EOY Albums Spreadsheet: Update thread

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: EOY Albums Spreadsheet: Update thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jonathon wrote:One of my big shames as an American is our mistreatment of Nick Cave. One of the greatest songwriters of the last 30 years, and we treat him like a nobody.
I hear you, man. He, along with so many acts from outside the US, is so poorly represented, underplayed, and obscure over here. Most of the public here probably doesn't even know about him. What's so cruel is that he is a huge fan of many great American blues and country acts, and is very influenced by them himself. You would think that we would embrace him more, but, what can you do. Of course, if he-who-shall-not-be-named views this, I'm sure he'll produce an unwarranted responce by justifing the public's lack of enthusiasm about him by citing sales figures, Grammies, if he has a song that can be named by the guy down on a street in freakin' Newark, and that he is just "another white act".

... Wow, I saved everybody the displeasure of having to listen to his arguments. :happy-partydance:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Harold wrote:Updated with:

USA/Canada: Tiny Mix Tapes, SputnikMusic, Pitchfork
UK: The Guardian [#3-4], The Line of Best Fit, The Fly, Bowlegs
Rest of World: Kalporz [Italy], Numerocero [#6-20] [Spain], Playground [Natl] [Spain], Recorder [Hungary], Ouest [France]
Harold, the name of the newspaper is "Ouest France", not Ouest :mrgreen:
And the Album list from "Magic RPM" is still not here, I don't konw if you see it, I put the list in the same thread than the songs.

And thanks for this work, it's one of the biggest reason I'm happy to have internet.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Stephan wrote:John Murry's The Graceless Age is a 2012 album. It should also be much higher, but that's another matter.
No worries Stephen, I have already notified Harold of the issue so it's 2012 score and 2013 shall hopefully be collated. Personally I thought it deserved the praise it received too, even if the overall exposure hasn't been very widespread.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

JimmyJazz wrote: Of course, if he-who-shall-not-be-named views this...
Jesus Christ, Jimmy... :x
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Harold wrote:
I apologize again, Harold. I have officially made it a vow to ignore him forever, so this type of post from me will not be repeated.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

JimmyJazz wrote:
Harold wrote:
I apologize again, Harold. I have officially made it a vow to ignore him forever, so this type of post from me will not be repeated.
I cannot name one sing by this Cave guy. I've seen his name before, probably on this site somewhere. I looked over his bio, the only thing we seem to have in common is that we were both born In September of 1957. He's got me by 8 days.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bruce wrote: I cannot name one sing by this Cave guy. I've seen his name before, probably on this site somewhere. I looked over his bio, the only thing we seem to have in common is that we were both born In September of 1957. He's got me by 8 days.
Bruce, I don't know if you're a fan of Johnny Cash's late-in-life "American recordings," but there's a brilliant cover of Cave's 1988 death-row anthem "The Mercy Seat" on 2000's American III: Solitary Man.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Harold wrote:
Bruce wrote: I cannot name one sing by this Cave guy. I've seen his name before, probably on this site somewhere. I looked over his bio, the only thing we seem to have in common is that we were both born In September of 1957. He's got me by 8 days.
Bruce, I don't know if you're a fan of Johnny Cash's late-in-life "American recordings," but there's a brilliant cover of Cave's 1988 death-row anthem "The Mercy Seat" on 2000's American III: Solitary Man.
When it comes to Cash I pretty much mainly like his Sun Records and a few 1960s things. "One Piece At A Time" and "What is Truth" are pretty good too.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Back to the overall discussion of the acts that seem to do well in different countries, it is a very interesting phenomena. Different regions simply drift to different genres. Generally, I find that hip-hop does better with North American critics than with UK and "rest of the world" critics (rest of the world predominately meaning continental Europe and Latin America, in this case). Kanye West always seems to be the exception to this rule these days, however, and I'm obviously not taking into account European and Latin hip-hop acts, either. Alternative acts are popular in all regions, but slightly less than among the US critics. Conversely, the US critics are much more willing to include very mainstream stuff on their lists, such as Katy Perry, Drake, Robin Thicke, and, of course, Miley Cyrus. :mrgreen: Finally, each region is noticeably quite patriotic to the music from their perspective countries, which is inevitable. Any genre and act preferences anyone else notices with different critics that maybe I'm missing?
Sketch
Strange Fruit

Post by Sketch »

Jonathon wrote:It's kind of ironic. Last time The National lost to Arcade Fire when I thought High Violet was clearly a better album than The Suburbs. This year, the National put out what's (in my opinion) their weakest album since 2004, and The Arcade Fire put out their strongest since 2004...and The National is beating Arcade Fire.

