Albums of 2015

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: Albums of 2015

Post by Nick »

2 Things

1. Pedestrian at Best is amazing

2. Father John Misty's new album, "I Love You, Honeybear", is also amazing. My AOTY thus far.
Abel Smith
Superunknown

Post by Abel Smith »

Hello everyone. Newbie here. Been a long-term lurker and have finally come out of the shadows to join in.

I've heard a few good releases so far this year. Here are my favourites;

1. Ghost Culture - Ghost Culture
2. Death Grips - Fashion Week
3. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper
4. Caribou Vibration Ensemble - CVE Live 2011 (EP)
5. Flug 8 - Trans Atlantik
6. Jape - This Chemical Sea
7. John Carpenter’s Lost Themes

Although technically released last year, this next album only got a UK release yesterday. Therefore I'm going to include it!
8. The Dø - Shake Shook Shaken

Can I include remix albums? If so;
9. The Mike Maurro Peak Hour Remixes

There's loads of stuff I'm looking forward to this year;

Jon Hopkins - Late Night Tales
Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase
Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space
East India Youth - Culture Of Volume
Toro Y Moi - What For?
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love
Chromatics - Dear Tommy

Thanks for having me onboard!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Welcome Abel!

Nice first post, especially because Hopkins new release wasn't on my radar yet. Do you maybe have more information about it? Immunity was fantastic.
Abel Smith
Superunknown

Post by Abel Smith »

Gillingham wrote:Welcome Abel!

Nice first post, especially because Hopkins new release wasn't on my radar yet. Do you maybe have more information about it? Immunity was fantastic.
Hi Gillingham!

Immunity was a fine album indeed. I saw Hopkins perform last December and it was an outstanding gig.

Are you aware of the Late Night Tales series? I don't want to patronise you if you are, but they basically invite an artist to do a kind of 'chill out' mix. For example, last year Django Django, Bonobo and Franz Ferdinand all did a turn.

I have collected the whole series so far (it's been running since the early 00s) and they really are fantastic and open your ears up to all kinds of music you may otherwise never have heard.

Well, Hopkins has been invited to do the next one. Although the artist must also include a cover version of their choice in the mix, which can make for quite fun listening! Belle & Sebastian covered The Primitives' Crash on their Late Night Tales mix!

Here's a link to the Late Night Tales website if you're interested. If you already know about it, then sorry for teaching you to suck eggs :D

http://latenighttales.co.uk

EDIT Oh, and Hopkin's Late Night Tales Mix is out on March 1st.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Abel Smith wrote:Hello everyone. Newbie here. Been a long-term lurker and have finally come out of the shadows to join in.

7. John Carpenter’s Lost Themes

Although technically released last year, this next album only got a UK release yesterday. Therefore I'm going to include it!
8. The Dø - Shake Shook Shaken
Hello and welcome. :greetings-waveyellow:

Very curious about the John Carpenter's lost themes and very happy to see another like for Shake Shook Shaken !
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thanks a lot for the info and the link Abel. No, I wasn't aware of the Late Night Tales series. Sounds pretty interesting.
Abel Smith
Superunknown

Post by Abel Smith »

Romain wrote:
Hello and welcome. :greetings-waveyellow:

Very curious about the John Carpenter's lost themes and very happy to see another like for Shake Shook Shaken !
Hello Romain!

If you enjoy John Carpenter's film scores then there's definitely something you'll like on this album. And yes, Shake Shook Shaken is a cracking little pop album. Not really a duff track on it.
Gillingham wrote:Thanks a lot for the info and the link Abel. No, I wasn't aware of the Late Night Tales series. Sounds pretty interesting.
No worries, Gillingham. They're definitely worth checking out. Shame it's not a new Jon Hopkins album, so sorry if I disappointed you! But I do think it'll be a good listen anyway. I've ordered the vinyl; that's how certain I am :D.
They always supply you with download links to the individual tracks too, which I think is a nice touch.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

1. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth (8.5)
2. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (8.5)
3. Viet Cong - Viet Cong (8.0)
4. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper (7.5)
5. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love (7.0)
6. Joey Badass - B4.DA.$$ (6.0)

Edit: Almost forgot the fantastic Viet Cong.
Last edited by GucciLittlePiggy on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'm listening to Gliss Riffer, the newest release from Dan Deacon, and it's really blowing me away. Easily my favorite of the new year so far. In an interview, he said that it's the most fun he's ever made making an album and that feeling really shines here.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Father John Misty-I Love You, Honeybear
Lupe Fiasco-Tetsuo and Youth
Bjork-Vulnicura
Panda Bear-Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
Bob Dylan-Shadows in the Night
Belle & Sebastian-Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance
Sleater Kinney-No Cities To Love
Natalie Prass-Natalie Prass
Viet Cong-Viet Cong
The Decemberists-What A Beautiful World, What A Terrible World
Fall Out Boy-American Beauty/American Psycho
Doomtree-All Hands
Last edited by notbrianeno on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Very nice discovery with Mourn this morning, very simple relatively low-fi indie album with a nod to early PJ Harvey. The opening track is particularly great.

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
Mourn - Mourn
Gaz Coombes - Matador
John Carpenter - Lost Themes
Viet Cong - Viet Cong
Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
BC Camplight - How To Die In The North
Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
Bjork - Vulnicura
Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep 
Panda Bear - Panda Bear meets the Grim Reaper

Pretty much anything between Natalie Prass and Father John Misty might be switched around after a few more listens. Panda Bear probably would deserve a more focused listen, I actually think I slept thourgh the middle of it.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I have mixed feelings about Father John Misty. It has some nice melodies, but some of the lyrics come off like a college freshman venting on Facebook. "SAVE ME PRESIDENT JESUS!"

Yeah, Bob Dylan at that age expressed similar sentiment but with elegance and nuance instead of glib sarcasm.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jirin wrote:I have mixed feelings about Father John Misty. It has some nice melodies, but some of the lyrics come off like a college freshman venting on Facebook. "SAVE ME PRESIDENT JESUS!"

Yeah, Bob Dylan at that age expressed similar sentiment but with elegance and nuance instead of glib sarcasm.
Yeah so I haven't quite got what the lyrics mean. Is this a Christian album, an album making fun of Christians, or neither, or both?
I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

That particular lyric is making fun of the extreme bible-thumping variety of US Christians who have a feeling of divine entitlement about their country's power.
drewcannon3
Start Me Up

Post by drewcannon3 »

Peace - Happy People
Wardell - Love / Idleness
Twerps - Range Anxiety
Belle & Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance

Those top two albums both came out Tuesday and are big time.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

So Drake just dropped an album and now everyone is switching from KTT to Yeezytalk cos Mike Dean is giving them all the scoops. A lot of things happening right now.
I feel like that
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

KTT has pure chaos as of late. Haven't looked at Yeezytalk.

Listening to Drakes album currently, really liking what I'm hearing so far!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

notbrianeno wrote:KTT has pure chaos as of late. Haven't looked at Yeezytalk.

Listening to Drakes album currently, really liking what I'm hearing so far!
I like the layout and everything better on KTT. Hopefully people will stay on KTT, I mean literally the only good thing about Yeezytalk is that it has Mike Dean.

What I think about every one of Drake's four albums is that they're good, but not great. This new one is no exception.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

About Bob Dylan's Shadows in the Night, as some have mentioned it was somewhat a surprise how well it was received. It sounded like one of his minor side projects, but people seem to like it more than most of those. When I heard that Dylan was going to sing standards made famous by Frank Sinatra I was a little skeptical, but as a fan of Dylan I was always going to give it a try, so the favorable reviews were a nice preparation.

