Poll planner 2015

Which of these polls do you want to participate in during 2015?

Decade poll (1960s) - one year each month (1960, 1961...)
14%
Half decade poll (2010-2014) - albums
13%
Half decade poll (2010-2014) - songs
10%
Top songs of all time
15%
Bracketology 4
8%
Classical poll
6%
Compilations poll
4%
Unacclaimed poll
9%
The best years in music: rank the years
5%
Hall of Acclaim vote 2015
7%
Top albums and songs by artist (artist by artist from AM's top artist list)
9%

Total votes: 231

Henrik
Site Admin

Poll planner 2015

Post by Henrik »

A lot of polls have been suggested for 2015. The idea of this poll of polls is to give a preliminary view of the participation in each poll. So please vote for each poll that you are interested in.

This poll is for music polls only.

If you have a new idea of a poll and you want to see the interest from people, just let me know and I will add it.

- - -

Other polls that will be running (already decided):
Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6
AMF Chart
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Poll planner 2015

Post by Henrik »

I voted for 10 of the 11 polls listed, as they all are a lot of fun. But if they all actually will be run, I will need to skip some of them, as there will otherwise be no time for a site update. :whistle:
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

I'd like a great poll of songs of all time.

But great in the sense of voters, but not endless lists of each person

For example: 100 voters; 100 songs. The survey would be closed at the time of receiving the voter number 100.

Do you think it would be possible to involve 100 people?

This is the challenge.

And this would be the name: 100x100 songs of all time
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Great idea, Otisredding.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Well that would be a real challenge cos 100 people is a huge number for a forum like this, and after we get 100, other people would be excluded, which I wouldn't like.

I voted for decade poll, half-decade poll albums and songs, top songs of all time, hall of acclaim. Of course I have nothing against other polls being run too.
I feel like that
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

PlasticRam wrote:Well that would be a real challenge cos 100 people is a huge number for a forum like this
Possibly it is an impossible challenge. Perhaps it would be more realistic 50X50
PlasticRam wrote:Well that would be a real challenge cos 100 people is a huge number for a forum like this, and after we get 100, other people would be excluded, which I wouldn't like.
I do not think we can say that people will be excluded.

All polls have rules, have an end. Normally poll closes one day at a specific time. In the 100x100 is closed at the time of receiving the survey number 100 (or 50).
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

All suggested polls sound great to me and deserve to take place in 2015.

However, due to the limited free time I have, I can only guarantee participation to a subset.
Looking back to 2014, I participated heavily in the AMF chart, really enjoyed the Unacclaimed poll and managed to deliver 4 out of the 10 years in the 70s poll. So, I voted for both Unacclaimed and 60s poll.

I like Otisredding's suggestion a lot and would support him to get to the 100 voters. Some years ago, I started with my favorite songs list, it's about half finished now, and it seems like a never ending story. For 2015 this should have an end and it should be possible to get to the ultimate 100. So I voted to participate in the top songs of all time poll as well.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

I just added a vote for the artists poll as well. Since albums and songs of the more acclaimed artists are quite well-known, this should be less time-consuming.

It would be great to have the classical and compilation polls as well. Not to participate in myself, but to see all of your votes and recommendations. My knowledge of classical music is quite limited and I don't have so many compilations to choose from / vote for.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Yeah I mean definitely a good idea by OtisRedding. Or then we could do 50x100. It would be nice if they were the same number, but I think that sounds pretty cool too.

What I specifically like about only doing 100 songs, or perhaps even just 50 songs is that a lot of the classics would place around 51 to 100 or 101 to 200 at least on my list, so there could be some surprises in the final list.
I feel like that
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

PlasticRam wrote:What I specifically like about only doing 100 songs, or perhaps even just 50 songs is that a lot of the classics would place around 51 to 100 or 101 to 200 at least on my list, so there could be some surprises in the final list.
I agree with this. It will both make the job easier for the poll host and make the results more surprising/interesting. But long individual lists should always be encouraged.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

A classical poll would have my interest. I wonder how you would do it. It''s hard to compare a two minute piano piece to a symphony of an hour, so maybe it would be best to do it by genre.

