irae (from Messa da Requiem)
2. Giacomo Puccini - Nessun dorma (from Turandot)
3. Franz Schubert - Ave Maria (from Liederzyklus vom Fräulein vom See)
4. Alfredo Catalani - Ebben? Ne andrò lontana (from La Wally)
5. Giacomo Puccini - O mio babbino caro (from Gianni Schicchi)
6. Charles Gounod - Ah, je veux vivre (from Roméo et Juliette)
7. Giacomo Puccini - Un bel dì vedremo (from Madame Butterfly)
8. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen (from The Magic Flute)
9. Richard Strauss - Zueignung (from 8 Gedichte aus 'Letzte Blätter')
10. Giuseppe Verdi - Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves (from Nabucco)
11. Richard Wagner - Liebestod (from Tristan und Isolde)
12. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Alleluja (from Exsultate, jubilate)
13. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Sequentia: Dies irae (from Requiem Mass in D minor)
14. Johann Sebastian Bach - For The First Day Of Christmas - No.1 Chorus: "Jauchzet, frohlocket" (from Christmas Oratorio)
15. Franz Lehár, Fritz Löhner-Beda and Ludwig Herzer - Dein ist mein ganzes Herz (from The Land of Smiles)

Last edited by Dan on Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
...will keep us together.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

This was a tough one! I apologize for not following the eligibility discussions too closely, but I hope everything is in the correct format! Entries with parenthenticals are specific movements/sections of lengthier pieces; these can be considered my votes if it makes things easier.

1. Franz Schubert - Winterreise ("Lindenbaum")
2. Johannes Brahms - Eine Deutsches Requiem ("Denn Alles Fleisch")
3. Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach, Knee 5
4. G.F. Handel - Messiah, "Hallelujah Chorus"
5. Richard Strauss - Four Last Songs ("September")
6. W.A. Mozart - Requiem ("Confutatis")
7. Gyorgy Ligeti - Requiem ("Kyrie")
8. Carl Orff - Carmina Burana ("O Fortuna")
9. Orlando Lassus - Tristus est anima mea
10. Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach, Knee 4
11. Gyorgi Ligeti - Lux aeterna
12. Kurt Weill - Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny, "Alabama Song"
13. Richard Wagner - Siegfried, Act III - Love Duet
14. Arvo Part - Te Deum
15. Arnold Schoenberg - Pierrot Lunaire
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

OK poll is done.

If anything, this round exposed some of the holes in the poll, but we made it work.

I am currently tallying the results, once those go live we can move on to Chamber/Ensemble.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Well, this definitely had the most...diverse voting of the poll!

This is probably one of the lower-scoring rounds also. It was weird to run essentially a songs poll in the middle of an "albums" one, but I made it work.

In some cases, one first-place vote on one ballot was enough to secure a place.

1)Mozart-Requiem/101 points
2)Puccini-Nessun Dorma/80 points
3) Johannes Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem/75 points
4) Orff-O Fortuna/63 points
5) JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH "Matthäus-Passion"/59 points
6) Ligeti-Requiem/59 points
7) G. B. Pergolesi - Stabat Mater/53 points
8) Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen"/52 points
9) Schubert-Lindenbaum/50 points
10) Verdi-Dies Irae/50 points
11) G. P. da Palestrina - Missa Papae Marcelli/50 points
12) Schubert-Ave Maria/46 points
13) Giacomo Puccini - "O mio babbino caro" (Gianni Schicchi)/45 points
14) Arnold Schönberg - Pierrot Lunaire/44 points
15) Berlioz-Te Duem/40 points
16) Gustav Mahler - Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen/40 points
17) Bach-Kyrie Elision/38 points
18) Glass-Einstein on the Beach Knee 5/30 points
19) Bizet-Votre toast, je peux vous le render/30 points
20) Mozart-Don Giovanni Act II Aria/28 points
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

whuntva wrote:Well, this definitely had the most...diverse voting of the poll!

This is probably one of the lower-scoring rounds also. It was weird to run essentially a songs poll in the middle of an "albums" one, but I made it work.

In some cases, one first-place vote on one ballot was enough to secure a place.

1)Mozart-Requiem/101 points
2)Puccini-Nessun Dorma/80 points
3) Johannes Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem/75 points
4) Orff-O Fortuna/63 points
5) JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH "Matthäus-Passion"/59 points
7) G. B. Pergolesi - Stabat Mater/53 points
8) Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen"/52 points
9) Schubert-Lindenbaum/50 points
10) Verdi-Dies Irae/50 points
11) G. P. da Palestrina - Missa Papae Marcelli/50 points
12) Schubert-Ave Maria/46 points
13) Giacomo Puccini - "O mio babbino caro" (Gianni Schicchi)/45 points
14) Arnold Schönberg - Pierrot Lunaire/44 points
15) Berlioz-Te Duem/40 points
16) Gustav Mahler - Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen/40 points
17) Bach-Kyrie Elision/38 points
18) Glass-Einstein on the Beach Knee 5/30 points
19) Bizet-Votre toast, je peux vous le render/30 points
20) Mozart-Don Giovanni Act II Aria/28 points
I think, my number one (1. Poulenc - Stabat Mater) is not here.

