Unacclaimed 2.0 Group Stage: Week 8

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Unacclaimed 2.0 Group Stage: Week 8

Post by whuntva »

This is it, folks! We have reached the final week of the group stage! When the sun sets on this week, it will become a single-elimination bracket tournament. These next two groups are the final selections for who plays on in the next round!

Songs grouped into sets of four voted for by group. Four points on top, one at the bottom. Top Two advance. Ties broken by #1 votes.

End of the round is Sunday, 5 October at 11:59 pm UTC.

ROBERT PLANT GROUP
3) Gorillaz and Daley-Doncamatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwKcXfUmLkk
8) Dan Mangan-Road Regrets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hviiGCkVMiY
21) Anais Mitchell-Why We Build the Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgiK07Py9M
30) Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
http://youtu.be/NHjHQoxq9O0

BOB DYLAN GROUP
5) Radiohead-Talk Show Host
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU7sUENatUU
9) Kobiety-Marcello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RShT_fT-WY
17) Todd Rundgren-No World Order
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1EUir4qTCE
29) Ricky B-Shake it fo ya Hood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFy_nF5qrg

It's been really fun hosting! Thank you to all the AMFers for voting each and every week. This tournament would not be possible without the participation of each and every one of you. :D
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Unacclaimed 2.0 Group Stage: Week 8

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

whuntva wrote:ROBERT PLANT GROUP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwKcXfUmLkk
http://youtu.be/NHjHQoxq9O0
Dammit! I was worrying this would happen since day 1!
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

ROBERT PLANT
Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
Anais Mitchell-Why We Build the Wall
Gorillaz and Daley-Doncamatic
Dan Mangan-Road Regrets

I really felt I saved the best for last on this one. Three of the songs here are in the Top Ten for the entire tournament, IMO.

I am well aware of the "classical advantage" permeating the poll. I was never sure how to address this loophole, so I just accepted it. Sure enough, every piece considered classical advanced.

I would be so down for a classical poll if you wanted it.

But this time, I truly could not help myself. I gave points for audacity last time, but I think this is the most audacious piece of music I ever heard. I have been hit or miss on "neo-classical", but this is one of my favorite classical pieces from the 21st century. To me, it's the only song that could legitimately challenge "Gymnopedie".

But it was not a total runaway because...

Anais Mitchell was pretty good to. After hearing the buzz from Jirin, I gave Hadestown a listen. And I enjoyed it very much. It was much better than her somewhat lackluster song from Welcome to Night Vale would suggest. Even if you never saw the opera, if you have a basic grasp of the Myth of Orpheus, you can follow the story very well. I actually like "Wedding Song", "Our Lady of the Underground", and "Way Down Hadestown" even better.

This song is still very strong with its call-response sound and unusual structure. But it really needs the full context of the album to be fully appreciated. However, I would not be surprised or disappointed if this was the song that pulled off the upset and won the group over "Stella".

"Doncamatic" is great too. I remember when this song first came out, and my friends and I all loved it. I thought it was ineligible due to its release being around the time of Plastic Beach, but I was surprised to see it was based on my own rules. It got a really tough draw, but is still in the Top Ten for the poll.

Sorry Ron, I just entered numbers. I could not control the randomizer.

Dan Mangan was good, too. He could have easily won the next group...

BOB DYLAN
Todd Rundgren-No World Order
Kobiety-Marcello
Radiohead-Talk Show Host
Ricky B-Shake it fo Ya Hood

After the great group up top, it's such a letdown to have one this unremarkable at the bottom.

Todd Rundgren had an interesting showing. His song was catchy and upbeat, winning against fairly little competition.

"Marcello" was fun, even if I don't understand Polish.

And I don't think I'm breaking any hearts when I say "Talk Show Host" is one of Radiohead's worst songs. And this is coming from one of the biggest Radiohead fans on the forum.

"Shake it fo Ya Hood" is my least favorite song of the tournament, by the way. Sorry.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Robert Plant group:
1. Gorillaz feat. Daley - Doncamatic (2010)
2. Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella (2007)
3. Dan Mangan - Road Regrets (2009)
4. Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why We Build the Wall (2010)

BOB DYLAN GROUP
9) Kobiety-Marcello
Last edited by Henry on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Yeah, take your time with this one, guys.