However, after four listens I find myself to be slightly disappointed. It's true that his voice sounds more clear and just generally better than it has in perhaps decades. Yet, it just doesn't sound very lively to me. Perhaps Dylan isn't so suited to smooth sounds like these. There seems little depth of feeling here. It's not a bad record exactly, but I doubt I will return to it as often as most Dylan albums.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

First top ten of the year:

1. Viet Cong - Viet Cong
2. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
3. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Three: River Run Thee
4. Tonik Ensemble - Snapshots
5. Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
6. Mount Eerie - Sauna
7. The Decemberists - What a Terrible Wolds, What a Beautiful World
8. Pops Staples - Don't Lose This
9. John Carpenter - Lost Themes
10. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass

Number one and two are head to head.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

All this talk of Drake and Kanye and no one thought to mention Kendrick Lamar!!
Amazing intense song. I'm really really interested to see what Kendrick can do.

P.S. I do realise there's no actual album yet...but comparing Kanye's latest release (Yeezus) to Kendrick's (GKMC) means that I'm much much more excited for Kendrick at this point (even though Kanye stands alongside Zappa/Dylan for me)

Edit: apparently there are Flying Lotus beats as well as production from Thundercat, Robert Glasper etc...I am beyond excited. 2015 could be an all-star year for hip-hop...Kanye, Drake, Kendrick. Frank Ocean maybe?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I definitely like that song.

Just as random trivia, "The Blacker the Berry" features vocals by Assassin, who also provided vocals for "I'm in It".
I feel like that
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

PlasticRam wrote:So Drake just dropped an album
I listened to the first half of the album and I thought it was pretty solid, though the beats sounded too similar to each other. I actually think Nothing Was the Same was a masterpiece so he had quite the act to follow for me. I don't think I'll ever feel about this album anything close to how I feel about his last one, but I still need to listen to the whole thing, though.

Anyway, what I'm wondering now is will Views from the 6 still be released this year? Or is this supposed to be that album under a different name?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Decemberists-What A Terrible World, What a beautiful World 4.5/5
Dodos-Individ 4/5
Doomtree-All Hands 4/5

Pretty good for now. And with teasers from Florence + the Machine and British India, this ould be a good year for music.

That's all I heard. I actually really liked the New Decemberists. It reminds me a lot of Civil-War era ballads.

Any quick recommendations? And if you an, please direct me to Vulnicura. That'd be nice of you.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:So Drake just dropped an album
I listened to the first half of the album and I thought it was pretty solid, though the beats sounded too similar to each other. I actually think Nothing Was the Same was a masterpiece so he had quite the act to follow for me. I don't think I'll ever feel about this album anything close to how I feel about his last one, but I still need to listen to the whole thing, though.

Anyway, what I'm wondering now is will Views from the 6 still be released this year? Or is this supposed to be that album under a different name?
I've always been aware of Drake but for some reason in my head aligned him with people like Jason Derulo or something, so I've never really given him a listen. So here goes.

I really like the beats and sounds, and as with all hip-hop it's gonna take me a lot more listens to get the lyrical and stylistic nuances. But the feel of the songs are lovely and I'll definitely be listening to it more. "Know Yourself" is the first song to stick out to me.

Is Drake someone who's worth listening to chronologically? Or should I just start with Nothing Was The Same?
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Zorg wrote:Is Drake someone who's worth listening to chronologically? Or should I just start with Nothing Was The Same?
I haven't listened to his first LP so I can't comment on it, but Take Care is a good record. I just think it has some less-than-stellar tracks that make its 80 minute runtime seem incredibly long. AM has it higher than Nothing Was the Same but I can't imagine that staying that way for long. But all in all, his records are pretty similar so I don't think you could go wrong no matter where you start.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

To be honest, (though I do like it) I was a little disappointed by Viet Cong, especially since I'm such a sucker for post-punk.

My two personal favorite albums of the year so far are Bjork and Lupe Fiasco. I've always liked Lupe's albums, but never loved them. I love this...

Many people have been asking if there's anywhere they can hear "Vulnicura." I couldn't find it, either, but based upon the strong recommendations from so many people I respect, I decided to buy the album upon good faith alone. It's the best money I've spent in a long time. Marvelous, dark production from Arca and the Haxan Cloak. (But then, would you expect anything less?)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Pitchfork agrees with me about the consistency of Drake's albums, the ratings of his last four projects are 8.4; 8.6; 8.6 and now IYRTITL got 8.3 BNM.