And just some small corrections : It's Kyrie Eleison, Te Deum and, "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre" ;-)

EDIT : you have put the point of the Stabat Mater by Poulenc to the Stabat Mater of Pergolesi, be careful, the 7th is no more in the list.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Yes, Romain is right.

This was indeed a category with a lot of diversity, from Palestrina to Ligeti. I think the result is a good mixture of different periods and styles.

I like the idea of someone listening to The Sex Pistols for the 70s poll, then switching to sacred music for this poll.
I am the Antichrist! Kyrie Eleison... :music-listening:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

bonnielaurel wrote:Yes, Romain is right.

This was indeed a category with a lot of diversity, from Palestrina to Ligeti. I think the result is a good mixture of different periods and styles.

I like the idea of someone listening to The Sex Pistols for the 70s poll, then switching to sacred music for this poll.
I am the Antichrist! Kyrie Eleison... :music-listening:
It's work in the other way : Taylor Swif :music-listening: -> Ligeti's requiem :o :mrgreen:
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry, sorry, sorry whuntva, I didn't want to correct you but I was puzzled by the absence of Händel's "Messiah" on the top 20 (it was voted by 4 of 7 voters) so I decided to compile the votes myself and I detected some mistakes:
a) The first 6 positions are correct.
b) Pergolesi's "Stabat Mater" obtained the votes of Poulenc's "Stabat Mater" (as Romain noticed), so it should be removed from #7 position
c) #7 should be Palestrina's "Missa Papae Marcelli" (with 57 points, 50 from bonnielaurel and 7 from me).
d) #8 should be Händel's "Messiah" with 56 points.
e) Mozart aria from "The Magic Flute" should descend to #9
f) Tied on #10 should be Verdi's "Requiem," Schubert' "Winterreise" and Poulenc's "Stabat Mater", with 50 points each.
g) Next are Schubert's "Ave Maria" (#13, 46 points) and Puccini's "O mio babbino caro" (#14, 45 points).
h) Schönberg's "Pierrot lunaire” should be removed from position 14, I only counted 20 points from bonnielaurel, 3 points from me and 1 point from Kingoftonga, so 24 in total and not 44.
i) The next are correct, with Mahler and Berlioz tied on #15 with 40 points, Bach's "Mass in B minor" on #17, Glass and Bizet tied on #18 and Mozart's "Don Giovanni" on #20.

The corrected list:
1) Mozart-Requiem Mass in D minor/101 points
2) Puccini-Nessun Dorma (from Turandot)/80 points
3) Brahms-Ein Deutsches Requiem/75 points
4) Orff-O Fortuna (from Carmina Burana)/63 points
5) Bach-Matthäus-Passion/59 points
7) Palestrina-Missa Papae Marcelli/57 points
8) Händel-Messiah/56 points
9) Mozart-Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen (from The Magic Flute)/52 points
10) Poulenc-Stabat Mater/50 points
10) Schubert-Winterreise/50 points
10) Verdi-Requiem/50 points
13) Schubert-Ave Maria/46 points
14) Puccini-O mio babbino caro (from Gianni Schicchi)/45 points
15) Mahler-Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen/40 points
15) Berlioz-Te Deum/40 points
17) Bach-Mass in B minor/38 points
18) Bizet-Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre (from Carmen)/30 points
18) Glass-Knee 5 (from Einstein on the Beach)/30 points
20) Mozart-Commendatore Scene (from Don Giovanni)/28 points

whuntva, I could send you the Excel file if you want.

On more thing (and again at the risk of sounding annoying), looking at our list I see that we voted one aria from every opera except in two cases, Bizet's "Carmen" ("Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre" and "L'amour est un oiseau rebelle") and Glass' "Einstein on the Beach" ("Knee 5," "Spaceship" and "Knee 6"). If we group the votes for the "songs" into "albums" (like in fact we did with Mozart' "Requiem" and Bach's "St. Matthew Passion") we obtain the following "albums" list:
1) Mozart-Requiem Mass in D minor/101 points
2) Puccini-Turandot/80 points
3) Brahms-Ein Deutsches Requiem/75 points
4) Orff-Carmina Burana/63 points
5) Bach-Matthäus-Passion/59 points
7) Palestrina-Missa Papae Marcelli/57 points
8) Händel-Messiah/56 points
8) Bizet-Carmen/56 points
8) Glass-Einstein on the Beach/56 points
11) Mozart-The Magic Flute/52 points
12) Poulenc-Stabat Mater/50 points
12) Schubert-Winterreise/50 points
12) Verdi-Requiem/50 points
15) Schubert-Liederzyklus vom Fräulein vom See/46 points
16) Puccini- Gianni Schicchi/45 points
17) Mahler-Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen/40 points
17) Berlioz-Te Deum/40 points
19) Bach-Mass in B minor/38 points
20) Mozart-Don Giovanni/28 points

whuntva, it's up to you which one you will use for the final list (in fact the second list includes the first but with the complete works).
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

OK thanks. I was half asleep when compling the list. I use the first list as it fits the original rules. Thank you!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”