Meme Criticism?

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Meme Criticism?

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Memes have become an important median over the 21st century. Not only have they become a part of society, but in a way they are an embodiment of the 21st-century world.

I know people already do "meme reviews", but I really think memes are an art form, and an important source of humor, especially today. It sounds incredibly stupid, but to analyze and dive into it would not be such a bad idea. I feel like professional meme criticism will arrive soon, and it deserves to. Like I said, this might be the stupidest thing you ever read, but it really makes sense if you think about it. Just wanna see what you guys think about this, and if you share (or not) the same opinion that I do.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Meme Criticism?

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I miss the days when memes lasted longer than a week... Nowadays it seems like they’re deliberately designed to be disposable.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:I miss the days when memes lasted longer than a week... Nowadays it seems like they’re deliberately designed to be disposable.
That's true, especially on social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram. Most meme makers design them for clout and popularity, in my opinion. The same way early 20th-century popular music was designed as. But there are a large number of them which view it as art form, and that's what I really think memes are. If meme criticism were a thing, it would put those memes worthy of prosperity where they belong.

Look at all the memes that have, in a way, been important marks in the world's history. I'm talking about the memes that have made a difference in this earth. It's not just a vehicle for humor, memes have shown that they can determine what direction our society can, and could take. It sounds stupid, but it's true. That's why memes are deserving of a criticism of it's own.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Memes can be funny when used correctly. But to me there's nothing more obnoxious than people using memes either as reviews or as responses to people's posts on message boards.

I lost all respect for pitchfork when they did that meme review of the Black Kids album several years ago.

And if arguing something in a thread and somebody responds with nothing but a flippant meme, I lose all respect for them too. Like, great, you think I'm wrong, so make a real rebuttal that addresses and criticizes the points I made, don't just give some picture of somebody looking confounded, you ass.

When you're not just being trollish and using memes for what they are, simple disposable jokes, they're cool. When you're using them trollishly to just give some pat dismissal in place of expressing *gasp* actual THOUGHTS, you suck.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Jirin wrote:Memes can be funny when used correctly. But to me there's nothing more obnoxious than people using memes either as reviews or as responses to people's posts on message boards.

I lost all respect for pitchfork when they did that meme review of the Black Kids album several years ago.

And if arguing something in a thread and somebody responds with nothing but a flippant meme, I lose all respect for them too. Like, great, you think I'm wrong, so make a real rebuttal that addresses and criticizes the points I made, don't just give some picture of somebody looking confounded, you ass.

When you're not just being trollish and using memes for what they are, simple disposable jokes, they're cool. When you're using them trollishly to just give some pat dismissal in place of expressing *gasp* actual THOUGHTS, you suck.
I agree. To use a meme in a harsh and unnecessary way is outright ridiculous and pretentious, but they can be used as a valuable source of humor in this world. Film, Music, and Literature have been used the same way throughout their history. I just feel like memes are an important benchmark of today's society, whether used for good or bad, and should be subject to professional and academic criticism alongside with other medians such as Film and TV.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

What's great about memes is they provide shared joke templates which make them inherently social and let people who aren't creative play too.

I'm not sure memes are complex enough to warrant criticism, their appeal is that they're simple. I suppose you could call them pop art.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Jirin wrote:What's great about memes is they provide shared joke templates which make them inherently social and let people who aren't creative play too.

I'm not sure memes are complex enough to warrant criticism, their appeal is that they're simple. I suppose you could call them pop art.
I get that, but pop art can, and has been subject to criticism. If you go on Instagram for example, and look deeply you can find memes that are really complex, and artsy in a way. I've seen a lot of memes that are hella surreal, and even kinda avant-garde. Memes are really an art form now, it's just the minority that views it as that and makes them like they're art.
ShavonPaule
Only Sixteen

Post by ShavonPaule »

I am against the unethical ones.

Return to “General Discussion”