Another possibility would be a poll of jazz albums.
Last edited by bonnielaurel on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I feel there are too many great songs to limit it to just 50 or 100. Maybe make a steeper formula, but don't cut the max number that much. Especially if it's to help out the poll host, since my offer to run it still stands.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, when should the half-decade album and songs poll begin? I know we planned to wait a few months for the film equivalent, but music is generally easier to find than new film. Especially since we're a music-focused website, I'd think we could start it sooner. Any ideas?
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

I will participate in any game with international coverage. I mean, any game that does not have any tendency towards music in English. :) Yeah :D
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I would participate in the half decade polls if I heard more music from this decade...
Also, what would Bracketology 4 consist of?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Otisredding wrote:I'd like a great poll of songs of all time.

But great in the sense of voters, but not endless lists of each person

For example: 100 voters; 100 songs. The survey would be closed at the time of receiving the voter number 100.

Do you think it would be possible to involve 100 people?

This is the challenge.

And this would be the name: 100x100 songs of all time
When we get to 100 people with more than 100 posts (currently about 70 people), perhaps we could celebrate this with a poll, and send a pm invite to all these 100 forumers (and everyone else could vote too of course)!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

It's a nice idea, but I don't think we should focus too much on reaching 100 participants. I prefer involved list makers who are really enthusiastic about their lists over actively approached participants who reluctantly send in a list at the last moment.

Also I'm not sure if less long lists make for a more suprising outcome. This could be the case, but it could also be more conservative, because people want to send in songs of which they know other will people will vote for as well. I think with longer lists people aren't very much concerned about that. But I'm not sure, it could work, possibly.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Gillingham wrote:It's a nice idea, but I don't think we should focus too much on reaching 100 participants. I prefer involved list makers who are really enthusiastic about their lists over actively approached participants who reluctantly send in a list at the last moment.

Also I'm not sure if less long lists make for a more suprising outcome. This could be the case, but it could also be more conservative, because people want to send in songs of which they know other will people will vote for as well. I think with longer lists people aren't very much concerned about that. But I'm not sure, it could work, possibly.
I think many people may have a list of 100 songs or 50, etc.

But when we propose a poll of 500, 1000, 3000 songs, many people must think "I do not participate, my favorite songs are only 100".

On the other hand, I do not think it's very interesting place 859 in the list of Mr. X. However, it would be very rewarding if we get more participants.

Well, it's my opinion, but I don't want to be repetitive
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

For the songs list, I was preferring to accept at most a 500 song ballot, just like back in 2012 when sonofsamiam did this. I fully agree with BleuPanda and Gillingham, I definitely prefer to have larger lists than just 100, makes it much more varied than tiny lists. For albums I could see that, but songs are always shorter and more compact, so shoot for larger lists I say, so we can really unveil a solid Top 1000. I do also agree with Bleu, however, that the formula should probably be steeper than last time, in order to get a more solid consensus.

I would personally love for a great voter turnout for the songs poll this year. 100 is definitely stretching it, but I think we can make it to 50 at least. As I said, I will probably be leaving the poll open for a solid 4 months, so that should give people plenty of time and notice. I want to get as much numbers as possible behind this ultimate playlist.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Yeah after thinking about it again, I agree that maybe people could post longer lists too. I would just like the final list to not be the exact copy of AM list.
I feel like that
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Here is the formula that sonofsamiam used (I believe) in the 2012 poll, after checking that thread:

Copied straight from the thread:

"The new calculation I'll use is 500*(1+75)/([placement]+75)

That will allot points as shown:

1: 500.0
2: 493.5
3: 487.2
4: 481.0
5: 475.0
10: 447.1
50: 304.0
100: 217.1
200: 138.2
300: 101.3
400: 80.0
500: 66.1"

So, I would like to hear everyone's feedback as to how the formula should (or shouldn't) be changed. Definitely hope sonofsamiam sees this, specifically, to hear his own thoughts.