Though I just listened to Thank Me Later and actually thought that was really good and put it on my all-time albums list. That's prolly an unpopular opinion to have as to what Drake's best album is. I think most people would say Take Care.
I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I still care about Pitchfork enough to consider their 'Best New Music' section a recommendation, but I haven't had a discovery from them that I couldn't have gotten elsewhere at the time since Silent Shout.

My current 2015 list:

1) Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
2) Viet Cong - Vient Cong
3) Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
4) Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
5) Mount Eerie - Sauna
6) Punch Brothers - The Phosphorescent Blues
7) Belle And Sebastian - Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
8) The Decemberists - What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World
9) Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Repaer
10) Dodos - Individ
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

First two great albums of the year for me. Bjork always gets high rankings from me and this album is a particular return to form. I was skeptical about Misty until I heard it. It's exceptional work, consistent, with enough twists to keep it interesting (True Affection and The Ideal Husband spring to mind).

1. Bjork - Vulnicura
2. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

Three good consistent female-fronted albums. I love Kate Peirson's vocals and while the album doesn't break much ground, it has a similar lightheartedness to the one which made The B52s so great. I'm looking forward to going back and listening to more of Sleater Kinney.

3. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
4. Sleater Kinney - No Cities To Love
5. Kate Peirson - Guitars and Microphones

And last, three okay albums with a few great songs and some filler.

6. Gaz Coombes - Matador
7. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meet The Grim Reaper
8. Mark Ronson - Uptown Special
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Streaming Purity Ring's new album "Another Eternity" at NPR. If you liked Shrines, same thing. If not, it may seem like another eternity.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm liking the new Cannibal Ox album, 'Blade of the Ronin'.

Great album name too.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Rough ranking of the few albums I've heard thus far this year

1. Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
2. Lady Lamb the Beekeeper - After
3. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
4. Belle and Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Just Want to Dance

Of these, the first two are the only ones that have really blown me away.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

acroamor wrote:Rough ranking of the few albums I've heard thus far this year

1. Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
2. Lady Lamb the Beekeeper - After
3. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
4. Belle and Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime Just Want to Dance

Of these, the first two are the only ones that have really blown me away.
That's two out of four and thus 50%. Not bad! I would say.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

A lot of my favorite albums of the year suffer from a debilitating condition known as "the best songs were released the year prior". This condition affects some really good albums, like the new Sleater-Kinney ("Bury Our Friends"), the new Panda Bear ("Mr. Noah" and "Boys Latin"), and the new Father John Misty ("Bored in the USA", and "Chateau Lobby #4"). So despite the fact that these albums are among my favorites of the year thus far, (almost) no songs from them will appear on my preliminary "unordered favorite songs of the year thus far" list...

Kanye West- All Day
Courtney Barnett- Pedestrian at Best
Bjork- Stonemilker
Tobias Jesso Jr.- How Could You Babe
Natalie Prass- My Baby Don't Understand Me
Kendrick Lamar- The Blacker the Berry
Blur- Go Out
Sleater-Kinney- No Cities to Love
St. Vincent- Bad Believer
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

The new Grimes song is gorgeous, beautiful melody and never had Grimes showed a calm and serene control of everything in the song.

The Blacker The Berry, Depreston/Pedestrian at Best, All Day and now that, first tracks of higly anticipated albums did not disappoint so far.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nassim wrote:The new Grimes song is gorgeous, beautiful melody and never had Grimes showed a calm and serene control of everything in the song.
Man, thanks for bringing it to my attention; it's probably my new favourite song of the year so far. To think that it's only a demo and will not be on her next album is baffling.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Two new songs I'll have to add to my favorite songs of 2015- the new Grimes song that Nassim and Pierre have mentioned, "Realiti", and a new song from Tame Impala- "Let it Happen". Both songs are fantastic.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I have been listening to new albums by Will Butler and Courtney Barnett this week.

