Biggest Fan Songs - May 2019

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Biggest Fan - May 2019

Post by Rob »

The Libertines - Up The Bracket: 8

I echo the positive comments about this song here. Very energetic. If I knew it any better by the time of compiling the top 1000 it might have made my own list.

Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

124. Breakout - Co Stało Się Kwiatom? 7.5
125. Little Richard – Kansas City (the version with a medley with Hey Hey Hey Hey) 7.5
126. The Rolling Stones – Child of the Moon 7.5
127. Tom Waits – Johnsburg, Illinois 4
128. The Libertines – Up the Bracket 9 (Just missed my list)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

For the second day in a row we get a song I would have thought had more than one vote and is also on AM, at #2761. It also has in common with Up the Bracket that the song has the same title as the album.

129. Traffic – The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Year: 1971
Album: The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Biggest Fan: Fasbjd (#701)

Don’t forget you can always vote for earlier songs or change your vote!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Traffic – The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys: 5.5
I feel like that
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

129. Traffic – The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys 8
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

129. Traffic – The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - 9

I don't listen to Traffic nearly enough.

This song offers so much that it's 11:41 runtime almost feels too short. I especially like the congas + additional percussion throughout the song, the choruses that really 'pop out', and the instrumental section in the second half of the song with a nice organ/bass/drum floor upon wich the sax and piano really shine.

Steve Winwood is just such a genius.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

So uh, this one needs a bit of explanation. There are 12 songs in my list credited as “Traditional”, all chosen by Prosecutorgodot. So, basically he took a very old song, or traditional, for his list without citing a specific recording of it. To be clear: these are songs older than recording techniques. I’m not sure which one we are voting for now – an accumulation of all versions? The song in a general sense? I added one to the playlist that Spotify actually credits as traditional, but I think you have to decide for yourself how you vote for this.

130. “Traditional” – Yankee Doodle
Year: Tune from Medieval times, but words probably from the 18th Century.
Released on countless albums and none at all
Biggest Fan: Prosecutorgodot (#963)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

“Traditional” – Yankee Doodle: 4
I feel like that
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

130. “Traditional” – Yankee Doodle - 4

It's hard to rate such a work, especially if you don't rate the performance.
My previous knowledge of the tune is through a 10+ years old Dutch flash game called 'Politiekspel', with lyrics about our then PM Balkenende.
As far as the tune itself goes: It's simple, it repeats but it flows well. I give it a 4 with neither a reason to give it a really bad score nor a reason to put it near the stuff I'd consider listening to again.

122. Ed Harcourt – Until Tomorrow Then - 3

On the surface this felt like a song I should at least somewhat like. But besides the short trumpet segments, there's nothing here that attracts me to it. I'm not a fan of the lead vocals. The background vocals feel out of place, same with the piano. The drums are fine, but can't carry the song on their own. And the worst part is the very busy organ (Apparently an Optigan) in the background. I wouldn't have minded some more trumpet and and trombone or a tuba, or maybe harmony strings of some kind. Although I mainly think that the vocals and organ just aren't for me.

For as far as it's true that there's a song you like in every genre, the contrary is probably be true too; for every genre you like, there's a song you dislike. I'm rating this one as a 3/10 with and apology for Fred's high (145th) pick, Sorry.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

“Traditional” – Yankee Doodle
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Traffic - The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys: 8
I'm with Bob Patience here: I need to hear some more Traffic. This is such a compelling composition, that doesn't bore a minute. Music like this has become unfashionable and I think because of this Steve Winwood is becoming somewhat a forgotten figure, something he doesn't deserve.

