Songs where the first recording is not the acclaimed version

Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Songs where the first recording is not the acclaimed version

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

A significant amount of the list appearances of Belle and Sebastian's "I'm a Cuckoo" are actually for the Avalanches remix, which was released as part of the single in 2004 (the original had previously appeared on the Dear Catastrophe Waitress album released in 2003).
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
cregis
Start Me Up

Post by cregis »

Madzong wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:57 am Talk Talk - Pretty In Pink (album Version) Vs. Pretty In Pink (OST version)
I think you mean The Psychedelic Furs?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Gen X's "Dancing with Myself" was released in 1980, and a remixed version of the same recording was released in 1981 credited only to Billy Idol. But I'm not certain which version the critics are listing.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:30 pm Gen X's "Dancing with Myself" was released in 1980, and a remixed version of the same recording was released in 1981 credited only to Billy Idol. But I'm not certain which version the critics are listing.
There are also two different Billy Idol solo versions as well.

The original re-recorded version and a different remix for the USA market.

On this site this track is listed under Generation X but the Billy Idol USA remix is probably the best known version of this song (well the best performing in the charts anyway)
Last edited by Madzong on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Gil Scott-Heron - I'll Take Care of You (2010) v. Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX - I'll Take Care of U (2011).

The balance appears so stacked in the remix's favour that it's on AM with that title and release year. Take Care by Drake feat. Rihanna would seem to draw more influence from the later version as well for what that's worth.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

mileswide wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:33 pm Gil Scott-Heron - I'll Take Care of You (2010) v. Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX - I'll Take Care of U (2011).

The balance appears so stacked in the remix's favour that it's on AM with that title and release year. Take Care by Drake feat. Rihanna would seem to draw more influence from the later version as well for what that's worth.
Hmm, I have "New York Is Killing Me" as separate AM entries for the original and remix versions, with the original being #5350 and the remix bubbling under. Should these be merged? If not, I will not mention the original of "I'll Take Care of You" (which, in contrast, doesn't seem to have been listed on any critics' lists).

And if I merge the versions of these songs, should the albums "I'm New Here" and "We're New Here" be merged too? That doesn't make sense to me.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Madzong wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:10 pm
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:30 pm Gen X's "Dancing with Myself" was released in 1980, and a remixed version of the same recording was released in 1981 credited only to Billy Idol. But I'm not certain which version the critics are listing.

On this site this track is listed under Generation X but the Billy Idol USA remix is probably the best known version of this song (well the best performing in the charts anyway)
I think I will go with 1981 as the main release, as the re-recording seems to be the only version that has lived on. In fact, I think that Spotify has the wrong version for the Gen X album "Kiss Me Deadly" (released in january 1981, before the new version was recorded).

I think the original version is here:
https://www.facebook.com/decadeclub77/v ... 681649649/
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Henrik wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:24 am
Madzong wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:10 pm

I think I will go with 1981 as the main release, as the re-recording seems to be the only version that has lived on. In fact, I think that Spotify has the wrong version for the Gen X album "Kiss Me Deadly" (released in january 1981, before the new version was recorded).

I think the original version is here:
https://www.facebook.com/decadeclub77/v ... 681649649/
Maybe this song could be listed under Billy Idol as an artist because it’s only listed under Generation X. Billy Idol’s solo recording was more famous / well known / higher charting.

Either that or possibly combine Billy Idol with Generation X like the Big Brother/Janis Joplin page.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Is it worth mentioning when the 2 versions are from the same year ?
I was thinking of The Strokes - The Modern Age. Pitchfork 500 clearly mentioned the EP version but I'd assume the album one is that one usually considered.
Same thing for Last Nite, though I don't think any list mentioned the Modern Age EP version of it.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

There seem to be various acclaimed recordings of "You! Me! Dancing!" by Los Campesinos and "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You" by Black Kids, and I'm not certain if either has one definitive version.

And, of course, "Push the Feeling On" by Nightcrawlers is almost entirely known for the 1995 remix rather than the 1992 original.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Henrik wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:04 am Hmm, I have "New York Is Killing Me" as separate AM entries for the original and remix versions, with the original being #5350 and the remix bubbling under. Should these be merged? If not, I will not mention the original of "I'll Take Care of You" (which, in contrast, doesn't seem to have been listed on any critics' lists).

And if I merge the versions of these songs, should the albums "I'm New Here" and "We're New Here" be merged too? That doesn't make sense to me.
Strong point but when does a remix become a separate entry from its original? When the name changes?

And does the same hold true when a song is re-recorded under a different name? So, if say, Don't Rock My Boat and Satisfy My Soul by The Wailers/Bob Marley & the Wailers both qualified for AM, would they be different entries?

All the above from me is academic, mind you, as I approve of your idea of keeping I'll Take of U as the AM entry if the original had no critical traction.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan, how about Ofra Haza's "Im nin'alu"?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Buena Vista Social Club "Chan Chan" is an interesting case.

It was recorded originally in 1985 by Compay Segundo.

And it was Compay who performed it in Buena Vista, that worked as a collective but each artist brought their own repertoire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Chan_(song)
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

La Roux - In for the Kill [2009] v. In for the Kill (Skream's Let's Get Ravey Remix) [2010]
Tori Amos - Professional Widow [1996] v. Professional Widow (It's Got to Be Big) a.k.a. (Armand's Star Trunk Funkin' Mix ) [1996]

Now a couple of examples where the titles changed:
Aphex Twin - Aboriginal Mix [1991] was later released as Digeridoo [1992]. I have a feeling it was a simple re-release as opposed to a re-recording.
Wildchild - Legends of the Dark- Pt. 2 [1995], the original title for Renegade Master [1995], which became more popular thanks to the Fatboy Slim Old Skool Mix [1998].
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Months too late but the only two lists that explicitly refer to a year included in the accumulation for Delia's Gone by Johnny Cash peg it down to 1994, rather than the original 1962 recording.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

mileswide wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:08 pm Months too late but the only two lists that explicitly refer to a year included in the accumulation for Delia's Gone by Johnny Cash peg it down to 1994, rather than the original 1962 recording.
Great! Please add it to the error topic.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Here are some more.

The acclaimed version of "Sheila" by Tommy Roe is the big hit version from 1962, but he did the song first in 1960 on the Judd label. I like the Judd version better.

ORIGINAL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5w0Oi9e3TY
ACCLAIMED - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIDFZi-rjJs

Buddy Holly recorded "That'll Be The Day" earlier than the acclaimed hit version by the Crickets. The earlier version was not released until the hit version was out already.

ORIGINAL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LlUwu4bsMY
ACCLAIMED - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxCvGdyR1y0

The Platters recorded "Only You" first for Federal Records before they switched over to Mercury and had a big hit with acclaimed version in 1955. The Federal version was only released after the Mercury version started to become popular, but it was definitely recorded first.

ORIGINAL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzs2SNGtp8
ACCLAIMED - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkm17hn9IpE
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Henrik wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:54 pm Great! Please add it to the error topic.
Sorry, I've set a bad example, I'll shift it over to the errors.
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

When listening to the songs of 1957 was surprised that the Spotify mix picked the original "That'll Be The Day" instead of the rerecorded version that became Holly's first big hit. Less of an issue as both came out in '57 but the rerecorded version was the one that went gold, opened "Chirping Crickets," and ended up in the National Recording Registry.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Frank Sinatra - One for My Baby

1947 Columbia single
1954 Soundtrack Young at Heart
1958 Acclaimed version on Sings for Only the Lonely

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”