AMF Chart Week 45 2014

Vote for up to 5 of your favorite songs!

Poll ended at Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:04 pm

alt-J - "Left Hand Free"
8%
Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me"
9%
Beyoncé feat. Nicki Minaj - "Flawless (Remix)"
1%
Damien Rice - "It Takes a Lot to Know a Man"
6%
Death Grips - "Inanimate Sensation"
1%
Haim feat. A$AP Ferg - "My Song 5 (Remix)"
5%
Hozier - "Take Me to Church"
8%
I LOVE MAKONNEN - "Tuesday"
3%
Kristin Diable - "I'll Make Time for You"
4%
Lana Del Rey - "Florida Kilos"
5%
Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars - "Uptown Funk"
6%
Nicki Minaj feat. Beyoncé - "Feelin' Myself"
3%
QT - "Hey QT"
No votes
Run the Jewels - "Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)"
8%
SBTRKT feat. Ezra Koenig - "NEW DORP. NEW YORK"
3%
Sharon Van Etten - "Every Time the Sun Comes Up"
8%
Sharon Van Etten - "Your Love Is Killing Me"
10%
Swans - "Screen Shot"
5%
Tanya Tagaq - "Caribou"
3%
TV on the Radio - "Careful You"
8%

Total votes: 80

Setherex
Movin' On Up

AMF Chart Week 45 2014

Post by Setherex »

Welcome to Week 45 of the AMF Chart! The chart where the EOY chart has left devastation in its wake. Only the strongest survive...

Here are your rankings for Week 44 (number of weeks on the chart so far in parentheses):
1. alt-J - "Left Hand Free" (4)
2. TV on the Radio - "Careful You" (2)
3. Sharon Van Etten - "Every Time the Sun Comes Up" (4)
4. Hozier - "Take Me to Church" (1)
4. Run the Jewels - "Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)" (1)
6. Lana Del Rey - "Florida Kilos" (8)
7. Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me" (1)
7. SBTRKT feat. Ezra Koenig - "NEW DORP. NEW YORK" (1)
9. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars - "Uptown Funk" (2)
10. Damien Rice - "It Takes a Lot to Know a Man" (4)
11. Cold War Kids - "All This Could Be Yours" (9)
12. Taylor Swift - "Shake It Off" (1)
13. Steve Gunn - "Tommy's Congo" (6)
14. Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne - "Rather Be" (1)
14. Taylor Swift - "Blank Space" (1)
16. Azealia Banks - "Chasing Time" (3)
17. Cold War Kids - "Go Quietly" (1)
17. Dan Mangan + Blacksmith - "Vessel" (1)
19. Sinoia Caves - "Forever Dilating Eye" (3)
20. Sleater-Kinney - "Surface Envy" (1)
Total Votes: 89

The top 10 songs from last week's chart went on to this week's. Four veteran songs being eliminated at once isn't a new precedence (I think), but taking out two very strong competitors past their fifth week might be. The EOY chart takes no prisoners, it seems.

