AMF Chart Week 7 2015

Vote for up to 5 of your favorite songs!

Poll ended at Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:00 pm

AWOLNATION - "Hollow Moon (Bad Wolf)"
2%
Belle and Sebastian - "Nobody's Empire"
9%
Ben Howard - "End of the Affair"
4%
Björk - "Black Lake"
10%
Courtney Barnett - "Pedestrian at Best"
8%
Emile Haynie feat. Lana Del Rey - "Wait for Life"
1%
Father John Misty - "Holy Shit"
3%
Father John Misty - "I Love You, Honeybear"
7%
Ibeyi - "River"
4%
Kanye West feat. Paul McCartney - "Only One"
4%
Kendrick Lamar - "The Blacker the Berry"
8%
Lower Dens - "To Die in L.A."
1%
Natalie Prass - "It Is You"
6%
The Phantom Band - "Denise Hopper"
2%
Pond - "Elvis' Flaming Star"
4%
Rhiannon Giddens - "Don't Let It Trouble Your Mind"
1%
Sharon Van Etten - "Your Love Is Killing Me"
9%
Sleater-Kinney - "No Cities to Love"
7%
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - "Multi-Love"
4%
Viet Cong - "Silhouettes"
4%

Total votes: 90

Setherex
Movin' On Up

AMF Chart Week 7 2015

Post by Setherex »

Welcome to Week 7 of the AMF Chart! The chart where we've expressed explicitly our contempt for matrimony.

Here are your rankings for Week 6 (number of weeks on the chart so far in parentheses):
1. Belle and Sebastian - "Nobody's Empire" (5)
2. Björk - "Black Lake" (3)
3. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (10)
4. Sleater-Kinney - "No Cities to Love" (1)
5. Sharon Van Etten - "Your Love Is Killing Me" (9)
6. Courtney Barnett - "Pedestrian at Best" (2)
6. Natalie Prass - "It Is You" (2)
8. Ben Howard - "End of the Affair" (3)
9. Viet Cong - "Silhouettes" (5)
10. Kanye West feat. Paul McCartney - "Only One" (6)
11. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - "Multi-Love" (1)
12. Lupe Fiasco - "Mural" (2)
13. Bob Dylan - "That Lucky Old Sun" (1)
13. Desperate Journalist - "Control" (1)
13. Makthaverskan - "Witness" (1)
13. Will Butler - "Anna" (1)
17. Amason - "Duvan" (1)
17. Fall Out Boy - "Uma Thurman" (1)
19. Laura Marling - "Short Movie" (6)
20. Gaz Coombes - "20/20" (1)
Total Votes: 96

Congratulations to Alvvays' "Archie, Marry Me" for entering our Hall of Fame! As Andre has pointed out, Alvvays is (probably) the song with the highest vote count we've ever had in our poll, if not close to the top. And it definitely deserves to be, in this chart-maker's opinion. Hopefully we'll see one more piece join it atop the sacred pedestal before our 2014 records come to a close. Due to Alvvays' retirement from the chart, the top 10 songs otherwise made it through to this week's chart.

2015 Chart-Toppers by Week (by vote count, not chart position; total weeks atop chart in parentheses):
1. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (2) / Kanye West feat. Paul McCartney - "Only One"
2. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (3)
3. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (4)
4. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (5) / Belle and Sebastian - "Nobody's Empire"
5. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (6)
6. Belle and Sebastian - "Nobody's Empire" (2)

2014 Hall of Fame (10 weeks of advancing votes; automatically retired from chart):
St. Vincent - "Digital Witness" (Week 1-14)
Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (Week 1-11)
Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (Week 2-14)
tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain" (Week 9-18)
Future Islands - "Seasons (Waiting on You)" (Week 10-19)
The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure" (Week 10-19)
Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" (Week 15-24)
The Black Keys - "Weight of Love" (Week 16-25)
Owen Pallett - "The Riverbed" (Week 17-26)
Jon Allen - "Night and Day" (Week 18-27)
First Aid Kit - "My Silver Lining" (Week 19-28)
Spoon - "Do You" (Week 22-31)
Interpol - "All the Rage Back Home" (Week 25-34)
Röyksopp & Robyn - "Every Little Thing" (Week 27-36)
Sun Kil Moon - "Micheline" (Week 28-37)
Leonard Cohen - "Almost Like the Blues" (Week 31-40)
Sharon Van Etten - "Our Love" (Week 31-40)
Spoon - "Outlier" (33-42)
Sharon Van Etten - "Every Time the Sun Comes Up" (41-4)
Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (43-6)