*throws up hands.*
I get the frustration here even though Reflektor is my least favorite AF album. To their credit, they tried something different with Murphy while the National made another National album (still a really good record, borderline Top 10 for me).

Another +1 to Yeezus-at-No-1-WTF.
Sketch
Strange Fruit

Post by Sketch »

I also missed two pages of exchanges and updates (facepalm) and see that AF jumped National. And so it is...

Thanks for all your work here, folks.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

While I think 2013 has been one of the richest years (I could make a top 40 albums list with only album I really enjoyed which is a first, by far), I don't feel like there has been any instant classic, neither on the current EOY top 10 nor in my personal one, so I don't mind that much who ends up first.
I don't think Yeezus is as good as the #1 of the previous years but it is by far my favorite among the 4 who stand a chance to get this spot. And at least all those 4 albums showcase an attempt of their respective bands/artists to make their music evolve.

I find it a bit disappointing though that for me, 9 out of the top 10 have already released a better album before (well, I don't like either m b v or Loveless or Isn't Anything, so I can not really judge on this one).

Regarding the difference between countries, I am really baffled at UK ranking for Settle, I honestly expected it to be top 3, if not the #1 of the year, I really thought it was a massive critical and popular success there.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following:

USA/Canada: The L, CokeMachineGlow, Billboard
UK/Ireland: The Guardian [complete], Resident Advisor, State [Ireland], God is in the TV [#25-100]
Rest of World: Go Mag [Intl / Natl] [Spain], Storia della Musica [Italy], Magic RPM [France], Rolling Stone-Germany [Germany]

So David Bowie was all like "I've got a death grip on this #10 spot" and then The Knife showed up with their masks and their Swedish accents and were all like "Dot's what you tink, old man" and they circled each other and while they were focused on each other James Blake came along and was all like "Oh hai guys guess what I'll take that #10 now."

Of course, either Bowie or The Knife could and probably will take it right back again, but Blake's the first new entry in the top 10 in a while so I thought it was worth noting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

And with that, you can celebrate that you've got exactly 1,000 albums in the spreadsheet! Many many thanks for your hard work, Harold!

Also, I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone who has posted EOY lists in the critics' lists forum!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Eddie Snide
Start Me Up

Post by Eddie Snide »

Nassim wrote:While I think 2013 has been one of the richest years (I could make a top 40 albums list with only album I really enjoyed which is a first, by far), I don't feel like there has been any instant classic, neither on the current EOY top 10 nor in my personal one...
I couldn't agree more Nassim, and it's good to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. If I had to pick an album of the year it would probably have to be Modern Vampires Of The City, but there's been nothing this year that I feel remotely inclined to start proselytising about.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I actually feel that way about this decade in general. Dark Fantasy, Channel Orange, and The Seer are the only albums I've heard this decade that really rocked me to my core.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nassim wrote:While I think 2013 has been one of the richest years (I could make a top 40 albums list with only album I really enjoyed which is a first, by far), I don't feel like there has been any instant classic, neither on the current EOY top 10 nor in my personal one, so I don't mind that much who ends up first.
I don't think Yeezus is as good as the #1 of the previous years but it is by far my favorite among the 4 who stand a chance to get this spot. And at least all those 4 albums showcase an attempt of their respective bands/artists to make their music evolve.

I find it a bit disappointing though that for me, 9 out of the top 10 have already released a better album before (well, I don't like either m b v or Loveless or Isn't Anything, so I can not really judge on this one).

Regarding the difference between countries, I am really baffled at UK ranking for Settle, I honestly expected it to be top 3, if not the #1 of the year, I really thought it was a massive critical and popular success there.
I'd have to agree. "Reflektor" is my number 1 album of the year, but even so, it's still my lowest ranked album of the year since 1981.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: Death & Taxes, Antiquiet, The Owl, XLR8R
UK/Ireland: Gigwise, Muso's Guide, Sounds XP
Rest of World: Spex [Germany], De Volkskrant [The Netherlands], The Age [Australia], Rip It Up [Australia], Indie Hoy [Argentina]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Nick wrote:
Nassim wrote:While I think 2013 has been one of the richest years (I could make a top 40 albums list with only album I really enjoyed which is a first, by far), I don't feel like there has been any instant classic, neither on the current EOY top 10 nor in my personal one, so I don't mind that much who ends up first.