2014 Chart-Toppers by Week (by vote count, not chart position; total weeks atop chart in parentheses):
1. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - "Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal)"
2. Damien Jurado - "Silver Timothy" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die"
3. Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (2)
4. Damien Jurado - "Silver Timothy" (2)
5. Young Fathers - "Get Up"
6. St. Vincent - "Digital Witness" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (3)
7. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (4)
8. The War on Drugs - "Red Eyes" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (5)
9. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (2)
10. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (3)
11. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary"
12. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (4) / Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (2)
13. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (5)
14. tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain"
15. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (3)
16. The Black Keys - "Weight of Love"
17. The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure"
18. The Black Keys - "Weight of Love" (2) / Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" / tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain" (2) / The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure" (2)
19. The Black Keys - "Weight of Love" (3)
20. Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" (2)
21. First Aid Kit - "My Silver Lining"
22. Spoon - "Do You"
23. Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" (3)
24. Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" (4)
25. First Aid Kit - "My Silver Lining" (2) / Owen Pallett - "The Riverbed"
26. Jon Allen - "Night and Day"
27. Spoon - "Do You" (2)
28. First Aid Kit - "My Silver Lining" (3) / Interpol - "All the Rage Back Home" / Sun Kil Moon - "Micheline"
29. Spoon - "Do You" (3)
30. alt-J - "Every Other Freckle" / Interpol - "All the Rage Back Home" (2)
31. Spoon - "Do You" (4)
32. alt-J - "Every Other Freckle" (2) / Interpol - "All the Rage Back Home" (3) / Leonard Cohen - "Almost Like the Blues"
33. Leonard Cohen - "Almost Like the Blues" (2)
34. Interpol - "All the Rage Back Home" (4) / Röyksopp & Robyn - "Every Little Thing"
35. Leonard Cohen - "Almost Like the Blues" (3) / Marianne Faithfull - "Late Victorian Holocaust" / Röyksopp & Robyn - "Every Little Thing" (2) / Spoon - "Outlier"
36. Sharon Van Etten - "Our Love"
37. Sharon Van Etten - "Our Love" (2)
38. Leonard Cohen - "Almost Like the Blues" (4) / Sharon Van Etten - "Our Love" (3) / Spoon - "Outlier" (2)
39. Sharon Van Etten - "Our Love" (4)
40. Sharon Van Etten - "Our Love" (5)
41. Cold War Kids - "All This Could Be Yours" / Spoon - "Outlier" (3)
42. Cold War Kids - "All This Could Be Yours" (2)
43. Sharon Van Etten - "Every Time the Sun Comes Up"
44. alt-J - "Left Hand Free"

2014 Hall of Fame (10 weeks of advancing votes; automatically retired from chart):
St. Vincent - "Digital Witness" (Week 1-14)
Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (Week 1-11)
Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (Week 2-14)
tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain" (Week 9-18)
Future Islands - "Seasons (Waiting on You)" (Week 10-19)
The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure" (Week 10-19)
Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" (Week 15-24)
The Black Keys - "Weight of Love" (Week 16-25)
Owen Pallett - "The Riverbed" (Week 17-26)
Jon Allen - "Night and Day" (Week 18-27)
First Aid Kit - "My Silver Lining" (Week 19-28)
Spoon - "Do You" (Week 22-31)
Interpol - "All the Rage Back Home" (Week 25-34)
Röyksopp & Robyn - "Every Little Thing" (Week 27-36)
Sun Kil Moon - "Micheline" (Week 28-37)
Leonard Cohen - "Almost Like the Blues" (Week 31-40)
Sharon Van Etten - "Our Love" (Week 31-40)
Spoon - "Outlier" (33-42)

Here is this week's 15-song Spotify chart (with 4 songs included below via YouTube link and 1 via external link):

Kristin Diable - "I'll Make Time for You"
Here is your 2014 AMF Chart playlist of all songs on the chart so far:

Thank you all for voting and nominating continuously every week! Please don't be afraid to supply us with nominations - all songs six months old and younger (or who have received promotion via album/video/single in the last six months) are accepted! And seconding nominations by others' gives those songs a better chance at making the next poll!

As per usual, the next poll will be created as close to Sunday at 19:00 GMT as I can make it. Best of voting! :D
Last edited by Setherex on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Re: AMF Chart Week 45 2014

Post by Setherex »

Please note that while the EOY song spreadsheet is being updated, the rules for nominations have changed to the following:

1. Songs from new albums on the Megacritic chart
2. Nominations, one per voter
3. The highest placed songs in the current eoy spreadsheet (skipping the 6 months rule)

Please also feel free to suggest changes and discuss the new rules. They were suggested by Henrik, however we are very open to feedback! We are still in an experimental run of the AMF Chart, after all.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Hey Guys, great job on this web-site! It's apparent that a lot of passionate work and energy goes into it. Please never stop... :D

I particularly like this forum. I find it fascinating on so many levels. Here are a couple of my thoughts and suggestions for the new rule changes:

1. I like the idea of extending the eligibility window from 6 months to one year. As Henrik has suggested it is pretty apparent that we are all discovering some cool 'new-to-our-ears' music on the numerous end of year charts. This would also allow for deeper cuts from albums that in many cases are stronger than their singles releases (check out our very own Hall-Of-Famer 'Outlier' by Spoon).