I can confirm "Stella" is the longest song in the tournament by a large margin.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Plant group:
1. Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why We Build the Wall (2010)
2. Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella (2007)
5. Dan Mangan - Road Regrets (2009)
7. Gorillaz feat. Daley - Doncamatic (2010)

Zimmerman group:
3. Radiohead - Talk Show Host (1996)
4. Kobiety – Marcello (2000)
6. TR-i [Todd Rundgren] - No World Order 1.1 (1993)
8. Ricky B - Shake It fo Ya Hood (1994)

Sorry, whuntva. Please forgive me for playing the Bruce's "Manish Boy" game but I detected some minor inaccuracies in the names of artists or songs or in the video selections on this (excellent) game. It's not your fault at all, in some cases people who nominated the song did not put the exact name or an exact video link and you simply followed them. I'm absolutely aware that I'm nitpicking but anyway:
- The video you posted of "Longtime Sunshine" is not the original version by River Cuomo but the Weezer one. According to Weezerpedia (yes, I'm not joking) and to this exhaustive Weezer sessionography the song was recorded as a demo in late 1994 by Rivers Cuomo and first released in 2007 as the seventh track of "Alone: The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo" (that was the version acroamor specified). Weezer recorded it in August of 1995 on the "Pinkerton" sessions and this version was first released in 2010 as the twelfth track of the second CD of "Pinkerton (Deluxe Edition)." The nitpicking comes when in fact Weezer only added a coda ending to the Cuomo demo version and the Rivers Cuomo version only can be found in Youtube as part of the whole album (you can listen to it here from 13:41). So you can leave the same link if you want but the song acroamor selected actually ends at 3:06. Yes, yes, I know…
- Both the single "Stranger in a Strange Land" and the album "Leon Russell and The Shelter People" are credited to Leon Russell and The Shelter People and not to Leon Russell alone.
- Lord Invader, Duke of Iron, Macbeth the Great - Calypso War (enough said about this one).
- The 1937 original release of "Minor's Swing" is credited to Quintette du Hot Club de France, that included Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelly on their line-up. Reinhardt and Grappelly recorded the song again in 1949 in Rome with Italian musicians and this version was first released as "Minor Swing" in 1949 on the album "14 enregistrements inédits" credited to Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelly. Romain didn't provide a specific link for the game but since the link on his thread "France - One song per day" is for the 1937 version the credits probably should go to the Quintette du Hot Club de France as Minor's Swing.
- The two first albums by Owen Pallett were released under the name Final Fantasy and the song "The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead" was on the first album.
- Some albums by Todd Rundgren during the 90s (including 1993's "No World Order") were released under the pseudonym TR-i. And the video link you provided comes from a "live" version (although it includes only live vocals over the pre-recorded music backing). But the "original" studio version is not easy to trace on the net because "No World Order" was an interactive album when the listener could change sequence, tempo, mood and mix, so the songs never sounded the same, it depended on the listener. And the link Henry provided (from 6:43 to 10:52) is an edit version from an album Todd Rundgren (sorry, Tr-i) released the following year, "No World Order Lite" (1994). So the original version ("No World Order 1.1" as mixed by Todd Rundgren and lasting 6:22) is not on Youtube but you can find it on Spotify as part of the 2011 Expanded Edition.
- "Why We Build the Wall," the Anaïs Mitchell song features Greg Brown on lead vocals and probably should be credited to Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown.
- And, taking the nitpicking to the most extreme, the songs from Box Tops and Pointer Sisters on their original releases were credited to The Box Tops and The Pointer Sisters, with the The.

I know these are minor innacuracies but probably you could include these changes on Round 2.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

^^^No problem at all.

In fact, I want you to correct me on things like this, because I acknowledge I make mistakes and want you to help me so I can do better next time.

I'll change the names and see what I can do about the links.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Here are my rankings (implementing the changes Honorio noted above):

ROBERT PLANT GROUP
Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
Anais Mitchell F/ Greg Brown-Why We Build the Wall
Gorillaz and Daley-Doncamatic
Dan Mangan-Road Regrets

“Stella” is the one I’ve been waiting for since the nominations were announced. I discovered it last year while exploring the individual all-time songs lists and was instantly blown away by its power and beauty. It absolutely defies categorization and gives new meaning to the word “epic,” somehow managing to stay fresh and exciting throughout its entire 36 minutes.
And then the outstanding “Why We Build the Wall,” my favorite song from “Hadestown,” had to end up in the same bracket. It makes me very thankful that two songs from each bracket advance in this game!