I'd have to agree. "Reflektor" is my number 1 album of the year, but even so, it's still my lowest ranked album of the year since 1981.
I'm not sure if I'm quite on the same page (2008 and 2011 albums of the year were weaker in my eyes) but Reflektor is also my album of the year, and it's in my bottom 5 albums of the year for the last 40 years.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: Under the Radar
UK/Ireland: God is in the TV [complete], No Ripcord
Rest of World: Soundi [Intl/Natl] [Finland], WATM [France], Goutemesdisques [France], Liberation [France]

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

Jonathon wrote:I actually feel that way about this decade in general. Dark Fantasy, Channel Orange, and The Seer are the only albums I've heard this decade that really rocked me to my core.
Add Let England Shake to that list an we're in complete agreement...nothing release this year would be my number one album in any other of the past 10 years, and probably farther...rich year overall...terrible year for all time greats, nothing even in the ball park.
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

Illiniq wrote:
Jonathon wrote:I actually feel that way about this decade in general. Dark Fantasy, Channel Orange, and The Seer are the only albums I've heard this decade that really rocked me to my core.
Add Let England Shake to that list an we're in complete agreement...nothing release this year would be my number one album in any other of the past 10 years, and probably farther...rich year overall...terrible year for all time greats, nothing even in the ball park.
I think that's easy to say in retrospect. 1 year ago, channel ORANGE was one of several records I really enjoyed. It's only another year of listening and it took on a deeper role and stands next to my all time favorites. I don't know if that will happen for any of this year's batch (although Kanye, VW, DP, James Blake, Disclosure, Jai Paul, Deafheaven and others rocked pretty hard)
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Illiniq wrote:
I'd personally put Reflektor over Let England Shake, though I still love that album. 2011 was in my opinion, the weakest year in music so far, following an incredibly strong 2010.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jonathon wrote:
Illiniq wrote:
I'd personally put Reflektor over Let England Shake, though I still love that album. 2011 was in my opinion, the weakest year in music so far, following an incredibly strong 2010.
I agree completely. 2010 was an absolutely amazing year for music, probably the second best year of the last 10 years (second to only 2007, and it's damn close). 2011 on the other hand, was a decent year, but easily the weakest of this young decade.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I actually have 6 albums from 2011 ahead of my number one from 2010.

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
CunninLynguists - Oneirology
The Black Keys - El Camino
Washed Out - Within and Without
The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik wrote:I actually have 6 albums from 2011 ahead of my number one from 2010.

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
CunninLynguists - Oneirology
The Black Keys - El Camino
Washed Out - Within and Without
The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
I have 5 2010 ahead of my #1 for 2011, so we're even. :happy-partydance:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Here's my top ten of 2010/2011, with my all time rankings in parenthesis. 2010 is so far ahead, it's not even close.

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (14) 2010
2. This Is Happening (91) 2010
3. The Suburbs (105) 2010
4. Teen Dream (106) 2010
5. Let England Shake (137) 2011
6. James Blake (174) 2011
7. The ArchAndroid (194) 2010
8. High Violet (196) 2010
9. Kaputt (229) 2011
10. Bon Iver, Bon Iver (233) 2011
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Nick wrote:Here's my top ten of 2010/2011, with my all time rankings in parenthesis. 2010 is so far ahead, it's not even close.

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (14) 2010
2. This Is Happening (91) 2010
3. The Suburbs (105) 2010
4. Teen Dream (106) 2010
5. Let England Shake (137) 2011
6. James Blake (174) 2011
7. The ArchAndroid (194) 2010
8. High Violet (196) 2010
9. Kaputt (229) 2011
10. Bon Iver, Bon Iver (233) 2011

I don't have my all time ranks figured out anymore...but ff you exchange The Suburbs for High Violet, and Bon Iver for James Blake, that would basically be my 2010 vs 2011 list.
Last edited by Jonathon on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howdoesitfeel
The Only Way Is Up

Post by howdoesitfeel »

I seem to be in disagreement with a lot of you. I thought that 2013 was the best year for music in my lifetime, and that Reflektor was by far Arcade Fire's weakest album. My favorite album of the year was Push the Sky Away by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

howdoesitfeel wrote:I seem to be in disagreement with a lot of you. I thought that 2013 was the best year for music in my lifetime, and that Reflektor was by far Arcade Fire's weakest album. My favorite album of the year was Push the Sky Away by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

I can understand liking The Suburbs more than Reflektor, but (in my opinion) Neon Bible is such an obvious ugly duckling in their discography. The fact that they had to revive an old EP track for the record shows what dire straights they were in creatively, and how much they were kind of fudging a follow up.

