The 2010s

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

The 2010s

Post by Cold Butterfly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:16 am

So yeah, the end of decade is coming to a close as you all know. I was just thinking about the 2010s in general, and i’m not talking about your favorite records of the decade, or whether you think Channel Orange or Blonde was Frank Ocean’s best album. I’m talking about the huge political and cultural shifts of the decade.

I’ll probably do a terrible job of explaining this, but i’ll try to keep it simple - the 2010s were startling when it came to it’s cultural shifts. Let’s start with politics for example. In the decade’s second half, we saw the chaotic rise of Trump - which wound end being disastrous and appalling to say the least.

While everyone is entitled to their own political opinions, let’s be real on Trump for a second. This was a man who bragged about sexually assaulting women on tape (ironically while stereotyping Mexicans as sexual deviants) and a man who is ruthless and egocentric. I don’t know how the hell he became the President Of The United States, because the election of a man like this would’ve been better suited to the pre-Civil War era. All I know is that his impact has been monstrous, and has shown to be consequential.

Once Trump was President, he pursued anti-immigration policies that were basically xenophobic, with no basis to why he had to chase such an evil way to express his immigration stance. What was the justification for mass deportations without basis and separating babies from their families? I don’t know what gave him a right to do so. It just goes to show how clueless of a human being he is, but shit, he’s the leader of the most powerful country on Earth. Except that throughout his presidency, he’s abused that power and privilege, as evidence by the Ukraine scandal (and the forthcoming impeachment articles which will be brought before the United States House Of Representatives as soon as Christmas).

Ever since Trump’s campaign started, tension in America has reached a boiling point - it’s now clear more than ever that there’s a cultural divide. And he bears a lot of the blame for it. From blaming “both sides” for the violence that erupted in the Charlottesville protests in 2017 (okay, no one asked for a bunch of neo-nazis to take over a college) to denying the dangers of climate change on this planet, it’s become pretty clear that this man is an ignoramus, and someone who doesn’t give a damn about the state of America.

And well, the state of America in the 2010s hasn’t been too well, as you probably heard. You’d think that the start of the healing process from the Bush-era would’ve begun after the inauguration of Obama, the nation’s first African-American president (in a country which has a history of many atrocities against African-Americans). But no, with events such as rising police brutality against African-Americans, as well as the “white power” movement making a rise as well, it became clear that America still had (and to this day still has!) a long way to go before being a land where truly everyone could be created equal.

Now, i just said that I didn’t know how the hell Donald Trump became president. He’s not the only staunch conservative who has risen in power and swept his nation with a fearlessness that led to chaos - just look at Boris Johnson in Britain - another leader who has created catastrophe among the people he rules. Just like Trump, Johnson is a man who cannot be defined without the many racist and sexist remarks he’s made in the past. And not to mention that his continuing insistence on pulling the United Kingdom out of the European Union has caused a strain in that country, creating a cultural divide which parallels America at the moment.

Now you’re probably wondering why i’m ranting about politics and the rise of both leaders - it’s because both Trump and Johnson played a big role in shaping the 2010s as a whole, and negatively so. Neither the United States or United Kingdom will ever be the same after either of these people step down from their role, and that’s really sad in my opinion. In the case of America, there is no doubt that once the Trump era ends (whether it ends in 2021 or 2025), that we will still have to deal with the disastrous consequences of his presidency.

Politics aside, i’m gonna have to shout out the Radiohead fans real quick, because OK Computer seems extremely prophetic now. We live in a world where social media and technology controls us more than ever, and it’s pretty easy to tell, whether you’re walking on the street, or going to the next bus and seeing everyone looking down on their phones. Now i’m not trying to sound like one of those people who think iPhones are the worst thing to ever happen to society. The thing is, the advancements in technology that have been made this decade can still be used to create so much good and benefit in this world, but it seems that many people have fallen to technology’s negative aspects, missing the huge potential of the positives events such as the integration of social media into everyday life can bring. In this age, we’ve really become chained to technological advances, taking it for granted and becoming pawns in chess in the process. I mean shit, the President Of The United States spits out his bullshit rhetoric on Twitter each day, if you’ve heard of course.

