Coronavirus

Post Reply
User avatar
Holden
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Coronavirus

Post by Holden » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 am

Out of curiosity, how is the coronavirus affecting all of you? My school is shut down for a while, and the restaurant I work at has gotten crazy strict-people are no longer allowed to grab their own sauces and straws. So how about you?
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away."

User avatar
Rocky Raccoon
Different Class
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:30 am
Location: Seattle area

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Rocky Raccoon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:12 am

A lot here in Washington State. Just found out earlier today that this was the last day of school for my kids for at least six weeks. I don't live in Seattle, but I've heard it's like a ghost town there. Luckily, I have a job that doesn't require me coming into contact with a lot of people, and about half of it I do from home. Hopefully, for everyone's sake, this gets under control soon, but I feel it may get worse before it gets better.
Everyone stay as safe as possible out there. Take precautions, wash your hands, don't touch your face, stay six feet away from people outside your immediate family, etc., etc. You may be saving more lives than just your own.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nick » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 am

All the local schools in my area are closed, as are the colleges. My workplace is still open though, but we're prepared to close down at a moment's notice. I'm not too worried about myself getting sick, or even being in isolation. But I have a very sick girlfriend (cystic fibrosis) who I'm extremely worried about. Even though we only live a short drive away from each other, we probably won't see each other for a while.

Hang in there, people.

User avatar
Chambord
Wannabe
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: RO
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Chambord » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Everyone
Everyone around here
Everyone is so near
It's holding on

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Update: I'm currently working from home, and will be for the next two weeks. Most likely I will be working from home longer than that, but we'll see. It's my second day of semi-quarantine, and it's not so bad this far, as I'm a fairly introverted guy. Let's see how I feel in two weeks though!

Stay healthy and safe everyone! And stay home!!

User avatar
whuntva
Full of Fire
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by whuntva » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:16 am

I have still had to work. My job is considered "essential" enough to keep employed. I actually got a $2 raise until the end of April.

Occasionally, I go for a run outside. I keep the "arm's length" rule, and had to tell my girlfriend no kissing and no hugging. But otherwise, it is business as usual for me.

When people asked me where I was during the Plague, I will just tell them "I went about my day as normal."

The worst thing about it for me is everything being cancelled. I could at least put up with it if they had soccer on.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

User avatar
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:42 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Maschine_Man » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm in London, what a shit show. Start of the month, everything was still pretty chill. My job vanished in less than a week and I have had to cancel my wedding and honeymoon as Australia and New Zealand are in lock-down. I'm now stuck at home for at least a minimum of two weeks, with the possibility of this stasis lasting months.

however

This will give me a chance to complete a goal of mine; 500 Albums 2010-2019. I'm going to update my Spreadsheets and re-evaluate albums I haven't listened to in a while. I have less than twenty albums left, so I'm excited to complete this in a month or so. I'll have to have a poke around some of the recent polls to see if there was anything I missed.

Strange times,

Taro

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jirin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm

It hasn't affected my job except in terms of it's less convenient to work from home. But I live alone and having zero human contact is really a struggle.

On top of that, I think there's a lot of hypocrisy and moral Johnny Come Latelies that make it even more stressful. The people who will accuse you of killing Grandma and launch into sanctimonious rants for going on a short walk alone around your neighborhood and are saying we should ignore economic struggles as long as a single new case is possible are the same people who weren't willing to make the slightest sacrifice until the possible death toll hit seven figures, continue to do nothing for global warming, and if the same thing happened but only in Africa wouldn't have gone any further than hitting the "Donate $5" button during Amazon checkout.

The level of abject hypocrisy some people display on the Internet has gotten difficult to deal with especially in the absence of real social contact.

I just hope we settle on the approach to just stay home for the two months or so it takes to get past the peak of the first wave of infections, then start gradually opening things back up to keep the infection rate under hospital capacity instead of protracted lockdowns even longer than that. That's probably the best way to minimize the death toll while also minimizing the impact on people's emotional health and the human cost of a prolonged recession.

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5410
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Henrik » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm

In Sweden we have become quite famous for still having open schools. So far we’re doing alright...and I think we’re doing the right thing. Closing schools would lead to
1. Reduced hospital staff because parents have to stay home and take care of their kids.
2. Grandparents at risk taking care of their grandchildren and get infected.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

User avatar
Holden
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Holden » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I live in a fairly small Wisconsin county, and we just had our first confirmed case.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away."