Push the Sky Away is one of my least favorite Nick Cave records. I thought he did balladry better on The Boatman's Call and The Good Son. "Higgs Boson Blues" is still a mighty song though.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Jonathon wrote:I can understand liking The Suburbs more than Reflektor, but (in my opinion) Neon Bible is such an obvious ugly duckling in their discography. The fact that they had to revive an old EP track for the record shows what dire straights they were in creatively, and how much they were kind of fudging a follow up.
I agree that Neon Bible is nowhere near as great as its predecessor or successor, but I still think it's a very, very good album. That old EP track ("No Cars Go") and "My Body is a Cage" are a killer one-two closing punch, and "Intervention" and "Windowsill" are two of my favorite AF tracks. However, between those two songs the album hits a serious lull, and I firmly believe that no matter what they do in the future, "(Antichrist Television Blues)" will always remain the worst song they will have ever recorded.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Harold wrote:
Jonathon wrote:I can understand liking The Suburbs more than Reflektor, but (in my opinion) Neon Bible is such an obvious ugly duckling in their discography. The fact that they had to revive an old EP track for the record shows what dire straights they were in creatively, and how much they were kind of fudging a follow up.
I agree that Neon Bible is nowhere near as great as its predecessor or successor, but I still think it's a very, very good album. That old EP track ("No Cars Go") and "My Body is a Cage" are a killer one-two closing punch, and "Intervention" and "Windowsill" are two of my favorite AF tracks. However, between those two songs the album hits a serious lull, and I firmly believe that no matter what they do in the future, "(Antichrist Television Blues)" will always remain the worst song they will have ever recorded.
I always felt like Neon Bible was initially overrated simply for being an Arcade Fire album. I always wonder how critics and listeners alike would've reacted if some other act had made that album. I think Funeral made them a pet favorite, and has sort of inflated the reception of the subsequent two albums.

But my voice ultimately won't matter. History will deem the Arcade Fire the best North American act of the early 21st century, and their run uniformly masterful, even if there are some runs that are arguably better.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

So anyway, on topic, I guess the year end lists have cooled down until the Village Voice list in February. Any major ones missing?
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

I don't think Entertainment Weekly had a proper one but maybe they are going to let picks from one particular editor speak for all of them?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Jonathon wrote:So anyway, on topic, I guess the year end lists have cooled down until the Village Voice list in February. Any major ones missing?
I've just updated the eligible source list in the Critics' List section with those 2012 sources whose lists haven't been posted here yet. There's still quite a few to go.

I'll try to post a spreadsheet update by the end of the week. I'm waiting for an answer from Henrik about scoring the lists from Exclaim! (he's apparently taking a well-deserved break - if so, good for him), and for Mixmag to post their goddamn top 10 already. "Oh, look how fucking cooooooooool we are, making everyone wait for our top 10. We are just so fucking cool, man." Suck it, Mixmag.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

notdarkyet wrote:I don't think Entertainment Weekly had a proper one but maybe they are going to let picks from one particular editor speak for all of them?
Well, they did do a top 10, but it was indeed from one writer (Nick Catucci), and as you know those aren't eligible for the spreadsheet. Wanna take a guess what #1 was? Go on, guess. It was a total, total shock, I'm telling you.
howdoesitfeel
The Only Way Is Up

Post by howdoesitfeel »

Jonathon wrote:
Harold wrote:
I always felt like Neon Bible was initially overrated simply for being an Arcade Fire album. I always wonder how critics and listeners alike would've reacted if some other act had made that album. I think Funeral made them a pet favorite, and has sort of inflated the reception of the subsequent two albums.

But my voice ultimately won't matter. History will deem the Arcade Fire the best North American act of the early 21st century, and their run uniformly masterful, even if there are some runs that are arguably better.
See, I feel about Reflektor how you feel about Neon Bible- that if anyone else made it, it wouldn't be so acclaimed
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Happy New Year!