Songs that entered the chart in 2014 will be added to the 2014 Hall of Fame, rather than the 2015 Hall of Fame.

Here is this week's 19-song Spotify chart (with 1 song included below via YouTube link):

Here is your 2015 AMF Chart playlist of all songs on the chart so far this year:

Thank you all for voting and nominating continuously every week! Please don't be afraid to supply us with nominations - all songs six months old and younger (or who have received promotion via album/video/single in the last six months) are accepted! And seconding nominations by others' gives those songs a better chance at making the next poll!

As per usual, the next poll will be created as close to Sunday at 18:00 UTC as I can make it. Best of voting! :D
Last edited by Setherex on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Re: AMF Chart Week 7 2015

Post by DocBrown »

Setherex, I want to nominate "Don't Wanna Fight" by Alabama Shakes. And I don't wanna fight about it.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I'll nominate "Unconditional Rebel" by siska.
There is No More Firmament.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I'd like to nominate Sufjan Stevens - No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross and Modest Mouse - Coyotes. Both videoclips are pretty nice too, especially the last one.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Gillingham wrote:I'd like to nominate Sufjan Stevens - No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross and Modest Mouse - Coyotes. Both videoclips are pretty nice too, especially the last one.
"Coyotes" was already on the chart a couple of weeks ago.
There is No More Firmament.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'd like to second the nomination for "Don't Wanna Fight" by Alabama Shakes.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Setherex wrote:Congratulations to Alvvays' "Archie, Marry Me" for entering our Hall of Fame! As Andre has pointed out, Alvvays is (probably) the song with the highest vote count we've ever had in our poll, if not close to the top. And it definitely deserves to be, in this chart-maker's opinion. Hopefully we'll see one more piece join it atop the sacred pedestal before our 2014 records come to a close. Due to Alvvays' retirement from the chart, the top 10 songs otherwise made it through to this week's chart.
And that means, Unknown Mortal Orchestra just squeezed through. Multi-lovely!

One more week and the 2014 AMF chart curtains can finally fall. Everybody wants to marry Archie, but Sharon can still spoil it for him because her love is killing him (or was the other way around?). Next week I hope to be skiing down hill, so you will need to wait a bit for my final stats.

So many great female performers in 2015! Can you handle 3 more female nominations:
1. Florence + The Machine - What Kind Of Man
2. Denai Moore - Blame
3. Natalia Lafourcade - Hasta La Raíz
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

I'd like to throw a wrinkle into this week's nomination :? :

Everybody loves Father John Misty, (for very good reason!), but I believe we've missed the boat on the nominated songs, (so far), from his new release. I'd like to suggest, (and nominate), 'Strange Encounter' after one of the two current tracks drops off the list. Would it be possible to leave this one in our back pocket until then or do I need to nominate it again at a later date? I don't believe it would be healthy to have three songs at the same time from the same artist in our weekly competition but it could be fun. What d'ya think? ;)
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

Guess I had no luck for Jazmine Sullivan's Dumb and Juanes' Junto, :angry-banghead:

This week I'll nominate 3 new songs:
Chromatics - Just Like You
Zola Jesus - Compass
Africa Express - Africa Express Presents... Terry Riley's In C Mali

also seconding Florence and the Machine's What Kind of Man and the Latin song Hasta la Raiz by Natalie LaFourcade. (diversity is always welcome!!!)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

tombeet wrote:Africa Express - Africa Express Presents... Terry Riley's In C Mali
I second this nomination, though I must warn people that it's a 40 minute long song if I'm not mistaken. Then again I would recommend this as an album; it's my favorite release of 2014. Released physically in 2015 I guess.

