AMF Chart Week 17 2014

Vote for up to 5 of your favorite songs!

Poll ended at Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Ben Frost - "Venter"
2%
The Black Keys - "Fever"
6%
The Black Keys - "Weight of Love"
8%
The Common Linnets - "Calm After the Storm"
2%
Conor Oberst - "Zigzagging Toward the Light"
5%
Di-Rect - "You & I"
5%
Fennesz - "Liminality"
3%
Future Islands - "Seasons (Waiting on You)"
6%
Greyhounds - "Yours to Steal"
4%
Jeremy Messersmith - "Ghost"
3%
Lana Del Rey - "West Coast"
8%
Owen Pallett - "The Sky Behind the Flag"
4%
Owen Pallett - "The Riverbed"
5%
Parquet Courts - "Sunbathing Animal"
3%
Röyksopp & Robyn - "Monument"
5%
Sharon Van Etten - "Tarifa"
5%
Swans - "A Little God in My Hands"
7%
Sylvan Esso - "Coffee"
3%
tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain"
6%
The War on Drugs - "Under Pressure"
11%

Total votes: 101

Setherex
Movin' On Up

AMF Chart Week 17 2014

Post by Setherex »

Welcome to Week 17 of the AMF Chart! Otherwise known as The Black Keys Appreciation Competition for the time being.

Here are your rankings for Week 16 (number of weeks on the chart so far in parentheses):
1. The Black Keys - "Weight of Love" (1)
2. Lana Del Rey - "West Coast" (2)
3. The Common Linnets - "Calm After the Storm" (1)
4. The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure" (7)
5. The Black Keys - "Fever" (6)
6. Future Islands - "Seasons (Waiting on You)" (7)
6. Swans - "A Little God in My Hands" (7)
8. tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain" (8)
9. Jeremy Messersmith - "Ghost" (3)
10. Fennesz - "Liminality" (4)
11. The Afghan Whigs - "Algiers" (5)
12. Keb' Mo' - "The Worst Is Yet to Come" (1)
13. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (7)
14. The Both - "Milwaukee" (1)
14. Broken Twin - "Sun Has Gone" (1)
16. Drive-By Truckers - "Shit Shots Count" (1)
16. Nick Mulvey - "Cucurucu" (1)
16. Sia - "Chandelier" (1)
19. Gobby - "Aantezeksyll" (1)
19. Margot and the Nuclear So and So's - "Hello, San Francisco" (1)

The top 10 songs went through to this week. I think this is the first time that last week's chart-topping song has been eliminated in the next week. Interesting stuff. The deal with new entries was a little funky this week, since many of the "new" albums on the Mega Critic Chart had appeared in previous weeks already. So only four entries from the current edition of the chart made it into the poll. The other six new songs are nominations!

2014 Chart-toppers by week (number of weeks atop of the chart, if more than 1, are counted next to the name):

1. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - "Fuck Off Get Free (For the Island of Montreal)"
2. Damien Jurado - "Silver Timothy" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die"
3. Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (2)
4. Damien Jurado - "Silver Timothy" (2)
5. Young Fathers - "Get Up"
6. St. Vincent - "Digital Witness" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (3)
7. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (4)
8. The War on Drugs - "Red Eyes" / Warpaint - "Love Is to Die" (5)
9. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (2)
10. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (3)
11. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary"
12. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (4) / Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (2)
13. Sun Kil Moon - "Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes" (5)
14. tUnE-yArDs - "Water Fountain"
15. Todd Terje feat. Bryan Ferry - "Johnny and Mary" (3)
16. The Black Keys - "Weight of Love"

Here is this week's 18-song Spotify chart (with the two remaining songs in Youtube clips):

The Black Keys - "Weight of Love" is currently unavailable on Youtube, so here's a temporary Grooveshark link:
http://grooveshark.com/s/Weight+Of+Love/6S1RBn?src=5

Here is your 2014 AMF Chart playlist of all songs on the chart so far:

A friendly note to you all again to keep voting and nominating! Remember that you can second others' nominations to give songs a bigger chance of making it in to next week! And of course, please use your nominations wisely ;)

Best of voting! :D
Last edited by Setherex on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Re: AMF Chart Week 17 2014

Post by Andre »

Setherex, thanks for the results and new line up for this week!

Please be aware, that Di-Rect is available on Spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/track/6fEiVtKzQvgzrsFZX2YBO3
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Andre wrote:Setherex, thanks for the results and new line up for this week!

The song doesn't appear to be available in my neck of the woods :( Shame too, considering how great it is.

I'll keep a tab on it! But I'll keep it as a YouTube link for now. For my own obsessively compulsive sanity. Plus, maybe it'll get some post-Black Keys attention :P
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Setherex wrote:
Andre wrote:Setherex, thanks for the results and new line up for this week!