Both are excellent albums for my ears but I really hope/expect Barnett to blow up (this could possibly be her Strange Mercy and the next album be St. Vincent). If Elevator Operator is not one of the most instantaneously catchy songs of the year I'm not sure what would be. Her lyrics (and vocals) are very Australian throughout which I hope translates overseas. The track listing seems off but when ever songs is as good as it is it doesn't matter as much.

"a possum Jackson Pollock is painted on the tar"

I love Policy by WIll Butler too! An 8 track album that is over before you really get to settle down. It's sad that he has to have the weight of Arcade Fire on his shoulders because it seems everyone is (at least somewhat) comparing it to that almost perfect track record. While Arcade Fire is heavy and overly thematic this album jumps around and is a bit lighter on its feet.

"I will buy you a pony / We could cook it for supper / I know a great recipe for pony macaroni"
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Wow, new albums by Kendrick Lamar, Sufjan, and Godspeed You Black Emperor coming out within the next few weeks (not to mention Courtney Barnett). You could argue there are more high profile releases in the first three months of 2015 than there were in almost all of 2014.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Has anyone heard the new Modest Mouse album? I'm liking it but it sounds completely unlike anything else the band has ever done.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Jirin wrote:Has anyone heard the new Modest Mouse album? I'm liking it but it sounds completely unlike anything else the band has ever done.
Yes I have. Coyotes is one of my favorite songs of the year, so I was anticipating the release of the album. The rest of the album is quite different from Coyotes, and to me, not in a good way.
I don't know Modest Mouse too well, but this album is still a slight disappointment.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Kendrick Lamar-To Pimp A Butterfly (92)
Father John Misty-I Love You, Honeybear (92)
Lupe Fiasco-Tetsuo and Youth (88)
Bjork-Vulnicura (85)
Twin Shadow-Eclipse (83)
Purity Ring-Another Eternity (81)
Panda Bear-Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper (78)
Bob Dylan-Shadows in the Night (78)
Drake-If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (74)
Modest Mouse-Strangers to Ourselves (70)
Belle & Sebastian-Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance (65)
Sleater Kinney-No Cities To Love (65)
Big Sean-Dark Sky Paradise (60)
Natalie Prass-Natalie Prass (55)
Viet Cong-Viet Cong (50)
The Decemberists-What A Beautiful World, What A Terrible World (40)
Fall Out Boy-American Beauty/American Psycho (40)
Will Butler-Policy (30)
Doomtree-All Hands (30)
Tobias Jesso Jr.-Goon (20)
Last edited by notbrianeno on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Courtney Barnett's 'Sometimes I Sit And Think And Sometimes I Just Sit' has been streaming this week on iTunes Radio (http://po.st/UKsometimestream). I've listened to it several times over and it gets better with each listen. Outside of Pedestrian at Best and Depression, I highly recommend the tracks Dead Fox and Small Poppies.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly 9.8
Lanza Manza - Leezus Meezus 9.0
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear 8.6
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love 8.5
Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night 8.3
Big Sean - Dark Sky Paradise 8.1
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late 8.1
Björk - Vulnicura 7.9
Future - Beast Mode (EP) 7.5
I feel like that
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Just picked up Laura Marling's Short Movie. Not as immediately compelling as Once I Was An Eagle. Very much a creature of her two years living in America, this is a fish out of water album, none of the self-assuredness (arrogance?) of her prior album. Streaming at NPR this weekend.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

New Modest Mouse was pretty good, but an exhausting listen, and no one central theme. Plenty of enough good tracks to make for those faults though, I'd put it on the level of We Were Dead...

