Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.8

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.8

Post by Brad »

Welcome to the round 1.8 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = May 21st at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tlist.cfm?t ... Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019

Match-ups:
1. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg vs. The Smiths - Meat is Murder
2. Sting - ...Nothing Like the Sun vs. The Millennium - Begin
3. Mahmoud Ahmed - Era Mela Mela vs. Prince - "Love Symbol Album"
4. Popcaan - Where We Come From vs. Benjamin Britten - War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra]

Whatever will be, will be
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Re: Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.8

Post by Rdwdbob »

THE SMITHS - MEAT IS MURDER
STING - ...NOTHING LIKE THE SUN
PRINCE - 'LOVE SYMBOL ALBUM'
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 2019 - Round 1.8

Post by PlasticRam »

1. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg vs. The Smiths - Meat is Murder
4. Popcaan - Where We Come From vs. Benjamin Britten - War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra]
I feel like that
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I noticed that Erè mèla mèla was only available on Spotify in a special edition of the Ethiopiques series. Although this contains all the songs of the original recording, they are reshuffled and four other songs are added to mix. Since this version more widely available it might be what the original nominator had in mind, but I made a playlist with the tracks in original order and the bonus tracks removed:
Last edited by Rob on Wed May 15, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

The Smiths - Meat is Murder
The Millennium - Begin
Mahmoud Ahmed - Era Mela Mela
Benjamin Britten - War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra]
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg
Sting - ...Nothing Like the Sun
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

4. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg (1964) vs. 2. The Smiths - Meat is Murder (1985)
7. Sting - ...Nothing Like the Sun (1987) vs. 1. The Millennium - Begin (1968)
5. ማሕሙድ ፡ ኣሕመድ - ማሕሙድ ፡ ኣሕመድ (1975) vs. 6. Prince and The New Power Generation - O(+> (1992)
8. Popcaan - Where We Come From (2014) vs. 3. Benjamin Britten - War Requiem (1963)

Favourite song from every album:
Great Balls of Fire | Nowhere Fast | Englishman in New York | It's You | Erè mèla mèla | Sexy M.F. | Love Yuh Bad | Dies irae

Favourite song of the week: Nowhere Fast

As usual I got pictures of the ladies featured on the first half of the First Round but I will wait to post them after the results so you won't need to scroll down a lot of pictures every time you enter the thread (even if there is a button to go directly to the unread posts).
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote:pictures of the ladies
:-D
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

1. Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg
2. The Millennium - Begin
3. Mahmoud Ahmed - Era Mela Mela
4. Benjamin Britten - War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra]
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

POPCAAN - WHERE WE COME FROM
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Live at The Star Club, Hamburg 86, Meat Is Murder 83
Begin 89, Nothing Like The Sun 74
Ere Mela Mela 95, Love Symbol Album 71
War Requiem 82, Where We Come From 63
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
The Millennium - Begin
Prince - Love Symbol Album
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

5 | Jerry Lee Lewis | Live at the Star Club, Hamburg
4 | The Smiths | Meat is Murder

7 | Sting | ...Nothing Like the Sun
1 | The Millennium | Begin

3 | Mahmoud Ahmed | Era Mela Mela
6 | Prince | Love Symbol Album

8 | Popcaan | Where We Come From
2 | Benjamin Britten | War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra / Benjamin Britten]

Favourite song of the week: The Millennium | There is Nothing More to Say
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

1. Live at the Star Club, Hamburg > 2. Meat is Murder
6. ...Nothing Like the Sun < 4. Begin
3. Era Mela Mela > 5. "Love Symbol Album"
8. Where We Come From < 7. War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra]

In all cases here I feel bad for the losers, because I didn't dislike any of the albums. In particular, Meat is Murder is an excellent album and it's a shame it went up against the Killer's electric performance.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I had forgotten that I'd heard the Lewis album before, which is never a good sign. Of the four non-Hatful Smiths albums (because is that really an album?), Meat is Murder is my least favorite, but it's still pretty good.

Sting's cover of "Little Wing" is enough of a reason for me not to vote for his album. It's not the only reason, but it's enough on its own.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

8. Popcaan – Where We Come From
Look, I can talk long about why I don’t like this album, but in reality it is simply a case of this being completely not my taste. I find autotune in general unpleasant and Popcaan pretty much uses it for every second of vocals, so this never had a chance to work for me. Furthermore, he works in a sort of dance style that I never liked, so this was a chore for me to sit through, but more power to people who can have a party with this.