Edit: And I think people can kind of get the gist of this in like five minutes if they don't have 40 min to give of their life. It's one of those progressive minimalistic things.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Rdwdbob wrote:I'd like to throw a wrinkle into this week's nomination :? :

Everybody loves Father John Misty, (for very good reason!), but I believe we've missed the boat on the nominated songs, (so far), from his new release. I'd like to suggest, (and nominate), 'Strange Encounter' after one of the two current tracks drops off the list. Would it be possible to leave this one in our back pocket until then or do I need to nominate it again at a later date? I don't believe it would be healthy to have three songs at the same time from the same artist in our weekly competition but it could be fun. What d'ya think? ;)
Also I second this nomination. I tried to say last week that maybe there is a better song on "I Love You, Honeybear" than "Holy Shit" which I did nominate, but maybe I inadvertently nominated the title song too, I have no idea. But whatever the case, I think the two songs right now on the chart should stay if there's enough support and I see no reason why there couldn't be a third song.
I feel like that
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

ordinaryperson wrote:
Gillingham wrote:I'd like to nominate Sufjan Stevens - No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross and Modest Mouse - Coyotes. Both videoclips are pretty nice too, especially the last one.
"Coyotes" was already on the chart a couple of weeks ago.
Ah, thanks for telling. Haven't been paying attention apperently. Then again, I wasn't around in the first three weeks of January.
CosmicMonkey
The Only Way Is Up

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Gillingham wrote:I'd like to nominate Sufjan Stevens - No Shade in the Shadow
I'd like to second Sufjan's nomination.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

PlasticRam wrote:Also I second this nomination. I tried to say last week that maybe there is a better song on "I Love You, Honeybear" than "Holy Shit" which I did nominate, but maybe I inadvertently nominated the title song too, I have no idea. But whatever the case, I think the two songs right now on the chart should stay if there's enough support and I see no reason why there couldn't be a third song.
Sorry for the confusion Plastic - I did actually only count your "Holy Shit" nomination from last week. The "I Love You, Honeybear" nomination came from the MegaCritic chart (I have to accept one nomination from entering albums on MCCh in the event that none of the three "highlights" have already been nominated to the chart - turns out "Holy Shit" wasn't one of the three highlights).
Rdwdbob wrote:I'd like to throw a wrinkle into this week's nomination :? :

And of course Rdwd! I'll take your "Strange Encounter" nomination (and Plastic's seconding of that nomination), only on the stipulation that one of the two FJM songs gets eliminated next week. Though of course you will need to re-nominate in the future if that doesn't occur this week.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

acroamor wrote:I'd like to second the nomination for "Don't Wanna Fight" by Alabama Shakes.
+1
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Andre wrote:3. Natalia Lafourcade - Hasta La Raíz
tombeet wrote:also seconding Florence and the Machine's What Kind of Man and the Latin song Hasta la Raiz by Natalie LaFourcade. (diversity is always welcome!!!)
I have to take this opportunity to advertise for what is possibly my favorite song of the decade so far (yes, really!):

Let's make it the big surprise of the half decade poll! :D
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I'd like to nominate One Man Can Change the World by Big Sean, featuring Kanye West and John Legend.
I feel like that
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Henrik wrote:I have to take this opportunity to advertise for what is possibly my favorite song of the decade so far (yes, really!):

Let's make it the big surprise of the half decade poll! :D
I was not planning to participate in the half decade poll, but this is for sure a very nice song!
mariosalem
Debut

Post by mariosalem »

tombeet wrote::
Chromatics - Just Like You
+1 plzzzz
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

My day prior reminder to get your votes, nominations and seconding of nominations in before tomorrow's new poll!

A big, big +1 for my homie Sufjan Stevens' new single. He, like, gets me, guys. You know? You know. My week's other nominations:
Drake - "Know Yourself"
Colleen Green - "Deeper Than Love"
Heems feat. Dev Hynes - "Home"
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

I'd like to nominate "Christine" by Christine and the Queens, and "Falling Short" by Lapsley

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”