Game Theory's "Lolita Nation"

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Game Theory's "Lolita Nation"

Post by Listyguy »

In the spirit of the 80's poll, and the spirit of listening to great, underrated music, I would like to endorse a grossly unknown gem from 1987: Game Theory's Lolita Nation.
I've been trying to find it on Spotify, Groveshark, etc. for a while to no avail, but I finally found it in one piece on YouTube today. Here's the link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2e3-mLeC4

Considering how flaky YouTube is with taking down videos, I strongly recommend listening to it ASAP. It's definitely worth it.

Here's a taste of the album:
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Game Theory's "Lolita Nation"

Post by Harold »

Thanks for the recommendation. As I said in my post about GT frontman Scott Miller's recent untimely death at 53, it would be nice - if a shame, given the circumstances - if the band's catalog could get properly reissued.

Personal favorite Lolita Nation tracks, in the order of their appearance:
*Dripping With Looks
*Nothing New
*The Real Sheila
*Andy in Ten Years
*One More for St. Michael ("...tell 'em, Jim, tell 'em, Jim, TELL 'EM, JIM...")
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Harold wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. As I said in my post about GT frontman Scott Miller's recent untimely death at 53, it would be nice - if a shame, given the circumstances - if the band's catalog could get properly reissued.
I somehow missed that thread when it happened (although I had heard about Miller's death). That passage from his book you mentioned is very interesting (and incredible).
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

the Scott Miller (Loud Family) website is hosting free downloads of all the Game Theory records:
http://www.loudfamily.com/)

Donations are accepted for Scott's children's educational fund.

Lolita Nation is there. It's still awesome and will definitely be in the next Moderately Acclaimed competition.

Also check out 2 Steps..., Real Nighttime and Big Shot Chronicles.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Brad wrote:the Scott Miller (Loud Family) website is hosting free downloads of all the Game Theory records:
http://www.loudfamily.com/)

Donations are accepted for Scott's children's educational fund.

Lolita Nation is there. It's still awesome and will definitely be in the next Moderately Acclaimed competition.

Also check out 2 Steps..., Real Nighttime and Big Shot Chronicles.
Thanks for posting this! I'm definitely going to check out his other work.
Amoux
Are You Experienced?

Post by Amoux »

I've listened to some of the 'Lolita Nation' tracks and I can't say I share the same enthusiasm. There is something I find energy-sapping about the whole production. Donnette Thayer's vocals are a bit on the thin side, Scott Miller's vocals are not technically great but do a lot more to reach me. Also the band tred on similar ground of two artists which I absolutely loathe. Big Star and their forgettable power pop melodies and Elvis Costello.

It wasn't until I listened through the first-half of 'The Big Shot Chronicles' that I was amazed. The dreamy 'Where You Going Northern' is gorgeous. I've got the album on my mp3 player so I can give more of an opinion once I've got more acquainted with the songs.

But thanks for the recommendation. I still check out your RYM page by the way. I will definitely give these guys a fair listen. :)
lenyrock
Superunknown

Post by lenyrock »

Thanks for sharing it. 8-)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Amoux wrote:I've listened to some of the 'Lolita Nation' tracks and I can't say I share the same enthusiasm. There is something I find energy-sapping about the whole production. Donnette Thayer's vocals are a bit on the thin side, Scott Miller's vocals are not technically great but do a lot more to reach me. Also the band tred on similar ground of two artists which I absolutely loathe. Big Star and their forgettable power pop melodies and Elvis Costello.

It wasn't until I listened through the first-half of 'The Big Shot Chronicles' that I was amazed. The dreamy 'Where You Going Northern' is gorgeous. I've got the album on my mp3 player so I can give more of an opinion once I've got more acquainted with the songs.

But thanks for the recommendation. I still check out your RYM page by the way. I will definitely give these guys a fair listen. :)
I haven't listened to there other albums yet. It is certainly a priority though, because I was highly impressed by "Lolita Nation".
I also read your reviews, by the way. I hope mine are at least entertaining. :whistle:

By the way, I haven't been able to stop listening to "Mammoth Gardens" for two days now.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I just finished listening to "Big Shot Chronicles", and it's official:
I LOVE GAME THEORY!
Amoux
Are You Experienced?

Post by Amoux »

:D

I listened to the second-half which was slightly disappointing in comparison to the first half but I love the closing track "Like A Girl Jesus". "Erica's Word" is apparently the closest the band ever got to a "hit". "Regenisraen" just like "Where You Going Northern" are just beautifully dreamy.

Pretty good. I give it a 4/5 overall.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Amoux wrote::D

I listened to the second-half which was slightly disappointing in comparison to the first half but I love the closing track "Like A Girl Jesus". "Erica's Word" is apparently the closest the band ever got to a "hit". "Regenisraen" just like "Where You Going Northern" are just beautifully dreamy.

Pretty good. I give it a 4/5 overall.
Yeah the first half was amazing. The second half isn't that hot, but it does have "Like a Girl Jesus", which is pretty good.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”