7. Sting – …Nothing Like the Sun
There was a time, maybe 15 years or so when I was more susceptible to this type of music. I did actually love An Englishman in New York and Fragile at the time (didn’t know the other tracks) and I still like them well enough. Especially Englishman has a sort of stylish appeal. But those 15 years ago I would also have thought that the serious themes and solemn sincerity of this album was the pinnacle of depth, while when I moved out of my teens I started to feel that these types of world views were simplistic as well as unoriginal. Similarly, the very tasty instrumentals and production reminds me now most of lounge music. It’s hard to call …Nothing Like the Sun a lively album.
That’s all a bit harsh, but as it stands it is a rather fine album, just not one I feel is exciting, gripping, entertaining, soulful, beautiful or outstanding in anyway. It is almost the definition of easy listening, although in that genre this is probably the leader of the pack.

6. The Smiths – Meat Is Murder
Meat Is Murder is The Smiths being The Smiths, by which I mean that you get a good approximation of their sound and if you love The Smiths there is no reason not to love this. But most truly great albums find artists taking their sound and expanding on it. If you ask me, on this album this only happens on the opening track, The Headmaster Ritual, one the best by the band. There are no bad songs on the remained of the album, but I would only add two others to the band’s finest works: That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore and Nowhere Fast. This makes Meat Is Murder an album that is fine to listen to, but it isn’t likely ever to be one my go-to Smiths albums.

5. Benjamin Britten – War Requiem
A difficult one to rank and to rate. At times it really captures me, at other times I think it is all a bit much. On this work Britten liked to go loud whenever he had the excuse to do so. As in all classical music there is subtlety here, but what stands out the most are these moments were Britten just tries to overwhelm you. Not in a grand Wagner way, but by sudden outburst of musical violence. Well, it is about war, isn’t it.
It is not to say this doesn’t work. There is a devastating quality to War Requiem that can’t help but captivate. In a way it does feel like a piece of war that wrecks and mourns life. I just don’t know if about 80 minutes of these oppressive sounds is really what I prefer in my classical music. It is telling that for me that the more quiet, elegiac moments were the most powerful for me. But this is classical music and sometimes it has to grow, to make you feel how each piece fits into another. Who knows how I think about in rounds to come (if it goes on, of course).

4. Prince – Love Symbol Album
Every now and then I am happy that I decide to listen to each album twice before voting, because for whatever reason I didn’t like Love Symbol much the first time around, but the second time it clicked. It is a long album and my only serious criticism would be is that there are a couple of songs that run too long. Otherwise, though, this is more consistent than I would have thought. Prince was clearly trying to update his sound to the then prevailing hip hop sound, but really he works best when he gives in to the things he does best: dirty-yet-sweet funk and rock combos, with a sentimental-yet-affecting ballad thrown into the mix every now and then. There are a lot of great songs here – 7, Morning Papers, Sexy M.F., 3 Chains O’ Gold – and everything remains fun. Didn’t really see this one coming as I was expecting a real album past Prince’s prime, but he still had it back then.

3. Mahmoud Ahmed – Erè mèla mèla
This might be the best of all the African albums I have heard yet (though admittedly, I never took a deep dive in music from that continent). Not only is Ahmed strong on the rhythm that I expect from these kind of albums, but he is also a deeply soulful singer. There is a lot of repetition in the lyrics, but he gives different inflections to each new reading. That way he takes me on a more emotional journey that makes it unimportant that I don’t speak the language. Besides that it is a real album, with songs directly continuing into each other, offering minor but significant variations.
Finally, the title track is a real stunner.

2. The Millennium – Begin
In July 1968 Begin by The Millennium was released. A year before there was what is now called the Summer of Love. This album feels like someone was there that Summer, felt it and decided to put it into musical form and release it just in time for the next Summer. This is not really how this album came about, but it should have been. Of course, it doesn’t have much of the psychedelia of 1967, but it got the Summer and Love parts right.
This album also sounds very much as a product from it’s time, but here that is only for the best. This is a real time capsule to the late sixties, but the sound is warm and inviting that mere nostalgia gets replaced by the feeling of just being there. Sometimes being just ‘pleasant’ can be detrimental to an album as it usually refers to something that might be nice to here, but is easily forgotten. On Begin the pleasantness seems part of the beauty of the recording. There is depth of feeling here and it is a rare album that actually finds depth in just feeling relaxed and enjoying the moment. Maybe it isn’t a real forgotten classic, but it is a hidden gem for sure.

