AMF Favorite Books Poll: THE RESULTS

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: AMF Favorite Books Poll: THE RESULTS

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:So we're down to 10! I'd love to see some predictions for how you think the list will play out.
Got a good feeling about my #1 at this point.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

This is great! Hopefully, we'll do it again in a year or two.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Fight Club must be in the top 10
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Well I'm expecting

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Catcher in the Rye (wish this had gone already)
Pride & Prejudice
1984 (Most likely #1)
Crime & Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov
To Kill a Mockingbird
Slaughterhouse 5
Animal Farm

Drawing a blank on the last one. I would have picked Moby-dick & War&Peace for top 10 so I'm not going to attempt any predictions beyond 1984 at #1.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Fear and Loathing at #11 - didn't see that one coming.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

For the tenth book still to come, I'll go with "Watchmen", since Listy mentioned that there would be one "borderline" entry.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

And thank you Listy for organising this!
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

My prediction
10. Wathcmen
9. Pride and Prejudice
8. The Brothers Karamazov
7. Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
6. Crime and Punishment
5. Catcher in the Rye
4. Animal Farm
3. Slaughterhouse 5
2. To Kill a Mockingbird
1. 1984
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

I think all of you are right! Come on Watchmen and The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy for the top 10!
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

It's great to see Brave New World do so well. It has some narrative shortcomings, but it's prescience cannot be overstated. I'm a little surprised Harry Potter ranked so highly, but they are good books.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

antonius wrote:For the tenth book still to come, I'll go with "Watchmen", since Listy mentioned that there would be one "borderline" entry.
My guess would be he meant Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with that remark
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Krurze wrote:
antonius wrote:For the tenth book still to come, I'll go with "Watchmen", since Listy mentioned that there would be one "borderline" entry.
Yes, that could also be true, since it's largely autobiographcal.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Krurze wrote:
Yeah, that comment was about Fear and Loathing. Watchmen is definitely fiction.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Here's are first group of the top ten! Hopefully the remaining seven will be revealed later today...

10. The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger (1951)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1398034300l/5107.jpg[/imgsize]

Score:

Voters:
Listyguy (#2)
Dexter (#5)
Chambord (#12)
Michel (#26)
prosecutorgodot (#29)
DocBrown (#46)
Nick (#48)
Petri (#59)
Greg (#71)
antonius (#77)

Mr. Salinger's rendering of teen-age speech is wonderful: the unconscious humor, the repetitions, the slang and profanity, the emphasis, all are just right. Holden's mercurial changes of mood, his stubborn refusal to admit his own sensitiveness and emotions, his cheerful disregard of what is sometimes known as reality are typically and heart breakingly adolescent.
–Nash K. Burger, for New York Times

The Greatest Books rank: 25

9. Watchmen – Alan Moore and David Gibbons (1987)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442 ... 472331.jpg[/imgsize]

Score:

Voters:
StevieFan13 (#3)
ordinaryperson (#5)
whuntva (#6)
Nick (#9)
madzong (#16)
Petri (#46)
Dexter (#59)

The next comic book artist who argues that his medium needs more realism…ought to be socked on the jaw. Failing that, he should march himself to the nearest comic book store, thumb through the latest pulp chronicles of crime-fighters who kill and villains who commit rape and advocate genocide, and decide for himself if the modern graphic novel isn't sufficiently graphic already. Better yet, he should simply reread the comics of Alan Moore.
–Dave Itzkoff, for New York Times

The Greatest Books rank: 393

8. Animal Farm – George Orwell (1945)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1424037542l/7613.jpg[/imgsize]

Score:

Voters:
Listyguy (#4)
Styrofoam Boots (#8)
prosecutorgodot (#9)
StevieFan13 (#10)
Chambord (#27)
antonius (#30)
whuntva (#39)
DocBrown (#45)
Nick (#47)
Dexter (#94)
Miguel (#94)

Mr. George Orwell's Animal Farm, described as a fairy story, is a delightfully humorous and caustic satire on the rule of the many by the few.
The Guardian

The Greatest Books rank: 60
styrofoamboots
Wannabe

Post by styrofoamboots »

:mrgreen: Hoping for Hitchhiker's Guide in the top 5...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Update: not doing the results tonight. Almost definitely tomorrow though.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Come on Hitch-Hikers!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

7. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee (1960)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1361975680l/2657.jpg[/imgsize]

Score:

Voters:
StevieFan13 (#1)
Dexter (#2)
Listyguy (#7)
DocBrown (#11)
prosecutorgodot (#16)
whuntva (#22)
bonnielaurel (#72)

Lee 's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life. (A notable one: "Naming people after Confederate generals makes slow steady drinkers.")
Time magazine

The Greatest Books rank: 54

6. Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Doxtoevsky (1866)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327 ... /28348.jpg[/imgsize]