BOB DYLAN GROUP
Radiohead-Talk Show Host
TR-i (Todd Rundgren)-No World Order
Kobiety-Marcello
Ricky B-Shake it fo ya Hood

I’ve loved “Talk Show Host” since I first heard it on the “Romeo + Juliet” soundtrack in the 90s: one of Radiohead’s more underrated tracks. One thing that can always be said about Todd: he’s eclectic, as he shows in “No World Order.” (As another example, I recommend his experimental album “Liars” from 2004.) I did also enjoy the third place songs in each bracket; the fourth weren’t bad, but didn’t appeal to me so much personally.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Here again the spotify playlist with all songs from the group phase, in order of appearance in the last 8 weeks and as far as I could find the songs on Spotify:

Last edited by Andre on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

1. Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
2. Anais Mitchell-Why We Build the Wall
3. Gorillaz and Daley-Doncamatic
4. Dan Mangan-Road Regrets

This was an easy group. "Stella" is my nomination, and remains one of the most alternately mind-blowing and beautiful tracks I've ever heard. Somehow it straddles a line between modern classical and IDM, and I can never get over the fact that I'm never bored by it, despite its length. "Why We Build the Wall" is very good, though I'm not quite as high on Hadestown as many here. The Gorillaz track is fine but unremarkable, and "Road Regrets" is not my cup of tea, though inoffensive.

1. Radiohead-Talk Show Host
2. Kobiety-Marcello
3. Todd Rundgren-No World Order
4. Ricky B-Shake it fo ya Hood

Wow, not a very good bracket IMO. "Talk Show Host" is good, sort of a bridge from The Bends to OK Computer without reaching the heights of either. After that, each song had something good and something bad in it. "Marcello" came in 2nd because of its kitsch value, but is relatively unmemorable. Todd Rundgren has always frustrated me -- so much talent, but rarely harnessed in a focused way, and "No World Order" is a fine microcosm of that. I know people love him, and I want to, but have trouble. And the Ricky B track has horrendous lyrics but a good counterpoint with the music-box backing track that makes the whole thing semi-bearable, though I'll never listen to it again.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Yep. I'm trolling for votes again.

I also remind Henry to cast his vote for Plant, unless he wants to hold up the results for that particular grouping.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Wow, way to break the streak of artist preference matching bracket preference. Bob's bracket loses to probably the best bracket in the entire game! I'm going to also go for a weekly top 8 just to illustrate that.

Robert Plant group:
1. Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why We Build the Wall (2010)
2. Dan Mangan - Road Regrets (2009)
3. Gorillaz feat. Daley - Doncamatic (2010)
4. Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella (2007)

Bob Dylan group:
5. Kobiety – Marcello (2000)
6. Radiohead - Talk Show Host (1996)
7. TR-i [Todd Rundgren] - No World Order 1.1 (1993)
8. Ricky B - Shake It fo Ya Hood (1994)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

To keep things fresh, I shall attempt to describe each of this week's songs with SpongeBob SquarePants quotes.

PLANT:
1. Doncamatic - "...the day I lost my identity."
2. Stella - "Can you move it along? I'm all out of time cards."
3. Why We Build The Wall - "Yeah, this is great, just the three of us. You, me, and this brick wall that you built between us."
4. Road Regrets - "Never mind the car, where’s the road? Road? Road? Road? Road? ...Sorry."

DYLAN:
1. No World Order - "Wait, Spongebob, we're not cavemen! We have technology."
2. Marcello - "Umm, I got it. Let's get naked!" "No, let's save that for when we're selling real estate."
3. Shake It Fo Ya Hood - "And all that running is good for your buns and thighs, right?"
4. Talk Show Host - "Uhh, yeah, we're with the pet hospital down the street and I understand that you have a dying animal on the premises."
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

"Wait, Spongebob, we're not cavemen! We have technology."

*slams computer on dollar bill*

"Uhh, yeah, we're with the pet hospital down the street and I understand that you have a dying animal on the premises."

That's a low blow, man...
...but so funny at the same time. ;)
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

ROBERT PLANT GROUP
30) Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella
21) Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why We Build the Wall
3) Gorillaz feat. Daley - Doncamatic
8) Dan Mangan - Road Regrets
Wow, "Stella" really grabbed me on the second listen. I agree with everyone else, a very strong group.