Updated with:
USA/Canada: Little White Earbuds, Exclaim! [Canada]
UK/Ireland: fRoots, Mixmag
Rest of World: Numerocero [Intl (complete) / Natl] [Spain], Ondarock [Italy], New Noise [France], ChronicArt [France]
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

howdoesitfeel wrote: See, I feel about Reflektor how you feel about Neon Bible- that if anyone else made it, it wouldn't be so acclaimed
I disagree. I see Reflektor as basically the first brave thing Arcade Fire has done since Funeral. They were simply resting in their laurels for the last two albums.

Besides, there are several albums similar enough to Reflektor with high acclaim to thwart your argument. It's the Arcade Fire's take on Station to Station, without fully bending the knee to Bowie. It's still their work.

I predict the years will be kind to Reflektor, and we'll see it rise, as we saw Kid A gain stature over the years. I also believe, that like Neon Bible, The Suburbs will fall over time.
cartoken
Are You Experienced?

Post by cartoken »

really surprised about kanye west being in the first spot this year and a bit disappointed not to see Deerhunter a bit higher. they really released a top 10 material
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

So does anyone a little more statistically inclined than me want to open up the floor for discussion about what the results will mean for artist ranking?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jonathon wrote:So does anyone a little more statistically inclined than me want to open up the floor for discussion about what the results will mean for artist ranking?
I'm not particularly statistically inclined, but here's my shot, with prospective rankings of new albums and songs included, and assuming all currently ranked albums and songs positions remain unchanged (unless otherwise noted). I'm also using the top 9 albums and songs per artist, as that's how Henrik calculates artist ranking.

Kanye West (currently 59)-

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy- 150 (this album will probably rise a lot, so it's safe to assume a 150 placement for now)
2. Yeezus- 200
3. The College Dropout- 258
4. Late Registration- 458
5. Graduation- 1115
6. Watch the Throne (split with Jay-Z)- 1781
7. 808s and Heartbreak- 1866
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Jesus Walks- 457
2. Gold Digger- 491
4. Runaway- 532
5. Black Skinhead- 800
6. American Boy (split with Estelle)- 832
7. Power- 942
8. New Slaves- 1000
9. Monster (split with Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, and Bon Iver)- 1046

Now let's take Kanye's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than him-

Roxy Music (currently 39)-

1. For Your Pleasure- 105
2. Roxy Music- 204
3. Avalon- 515
4. Siren- 656
5. Stranded- 747
6. Country Life- 926
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Virginia Plain- 131
2. Love Is the Drug- 475
3. More Than This- 1165
4. Do the Strand- 1230
5. Pyjamarama- 2940
6. A Song for Europe- BU
7. In Every Dream Home a Heartache- BU
8. Mother of Pearl- BU
9. Dance Away- BU

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Kanye West will at least place at number 39 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure he'll have the power to beat the number 38 artist, Pixies, but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure he'll beat Roxy Music though. Now let's look at Arcade Fire-

Arcade Fire (currently 57)-

1. Funeral- 47
2. The Suburbs- 175
3. Reflektor- 400
4. Neon Bible- 484
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Reflektor- 250
2. Rebellion (Lies)- 291
3. Wake Up- 473
4. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)- 857
5. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)- 1243
6. Keep the Car Running- 1556
7. No Cars Go- 1897
8. Ready to Start- 2052
9. Intervention- 2238

Now let's take Arcade Fire's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than them-

Joni Mitchell (currently 46)-

1. Blue- 48
2. Court and Spark- 159
3. Hejira- 497
4. The Hissing of Summer Lawns- 508
5. Ladies of the Canyon- 1190
6. For the Roses- 1372
7. Joni Mitchell/Song to a Seagull- BU
8. Clouds- BU
9. n/a

1. Help Me- 743
2. Free Man in Paris- 853
3. Big Yellow Taxi- 1049
4. A Case of You- 1074
5. You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio- 2950
6. Marcie- BU
7. Carie- BU
8. River- BU
9. The Last Time I Saw Richard- BU

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Arcade Fire will at least place at number 46 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure they'll have the power to beat the number 45 artist, Otis Redding, but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure they'll beat Joni Mitchell though. Now let's look at Daft Punk-

Daft Punk (currently 100)-

1. Homework- 297
2. Discovery- 307
3. Random Access Memories- 500
4. n/a
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Get Lucky- 50
2. One More Time- 243
3. Da Funk- 391
4. Digital Love- 605
5. Around the World- 750
6. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger- 1105
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

Now let's take Daft Punk's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than them-