Also Known As: Prestupleniye i nakazaniye

Score:

Voters:
Chambord (#1)
Michel (#2)
ordinaryperson (#3)
bonnielaurel (#7)
DaveC (#16)
Greg (#40)
Dexter (#49)

At the end of November much had been written and was ready; I burned it all; I can confess that now. I didn't like it myself. A new form, a new plan excited me, and I started all over again.
–Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Greatest Books rank: 14

5. The Brothers Karamazov – Fyodor Dostoevsky (1880)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1320543944l/7135.jpg[/imgsize]

Also Known As: Brat'ya Karamazovy

Score:

Voters:
bonnielaurel (#1)
Krurze (#4)
Greg (#4)
schaefer.tk (#7)
Chambord (#14)
antonius (#37)
DaveC (#43)
Dexter (#57)

There's no denying the delirious melodrama in these books. But having lived with Karamazov for 20-odd years, I am certain Kafka judged it correctly in arguing that Dostoyevsky's characters are not all lunatics – just "incidentally mad", like the rest of us.
–Richard T. Kelly, for The Independet

The Greatest Books rank: 15
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Great! So we still have Hitchhiker, Slaughterhouse, Pride & Prejudice and 1984.
To me the biggest surprise at this stage is "Slaughterhouse 5". Never would have thought it's this popular. This will be the first one I'm going to re-read. Then I'm going to finally read "To Kill A Mockingbird".
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Predictions...

4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. Pride and Prejudice
2. Slaughterhouse-Five
1. 1984

I've read the entire top 4, and voted for them too, so I'm pretty content with this.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

4. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen (1813)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1381 ... 619998.jpg[/imgsize]

Score:

Voters:
StevieFan13 (#2)
prosecutorgodot (#4)
DocBrown (#4)
Chambord (#10)
bonnielaurel (#14)
schaefer.tk (#15)
Nick (#38)
Dexter (#41)

You could not shock her more than she shocks me,
Beside her Joyce seems innocent as grass.
It makes me most uncomfortable to see
An English spinster of the middle class
Describe the amorous effects of 'brass',
Reveal so frankly and with such sobriety
The economic basis of society.
–W.H. Auden

The Greatest Books rank: 16

3. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams (1979)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1475 ... 241798.jpg[/imgsize]

Score:

Voters:
madzong (#1)
Styrofoam Boots (#2)
whuntva (#4)
StevieFan13 (#5)
DaveC (#20)
Nick (#33)
schaefer.tk (#37)
Dexter (#44)

Though the subsequent period of Hitchhiker-mania – by 1984 encompassing two radio series, four novels, a TV series, computer game and three major stage productions – may be over, the phenomenon has proved as indestructible as its constantly reincarnated bit-part character, Agrajag…The franchise even survived the 2001 death of creator Douglas Adams: a film version and three further radio series have appeared within the last five years.
–Marcus O’Dair, for The Guardian

The Greatest Books rank: 299

2. Slaughterhouse-Five – Kurt Vonnegut (1969)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1440319389l/4981.jpg[/imgsize]

Full Title: Slaugherhouse-Five, or The Children’s Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death

Score:

Voters:
Ordinaryperson (#2)
Nick (#4)
Krurze (#5)
Petri (#5)
Styrofoam Boots (#5)
Listyguy (#10)
Dexter (#18)
DaveC (#54)

Kurt Vonnegut knows all the tricks of the writing game. So he has not even tried to describe the bombing. Instead he has written around it in a highly imaginative, often funny, nearly psychedelic story…This problem of Billy's enables Mr. Vonnegut to tell his story fluidly, jumping forward and backward in time, free from the strictures of chronology.
New York Times

The Greatest Books rank: 107

1. Nineteen Eighty-Four – George Orwell (1949)

[imgsize 230x360]https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1504 ... 577857.jpg[/imgsize]

Also Known As: 1984

Score:

Voters:
Listyguy (#1)
Styrofoam Boots (#1)
antonius (#3)
Dexter (#4)
Chambord (#7)
Petri (#7)
Miguel (#7)
Nick (#12)
whuntva (#19)
prosecutorgodot (#31)
bonnielaurel (#40)
schaefer.tk (#46)
DaveC (#92)

Mr. Orwell's analysis of the lust for power is one of the less satisfactory contributions to our enlightenment, and he also leaves us in doubt as to how much he means by poor Smith's "faith" in the people (or "proles"). Smith is rather let down by the 1984 Common Man, and yet there is some insinuation that common humanity remains to be extinguished.
The Guardian

The Greatest Books rank: 20
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

A few final notes:
  • I'll post the entire top 100 in list form, along with the excel sheet with all of the voting information, within a few days
  • I too was surprised when I saw Slaughterhouse Five finish in second place. It makes sense, looking at the voters, but while tabulating I never saw it coming
  • If anyone is interested in any kinds of breakdowns (i.e. "voters of [x] vs voters who didn't vote for [x]" I'm open to suggestions
Now, a few words on my personal (and the forum's) number one:

The sheer domination of 1984 is remarkable. The gap between #1 and #2 isn't seen by a single book on our list until we hit the top 30!