When it comes to social media - we now live in a world where everyone feels like they need to be part of a specific moment or event, rather than being themselves. While that urge has always existed throughout the history of the World, it’s reached another high this decade, and will continue to do so in the future. Now, I’m not trying to sound like some angry boomer right now, because I honestly love social media when it’s used in a beneficial way. But in the 2010s, being a part of a specific trend, even if it meant being as pretentious as possible, became all too important among many. The FOMO is so clear among these people that it hurts.

With these just being some of many examples, it’s pretty clear that the 2010s are going to end up as a heavily consequential decade, as i’ve said already. The uncertainty that looms upon the next decade is evident, and only one can hope that this life during wartime will end soon with us finding peace.

*Sorry if this essay seems a little odd - I was just thinking about the decade in general and felt like I should share my thoughts about the many changes which occurred throughout. This is strictly opinion.
Last edited by Cold Butterfly on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: The 2010s

Post by Jirin » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:04 pm

I absolutely agree that the cultural shifts are driven by social media. It's created a micro-targeting echo chamber where everybody is given a constant stream of misinformation that they believe because it matches their pre-existing biases.

It's led to a toxic political situation, helped by America's winner take all system where the party that gets just slightly more than half of the power has ALL the power, and everybody is constantly bombarded with self-validating manipulation to remove all empathy for the other side. It's why so many people have been convinced that anybody suggesting they should show basic respect for all people is a 'VIRTUE SIGNALING POLITICALLY CORRECT SJW WHO IS THE REAL RACIST!'

That's how they were actually convinced that a racist philandering megalomaniac who inherited billions of dollars and lost most of it was a brilliant businessman gallantly fighting back against political correctness.

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Jirin wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:04 pm
I absolutely agree that the cultural shifts are driven by social media. It's created a micro-targeting echo chamber where everybody is given a constant stream of misinformation that they believe because it matches their pre-existing biases.

It's led to a toxic political situation, helped by America's winner take all system where the party that gets just slightly more than half of the power has ALL the power, and everybody is constantly bombarded with self-validating manipulation to remove all empathy for the other side. It's why so many people have been convinced that anybody suggesting they should show basic respect for all people is a 'VIRTUE SIGNALING POLITICALLY CORRECT SJW WHO IS THE REAL RACIST!'

That's how they were actually convinced that a racist philandering megalomaniac who inherited billions of dollars and lost most of it was a brilliant businessman gallantly fighting back against political correctness.
Tell me about it. If you look at Trump’s rise, i don’t think there’s any doubt that social media definitely played a huge role behind it. While social media plays a big role in any candidate’s clout, Trump utilized it to spread the chaos and destruction he created. You’re right in that people mistook his ignorance for “honesty” and “realness” in the process. I also have to agree with how crazy it is that under Trump, misinformation has turned to fact in many cases, with the man himself promoting it. Here’s a man who blatantly disregards truth, which has led to so much unnecessary damage. And yeah, i’m pretty sure every conservative thinks you’re a communist if you’re not with Trump :whistle:

PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by PlasticRam » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Jirin wrote:
Well this is just wrong. He inherited like 300 million and he's worth like 3 billion.

Edit: I still am kinda supportive of what you and Cold Butterfly wrote though. I don't wanna get into an argument again.
I feel like that

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:46 pm

PlasticRam wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:35 pm
Jirin wrote:
Well this is just wrong. He inherited like 300 million and he's worth like 3 billion.

Edit: I still am kinda supportive of what you and Cold Butterfly wrote though. I don't wanna get into an argument again.
In all fairness, he did lose about $1.7 billion over a ten-year stretch from 1985 to 1994 ;) but hey, if he got it back then it’s whatever.