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jirin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 pm

These measures are absolutely necessary and probably for at least a period of 2-3 months (Followed by a period of gradual loosening to build herd immunity while keeping hospitals from being overwhelmed).

I'm just getting sick of the sanctimonious tone of some people who would have never lifted a finger until the number of deaths they were quoted rose above half a million and suddenly think they can call people horrible monsters for even raising the economy and personal freedoms as a factor in the equation. They act like even considering the effect of the economy is a matter of helping selfish rich people protect their fortunes, when it's the poor who will suffer the most and spread out over several years might even kill more people in the long run than the marginal effect on virus.

The same people who in 2001 crashed press conferences with banners saying "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither", no less. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that the restrictions should gradually start loosening as soon as we get past the point where we can be confident the hospitals can handle the load, and I'm sick of the self righteous hypocrisy of 75% of the Internet who, if they were quoted 150,000 as the possible number of deaths instead of millions, would definitely still be out partying.

User avatar
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Live in Phoenix » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:05 pm

I think more than half the country is at shelter-in-place, though Arizona is not. EDIT: Now it is. (Many things are closed, like restaurants except for take-out, and schools. Daycare isn't closed, but my wife is working from home and has the baby at home, at this time.) Juvenile court never closes, but if we go to shelter-in-place, I'd probably come in to work once a week, at best. For most people, I worry about the other factors like employment more than getting the virus. My 71-year-old mother lives nearby and isn't taking visitors, which must hurt as far as seeing the rest of the family and her infant granddaughter. My grandfather-in-law was visiting his daughter, and so actually he's stuck there now and can't get back to his wife, currently.

My grandparents on my mom's side lived through the Spanish flu as kids, and my oldest picture of my grandpa is for a football team photo from the early '30s, accompanied by an article of him playing a local game in front of 2,000 people -- this will all end at some point, though I understand if that sounds like a platitude to people going through hardship. If anything, I'm on the fairly comfortable side. (By the way, I haven't seen Moonbeam around here for a good while, and I wonder if he's going through some heavy shit in some way, virus-related.) Anyway, It'd just be outrageously stupid to try to open things back up on Easter like it's some film premiere date that you're trying to meet in a couple weeks and the movie's 1/4 filmed.

User avatar
Cold Butterfly
Different Class
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Washington D.C. area

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Cold Butterfly » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:41 am

You know, if Trump had taken the dangers of this virus seriously, then it's spread may have been minimized in the United States. But no, he called it a hoax. It's no wonder why with America leading the world in confirmed cases, many ignoramuses still choose not to take COVID-19 seriously. Do these people realize that more people are going to get sick and die from the virus? It's no wonder they don't when the most powerful government in the world doesn't. Hospitals over here are looking like war zones, with no end in sight. And like I said, the death toll will only go up. I'm sorry if I seem like such a downer over this, but someone needs to be held accountable for this incompetence. The relief bill may have been a start, but sadly, it's too late. The impact is here to stay.

Stay safe everybody.

User avatar
bootsy
Full of Fire
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by bootsy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:34 am

Cold Butterfly wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:41 am
You know, if Trump had taken the dangers of this virus seriously, then it's spread may have been minimized in the United States. But no, he called it a hoax. It's no wonder why with America leading the world in confirmed cases, many ignoramuses still choose not to take COVID-19 seriously. Do these people realize that more people are going to get sick and die from the virus? It's no wonder they don't when the most powerful government in the world doesn't. Hospitals over here are looking like war zones, with no end in sight. And like I said, the death toll will only go up. I'm sorry if I seem like such a downer over this, but someone needs to be held accountable for this incompetence. The relief bill may have been a start, but sadly, it's too late. The impact is here to stay.

Stay safe everybody.
You're pretty spot on with this.

User avatar
PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by PlasticRam » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:22 am

^^ I agree.
I feel like that

dimabilan
Debut
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by dimabilan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 am

Cold Butterfly wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:41 am
You know, if Trump had taken the dangers of this virus seriously, then it's spread may have been minimized in the United States. But no, he called it a hoax. It's no wonder why with America leading the world in confirmed cases, many ignoramuses still choose not to take COVID-19 seriously. Do these people realize that more people are going to get sick and die from the virus? It's no wonder they don't when the most powerful government in the world doesn't. Hospitals over here are looking like war zones, with no end in sight. And like I said, the death toll will only go up. I'm sorry if I seem like such a downer over this, but someone needs to be held accountable for this incompetence. The relief bill may have been a start, but sadly, it's too late. The impact is here to stay.