Also, just saw Otisredding's latest post. Sonofsamiam made the song list requirement at least 100, but, to get a better turn out, I think I will drop that down to just 50. There are some people who are more album people than song people, but that doesn't mean that they should be excluded from the songs poll if there are songs they are passionate about. Of course, I would accept a list as large as 500 and factor it in as well. But no more than that.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

BTW, everybody, I have also created a thread in General Discussions, where you can vote and discuss non-music or film related polls. I am taking a poll survey about the popularity of any of these poll ideas:

Greatest Video Games
Greatest TV Shows
Greatest Fiction

Link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2545
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

I really like the idea that Otisredding and Henrik have cooked up - It is simple and elegant, and it would make for a fantastic way to celebrate an impressive forum milestone like the one Henrik suggested. Of course, there are some kinks (I'm not sure how many people are willing to give he-who-should-not-be-named 2 ballots, regardless of how much influence he has had around here), but we've got probably a year or so to work those out.

However, I do agree with JimmyJazz, BleuPanda and PlasticRam's points (sorry if I missed anyone), it doesn't seem quite fair to limit those with decades worth of beloved music from honoring their faves... So maybe make them two separate polls, a normal all-time songs poll and an AM Anniversary 100x100 song poll?

Just my thoughts on the matter :greetings-waveyellow:
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Luke JR68 wrote:I really like the idea that Otisredding and Henrik have cooked up - It is simple and elegant, and it would make for a fantastic way to celebrate an impressive forum milestone like the one Henrik suggested. Of course, there are some kinks (I'm not sure how many people are willing to give he-who-should-not-be-named 2 ballots, regardless of how much influence he has had around here), but we've got probably a year or so to work those out.

However, I do agree with JimmyJazz, BleuPanda and PlasticRam's points (sorry if I missed anyone), it doesn't seem quite fair to limit those with decades worth of beloved music from honoring their faves... So maybe make them two separate polls, a normal all-time songs poll and an AM Anniversary 100x100 song poll?

Just my thoughts on the matter :greetings-waveyellow:
Most appropriate idea, to me, at least. Best possible compromise.

So, I will probably run the Hall of Acclaim vote for 2015 over the course of February. Is everybody fine if I open up the regular all-time songs poll at the beginning of March, and close it at the end of June? That gives everybody four months to submit a ballot, as well as revise them. I will be bucking for at least 50 voters for that poll, at the very least. Then, I will unveil it over the course of July. This works, as I am going to be super busy with school until May.

Who wants to run the other polls, and when do you think we should start them?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Also, Henrik, regarding the artist specific polls, should we make a quota for each act? Like, Elvis gets a songs poll, but not, for obvious reasons, an albums poll? Vice versa for, say, Miles Davis? Like, if an act doesn't really have much in the way of a presence as an albums or songs act, then we should only give them one or the other?

Also, should this vote be weekly, or monthly? I honestly would prefer weekly so that we can get through the different artists fast.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Listyguy wrote:I would participate in the half decade polls if I heard more music from this decade...
If Bracketology 4 were to occur this year, then I think a 64-song bracket of the top songs of 2014 (when the update happens) could be fun, even if it only lasts 6 weeks.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Top 500 songs of all time would be great.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Listyguy wrote:I would participate in the half decade polls if I heard more music from this decade...
If Bracketology 4 were to occur this year, then I think a 64-song bracket of the top songs of 2014 (when the update happens) could be fun, even if it only lasts 6 weeks.
Just 2014 songs? That seems a bit excessive and a waste of a bracketology to me. Of course if it was done I'd participate (I'm a sucker for brackets), but I think we should wait a year or two and do another Bracketology of the best songs not in the second or third one.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Listyguy wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Just 2014 songs? That seems a bit excessive and a waste of a bracketology to me. Of course if it was done I'd participate (I'm a sucker for brackets), but I think we should wait a year or two and do another Bracketology of the best songs not in the second or third one.
I also think waiting a few years would be the preferred option, but the poll was implying that it could happen this year.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

^^Agreed. Bracketology two and three were within FOUR years.

