What would you like to see AcclaimedMusic users vote on next?

What would you like to see AM's forums tackle next?

Top 100 Comics of All Time
9%
Top 100 TV Episodes of All Time
18%
Top 100 Directors of All Time
27%
Other
45%

Total votes: 11

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

What would you like to see AcclaimedMusic users vote on next?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

PS: I won't be able to do this project, myself, due to problems with mental health in my own life.
Last edited by letmeintomyzone on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: What would you like to see AcclaimedMusic users vote on next?

Post by mileswide »

How about all-time video games? Not that I'm volunteering to moderate it, I can assist whoever does, mind you...
All I got inside is vacancy!
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

A suggestion: All-Time Screen Performances (to clarify: the stuff actors do, in film and TV)

I don't know if that would work but it would certainly be interesting.

The problem with TV episodes is probably that there's an enormous pool to choose from and in the age of binging many people don't think of TV in episodic form.
mjf314
Are You Experienced?

Post by mjf314 »

I'm interested in a comics poll, but I hope you don't mind if my list is entirely manga.

I'm not interested in episodes because I don't watch individual episodes, so it wouldn't be useful as a list of recommendations. It's also too hard to remember which episodes are the best.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

mileswide wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:55 pm How about all-time video games? Not that I'm volunteering to moderate it, I can assist whoever does, mind you...
I was just thinking about this the other day, I think that would be a super fun poll though I also likely wouldn’t be able to run the poll myself.
Emerald
Strange Fruit

Post by Emerald »

mileswide wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:55 pm How about all-time video games? Not that I'm volunteering to moderate it, I can assist whoever does, mind you...
I didn't participate in the TV show ranking, mostly because I haven't seen nearly enough TV to rank, (though I am catching up) but I could probably pitch in for a VG poll.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

FrankLotion wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:39 pm I was just thinking about this the other day, I think that would be a super fun poll though I also likely wouldn’t be able to run the poll myself.
Emerald wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:46 am I didn't participate in the TV show ranking, mostly because I haven't seen nearly enough TV to rank, (though I am catching up) but I could probably pitch in for a VG poll.
I am warming to the idea the more I think about it- I think we'd get a great range of games through all the generations- I'll see over the next couple of days if anyone would like to step in but if not, I'll take the mantle as I was planning a few days off work next month anyway!
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

I added a new one to the list, so if you already send a vote, I'm sorry, but you might have to vote again
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'd totally go for an all-time video games poll.
Jacc
Superunknown

Post by Jacc »

I support the video game idea. I would love to see that!
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

I'd participate in a video game poll, too!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Really promising to see such enthusiasm for the games poll! I've got a few questions before I start the thread:

- Minimum 10, no maximum ok with everyone?
- I was thinking 19th April as a deadline, unless people want more time? Whatever we collectively agree upon, I'll naturally accept any extensions once the initial soft deadline has been set.
- Has anyone got a suitable formula in mind? I'd prefer one that gives neither too strong a weighting to top entries, nor to bottom entries.

- Should we allow individual installments of a series or just treat the series as one entity? Bear in mind that practically everyone interested in the poll is almost certainly more knowledgeable than me on the subject (I haven't owned a console since the N64), so I would value all your opinions but here are my instincts:
  • Sports series made by the same company should be seen as one entity across all platforms- I doubt FIFA's progressed a whole lot aside from graphics in decades, the same goes for Madden, NHL etc. I reckon sports series should be separated when the licence changes hands, as what has happened with WWE a few times.
  • All other series should be allowed to have multiple entries on a voter's ballot but use your judgement; no one wants to see a top 10 rollout full of Final Fantasy/CoD/insert more timely series here.
Any other rules I should set before we begin? Any questions/comments about the above?
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Nice to see you taking over the poll, mileswide!
mileswide wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:09 pm I doubt FIFA's progressed a whole lot aside from graphics in decades
That's very debatable. I've always been more of a PES guy myself, but there is definitely something of a Golden Age among fans ranging from PES 3 to PES 6, and I think the same goes for FIFA. I'm not sure if voting for individual games in these series will clog the rollout, but I also see the risk of overvalueing long-running sports series when every single entry is combined. Of course in the end it's your judgement call, but for me personally it would be easier to vote for single stand-alone games than whole series.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Krurze wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:21 pm That's very debatable. I've always been more of a PES guy myself, but there is definitely something of a Golden Age among fans ranging from PES 3 to PES 6, and I think the same goes for FIFA. I'm not sure if voting for individual games in these series will clog the rollout, but I also see the risk of overvalueing long-running sports series when every single entry is combined. Of course in the end it's your judgement call, but for me personally it would be easier to vote for single stand-alone games than whole series.
You're probably right, I could well have been a mite glib there- besides, your mention of Pro Evo raises the issue of whether ISS counts as a different property solely due to the name change...I'm just making things complicated, so, unless anyone has a differing viewpoint, I'll impose no limit to multiple games from a single series. Please don't make me regret my decision, I'm sure you all won't ;-)

Any other agreements/disagreements/opinions/points of order from anyone before we get the ball rolling?
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Unless anyone has a better idea later on, I'll nab Holden's formula of 100* (125+1)/(125+x). Thread to follow ASAP!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

mileswide wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:28 pm Unless anyone has a better idea later on, I'll nab Holden's formula of 100* (125+1)/(125+x). Thread to follow ASAP!
If I was you, I'd make it a bit steeper (lower the number from 125). That formula is more meant for lists of lengths of 500-1000, which seem generous for a game's list. Of course, it's up to you!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Holden wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 pm If I was you, I'd make it a bit steeper (lower the number from 125). That formula is more meant for lists of lengths of 500-1000, which seem generous for a game's list. Of course, it's up to you!
Cheers! Would you say 25 is reasonable or too low?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

mileswide wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:43 pm
Holden wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:29 pm If I was you, I'd make it a bit steeper (lower the number from 125). That formula is more meant for lists of lengths of 500-1000, which seem generous for a game's list. Of course, it's up to you!
Cheers! Would you say 25 is reasonable or too low?
Sure, that sounds good! That's what I used for the television poll, which I think would be a good comparison.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Holden wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:49 pm Sure, that sounds good! That's what I used for the television poll, which I think would be a good comparison.
Thanks again for the advice, I wouldn't know where to start with formulas otherwise! Would you happen to have the spreadsheet for the TV poll, so I can use it as a template for this games one? Any chance you can link it here or in the telly poll thread, please?
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

What would you like to see as a poll next?

I didn't know their was a Directors Poll already
ValenN
Wannabe

Post by ValenN »

Fictional characters would be interesting, though I imagine it would come with a ton of headaches for whoever runs the poll.
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Now that, the Video Game Polls is done, what is next?
mjf314
Are You Experienced?

Post by mjf314 »

Maybe a book poll? I don't read much, so my own list would be very short, but I'd be interested in seeing the results.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

mjf314 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:54 pm Maybe a book poll? I don't read much, so my own list would be very short, but I'd be interested in seeing the results.
We did exactly that two times already, the last poll on the subject being last year:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... f=8&t=9059
mjf314
Are You Experienced?

Post by mjf314 »

Thanks. I should have done a search before suggesting it.

Has there been a paintings poll yet?
styrofoamboots
Wannabe

Post by styrofoamboots »

I don't think there has been any sort of visual art poll besides film and TV polls

If you hosted a paintings poll, I would definitely vote!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I wouldn't mind a 2nd run of actor/actress poll

Return to “General Discussion”