“Traditional” – Yankee Doodle: 6
I really don't know that well how to rate it. I have two associations with this. Like BobPatience one is very Dutch, but not related to Politiekspel which I don't remember. No, when I was a little kid this tune was used for a commercial for some sort of drawing set for kids. So when I hear this I always here lyrics in my head set around painting and drawing. The other association is the American military. Just look at those Spotify tracks for Yankee Doodle: many come from U.S. army related albums. So my mind produces an unholy hybrid between kids commercials and Uncle Sam. Though to beat that. This is actually a correct way of viewing this, because most versions I can find are military marches or baby lullabies. I like the first kind - at least it gives the tune some sense of glory. The second kind makes the tune obnoxious. What to do? It just makes me think that songs simply named "traditional" should never have been allowed in the original poll. But here we are. The 6 is really something of a compromise vote.
unequelyus
Debut

Post by unequelyus »

I like When We Oooo by Janet Jackson
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Like yesterday, there is something odd with today’s nomination. The song on my worksheet is credited to Allie Wrebel and Ray Gilbert, the composer and lyricist respectively, but not the original performer, James Baskett. This is however how the song was originally released and credited, for reasons I suspect might be racist. Anyway, I guess that the version sung by Baskett is the one meant by Prosecutorgodot.

131. Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett – Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah
Year: 1946
Released as a single
Biggest Fan: Prosecutorgodot (#813)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett – Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah: 6
I feel like that
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

131. Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett – Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah - 1

I really, really, really dislike Disney songs. Though 1 and not 0 because it's still actual music.
The crediting might also be due to Disney not really crediting voice actors in the early days (although they did generally better by the late 40s). James is actually credited as voice actor on the original movie poster though.

121. Gillian Welch – Elvis Presley Blues - 6

It's fine. A little long. A little slow. A little sparse. But not bad.

120. Dwa Plus Jeden - Nowy Wspaniały Świat - 8

Great harmony vocals all throughout the song. Great rythm section, interesting guitar work and different types of keys. And even room for an instrumental section. And all within 3 minutes.
That said, there's nothing here that makes this song extra special for me so it'll stay at an 8 and I don't see this song climbing.
I'd really hope there'll someday be a properly mixed version on Spotify one day, as all version I found have pretty bad quality imo.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett – Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett – Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah: 5

I do like Disney songs, but this one a little less. It's a little too childish and chipper for my taste.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Winwood is great and this song is solid. Compared to other songs by Winwood, this song is a bit long for me and I prefer long songs with more transitions to keep them from becoming repetitive.
Last edited by Henry on Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Not my cup of tea. 5/10

130. “Traditional” – Yankee Doodle
HArd to give a notation to this song. ?/10

131. Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett – Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah
The song is charming. I didn't even know that this movie existed. 6.5/10
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

132. Kebnekajse - Förberedelser till fest
Year: 1971
Album: Resa mot okänt mål
Biggest Fan: Fred (#793)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Kebnekajse - Förberedelser till fest: 8

Good discovery.
I feel like that
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

Kebnekajse - Förberedelser till fest - 9

With instrumental pieces I can easily get distracted over the lack of vocals, subconciously thinking 'less' of them. For this tune I got over that very quickly. There's a lot going on, but it still feels like one coherent piece. My favourite part starts at 0:00 and ends at about 3:37. Who knows, maybe this'll one day end up being my #1 instrumental piece. Solid 9, with room to grow on me. As an afterthought: The intro reminds me a lot of Dylan's Hurricane.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

PlasticRam wrote:Kebnekajse - Förberedelser till fest: 8

Good discovery.
Yes, it's perfect when you need to clear people out of a room. Just blast this piece real loud and the room will empty out immediately!

BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

Hymie wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:Kebnekajse - Förberedelser till fest: 8

Good discovery.
Yes, it's perfect when you need to clear people out of a room. Just blast this piece real loud and the room will empty out immediately!

I don't think that we should use this topic to insult other people's music choices. It's fair to give your own opinion about it, but this is basically telling someone that they can't like a piece of music as a response to them having a positive reaction to the piece.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Kebnekajse - Förberedelser till fest: 7

Reminds me of those surf instrumentals from the early sixties, but this one is much more expansive in composition. It's rare that I don't like things like this and it might grow on me even more once I get the hang of the composition.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Tom Waits | Johnsburg, Illinois | 9
2. The Rolling Stones | Child of the Moon | 9
3. Traffic | The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys | 7
4. Bill Murray and Haydn Quartet | Yankee Doodle |7
5. The Libertines | Up the Bracket | 7
6. Kebnekajse | Förberedelser till fest | 6
7. Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett | Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah | 3