I'd be partial to basically all of these. I will run classical and the next unacclaimed.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

So we have:

Myself:
Hall of Acclaim 2015
Greatest Songs of All Time

whuntva:
Classical
Unacclaimed

Out of curiosity, when do you want to run the classical poll? Also, what format for it? Like symphony poll, concerto poll, solo poll...? Then combine the individual results into a all-time list that we proceed to rank from there?
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I'll be starting the 60's poll (with 1960) in a few days time.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

JimmyJazz wrote:So we have:

Myself:
Hall of Acclaim 2015
Greatest Songs of All Time

whuntva:
Classical
Unacclaimed

Out of curiosity, when do you want to run the classical poll? Also, what format for it? Like symphony poll, concerto poll, solo poll...? Then combine the individual results into a all-time list that we proceed to rank from there?
I was thinking periods poll as was proposed in the topic. We take a piece from the Baroque, Romantic, Modern, etc. and then a cross-period final round.

And I was thinking of beginning it when the rollout for the 2014 list ended.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

A classical poll would be cool but I don't know how it'd be practical. The greatest classical music isn't on albums, at best they're spread across multiple albums by lots of different performers. It's hard to track in a poll. A jazz poll would be easier. With jazz you still have the union between artist and performer.

I'm in favor of having shorter lists for the songs poll but not for a votes quota.

@JimmyJazz

Greatest video games poll would be AWESOME, though I'd split it by era. :) The same people who can vote objectively for NES games aren't the same as the people who can vote for PS3 games.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

JimmyJazz wrote:Here is the formula that sonofsamiam used (I believe) in the 2012 poll, after checking that thread:

Copied straight from the thread:

"The new calculation I'll use is 500*(1+75)/([placement]+75)

That will allot points as shown:

1: 500.0
2: 493.5
3: 487.2
4: 481.0
5: 475.0
10: 447.1
50: 304.0
100: 217.1
200: 138.2
300: 101.3
400: 80.0
500: 66.1"

So, I would like to hear everyone's feedback as to how the formula should (or shouldn't) be changed. Definitely hope sonofsamiam sees this, specifically, to hear his own thoughts.

Also, just saw Otisredding's latest post. Sonofsamiam made the song list requirement at least 100, but, to get a better turn out, I think I will drop that down to just 50. There are some people who are more album people than song people, but that doesn't mean that they should be excluded from the songs poll if there are songs they are passionate about. Of course, I would accept a list as large as 500 and factor it in as well. But no more than that.
Well, since you asked...I had a couple reasons then to weigh it like I did. One is that making it too steep a scale meant that a single #1 could feasibly make our Top 500, which did not seem right to me. Another is I personally have a tough time thinking I like my #1 more than twice as much as my #100, and nearly 10 times as much as my #500.

But then again...I ran the numbers on the 2012 poll data, one for Top 100s only and another for Top 50s.

Here were the calcs (simple I know):

100*(1+15)/([place]+15)
50*(1+15)/([place]+15)

Then I looked at the Top 100s from the original list and these other two. Here are all the songs that made any of these 3 lists:

