Anna Karina Dead at 79

Brad
Higher Ground

Anna Karina Dead at 79

Post by Brad »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/d ... the-screen

Best known as an actress of course (my all-time favorite), but she had a sweet voice as well...
Loved her.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Anna Karina Dead at 79

Post by Rob »

She indeed had a good voice, but like Brad I'm mostly fond of her as an actress. I mostly know her for her roles in the films by Jean-Luc Godard. These are all very worthwhile, but in Vivre Sa Vie especially she is amazing. Godard was apparently so besotted with her at the time that it inspired him to write a real human being for her to play; pretty much the first and last time he didn't just write a person as a concept.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I didn't see this thread until now, and i'm not too familiar with her music, but I loved her role as Marianne in Pierrot le Fou, which is one of my favorite films of all time. She will be missed.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:02 pm I didn't see this thread until now, and i'm not too familiar with her music, but I loved her role as Marianne in Pierrot le Fou, which is one of my favorite films of all time. She will be missed.
Yes, Pierrot was my first Godard experience & got me hooked on Karina - excellent film, brilliant finale. Also agree with Rob about Vivre Sa Vie - Godard certainly knew how to capture her essence. I think all his films with her are pretty great in different ways - seemed like the perfect celluloid match for the era. I love how they always turn unexpectedly, blending genres in unorthodox ways; all so different but, in retrospect, all very Godardian.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”