2. Should we extend that eligibility window, (and also now that we only allow one nomination per voter), I'd like to see us somehow limit the weekly list of 20 songs in contention to one track per artist. I know that personally I have found that even though 2 tracks from the same artist on any given week may be, in my opinion, worthy of two votes I have a hard time pulling the trigger and sending those precious votes to one artist.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ears and turning me on to a lot of new music! Rock On!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'd like to nominate "Lampshades on Fire" by Modest Mouse
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Oh, man ... I sure hope this nomination flies ... a cover, but a new recording ... (and oh so good) ...

'Wanderlust' - Brian Wilson
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Rdwdbob wrote:Hey Guys, great job on this web-site! It's apparent that a lot of passionate work and energy goes into it. Please never stop... :D

I particularly like this forum. I find it fascinating on so many levels. Here are a couple of my thoughts and suggestions for the new rule changes:

1. I like the idea of extending the eligibility window from 6 months to one year. As Henrik has suggested it is pretty apparent that we are all discovering some cool 'new-to-our-ears' music on the numerous end of year charts. This would also allow for deeper cuts from albums that in many cases are stronger than their singles releases (check out our very own Hall-Of-Famer 'Outlier' by Spoon).

2. Should we extend that eligibility window, (and also now that we only allow one nomination per voter), I'd like to see us somehow limit the weekly list of 20 songs in contention to one track per artist. I know that personally I have found that even though 2 tracks from the same artist on any given week may be, in my opinion, worthy of two votes I have a hard time pulling the trigger and sending those precious votes to one artist.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ears and turning me on to a lot of new music! Rock On!
I agree with both statements from Rdwdbob. And I also second the statement "Please never stop".

In addition to 2. : I patiently waited with nominating Sharon van Etten's "Every TIme the Sun Comes Up" until "Our Love" had entered the Hall of Fame. This week we see two songs from her in the chart, which leads to a kind of cannibalism, not so nice in my humble opinion ...
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Setherex wrote:Please note that while the EOY song spreadsheet is being updated, the rules for nominations have changed to the following:

3. The highest placed songs in the current eoy spreadsheet (skipping the 6 months rule)

Please also feel free to suggest changes and discuss the new rules. They were suggested by Henrik, however we are very open to feedback! We are still in an experimental run of the AMF Chart, after all.
To be honest, I am not so happy with rule 3. In my opinion, the chart should be about new, "fresh" and "crunchy" songs, not about if the song was in some eoy list.

The Alvvays song, for instance, is longer known and comes from their 2013 album. As much as I like the song myself, it is a bit strange to have it now in the chart.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

My nomination:
The Decemberists - Lake Song
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

oh man, All this Could Be Yours dropped out in its 9th week!; and was at number 11 no less. Give it one more week and it will be in the Hall of Fame in time for Christmas. I'm just speechless.

Anyway, my nomination for this week:
D'Angelo - Sugah Daddy
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Andre wrote:
Setherex wrote:Please note that while the EOY song spreadsheet is being updated, the rules for nominations have changed to the following:

To be honest, I am not so happy with rule 3. In my opinion, the chart should be about new, "fresh" and "crunchy" songs, not about if the song was in some eoy list.

The Alvvays song, for instance, is longer known and comes from their 2013 album. As much as I like the song myself, it is a bit strange to have it now in the chart.
I would agree with Andre on this one. Highest placed songs on the eoy spreadsheet are fine as long as they were released within that year and not carry-overs from the preceding one.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

The place in the spreadsheet indicates that the song was discovered this year though.

"Archie, Marry Me" is such a great song. If the eoy rule is bad, then we have to a better job with the nominations during each year! ;)
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Maybe there are enough half year lists around for us to make a similar catch up in the summer?
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Absolutely Henrik! I've seen half year lists from SPIN, Paste Magazine, etc. mid-summer. In fact, I recall seeing "Archie, Marry Me" in most all of them.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

I'm actually of the opinion against the EOY rule changes at the moment. I do appreciate the experiment, and think it was worth testing, but after these last two weeks of vote, I have to say that I'm against doing it in the future.