The song doesn't appear to be available in my neck of the woods :( Shame too, considering how great it is.

I'll keep a tab on it! But I'll keep it as a YouTube link for now. For my own obsessively compulsive sanity. Plus, maybe it'll get some post-Black Keys attention :P
OK, got it. I'm fairly new to Spotify, but it seems that it is somehow similar to YouTube, where songs can be available in some countries and not in some other countries. The YouTube link is not working here in Germany, but for users from "my neck of the woods" the Spotify link should work. :whistle:

To summarize it all: Please all listen and vote for this song! :happy-partydance:

Finally, some very significant stats, the top 8 songs with the highest number of votes per week:
1. Damien Jurado - Silver Timothy (12 votes in week 4)
2. Sun Kil Moon - Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes (11 votes in week 10)
3. Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free (For The Island Of Montreal) (10 votes in week 1)
3. The Black Keys - Weight Of Love (10 votes in week 16)
5. Warpaint - Love Is To Die (9 votes in weeks 2, 3 and 4)
6. St. Vincent - Digital Witness (9 votes in weeks 4 and 10)
7. tUnE-yArDs - Water Fountain (9 votes in week 14)
7. Todd Terje featuring Bryan Ferry - Johnny And Marry (9 votes in week 15)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I just found out that the Greyhounds track "Yours to Steal" which a normally reliable (not really) source presented as a 2014 track, in fact came from a 2011 EP. :angry-nono: It may be sufficiently obscure that nobody cares under the "not have been discovered by very many until recently" rule; it has fewer than 300 plays at Last.fm. I think we had a similar case with a Temples song earlier in the game. Ruling, Setherex, want to disqualify?
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

I'd like to nominate the following:
1. Ben Khan - Youth [from his EP "1992"]
2. Michael Jackson - Love Never Felt So Good [the opening track off Xscape]
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

DocBrown wrote:I just found out that the Greyhounds track "Yours to Steal" which a normally reliable (not really) source presented as a 2014 track, in fact came from a 2011 EP. :angry-nono: It may be sufficiently obscure that nobody cares under the "not have been discovered by very many until recently" rule; it has fewer than 300 plays at Last.fm. I think we had a similar case with a Temples song earlier in the game. Ruling, Setherex, want to disqualify?
Hmm. Issues of obscurity are quite the interesting ones. I'll say, in this case, that the song seems to just now be picking up popularity - releasing as a single from the album, with a music video last month. I'll give it the pass. But in the future, I'll try to check up on nominee history a bit tighter :P
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I don't understand why "Under the Pressure" is in a big lead. IMO the first 2 minutes are very good, the next 3 minutes are just ok, and the last 3 minutes are boooring. Why did War on Drugs choose to lose momentum like that before "Red Eyes" kicks in?

I'm definitely over the sudden departure of "Johnny and Mary" now, as I got a new downtempo favorite in Röyksopp and Robyn's "Monument"!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Been a fan of Acclaimed Music for a few years now. Great job Henrik!
Intrigued by this board.
Wanna nominate 'Turtles All The Way Down' by Sturgil Simpson
...and a complete 180 with a second on the nomination for ... Michael's 'Love Never Felt So Good'
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Rdwdbob! And welcome!

There seem to be an increasing number of lurkers that come out from the shadows! :greetings-waveyellow:
Sketch
Strange Fruit

Post by Sketch »

:greetings-waveyellow:

For this week, I will nominate Bob Mould - "Hey Mr. Grey"
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nomination:

BADBADNOTGOOD - Can't Leave the Night
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I'm gonna nominate "Night and Day" by Jon Allen and "I'm Aquarius" by Metronomy.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

I'm gonna nominate:
Torreblanca - "Mil Fantasmas"
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Hmm. I'm hesitant at your Metronomy nomination, Doc, since the single was on last year's EOY chart. However, the album did come out less than six months ago, as did the music video. So I suppose it should be fairly considered. Perhaps we need criteria for this six months thing.

Also, it seems that The Black Keys doesn't want us listening to any songs of theirs besides "Fever." So I've included "Weight of Love" as a Grooveshark link for the time being.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Setherex wrote:Hmm. I'm hesitant at your Metronomy nomination, Doc, since the single was on last year's EOY chart. However, the album did come out less than six months ago, as did the music video. So I suppose it should be fairly considered. Perhaps we need criteria for this six months thing.
Yeah, I could go either way on that, too. I was going through your all nominee playlist and Metronomy stuck out as one album that hadn't yet competed, but it's probably past its best before date.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'm gonna nominate "Would You Fight For My Love?" by Jack White
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

My 3 nominations:
1) The Men - Settle Me Down
2) The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Impossible (second track on the Simple and Sure single)
3) Omi Palone - Architecture
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

I'l nominate
-High Ball Stepper - Jack White;
-Cavity - Hundred Waters
-Hundreds of Ways - Conor Oberst
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Henrik wrote:I don't understand why "Under the Pressure" is in a big lead. IMO the first 2 minutes are very good, the next 3 minutes are just ok, and the last 3 minutes are boooring. Why did War on Drugs choose to lose momentum like that before "Red Eyes" kicks in?