The White Stripes (currently 76)-

1. Elephant- 99
2. White Blood Cells- 200
3. Get Behind Me Satan- 1552
4. Icky Thump- 2088
5. De Stijl- 2607
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Seven Nation Army- 70
2. Fell in Love With a Girl- 271
3. My Doorbell- 1659
4. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground- 2171
5. Icky Thump- 2346
6. Hotel Yorba- 2658
7. Blue Orchid- BU
8. n/a
9. n/a

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Daft Punk will at least place at number 76 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure they'll have the power to beat the number 75 artist, The Jam, but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure they'll beat The White Stripes though. Now let's look at Vampire Weekend-

Vampire Weekend (currently 301)-

1. Modern Vampires of the City- 300
2. Vampire Weekend- 372
3. Contra- 1071
4. n/a
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Diane Young- 900
2. A-Punk- 1003
3. Step- 1300
4. Ya Hey- 1700
5. Oxford Comma- 2251
6. Hannah Hunt- 2300
7. Giving Up the Gun- 2762
8. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa- 2857
9. n/a

Now let's take Vampire Weekend's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than them-

The Replacements (currently 142)-

1. Let It Be- 223
2. Tim- 488
3. Pleased to Meet Me- 962
4. Hootenanny- BU
5. All Shook Down- BU
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Bastards of Young- 915
2. I Will Dare- 986
3. Alex Chilton- 1484
3. Unsatisfied- 2222
4. Here Comes a Regular- BU
5. I'll Be You- BU
6. Merry Go Round- BU
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Vampire Weekend will at least place at number 142 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure they'll have the power to beat the number 141 artist, Janis Joplin/Big Brother and The Holding Company , but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure they'll beat The Replacements though.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Nick wrote:Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Kanye West will at least place at number 39 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure he'll have the power to beat the number 38 artist, Pixies, but it is possible.
Oh noooooo...! D:
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Interesting analysis, Nick. If your theories hold, that means Kanye still wouldn't beat Beastie Boys and Public Enemy (the only two hip-hop artists he trails) but he would be a couple of highly acclaimed albums and singles away from possibly overtaking them.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: HipHopDX
Rest of World: Sentire Ascoltare [Italy], MondoSonoro [Natl] [Spain], Rock De Lux [Intl/Natl] [Spain]
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Nick wrote:
Jonathon wrote:So does anyone a little more statistically inclined than me want to open up the floor for discussion about what the results will mean for artist ranking?
I'm not particularly statistically inclined, but here's my shot, with prospective rankings of new albums and songs included, and assuming all currently ranked albums and songs positions remain unchanged (unless otherwise noted). I'm also using the top 9 albums and songs per artist, as that's how Henrik calculates artist ranking.

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy- 150 (this album will probably rise a lot, so it's safe to assume a 150 placement for now)
2. Yeezus- 200
5. Graduation- 1115
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Jesus Walks- 457
2. Gold Digger- 491
4. Runaway- 532
5. Black Skinhead- 800
6. American Boy (split with Estelle)- 832
7. Power- 942
8. New Slaves- 1000
9. Monster (split with Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, and Bon Iver)- 1046

Now let's take Kanye's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than him-

Roxy Music (currently 39)-

1. For Your Pleasure- 105
2. Roxy Music- 204
3. Avalon- 515
4. Siren- 656
5. Stranded- 747
6. Country Life- 926
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Virginia Plain- 131
2. Love Is the Drug- 475
3. More Than This- 1165
4. Do the Strand- 1230
5. Pyjamarama- 2940
6. A Song for Europe- BU
7. In Every Dream Home a Heartache- BU
8. Mother of Pearl- BU
9. Dance Away- BU

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Kanye West will at least place at number 39 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure he'll have the power to beat the number 38 artist, Pixies, but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure he'll beat Roxy Music though. Now let's look at Arcade Fire-

Arcade Fire (currently 57)-

1. Funeral- 47
2. The Suburbs- 175
3. Reflektor- 400
4. Neon Bible- 484
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Reflektor- 250
2. Rebellion (Lies)- 291
3. Wake Up- 473
4. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)- 857
5. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)- 1243
6. Keep the Car Running- 1556
7. No Cars Go- 1897
8. Ready to Start- 2052
9. Intervention- 2238

Now let's take Arcade Fire's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than them-