Stay safe everybody.
Sade! :( But o my thinking, the core lesson of COVID-19 is the need to change the context in which it emerged, a context of disinvestment in public health preparedness.

User avatar
carlos74
Strange Fruit
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:51 am
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by carlos74 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:48 pm

I live in Madrid, here the situation is very bad. We have already been in quarantine for more than two weeks and the situation does not improve. I live alone and cannot see my family, friends or girlfriend. I can only go out to buy food. I have been temporarily fired from work (I hope). In spite of everything, it can be said that I am lucky, since none of my loved ones is still sick. I spend the day watching movies and series and listening to records. I think we will continue like this for a while.

antonius
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:47 pm
Location: Hoboken, Antwerp, Belgium

Re: Coronavirus

Post by antonius » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 pm

I live in Antwerp, Belgium. The company I work for is seen as essential for the Belgian economy, so I can work from home fullltime. I'm lucky I guess, but this brings its own kind of stress, as you are very focused on your job the whole time you work.
Luckily I also have my kids, who keep me sane. They are bored but they take it as it comes. We go outside at least once a day. They have their daily homework. They get along and don't argue. I am very grateful for their presence. None of us are ill.

User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Full of Fire
Posts: 1087
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Coronavirus

Post by prosecutorgodot » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm

On the bright side, seems like data is showing that social distancing is working to flatten the curve, at least in the States.
600 billion in tax payer money, and no clue where it went.

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jirin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:52 pm

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm
On the bright side, seems like data is showing that social distancing is working to flatten the curve, at least in the States.
It's tough to judge. If you go to the CDC page, you still see doubling although now down to every 4-5 days, but if you look at the 'Cases by date of illness onset' histogram, it looks relatively flat for the five days before the 'Illnesses in this range may not be reported' part. So it's hard to tell whether the continuing exponential nature is an increase in cases or an increase in detected cases.

User avatar
Holden
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Holden » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm

I decided to ask my employer to stop scheduling me due to COVID. I work at a fast food restaurant, and we are as busy now as we were last year, which is wonderful that the restaurant is making money, but to me it seems like a matter of time until I get infected through one of the 200+ people coming through drive thru.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away."

User avatar
Cold Butterfly
Different Class
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Washington D.C. area

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Cold Butterfly » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 pm

Holden wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm
I decided to ask my employer to stop scheduling me due to COVID. I work at a fast food restaurant, and we are as busy now as we were last year, which is wonderful that the restaurant is making money, but to me it seems like a matter of time until I get infected through one of the 200+ people coming through drive thru.
I hope you’re getting paid leave. A lot of workers haven’t, which is honestly just proof of capitalism’s failure.

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jirin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 pm

Cold Butterfly wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 pm
Holden wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm
I decided to ask my employer to stop scheduling me due to COVID. I work at a fast food restaurant, and we are as busy now as we were last year, which is wonderful that the restaurant is making money, but to me it seems like a matter of time until I get infected through one of the 200+ people coming through drive thru.
I hope you’re getting paid leave. A lot of workers haven’t, which is honestly just proof of capitalism’s failure.
That's only a sign of failure of proper regulation of capitalism and proper social safety net. You think when we get a good Covid antiviral or vaccine, it'll be because the government funded a researcher, or because some greedy capitalist thought it'd make him or her money?

User avatar
Cold Butterfly
Different Class
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Washington D.C. area

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Cold Butterfly » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:17 pm

Jirin wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 pm
Cold Butterfly wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 pm
Holden wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm
I decided to ask my employer to stop scheduling me due to COVID. I work at a fast food restaurant, and we are as busy now as we were last year, which is wonderful that the restaurant is making money, but to me it seems like a matter of time until I get infected through one of the 200+ people coming through drive thru.
I hope you’re getting paid leave. A lot of workers haven’t, which is honestly just proof of capitalism’s failure.
That's only a sign of failure of proper regulation of capitalism and proper social safety net. You think when we get a good Covid antiviral or vaccine, it'll be because the government funded a researcher, or because some greedy capitalist thought it'd make him or her money?
Just go to your local market to buy a roll of toilet paper and check the price. Then compare it to how much that roll cost five months ago. And what about companies like Amazon who have the economic power to exploit their employees and put them in danger during a pandemic, all because this economic system allows them to? And when that vaccine comes, one of the things I'll be thinking about is how the danger of this pandemic was minimized by government officials in order to protect their precious big businesses. That's all which needs to be said on the matter.