Artist | Song Title *** Original List *** 100s only *** 50s only
Al Green | Let's Stay Together *** 58 *** 79 *** 145
Animals | House of The Rising Sun *** 61 *** 97 *** 153
Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies) *** 95 *** 297 *** N/A (no top 50s)
Arcade Fire | Wake Up *** 129 *** 91 *** 63
Aretha Franklin | Respect *** 75 *** 78 *** 68
Art Ensemble of Chicago | Theme de Yoyo *** 240 *** 120 *** 85
Beach Boys | God Only Knows *** 15 *** 19 *** 23
Beach Boys | Good Vibrations *** 6 *** 4 *** 4
Beach Boys | Surf's Up *** 263 *** 109 *** 80
Beatles | A Day In The Life *** 3 *** 3 *** 1
Beatles | Come Together *** 144 *** 107 *** 78
Beatles | Eleanor Rigby *** 93 *** 147 *** 308
Beatles | Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End *** 245 *** 93 *** 65
Beatles | Hey Jude *** 57 *** 25 *** 20
Beatles | I Am The Walrus *** 55 *** 63 *** 92
Beatles | In My Life *** 97 *** 115 *** 106
Beatles | Let It Be *** 116 *** 61 *** 52
Beatles | Strawberry Fields Forever *** 35 *** 21 *** 21
Beatles | Tomorrow Never Knows *** 31 *** 92 *** 120
Beatles | Yesterday *** 120 *** 81 *** 87
Beck | Loser *** 71 *** 86 *** 124
Bee Gees | Stayin' Alive *** 74 *** 105 *** 110
Beta Band | Dry The Rain *** 218 *** 116 *** 82
Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit *** 22 *** 10 *** 9
Blur | Song 2 *** 78 *** 75 *** 97
Bob Dylan | Desolation Row *** 99 *** 67 *** 57
Bob Dylan | Like a Rolling Stone *** 2 *** 1 *** 3
Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues *** 66 *** 41 *** 34
Bob Dylan | Tangled Up In Blue *** 43 *** 39 *** 38
Bob Marley and The Wailers | No Woman, No Cry *** 70 *** 118 *** 149
Breeders | Cannonball *** 222 *** 124 *** 93
Bruce Springsteen | Born To Run *** 16 *** 11 *** 12
Bruce Springsteen | Thunder Road *** 73 *** 66 *** 47
Charles Mingus | Modes D, E, F: Trio and Group Dancers, Single Solos and Group Dance, Group and Solo Dance *** 200 *** 65 *** 58
Chuck Berry | Johnny B. Goode *** 25 *** 36 *** 54
Clash | London Calling *** 9 *** 16 *** 15
David Bowie | "Heroes" *** 4 *** 13 *** 14
David Bowie | Life on Mars? *** 27 *** 43 *** 40
David Bowie | Space Oddity *** 39 *** 59 *** 67
Derek and The Dominoes | Layla *** 48 *** 50 *** 48
Doors | Light My Fire *** 60 *** 60 *** 136
Eagles | Hotel California *** 69 *** 70 *** 71
Elvis Presley | Suspicious Minds *** 76 *** 125 *** 196
Eminem feat. Dido | Stan *** 100 *** 151 *** 192
Eurythmics | Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) *** 90 *** 111 *** 146
Fela Kuti | Zombie *** 165 *** 106 *** 77
Four Tops | Reach Out I'll Be There *** 68 *** 99 *** 98
Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out *** 94 *** 284 *** 227
Gnarls Barkley | Crazy *** 46 *** 82 *** 287
Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five | The Message *** 49 *** 74 *** 95
Guns N' Roses | Sweet Child O' Mine *** 59 *** 35 *** 29
Iggy and The Stooges | Search and Destroy *** 115 *** 94 *** 84
Jackson 5 | I Want You Back *** 92 *** 77 *** 62
Jacques Brel | Amsterdam *** 122 *** 53 *** 55
Jefferson Airplane | White Rabbit *** 198 *** 126 *** 96
Jimi Hendrix Experience | All Along The Watchtower *** 8 *** 6 *** 8
John Coltrane | Acknowledgement *** 204 *** 104 *** 86
John Lennon | Imagine *** 62 *** 56 *** 56
Johnny Cash | Hurt *** 79 *** 157 *** 142
Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart *** 23 *** 20 *** 28
Kinks | Waterloo Sunset *** 19 *** 15 *** 16