I agree with Andre - the AMF chart was one of my sources throughout the year for finding "fresh" new music nominated by our peers (and a bit by the MegaCritic chart). Though the EOY songs do have a good reason to be on the chart, they aren't fresh, and their addition to the voting pool feels forced.

And not only that, but it also seems to be subduing the "fresh" nominations that our peers have been making. Because of the EOY additions, Cold War Kids' "All This Could Be Yours" was eliminated right before it would have surely made the Hall of Fame, and by the looks of it, Lana Del Rey's "Florida Kilos" could be eliminated this week. Both were entirely peer-supported until this point, and it's a shame that they've been overwhelmed by the onslaught of EOY pickings.

Of course, I am very open to nominating in songs from the EOY chart that we like, but not necessarily by just including them in without support. Limiting ourselves to one nomination per week is also a bit hindering (how am I supposed to pick just one D'Angelo song??? Come on, now).

As for all of the other suggestions, I'm a bit uneven on extending the nomination period to a year. I think it could work, as long as we make the guidelines a bit more specific - do we include songs based on their initial release only, or songs that have more recently gotten promotion through music videos, single releases, album releases, etc.? I would rather include a mid-2013 song that is just now receiving good attention (e.g. Alvvays) than a 2014 song that hasn't had much promotion in the last 11 months (e.g. Sun Kil Moon).

I'm against limiting artists to one song each. It seems to me that every time an artist has two songs on the chart, the better song makes it out, our voters do a good job of voting on quality over politics. The AMF chart should be based on the best songs of the moment, independent of what artist, album, or genre they come from - if that means two or three or four songs by one artist, so be it. I'll still just vote for the ones I like most :D

That being said, I'm supportive of what the community wants, of course. I would just mainly like it if we could tie our rules down a bit more into something (A) that's clear and concise in terms of qualification, (B) allows for songs to be voted and nominated purely over their quality over where they came from or who they're by, (C) puts more emphasis on opinions of our Forum voters, rather than the critics who vote in the MegaCritic / EOY chart.

Oh! And the new poll is tomorrow. Vote and nominate please! My nomination for this week (despite all my D'Angelo praise) is Kendrick Lamar's untitled "Colbert Report" performance.
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

Here are my takes on the nomination rules/ process:
- I think Setherex made his point here,the EOY could be a good reference, but by no mean we need to nominate every single ones here.
- I would love to see the 10 nomination songs from every week to be more diverse, in term of genres and artists (wouldn't it nice if each week we have songs from rock, pop, country, dance, metal, folk... genres to choose from instead of songs from the same artists?)
- so I'm also against the idea of many songs from the same artist on the same week.
- Songs that are 6 month old or songs from artists that released an album on that same week would be qualify.
- I still think 12 weeks (exactly 3 months) for a song to qualify Hall of Fame would make a HoF more privileged.
- In my opinion, a song that 1 year old could be qualify, if there is someone else second it.

And I still don't know how you process and rank songs that having the same vote. If we could understand the process better we can make some suggestion to eliminate the same ranking issue.
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

and also, restrict to 1 or 2 nominations per voter
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sorry for this late response on the rules for the AMF chart.

My intention of the chart was that the greatest recent music should be covered, and if the Cold War Kids song was eliminated because of the EOY additions, to me that means that better songs finally got their chance. It would be a lot better though if songs from the first half of a year could be found through mid-year critics' lists.

The nominations from peers have been great. I have lots of favorite songs from 2014 that I would not have discovered otherwise. During these last weeks there have still been room for one nomination per voter, so it's not that we have eliminated this feature.

However, as the host of these polls Setherex, your word should weight a lot higher than mine.

Maybe we should set up polls for people to vote on these outstanding issues?
- EOY catch up (yes/no)
- 6 months or 12 months window
- limit to one song per artist (yes/no)
- ...?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”