I'm definitely over the sudden departure of "Johnny and Mary" now, as I got a new downtempo favorite in Röyksopp and Robyn's "Monument"!
Henrik, i can repeat that I'm sorry that I probably had some influence on the sudden departure of "Johnny and Mary", but I am not going to apologize for the fact, that I cannot stand the song anymore.

The sudden high number of votes for "Under the Pressure" also surprises me. I adore this song and do very much need the additional 3 minutes at the end. Not boring at all to me, the song does something to me and keeps me in a trance, I guess this is really a difference in taste.

Comparison: My all-time favourite album is (still after all these years) Remain in Light from the Talking Heads, and for some people it starts great but gets boring at the end, but here I also totally disagree. The album in its whole is a fantastic trip, I love those songs at the end.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Let me be clear and not forget to leave this compliment:

This AMF Chart is absolutely great! Who cares about if a song reaches the HoF or not, it is all about discovering new interesting songs and exchanging our opinions about it! I have been following this forum more or less actively over many years now, and this chart is really something special and I love it!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Andre, as you said, the chart is much more fun when we exchange opinions. So there's no need for you to apologize for "Johnny and Mary's" sudden departure, even if it influenced the voting (which I doubt).

My comment on "Under the Pressure" probably sounded like a revenge, but I didn't mean to. What I really wanted to know was if those who vote for it love the whole track, or just vote for the first minutes. Which you actually answered, even if I didn't raise the question like that.

This poll is set up in ananonymous way, but I encourage everyone to make a comment about their votes now and then.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Actually, "Under the Pressure" is the only track I've voted for more than twice in succession. Like Andre, it's among my go to songs for 2014. And like Andre (also known as DrDre) I quickly disliked "Johnny and Mary". Hmmm, Henrik, don't you think you should listen to your doctors?
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

The ending of Under the Pressure reminds me of the end of Purple Rain - it's got that same kind of droning feel to it, like it could just keep going on forever.

It's amazing what you can do with two chords and some superb production. (Like Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams"!)
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Does anyone want to take a coffee with Sylvan Esso?

This great song has only one vote, mine

The sparse production feels like it could be from a song by The XX, but it doesn’t really sound like it. The bloop-bleep nature of the chiming production helps to bring out the intimacy of the vocals, and the chorus is one of my favorite hooks in forever. It’s a smooth, sexy song that knows what it’s doing.

From http://samlovesmusic.wordpress.com/
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:I don't understand why "Under the Pressure" is in a big lead. IMO the first 2 minutes are very good, the next 3 minutes are just ok, and the last 3 minutes are boooring. Why did War on Drugs choose to lose momentum like that before "Red Eyes" kicks in?
I listened to the song again this morning, and realised that I was way too negative in my previous post. In fact the greatest moment is probably when it takes off again within those "just ok 3 minutes". And I don't really mind the last minutes either. It has a quite nice fading out feeling which would have made sense if, like "Purple Rain", it had been the last song on the album.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Otisredding wrote:Does anyone want to take a coffee with Sylvan Esso?
Yes, I haven't voted yet because I haven't decided on my 5 votes, but I'm surprised to read that Sylvan Esso only have one vote.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Henrik wrote:Andre, as you said, the chart is much more fun when we exchange opinions. So there's no need for you to apologize for "Johnny and Mary's" sudden departure, even if it influenced the voting (which I doubt).

My comment on "Under the Pressure" probably sounded like a revenge, but I didn't mean to. What I really wanted to know was if those who vote for it love the whole track, or just vote for the first minutes. Which you actually answered, even if I didn't raise the question like that.

This poll is set up in ananonymous way, but I encourage everyone to make a comment about their votes now and then.
Thanks for your post, Henrik!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I don't know how lenient we're being, but Fox's "High Tide Rising", with a video from January, just got some airplay here recently. I think it's new enough.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'd also like to nominate "Can't Do Without You" by Caribou
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

acroamor wrote:I'm gonna nominate "Would You Fight For My Love?" by Jack White
Yeeeees please.

I had only checked three songs until I had listened to the ones I wasn't familiar with. I'm enjoying Coffee, and look forward to going through s/t by Sylvan Esso.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

My nomination
M.I.A.: Double Bubble Trouble

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”