Kinks | You Really Got Me *** 65 *** 90 *** 289
Knife | Heartbeats *** 86 *** 135 *** 164
LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends *** 44 *** 23 *** 24
Led Zeppelin | Stairway to Heaven *** 5 *** 2 *** 2
Lou Reed | Walk on The Wild Side *** 36 *** 44 *** 99
M.I.A. | Paper Planes *** 81 *** 100 *** 89
Mamas and The Papas | California Dreamin' *** 38 *** 51 *** 74
Marvin Gaye | I Heard It Through The Grapevine *** 21 *** 32 *** 37
Marvin Gaye | What's Going On *** 37 *** 42 *** 50
Michael Jackson | Billie Jean *** 14 *** 7 *** 5
Moody Blues | Nights in White Satin *** 260 *** 85 *** 60
New Order | Blue Monday *** 67 *** 73 *** 72
Nina Simone | Sinnerman *** 155 *** 87 *** 81
Nirvana | All Apologies *** 111 *** 96 *** 123
Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit *** 20 *** 28 *** 32
Oasis | Wonderwall *** 64 *** 69 *** 112
Otis Redding | (Sittin' on) The Dock of The Bay *** 7 *** 8 *** 11
OutKast | B.O.B. *** 17 *** 17 *** 17
OutKast | Hey Ya! *** 26 *** 34 *** 27
Patti Smith | Gloria *** 72 *** 45 *** 42
Pharoah Sanders | The Creator Has a Master Plan *** 183 *** 57 *** 49
Pink Floyd | Wish You Were Here *** 41 *** 49 *** 44
Pixies | Debaser *** 52 *** 64 *** 79
Prince | Purple Rain *** 117 *** 101 *** 83
Prince | When Doves Cry *** 13 *** 18 *** 18
Public Enemy | Fight The Power *** 84 *** 114 *** 100
Pulp | Common People *** 29 *** 24 *** 35
Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody *** 33 *** 33 *** 26
R.E.M. | Losing My Religion *** 32 *** 30 *** 33
Radiohead | Creep *** 102 *** 95 *** 88
Radiohead | Karma Police *** 88 *** 89 *** 130
Radiohead | Paranoid Android *** 12 *** 27 *** 30
Ray Charles | What'd I Say *** 98 *** 84 *** 75
Red Hot Chili Peppers | Under The Bridge *** 87 *** 71 *** 69
Robert Wyatt | Sea Song *** 135 *** 40 *** 31
Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction *** 18 *** 12 *** 10
Rolling Stones | Gimme Shelter *** 1 *** 5 *** 6
Rolling Stones | Paint It, Black *** 34 *** 58 *** 66
Rolling Stones | Sympathy for The Devil *** 11 *** 9 *** 7
Ronettes | Be My Baby *** 24 *** 38 *** 43
Roy Orbison | In Dreams *** 139 *** 46 *** 36
Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come *** 40 *** 48 *** 45
Simon and Garfunkel | Bridge Over Troubled Water *** 77 *** 98 *** 172
Slint | Good Morning, Captain *** 325 *** 102 *** 94
Smiths | How Soon Is Now? *** 85 *** 180 *** 269
Smiths | There Is a Light That Never Goes Out *** 56 *** 62 *** 61
Smiths | This Charming Man *** 149 *** 83 *** 70
Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot *** 91 *** 137 *** 328
Stevie Wonder | Living for The City *** 89 *** 161 *** 122
Stevie Wonder | Superstition *** 10 *** 14 *** 13
Stooges | I Wanna Be Your Dog *** 80 *** 88 *** 90
Sufjan Stevens | John Wayne Gacy, Jr. *** 82 *** 47 *** 51
Talking Heads | Once In a Lifetime *** 30 *** 31 *** 39
Television | Marquee Moon *** 63 *** 37 *** 41
U2 | One *** 28 *** 26 *** 25
U2 | Sunday Bloody Sunday *** 53 *** 52 *** 59
U2 | With or Without You *** 50 *** 76 *** 91
Velvet Underground | Heroin *** 47 *** 29 *** 22
Velvet Underground | Sunday Morning *** 113 *** 80 *** 64
Velvet Underground | Venus In Furs *** 96 *** 202 *** 583
Verve | Bitter Sweet Symphony *** 45 *** 22 *** 19
White Stripes | Seven Nation Army *** 42 *** 54 *** 76
Who | Baba O'Riley *** 54 *** 55 *** 46
Who | My Generation *** 83 *** 72 *** 53
Who | Won't Get Fooled Again *** 51 *** 68 *** 73