Only as information: not the "original versions" (the song was first published in 1768) but the first recordings of "Yankee Doodle" (after a quick search on the Internet) could be:
- Vess L. Osman, solo banjo (1894)
- George Gaskin, first vocal version? (1897)
Other early popular recordings:
- Walter B. Rogers, cornet solo (1904)
- Bill Murray and Haydn Quartet, vocal with orchestra (1910)

Sources:
- Steve Sullivan's Encyclopedia of Great Popular Song Recordings, Volumen 3, see here.
- Library of Congress, see here.
- American Historical Recordings, see here.

Rob, of course it's up to you but maybe you could replace the song on the Spotify playlist by the Bill Murray one, it's the one with better sound quality among the early recordings.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Honorio wrote: Rob, of course it's up to you but maybe you could replace the song on the Spotify playlist by the Bill Murray one, it's the one with better sound quality among the early recordings.
I have, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference. All this info only proves that Yankee Doodle has been used and performed in countless ways. Compare this to classical music, which also has endless variations and interpretations, but has at least a more clear sense of what is the right way to perform it. In the case of Yankee Doodle, Prosecutorgodot's favorite might as well be an Ibiza dance track from 2018. That's what makes "Traditional" such an unhelpful term in this game, although Yankee Doodle is an extreme case, as most other traditionals have more of an accepted general form than this one.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

We haven’t had a Hymie in while, have we?

133. The Clovers – Fool, Fool, Fool
Year: 1951
Released as a single
Biggest Fan: Hymie (#462)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

The Clovers – Fool, Fool, Fool: 6
I feel like that
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

133. The Clovers – Fool, Fool, Fool - 6

The instrumentation is good, the vocal harmony is nice, but the overall feel of the song is just too 'low' for me. I also feel like I've already heard what I'd want out of the song halfway throughout it, which I don't think is good for just a 2,5min song. So I'll rate it a fine 6, it's certainly not bad, but it leaves some to be desired.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

If you have a few minutes, you can watch Morrissey, George Michael, and DJ Tony Blackburn review a Clovers album (accompanied by a clip of today's Biggest Fan selection), amongst other reissues.

21:27 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L6wHvnoPtE&t=1322s
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The Clovers – Fool, Fool, Fool
I'd give it a 5. Not bad, but not that exciting.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Live in Phoenix wrote:If you have a few minutes, you can watch Morrissey, George Michael, and DJ Tony Blackburn review a Clovers album (accompanied by a clip of today's Biggest Fan selection), amongst other reissues.

21:27 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L6wHvnoPtE&t=1322s
"You need good songs and The Clovers clearly didn't have any."
Don't let Hymie see this.

But I'm not a fan of this. Like others said, it is well done. Impeccably performed, but like a lot of doo wop it just doesn't get to me.
I give it a 4.
Last edited by Rob on Fri May 17, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:We haven’t had a Hymie in while, have we?

133. The Clovers – Fool, Fool, Fool
Year: 1951
Released as a single
Biggest Fan: Hymie (#462)
A very high 9.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

126. The Rolling Stones – Child of the Moon 9.5
127. Tom Waits – Johnsburg, Illinois 6
128. The Libertines – Up the Bracket 8.75 (#1636 all-time)
129. Traffic – The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys 8.5 (#3018 all-time)
130. “Traditional” – Yankee Doodle 4
131. Allie Wrebel & Ray Gilbert (writers), performed by James Baskett – Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah 5.5
132. Kebnekajse - Förberedelser till fest 7.75
133. The Clovers – Fool, Fool, Fool 6

Thanks!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:"You need good songs and The Clovers clearly didn't have any."
The Clovers were the most popular R&B vocal group for the first half of the 1950s. "Fool, Fool, Fool" was number one for 6 weeks and was in the top 15 for 22 weeks. They had FIFTEEN top 10 R&B chart hits in the first 5 years of the 50s, with 9 of those going top 5.