Eclipse by Twin Shadow is a pure,great pop record. I feel like this album accomplishes what artists like Jessie Ware and The War on Drugs try to with 1980's musical stylings, but ends up being a lot more compelling and interesting listen then those other artists.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Updated scores. "To Pimp a Butterfly" is probably the best album to have come out since "Modern Vampires of the City" and "Random Access Memories" came out in the middle of May 2013. Father John Misty's new album is an ode to commitment and marriage, with some bitter cynical lyrics condemning everything from modern society to himself thrown in the mix. Tobias Jesso Jr.'s "Goon" is a very enjoyable pop album that's strongly reminiscent of 70's singer/songwriters like Harry Nilsson and Randy Newman (standouts include the songs "How Could You Babe" and "Hollywood"). Noel Gallagher's new album is a satisfying improvement over his last. And Modest Mouse's new album is a pretty big disappointment, with "Pistol" being so bad it's actually hilarious. There are some pretty good songs on the album (like "Lampshades on Fire" and "The Ground Walks, With Time in a Box") but for the most part the album feels overly long and low on ideas.

1. Kendrick Lamar- To Pimp a Butterfly- 95/100

2. Father John Misty- I Love You, Honeybear- 85/100

3. Bjork- Vulnicura- 80/100
4. Panda Bear- Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper- 80/100
5. Sleater-Kinney- No Cities to Love- 80/100

6. Tobias Jesso Jr.- Goon- 75/100
7. Viet Cong- Viet Cong- 75/100
8. Natalie Prass- Natalie Prass- 75/100

9. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds- Chasing Yesterday- 65/100
10. Bob Dylan- Shadows in the Night- 65/100

11. Joey Badass- B4.DA.$$- 60/100

12. Modest Mouse- Strangers to Ourselves- 55/100

Here's what I'm looking forward to...

Sufjan Stevens- Carrie & Lowell- March 30th
Godspeed You! Black Emperor- Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress- March 31st
Passion Pit- Kindred- April 21st
Blur- The Magic Whip- April 28th
Sun Kil Moon- Universal Themes- June 2nd

Chromatics- Dear Tommy- TBA
Frank Ocean- TBA- TBA
Grimes- TBA- TBA
James Blake- Radio Silence- TBA
Kanye West- So Help Me God- TBA
The Libertines- TBA- TBA
Radiohead- TBA- TBA
Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels 3- TBA
Spiritualized- TBA- TBA
Tame Impala- TBA- TBA
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

With 3 Modest Mouse albums in my top 100 of all time, I guess you can say I am a big big fan.
Strangers to Ourselves is a small improvement over We Were Dead..., it might have a couple of the worst Modest Mouse songs ever but it has a lot of stand outs too, especially in the 2nd part.

A little disappointed after the first listen of Sometimes I Sit and Think..., doesn't quite got me hooked as much as the first 2 singles, but a few more spins might change that.
I'll also need more time before really evaluating Carrie and Lowell and To Pimp a Butterfly, they deserve more attention than I can give them at work. Carrie and Lowell might be too sparse and stripped down for me, I like Sufjan's voice far too much to be happy with a full album of whispery singing. I'm already hooked by the last 3 songs though so I might end up really loving it. Could make it to #2 of the year so far.
I doubt To Pimp a Butterfly could do the same, I guess like Good kid, m.a.a.d city, it will be an album I am very impressed by and like to go back to once in a while, but not really a huge personal favorite.

1) Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
2) Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass
3) Mourn - Mourn
4) Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
5) Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves
6) Gaz Coombes - Matador
7) The Decemberists - What a Beautiful World, What a Terrible World
8) John Carpenter - Lost Themes
9) Viet Cong - Viet Cong
10) Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit
11) Crapulax - Violence Gratuite et Flûte de Pan
12) The Dodos - Individ
13) Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
14) Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
15) BC Camplight - How To Die In The North
16) Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
17) Bjork - Vulnicura
18) Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep 
19) Panda Bear - Panda Bear meets the Grim Reaper

not ranked yet :
Elliott Smith - Carrie and Lowell
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

Pretty sure there will be a lot of switches between the albums ranked 2 to 10 because I'd say I like them about the same.

Haven't managed to listen to the new Lightning Bolt album in its entirety, the NPR stream always stopped after the first song (or there is a very long silence and I thought it stopped...)
Last edited by Nassim on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”