Joni Mitchell (currently 46)-

1. Blue- 48
2. Court and Spark- 159
3. Hejira- 497
4. The Hissing of Summer Lawns- 508
5. Ladies of the Canyon- 1190
6. For the Roses- 1372
7. Joni Mitchell/Song to a Seagull- BU
8. Clouds- BU
9. n/a

1. Help Me- 743
2. Free Man in Paris- 853
3. Big Yellow Taxi- 1049
4. A Case of You- 1074
5. You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio- 2950
6. Marcie- BU
7. Carie- BU
8. River- BU
9. The Last Time I Saw Richard- BU

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Arcade Fire will at least place at number 46 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure they'll have the power to beat the number 45 artist, Otis Redding, but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure they'll beat Joni Mitchell though. Now let's look at Daft Punk-

Daft Punk (currently 100)-

1. Homework- 297
2. Discovery- 307
3. Random Access Memories- 500
4. n/a
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Get Lucky- 50
2. One More Time- 243
3. Da Funk- 391
4. Digital Love- 605
5. Around the World- 750
6. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger- 1105
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

Now let's take Daft Punk's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than them-

The White Stripes (currently 76)-

1. Elephant- 99
2. White Blood Cells- 200
3. Get Behind Me Satan- 1552
4. Icky Thump- 2088
5. De Stijl- 2607
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Seven Nation Army- 70
2. Fell in Love With a Girl- 271
3. My Doorbell- 1659
4. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground- 2171
5. Icky Thump- 2346
6. Hotel Yorba- 2658
7. Blue Orchid- BU
8. n/a
9. n/a

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Daft Punk will at least place at number 76 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure they'll have the power to beat the number 75 artist, The Jam, but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure they'll beat The White Stripes though. Now let's look at Vampire Weekend-

Vampire Weekend (currently 301)-

1. Modern Vampires of the City- 300
2. Vampire Weekend- 372
3. Contra- 1071
4. n/a
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Diane Young- 900
2. A-Punk- 1003
3. Step- 1300
4. Ya Hey- 1700
5. Oxford Comma- 2251
6. Hannah Hunt- 2300
7. Giving Up the Gun- 2762
8. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa- 2857
9. n/a

Now let's take Vampire Weekend's rankings and match them up with an artist significantly higher up than them-

The Replacements (currently 142)-

1. Let It Be- 223
2. Tim- 488
3. Pleased to Meet Me- 962
4. Hootenanny- BU
5. All Shook Down- BU
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

1. Bastards of Young- 915
2. I Will Dare- 986
3. Alex Chilton- 1484
3. Unsatisfied- 2222
4. Here Comes a Regular- BU
5. I'll Be You- BU
6. Merry Go Round- BU
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a

Matching these two artists up seems to suggest Vampire Weekend will at least place at number 142 on the all time artists list. I'm not so sure they'll have the power to beat the number 141 artist, Janis Joplin/Big Brother and The Holding Company , but it is possible. As of now I'm pretty sure they'll beat The Replacements though.

Beautiful...I have no right to ask you this, since you've already done such a great job...but any readings on Nick Cave, The National and My Bloody Valentine?
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Nick wrote:

2. Yeezus- 200
5. Graduation- 1115
8. n/a
9. n/a
I really think it's a shame that Yeezus could very well be ranked higher than his other two less heralded masterpieces, "The College Dropout" and "Late Registration."
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Mattceinicram wrote:
Nick wrote:

2. Yeezus- 200
5. Graduation- 1115
8. n/a
9. n/a
I really think it's a shame that Yeezus could very well be ranked higher than his other two less heralded masterpieces, "The College Dropout" and "Late Registration."
I disagree that it's a shame, as I almost prefer Yeezus to MBDTF. Obv I realise I'm in a minority though.

Edit: I think 808s is his most underrated album, at least on the Acclaimed Music ranking.

Edit: I think his most overrated is either Late Registration or Graduation, so that just proves that idk, opinions range.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

I've said this on another thread and I'll say it again: The College Dropout is, I think, overrated and Kanye's weakest album. It's still very good, but messy, overlong with too many skits, and relatively uncohesive compared to the unified statements that the rest of his albums are. I didn't become a Kanye fan until The Late Registration blew my mind a year later. So with that being said, Late Registration deserves to be higher. I would actually reverse the AM rankings of those two if I had it my way.

I don't mind Yeezus going toe to toe with Late Registration and College Dropout though.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Great job, NIck!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”