AMF Survivor, Season 1, Best Albums of the 2010s, Episode 13!

Please vote for your LEAST FAVORITE ALBUM!

Poll ended at Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Arcade Fire-The Suburbs
54%
David Bowie-★ [Blackstar]
46%

Total votes: 24

Holden
Never Going Back Again

AMF Survivor, Season 1, Best Albums of the 2010s, Episode 13!

Post by Holden »

Last time, Let England Shake was narrowly eliminated over The Suburbs! Today starts the final episode of AMF Survivor. Your two remaining albums are below.
1. Arcade Fire-The Suburbs (178)
2. David Bowie-★ [Blackstar] (179)
Please vote for your LEAST FAVORITE of these two albums above
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: AMF Survivor, Season 1, Best Albums of the 2010s, Episode 13!

Post by prosecutorgodot »

What I learned from this is that hip-hop (still) has a bad rap 'round here.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm What I learned from this is that hip-hop (still) has a bad rap 'round here.
I like hip-hop - just not those particular artists and those particular albums...
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

madzong wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 am
prosecutorgodot wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm What I learned from this is that hip-hop (still) has a bad rap 'round here.
I like hip-hop - just not those particular artists and those particular albums...
Oh? What/who do you like?
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 am
I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in my hip-hop tastes. My favourite hip-hop artists are (in no particular order): Public Enemy, Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, Jungle Brothers, Slick Rick, Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy, The Pharcyde, Outkast, Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modeling Club, Dr Octagon, Salt-N-Pepa, DJ Shadow, De La Soul, Arrested Development, Queen Latifah, N.E.R.D., Pete Rock & C L Smooth, The Fugees, Boogie Down Productions, LL Cool J, A Tribe Called Quest, Common, Mos Def, Eric B & Rakim, Black Starr, The Roots, M.I.A., Tricky, and Gnarles Barkley.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I love Kendrick Lamar and hate Kanye West. Hip hop has a lot of fans here, it’s just more divisive.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I think the results would have been different if you could have voted against several albums each week.

But thanks for a great game, Holden!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Thank you, Henrik!

Also, this is MUCH more close than I thought it would be; I had anticipated Blackstar being the favorite by a long shot.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

madzong wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:48 am

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in my hip-hop tastes. My favourite hip-hop artists are (in no particular order): Public Enemy, Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, Jungle Brothers, Slick Rick, Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy, The Pharcyde, Outkast, Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modeling Club, Dr Octagon, Salt-N-Pepa, DJ Shadow, De La Soul, Arrested Development, Queen Latifah, N.E.R.D., Pete Rock & C L Smooth, The Fugees, Boogie Down Productions, LL Cool J, A Tribe Called Quest, Common, Mos Def, Eric B & Rakim, Black Starr, The Roots, M.I.A., Tricky, and Gnarles Barkley.
Well, my question was geared toward contemporary artists, so in a way my point still stands.
Like what I mean is that, ok so you like these artists, but you don't listen to anything new anymore? Like not even Joey Badass or Logic? That to me sounds like you have a deeper issue with the scene, and so my point still stands.
In a way, even "G-Eazy" or "Hopsin" would have been a better answer.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 pm

Well, my question was geared toward contemporary artists, so in a way my point still stands.
Like what I mean is that, ok so you like these artists, but you don't listen to anything new anymore? Like not even Joey Badass or Logic? That to me sounds like you have a deeper issue with the scene, and so my point still stands.

Meh - I know what I like.

Sorry - never heard of G-Eazy or Hopsin.

Don't have an issue with the scene - that's a bit of a broad statement / judgement call

Bar a few tracks - I'm just not a fan of Kanye or Kendrik.

Your point was 'What I learned from this is that hip-hop (still) has a bad rap 'round here' but O do like hip-hop just not those particular artists or those particular albums

BTW - you asked what I liked...so I told you what I liked.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

madzong wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:40 am
prosecutorgodot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 pm

Meh - I know what I like.

Sorry - never heard of G-Eazy or Hopsin.