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jirin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Cold Butterfly wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:17 pm
Jirin wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 pm
Cold Butterfly wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 pm

I hope you’re getting paid leave. A lot of workers haven’t, which is honestly just proof of capitalism’s failure.
That's only a sign of failure of proper regulation of capitalism and proper social safety net. You think when we get a good Covid antiviral or vaccine, it'll be because the government funded a researcher, or because some greedy capitalist thought it'd make him or her money?
Just go to your local market to buy a roll of toilet paper and check the price. Then compare it to how much that roll cost five months ago. And what about companies like Amazon who have the economic power to exploit their employees and put them in danger during a pandemic, all because this economic system allows them to? And when that vaccine comes, one of the things I'll be thinking about is how the danger of this pandemic was minimized by government officials in order to protect their precious big businesses. That's all which needs to be said on the matter.
That's all a gross oversimplification which blames capitalism for its worst effects without giving it credit for its best effects.

Yeah, price of toilet paper goes up because demand has increased, duh. If you don't allow the price to go up you have more shortages. That's basic economics. You may pay more for toilet paper, but if you didn't the horders would buy it all and you couldn't get it anyway.

And yes, the US government minimized the problem. That's because our president is a narcissistic moron. If the Chinese government hadn't covered up the problem it would have been contained in Wuhan, they're not even capitalist. Other capitalist countries like Japan and South Korea with more competent leadership did a pretty damn good job containing it. The factor in the US wasn't capitalism, it was cronyism and it was incompetence.

The countries the virus hit the least aren't the most socialist countries, they are capitalist countries with competent leadership and a culture of more trust in the government.

Every person who has chosen to go into work does so because they consider the risk to themselves to be smaller than the consequences of months of no income. Again, not a problem of capitalism so much as a problem of not having a good enough social safety net.

"And that's all there is to say in the matter", which of course it isn't, because it's a complex nuanced issue you are reducing to some exaggerated corporatist straw man.

User avatar
Holden
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Holden » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Jirin wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:51 pm
Cold Butterfly wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:17 pm
Jirin wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 pm


That's only a sign of failure of proper regulation of capitalism and proper social safety net. You think when we get a good Covid antiviral or vaccine, it'll be because the government funded a researcher, or because some greedy capitalist thought it'd make him or her money?
Just go to your local market to buy a roll of toilet paper and check the price. Then compare it to how much that roll cost five months ago. And what about companies like Amazon who have the economic power to exploit their employees and put them in danger during a pandemic, all because this economic system allows them to? And when that vaccine comes, one of the things I'll be thinking about is how the danger of this pandemic was minimized by government officials in order to protect their precious big businesses. That's all which needs to be said on the matter.
That's all a gross oversimplification which blames capitalism for its worst effects without giving it credit for its best effects.

Yeah, price of toilet paper goes up because demand has increased, duh. If you don't allow the price to go up you have more shortages. That's basic economics. You may pay more for toilet paper, but if you didn't the horders would buy it all and you couldn't get it anyway.

And yes, the US government minimized the problem. That's because our president is a narcissistic moron. If the Chinese government hadn't covered up the problem it would have been contained in Wuhan, they're not even capitalist. Other capitalist countries like Japan and South Korea with more competent leadership did a pretty damn good job containing it. The factor in the US wasn't capitalism, it was cronyism and it was incompetence.

The countries the virus hit the least aren't the most socialist countries, they are capitalist countries with competent leadership and a culture of more trust in the government.

Every person who has chosen to go into work does so because they consider the risk to themselves to be smaller than the consequences of months of no income. Again, not a problem of capitalism so much as a problem of not having a good enough social safety net.

"And that's all there is to say in the matter", which of course it isn't, because it's a complex nuanced issue you are reducing to some exaggerated corporatist straw man.
As someone who wholeheartedly believes in socialism over straight capitalism, I have to agree with the assessment that capitalism Is not the problem, it’s gross incompetence.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away."