1. Jerry Lee Lewis – Live at the Star Club, Hamburg
Every time I hear the name Jerry Lee Lewis I think of the first line from the Ministry song Jesus Built My Hotrod: “Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true / Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil”. He may or may not have actually been the devil, but he surely was possessed. Nowhere is this better demonstrated than on this live outing. His fifties singles were already the fastest songs around, but they sound snail-paced compared to what he does here.
In a relatively short time Lewis goes through some of his most well-known songs, as well as several other famous hits by others from the same era. He proves he is the only one who can outpace Little Richard, gets people more riled up than Ray Charles and straight-up embarrasses Elvis Presley. Some might say he destroys these songs, but I say he puts more life in them then is strictly needed, but it is very welcome. It is one of my own nominations and one of the most energizing albums in existence, as well as my favorite classic rock ‘n roll work. Jerry Lee Lewis is my Hotrod.

A simple overview of my votes:

jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Listyguy wrote:Sting's cover of "Little Wing" is enough of a reason for me not to vote for his album. It's not the only reason, but it's enough on its own.
I had the exact same reaction. I like a lot of Sting's music (and some songs on this album), but that was one of the most baffling remakes I've ever heard. The album wasn't going to beat The Millennium for me even without it, but it certainly didn't help. (As always, I'd be curious to hear from someone who likes it. Maybe I'm missing something ...)
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

4 great records

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg
The Millennium - Begin
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My Picks:

Thanks!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Hi, just in passing, as no time to vote for much this week :

The Smiths : 12 pts - Jerry Lee Lewis : nul point (this is just to make a point, JLL is not that bad :))
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

13 hours left to vote!
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

The Smiths - Meat is Murder
The Millennium - Begin
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote:Hi, just in passing, as no time to vote for much this week :

The Smiths : 12 pts - Jerry Lee Lewis : nul point (this is just to make a point, JLL is not that bad :))
I don't get it. What is the point you're making and what does 12 pts stand for?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Rob wrote:
spiritualized wrote:Hi, just in passing, as no time to vote for much this week :

I don't get it. What is the point you're making and what does 12 pts stand for?
It's Eurovision week :) You should know, being Dutch, shouldn't you ? 8-) (Congratulations are deserved...)
I was trying to be obvious with the "nul" point (failed miserably). I actually rated this album a 3 out of 5 on RYM. Sorry if I confused you !
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

(Only) 17 total voters this week:
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
CupOfDreams
DaveC
FrankLotion
Honorio
jamieW
Jirin
Listyguy
madzong
PlasticRam
Rdwdbob
Rob
Safetycat
sonofsamiam
spiritualized

Winners:
1. The Smiths - Meat is Murder over Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg 10-6
2. The Millennium - Begin over Sting - ...Nothing Like the Sun 12-2
3. Mahmoud Ahmed - Era Mela Mela over Prince - "Love Symbol Album" 11-2
4. Benjamin Britten - War Requiem [London Symphony Orchestra] over Popcaan - Where We Come From 11-2

The second half of the first round (Round 1.9) starts real soon!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I think Where We Come From got 3 votes. Not that it matters much.
I feel like that
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Bang Jan wrote:Favourite song of the week: The Millennium | There is Nothing More to Say
Yes! Excellent song! I was hesitating between this one and "It's You" and finally chose the latter. Both are great (and "Prelude/To Claudia on Thursday" too).

And now the ladies…

Fiona Apple

Johanna Fateman, Kathleen Hanna and Sadie Benning (Le Tigre)

Margaret Glaspy

Pauline Oliveros

Grimes

Janet Jackson

Lakshmi Shankar and Viji Shankar (Shankar Family)

Jenny Ross and Angela Flowers (Section 25)

Sandy Denny (Fairport Convention)

Sharon Van Etten

Stevie Nicks (Buckingham Nicks)

Enya

Maureen Tucker (The Velvet Underground)

Phoebe Bridgers

Buffy Sainte-Marie

Ringo Sheena (Tokyo Jihen)

Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo)

Etta James

Alison Goldfrapp (Goldfrapp)

Romy Madley Croft (The xx)

Kristín Anna Valtýsdóttir and Gyða Valtýsdóttir (múm)

Mica Levi and Raisa Khan (Micachu & the Shapes)

Missy Misdemeanor Elliott

Mayte Garcia (The New Power Generation)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote: It's Eurovision week :) You should know, being Dutch, shouldn't you ? 8-)
Ah, I have only watched it once, probably some 15 years ago. Too much kitsch for my taste. Can't remember a thing about the point system. I didn't even know what song was running for The Netherlands until after it won. It's an okay song, based on one listen.

This was an unusual week in which pretty much every victory was a walk-over, but the win from The Smiths over Jerry Lee Lewis is the first that actually annoys me (and that is coming after seeing every one of my nominations up til now being shut out); perhaps because I feel Lewis was really putting himself out there on that show and The Smiths played it relatively safe.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”