I don't expect most of you to appreciate this kind of music as it is so far removed from what you guys like best. Here's the boys doing this song live:
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Hymie wrote:
Rob wrote:"You need good songs and The Clovers clearly didn't have any."
The Clovers were the most popular R&B vocal group for the first half of the 1950s. "Fool, Fool, Fool" was number one for 6 weeks and was in the top 15 for 22 weeks. They had FIFTEEN top 10 R&B chart hits in the first 5 years of the 50s, with 9 of those going top 5.
For the record, that quote came from the video above, from George Michael to be precise. Part of the clip you post is in that exact same video.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I like the title of the next song:

134. Annette Peacock – Love’s Out to Lunch
Year: 1979
Album: The Perfect Release
Biggest Fan: Fred (#643)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Annette Peacock – Love’s Out to Lunch: 5.5
I feel like that
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Rob wrote:For the record, that quote came from the video above, from George Michael to be precise.
Yes, I know.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Annette Peacock – Love’s Out to Lunch
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Annette Peacock – Love’s Out to Lunch: 4

I don't want to be the one who once again describes a female artist as inspired by Joni Mitchell, but here we are. This is one of the most Joni Mitchell songs I ever heard, with Peacock copying those specific vocal inflections Mitchell pioneered in the second half of the seventies. The semi-jazz style doesn't help either. The problem is that it sounds like a poor copy of Mitchell. The vocals aren't bad at all, but the production is muddled and unappealing and the lyrics don't captivate.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Rob wrote:In the case of Yankee Doodle, Prosecutorgodot's favorite might as well be an Ibiza dance track from 2018.
Yes! I found it! Listen to it here!. Jokes aside, you're right, Rob. But the Bill Murray version is the one that sound more "traditional."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Just so no one's confused, the Bill (or Billy) Murray being referred to was a very popular turn-of-the-century singer. Try your best not to think of the singer below.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Another good title:

135. Childbirth – Siri, Open Tinder
Year: 2015
Album: Women’s Rights
Biggest Fan: Nassim (#877)

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Childbirth – Siri, Open Tinder: 6
I feel like that
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

134. Annette Peacock – Love’s Out to Lunch - 7,5 (trying not to do half grades, but I really am on the edge about this one)

Way to short. This could've gone for at least half of the Traffic song earlier from last weekend as far as I am concerned. Gotta agree with Rob on the Joni Mitchell part. And it certainly isn't as polished as, for example, Steely Dan. But I still really like it, the music's got a lot of personality. The intro that sounds great, but that doesn't really fit in with the rest of the song. The weird guitar plucks. A pletora of instruments seemingly trying to 'solo' over eachother while vocals are present. Stuff like this is why I really dig this game.

135. Childbirth – Siri, Open Tinder - 2

This song doesn't excite me at all; it all just seems very bland. I also don't generally care for lyrics, but why make a song about Tinder if you're 'swiping left' on everyone (except the 'married couple') anyway? I especially have no idea what (swiping left on) Tinder has to do with women's rights.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

BobPatience wrote: 135. Childbirth – Siri, Open Tinder - 2

This song doesn't excite me at all; it all just seems very bland. I also don't generally care for lyrics, but why make a song about Tinder if you're 'swiping left' on everyone (except the 'married couple') anyway? I especially have no idea what (swiping left on) Tinder has to do with women's rights.
I think you miss the humor here: the lyrics here are sort of joke. The song is stylistically identical to the riot grrrl sound of the early nineties, but with the Tinder subject it gets updated to 2015. It isn't about Women's Rights per se (I'm also not sure if you should see the album title as a statement for every track), but like a lot of riot grrrl songs it deals in emasculation. The singer here
mocks the various ways the man pose themselves as desirable on Tinder. Besides all this, I think people in general swipe left more than right. Why the married couple then? Well, there is a woman there, plus it is not heteronormative (as well as funny). Yes, this is a very political genre.

I like riot grrrl in general, but this is not one of the sharpest or musically most inspiring of them. Still, it is fun and it short length assures that the jokes doesn't go on for too long.
My vote: 6.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Childbirth – Siri, Open Tinder
Good basic arrangement, but the singer is shite.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”