Pretty interesting, and quite honestly I think I like the Top 50s list the best due to some of the surprises (much more jazz, "Strange Fruit" top 10), though there are some classic rockers near the top that I could do without.

However, note that the best surprise of that poll, "Gimme Shelter" at #1 would not have come true through either other method. We would have gotten a more predictable result in either "Like a Rolling Stone" or "A Day in the Life".

Anyway, just food for thought, as we actually have something empirical to argue with. Of course bear in mind that people's voting patterns could be influenced by the poll criteria, rather than the 100 min/500 max I had in '12.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Jirin wrote:
@JimmyJazz

Greatest video games poll would be AWESOME, though I'd split it by era. :) The same people who can vote objectively for NES games aren't the same as the people who can vote for PS3 games.
Maybe voting in decade blocks would be best? Doom 64 might possibly be my favorite game, but I played virtually no other N64 games.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

First off, this is awesome. Thanks for sharing SonofSam. A couple of interesting things I took from it were that all three lists had a different number one, and that not one person had "Rebellion" in their top 50. That just shocks me.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Thanks for all of that info sonofsamiam! Very interesting results...

I think the best method is to have a Top 50 be a minimum, and a 500 maximum this time. Of course, any objections are entirely welcome. Doing it that way might present some very interesting results, though I found the overall Top 1000 in the last poll to be quite nice as well. So, I might still use a version of the 2012 poll formula, but with maybe a steeper formula?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

JimmyJazz wrote:Also, Henrik, regarding the artist specific polls, should we make a quota for each act? Like, Elvis gets a songs poll, but not, for obvious reasons, an albums poll? Vice versa for, say, Miles Davis? Like, if an act doesn't really have much in the way of a presence as an albums or songs act, then we should only give them one or the other?

Also, should this vote be weekly, or monthly? I honestly would prefer weekly so that we can get through the different artists fast.
I was thinking the opposite, actually. That we would get enough time to dive deep into each artist's catalogue. And as Miles Davis has a lot of acclaimed albums, he obviously has a lot of great songs as well, so that would be one of the most interesting polls IMO.

However, with all other polls going on, people will probably just make lists of what they have already heard. Therefore I think a bracketology kind of poll would be more suitable. Perhaps with AM albums/songs plus nominations from voters.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Personally, I prefer a non-bracket kind of poll with the artists, as it gives more freedom and I also like to see other people's lists. Those lists are possibly more interesting than the results anyway.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jirin wrote:A classical poll would be cool but I don't know how it'd be practical. The greatest classical music isn't on albums, at best they're spread across multiple albums by lots of different performers. It's hard to track in a poll. A jazz poll would be easier. With jazz you still have the union between artist and performer.

I'm in favor of having shorter lists for the songs poll but not for a votes quota.

@JimmyJazz

Regarding the Classical Poll:
I was thinking we list our favorite compositions, which let's be honest are relatively unchanged in most performances (there are many exceptions to this, I am aware), then put out a mention for our favorite version of said composition. Classical music love has two dimensions after all: appreciation of the composition of the work by the great composer, then the appreciation of the best performances of said composition. So that would be my suggestion to this idea, personally.

A jazz poll sounds awesome too. In that poll, could we make an exception to comps, though? One of my favorite jazz albums is Louis Armstrong's The Complete Hot Fives and Sevens, which is the most essential collection of Satchmo's work. Lots of great jazz performers would be missing in that poll by extension, being that so much of them missed the album era.

Regarding Video Games:
Over in General Discussions, I have proposed a solution to this issue actually, inspired by LiveinPhoenix's comments, but with a slight modification.

I suggest we do a generation by generation poll, so we can make a set of 5 Top 20s, then proceed to rank them from there, and create a perfectly balanced Top 100 of multiple periods and consoles.