BOB DYLAN GROUP
17) TR-i [Todd Rundgren] - No World Order 1.1
5) Radiohead - Talk Show Host
9) Kobiety - Marcello
29) Ricky B - Shake it fo ya Hood
Todd Rundgren ahead of Radiohead... maybe I'm coming down with something.
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

ROBERT PLANT GROUP

BOB DYLAN GROUP
9) Kobiety-Marcello
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

ROBERT PLANT GROUP

Good Job Anais, ths song is really great.

BOB DYLAN GROUP
9) Kobiety-Marcello

No problemo for Radiohead with one of their best song (for me).
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Robert Plant group:
1. Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella (2007)
2. Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why We Build the Wall (2010)
5. Dan Mangan - Road Regrets (2009)
8. Gorillaz feat. Daley - Doncamatic (2010)

Stella is truly amazing and if a classical piece has to win this game, I easily prefer this one over Satie's effort. Why We Build the Wall is almost it's equal though. Two of the best songs of this game. Road Regrets is very good to, but not as original. Just like the last time we came across Gorillaz in this game it is again the weakest thing of the week. It makes it seem like I don't like Gorillaz, but it's just the songs that are selected here.

Bob Dylan group:
3. TR-i [Todd Rundgren] - No World Order 1.1 (1993)
4. Radiohead - Talk Show Host (1996)
6. Kobiety – Marcello (2000)
7. Ricky B - Shake It fo Ya Hood (1994)

Todd Rundgren is the only one who touches Daisuke and Mitchell a bit this week. It's not necessarily on par with them, but it's pretty great nonetheless. Talk Show Host doesn't rank among the top works of Radiohead to me, but also definitely not among their worst. Marcello and Shake It Fo Ya Hood are likeable, but not songs I will probably ever play again after this game is over.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

ROBERT PLANT GROUP

BOB DYLAN GROUP
9) Kobiety-Marcello

Stella presents the only "wow" here for me.

Thanks!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Like Bracketology I'm not sure if I have made it this week! Robert Plant group is outstanding.

ROBERT PLANT GROUP

Top 3 are close more familiar with the Daley number. Stella is brilliant, though I'm finding it hard to get information about the artist though...

BOB DYLAN GROUP
9) Kobiety-Marcello
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

ROBERT PLANT GROUP
2) Anais Mitchell-Why We Build the Wall
3) Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella
5) Gorillaz and Daley-Doncamatic
6) Dan Mangan-Road Regrets

BOB DYLAN GROUP
1) Radiohead-Talk Show Host
4) Ricky B-Shake it fo ya Hood
7) Todd Rundgren-No World Order
8) Kobiety-Marcello
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

I hope I made it in on time!

Robert Plant
1) Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella
2) Gorillaz - Doncamatic
3) Anais Mitchell - Why We Build the Wall
4) Dan Mangan - Road Regrets

Bob Dylan
1) Kobiety - Marcello
2) Radiohead - Talk Show Host
3) Ricky B - Shake It Fo Ya Hood
4) Todd Rundgren - No World Order
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Alright! Poll is closed.

I realize I came home sorta late, but the votes after 11:59 will still count.

This week gave us the only two songs with ZERO first-place votes.

PLANT GROUP
Kashiwa Daisuke-Stella (49, 7)
Anais Mitchell F/Greg Brown-Why we Build the Wall (44, 4)
---
Gorillaz and Daley-Doncamatic (37, 4)
Dan Mangan-Road Regrets (20, 0)

Both these were the top songs this week. Anais kept pace and even led for a short while, but "Stella could not be stopped.

Dan Mangan got shut out, but don't feel too bad. He DID have the toughest group.

"Stella" gets "Bird Balloons", and Anais gets Max Berlin next round.

DYLAN GROUP
Radiohead-Talk Show Host (48, 8)
Kobiety-Marcello (42, 4)
---
TR-i-No World Order 1.1 (39, 3)
Ricky B-Shake it fo Ya Hood (21, 0)

Song of the week is debatable this week. "Stella" got more total points, but "Talk Show Host" got more top votes.

Second was one again up in the air. Only McJagger's vote sent Kobiety into the next round. TR-i almost won the group, but starting Thursday, Todd hit a decline.

You people REALLY did not like Ricky B. He didn't even get a second-place vote until today!

Alright, Group stage is over! We now move on to the Round of 32!

Bracket will be up shortly.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”