User avatar
Cold Butterfly
Different Class
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Washington D.C. area

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Cold Butterfly » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Jirin wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:51 pm
Cold Butterfly wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:17 pm
Jirin wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:54 pm


That's only a sign of failure of proper regulation of capitalism and proper social safety net. You think when we get a good Covid antiviral or vaccine, it'll be because the government funded a researcher, or because some greedy capitalist thought it'd make him or her money?
Just go to your local market to buy a roll of toilet paper and check the price. Then compare it to how much that roll cost five months ago. And what about companies like Amazon who have the economic power to exploit their employees and put them in danger during a pandemic, all because this economic system allows them to? And when that vaccine comes, one of the things I'll be thinking about is how the danger of this pandemic was minimized by government officials in order to protect their precious big businesses. That's all which needs to be said on the matter.
That's all a gross oversimplification which blames capitalism for its worst effects without giving it credit for its best effects.

Yeah, price of toilet paper goes up because demand has increased, duh. If you don't allow the price to go up you have more shortages. That's basic economics. You may pay more for toilet paper, but if you didn't the horders would buy it all and you couldn't get it anyway.

And yes, the US government minimized the problem. That's because our president is a narcissistic moron. If the Chinese government hadn't covered up the problem it would have been contained in Wuhan, they're not even capitalist. Other capitalist countries like Japan and South Korea with more competent leadership did a pretty damn good job containing it. The factor in the US wasn't capitalism, it was cronyism and it was incompetence.

The countries the virus hit the least aren't the most socialist countries, they are capitalist countries with competent leadership and a culture of more trust in the government.

Every person who has chosen to go into work does so because they consider the risk to themselves to be smaller than the consequences of months of no income. Again, not a problem of capitalism so much as a problem of not having a good enough social safety net.

"And that's all there is to say in the matter", which of course it isn't, because it's a complex nuanced issue you are reducing to some exaggerated corporatist straw man.
I agree with your points about how incompetence led to the minimization of this pandemic, but all I’m saying is that this pandemic is exposing this economic system’s failure. Private ownership and government deregulation allow for companies to exploit workers, which is why issues come up such as the fact workers aren’t getting paid leave and have to go to work during this pandemic to earn a dime. It’s an issue with the social safety net, but capitalism also allows this. If it didn’t, less lives would have been lost. And yes, less lives would’ve been lost too if we didn’t have an idiotic fascist as president.

I get that the toilet paper thing is “basic economics” but I just think it’s pretty fucked up that companies can profit from items such as that going up, as if they’re trying to take advantage of people like me. But hey, life isn’t fair I guess. And with all due respect, please tell me about capitalism’s best effects, because I don’t see too much of that.

Capitalism isn’t 100% the problem, but I think it’s a factor.

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jirin » Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 pm

To explain the positive effects of capitalism I'd have to go back to economics 101 and drawing demand curves. To show that, if there are no constrains on competition or purchasing behavior, the sum effect of everybody doing what's in their best interest results in the most benefit for the most people. Because fundamentally, people are better at understanding their own needs than any committee is at understanding everybody's needs.

This runs into problems if one firm is able to create a monopoly, or in areas like health care where the consumers do not have the freedom not to buy, and that's where you need regulation.

Capitalism has given us the infrastructure that we could have responded to the virus better than any other country in the world. If we had competent government, and didn't have a culture of not believing the government when they say there's a threat.

User avatar
Cold Butterfly
Different Class
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Washington D.C. area

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Cold Butterfly » Sun May 03, 2020 10:24 pm

Jirin wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 pm
To explain the positive effects of capitalism I'd have to go back to economics 101 and drawing demand curves. To show that, if there are no constrains on competition or purchasing behavior, the sum effect of everybody doing what's in their best interest results in the most benefit for the most people. Because fundamentally, people are better at understanding their own needs than any committee is at understanding everybody's needs.

This runs into problems if one firm is able to create a monopoly, or in areas like health care where the consumers do not have the freedom not to buy, and that's where you need regulation.