By Generation I'm thinking:
1970s and 1980s, going to the NES era (first, second, and third Gens)
SNES, Genesis, 1990-1995 PC games (fourth Gen)
N64, PS1, Saturn, 1996-2000 PC games (fifth Gen)
PS2, GameCube, XBOX, Dreamcast, 2001-2005 PC games (sixth Gen)
PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U, PS4, ONE, 2006-onwards PC games (seventh and current, eighth Gens)

That way, people with different specialties and focuses, and even age, can vote in certain polls, but not others, yet we can still have an all-time ranking as well.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Actually, Henrik, forget what I said, it sounds really neat the idea you have proposed!

It would be cool to get forumers to explore the "deep cuts" of certain artists, and maybe even change some of our viewpoints by putting in the time and effort to search.

Doing it on a month basis, I am looking at it, presuming we are starting it in February, and ignoring the inevitable changes to the artist list following the udpate...

February: The Beatles
March: Bob Dylan
April: The Rolling Stones
May: David Bowie
June: Bruce Springsteen
July: Radiohead
August: Elvis Presley
September: Neil Young
October: Prince
November: REM
December: The Beach Boys
Amoux
Are You Experienced?

Post by Amoux »

I voted for four.

I would definitely be up for the 1960's poll, and Half-Decade Poll (2010-2014). The compilation poll might be a great chance to discover new music, particularly that its not represented much here. The last vote goes to the top albums and songs by artist.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

JimmyJazz wrote:
PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U, PS4, ONE, 2006-onwards PC games (seventh and current, eighth Gens)
I would definitely separate the first and second gens from the third. There's a huge difference between games in the arcade era and games in the home console era.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Jirin wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:
I would definitely separate the first and second gens from the third. There's a huge difference between games in the arcade era and games in the home console era.
I guess it depends on if it's important to stop at 100 games. If so, then some Gen is going to have to get the short end of the stick. Someone could try if they dare to lump 2001-present all together, but I was okay with lumping 1978 or so through 1989 together. I've made a preliminary top 20 of this period, and a half-dozen are from the early '80s or older (computer games, Atari, the oldest Arcade games), and that's probably as high as I want to go.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
Jirin wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:
I guess it depends on if it's important to stop at 100 games. If so, then some Gen is going to have to get the short end of the stick. Someone could try if they dare to lump 2001-present all together, but I was okay with lumping 1978 or so through 1989 together. I've made a preliminary top 20 of this period, and a half-dozen are from the early '80s or older (computer games, Atari, the oldest Arcade games), and that's probably as high as I want to go.
That era's when I started playing games though. My first game system was an NES which I got in 1988 when I was five. NES games are 'The games I played when I was a kid' and older arcade games are 'Games I discovered at retro arcades later on'. And they have a totally different feel. Console games are designed to be won, arcade games are designed to be frequently lost. You can't really compare Pac Man to Castlevania III.

I wouldn't worry about having a big round base ten number. To me, you can't compare NES era games to older arcade games.

I would sooner merge the third and fourth gen, or the fifth and sixth gen, than the third with the second.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Hmm that sounds like a good distinction, the era during & the era after games that you CANNOT beat (with the first Super Mario Bros. setting a tone that NES games are beatable). I'm a bit inclined to lump the fifth & sixth gen together.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

JimmyJazz wrote:
I'm assuming we haven't forgotten about handheld gaming in all this hustle and bustle :whistle: ?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Lumping the 5th and 6th gens together sounds like the worst possible combination. While each era is different, the gaming industry reached a pop culture high point throughout those two generations. The transition into 3D was one of the biggest steps forward in gaming and both eras represented a critical peak in the industry. When I think of the so-called best games ever, probably 80+% come from gen 5 and 6. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime, and that's just the top of the top. The only games outside that era I ever see mentioned on the same level are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, and Bioshock, with the Portal games every now and then, all of which are from the surrounding two generations. The early 90s through the mid-2000s were easily the high point for the medium, after technology evolved enough to allow serious variety but before production costs became so monstrous studios had to rely on the same formula to keep profitable.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

I have a bad feeling that even if 20 games from 1984 & back were allowed, a number of them would instantly hit the bottom of the finals list.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”