Don't have an issue with the scene - that's a bit of a broad statement / judgement call

Bar a few tracks - I'm just not a fan of Kanye or Kendrik.

Your point was 'What I learned from this is that hip-hop (still) has a bad rap 'round here' but O do like hip-hop just not those particular artists or those particular albums

BTW - you asked what I liked...so I told you what I liked.
If I got it wrong about your perspective on the scene, please prove me wrong.
I have no issue with you personally, madzong. You can listen to whatever music you want.
Maybe my comment is not directed at you, so don't take it personally.
But I can also elaborate that there is a sense of monoculture in the contemporary hip-hop realm 'round here, probably mainly due to nonexploration.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:58 am If I got it wrong about your perspective on the scene, please prove me wrong.
I have no issue with you personally, madzong. You can listen to whatever music you want.
But I can also elaborate that there is a sense of monoculture in the contemporary hip-hop realm 'round here, probably mainly due to nonexploration.
I really probably shouldn't butt in here, but I feel as though your assessment of the forum in this specific thread is somewhat weak. While the rap albums lost this game, I feel as though there is definitely evidence that these specific albums are beloved by forum members.
MBDTF won its EOY poll and the 2010-2014 poll, and is currently doing very well in the EOD poll
TPAB won its EOY poll and is currently doing very well in the EOD poll
Channel Orange won its EOY poll and is currently doing very well in the EOD poll
GKMC and DAMN. both got top three in their EOY polls
RTJ2 did very well in its EOY poll
Additionally, each of these albums above are ranked very highly in the previous All-Time poll. While maybe I'll agree that there is a tendency away from modern hip-hop within the forum, these albums certainly don't demonstrate it in the forum as a whole. And, remember, this game is one of the best of the best, and through my interpretation, as someone who has tallied up the results each week, it seems as though the game was not really targeting these albums, more so eliminating the albums that may not be as well liked by everybody and narrowing it down to albums that have a much higher amount of overall enjoyment.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Holden wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:16 am
prosecutorgodot wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:58 am If I got it wrong about your perspective on the scene, please prove me wrong.
I really probably shouldn't butt in here, but I feel as though your assessment of the forum in this specific thread is somewhat weak. While the rap albums lost this game, I feel as though there is definitely evidence that these specific albums are beloved by forum members.
MBDTF won its EOY poll and the 2010-2014 poll, and is currently doing very well in the EOD poll
TPAB won its EOY poll and is currently doing very well in the EOD poll
Channel Orange won its EOY poll and is currently doing very well in the EOD poll
GKMC and DAMN. both got top three in their EOY polls
RTJ2 did very well in its EOY poll
Additionally, each of these albums above are ranked very highly in the previous All-Time poll. While maybe I'll agree that there is a tendency away from modern hip-hop within the forum, these albums certainly don't demonstrate it in the forum as a whole. And, remember, this game is one of the best of the best, and through my interpretation, as someone who has tallied up the results each week, it seems as though the game was not really targeting these albums, more so eliminating the albums that may not be as well liked by everybody and narrowing it down to albums that have a much higher amount of overall enjoyment.
It is exactly based on your points that I can draw a conclusion - there are people that really don't like hip-hop, otherwise they would not have been five of the first six eliminations. So there are people that really like them, that's not surprising, but they were the first ones eliminated, proving that there are people that dislike them. Even if it is not dislike (which to me is more likely than not), there is still a weird preference there that really puts me off.
Of course, people can have their preferences, but again, when it is five of the first six eliminations, there is a pattern that cannot be ignored, and there is a skew there that is not random. Yeah yeah history etc etc, but i feel like we were fifty years into hip-hop history now as well, so this skew should not even be ascribed to that.
Everyone is entitled to their preference, but I implore a bit more exploration to find what everyone likes. The new R.A.P. Ferreira album is very good, and is a good place to start, for example. I have my own blind spots in metal and non-Anglo music, but I am working on those, and I implore others to work on their own blind spots.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”