Capitalism has given us the infrastructure that we could have responded to the virus better than any other country in the world. If we had competent government, and didn't have a culture of not believing the government when they say there's a threat.
The problem is one of capitalism’s fundamentals is lack of government regulation. This leads to issues such as those I’ve already spoken about, such as worker exploitation and economic inequality (especially among racial boundaries)

For example, data from sources such as the CDC show that minorities in the United States are being
affected the most by COVID-19 in this country. Minorities are also affected the most in the U.S. by economic inequality. American capitalism has led to wealth being hoarded by 1% or this country’s population, and a lot of that 1% happens to be rich white men. Is it a coincidence that everyday workers and minorities are being affected the most by this virus? No, because a lot of those people (including people like me) unfairly don’t have the economic resources to protect themselves. And also, there’s no guarantee yet that a coronavirus vaccine will be affordable by any chance. I’ll be happy as hell when the vaccine arrives, but this economic system doesn’t confirm that all will be well money-wise for many people when it comes. I don’t think capitalism’s best effects had to be achieved at the cost of basic human equality. That’s why I think the system is flawed and responsible for issues such as people being pressured to work in a pandemic, as we saw in the beginning of COVID-19’s emergence in this country, and some people not having the resources to fight a virus like COVID-19.

User avatar
Holden
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Holden » Sun May 03, 2020 11:05 pm

While I don’t believe in total government control I do believe that going forward there is something to be said for the government being able to simply halt everyday activities without anyone having to go hungry. For example, a universal basic income, to me, sounds like a very good idea.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away."

User avatar
Cold Butterfly
Different Class
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Washington D.C. area

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Cold Butterfly » Mon May 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Holden wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:05 pm
While I don’t believe in total government control I do believe that going forward there is something to be said for the government being able to simply halt everyday activities without anyone having to go hungry. For example, a universal basic income, to me, sounds like a very good idea.
This is an idea I can get behind :mrgreen:

scoopog
The Only Way Is Up
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by scoopog » Mon May 04, 2020 8:09 pm

the same, we are in home quarantine, home office and school office for kids, my home right now is crazy
But I think is for good

scoopog
The Only Way Is Up
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by scoopog » Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 pm

We are the same in house, but my aunt in NY have been in hospital aroun 3 weeks
in a critical state of health, we hope that this week you will be discharged, in her house
all are positive to covid. it is really hard the situation for them

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jirin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:20 pm

I don't understand why my country is so dense about wearing masks.

If you look at the state by state breakdown, the only states that are not spiking now are the northeastern ones that are strictly enforcing mask rules in businesses.

Wearing a mask doesn't mean you lost your freedom, it means you give a shit about other people.

Based on how small the outbreak was in Japan I strongly believe that wearing masks does much more to stop the spread than closing things and not going out.

User avatar
Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2334
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Listyguy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Jirin wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:20 pm
I don't understand why my country is so dense about wearing masks.

If you look at the state by state breakdown, the only states that are not spiking now are the northeastern ones that are strictly enforcing mask rules in businesses.

Wearing a mask doesn't mean you lost your freedom, it means you give a shit about other people.

Based on how small the outbreak was in Japan I strongly believe that wearing masks does much more to stop the spread than closing things and not going out.
Unfortunately America's been cultivating an anti-science, anti-education culture for years now, and this is the result of that. Large swaths of the population don't believe scientists, the "mainstream" media, or public officials, so the messaging on mask wearing is completely lost on them.

Here in New York, pretty much everyone wears a mask. I think that's probably because of the initial outbreak being so severe here, it scared the stupid out of everybody.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Harold » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Listyguy wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:42 pm
Jirin wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:20 pm
I don't understand why my country is so dense about wearing masks.
Unfortunately America's been cultivating an anti-science, anti-education culture for years now, and this is the result of that. Large swaths of the population don't believe scientists, the "mainstream" media, or public officials, so the messaging on mask wearing is completely lost on them.

Here in New York, pretty much everyone wears a mask. I think that's probably because of the initial outbreak being so severe here, it scared the stupid out of everybody.
Let's not forget something very, very important here - one member of that "large swath of the population" referenced above is THE GODDAMNED PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, who does not believe in masks, will not wear one unless it is absolutely necessary, does not believe in enforcing ANY kind of social distancing at his appearances and events, etc. That kind of stubborn, stupid defiance of science and common sense, from the highest level of our country's leadership, cannot help but filter down to the millions who continue to worship this hairpiece that passes for a man as if he was God His OwnSelf. If we had a president who gave a damn about anyone whose name is not Donald John Trump, I truly believe the COVID-19 story in the U.S. would be very different right now.

Post Reply