I'm glad to see the forum loves the book, but I didn't expect such an impressive turnout for it. I think it's a combination of the fact that it's one of the most taught books in schools, it has wide appeal to science fiction fans, and I know it has a pretty large uptick in popularity earlier this year after the fallout of the US presidential election. Plus it's a great book.

There are also few books that have permeated culture as much as 1984. Terms like "big brother", "thinkcrime", etc. are as timeless as the book itself. There's a reason my avatar on this forum hasn't changed since my first day here.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

A great rollout! Thanks Listyguy for putting this poll on!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Thanks Listguy for running this. Really good list too. Greatest books would be the better for including it. My only regrets are that George Elliot and Virginia Woolf didn't get much appreciation.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Thanks so much Listyguy! Great poll, great rollout.

I never finished reading Slaughterhouse Five... time to get to it!
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Thanks, ListyGuy, for pulling together this great poll.

A lot of dystopian worlds in the top 50. Is that a product of our times, or of the relative youth of our members?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thank a lot Listyguy, it's appreciated. Great roll-out, enjoyed the ride. Hope this will start a tradition of doing novel polls once every couple of years.

Not so enamoured of the results, but a lot of others obviously are, so that's alright.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Thank you ListyGuy! Very interesting results. And like I said earlier I am going to (try to) read every book inside top 20 (or maybe top 50) that I haven't read yet. So J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter I think I'm going to give you a new chance one day (I read the first book in 2001 and didn't like it that much).
Gillingham wrote: Not so enamoured of the results, but a lot of others obviously are, so that's alright.
Wow you didn't vote for a single book in top 10. How many have you read of them by the way?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Only four, of which:
1. I wasn't impressed by 1984. Yes, it's very influential indeed, but I didn't like the style (which is very important for me) and knew all about it's legacy which probably didn't help it either. Read it quite a long time ago, but it isn't a book in which you can 'miss' a lot as it's all quite out in the open compared to some other literature. And I do like science fiction by the way.
2. I do like Slaughterhouse-Five, which was just outside my top 50.
6. Also disappointed by Crime and Punishment with very high expectations. I suspect quite a bit of it is lost in translation, unfortunately can't read Russian.
10. The Catcher in the Rye is certainly good and a very important novel. Didn't make my top 50 though.

Of the other six:
3. I would definitely like to read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, but I was VERY surprised to see it end this high. I expect some good laughs and am willing to be surprised by it's impact.
4. I've read Sense and Sensibility, which I thought was pretty good but a bit repetitive as well. I know Pride and Prejudice is generally regarded as the better book, so will read it at some point.
5. Probably won't read The Brothers Karamazov any time soon because of my experience with Crime and Punishment. Maybe some day.
7. To Kill a Mockingbird is very high on my to-read list, probably the first out of the top 10 books I haven't read that I will get to. Pretty soon I guess.
8. Don't feel the urge to read Animal Farm. I know the story, which is interesting enough, but Orwell's style is just not very much to my liking.
9. Although I'm not very familiar with the acclaimed graphic novels, I will read Watchmen some time. Definitely after Maus though. Don't really know what to expect of comic book style in serious form, will be interesting.

I've read four more out of the next five. And only Fear and Loathing Las Vegas of those made my top 50, if only just. Some of my personal favorites are lower in the list, but there are also some choices I can't really understand, like The Hobbit, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, High Fidelity (alright, maybe on this forum...) and Never Let Me Go (Nobel prize or not. Although it's at least better than The Buried Giant!). Also Harry Potter, although I'm not in a positions to judge that since I haven't read any of the books. Give me AMF's music or film tastes over it's literature tastes any day. ;)

There are so many books to read, so I have to be picky about what to read. Did gain some great recommendations that are on my to read list now though. And enjoyed this anyway.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Thank you Listyguy! Very smooth roll-out and excellent presentation. Though there are surprises (Top 5 for Hitchhiker!), as a whole I like the rankings. I too have some books here to read, the one which placed highest is 'The Master and Margarita.'
Duncan Thaw
Start Me Up

Post by Duncan Thaw »

A little disappointed to see my own favourite, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, miss out. I didn't take part because there are so many of the big classics I haven't read - I might have been more tempted if the format had been us all ranking the same 100 books in order (as far as each of us were able), but I certainly enjoyed reading the results.

I'd echo a couple of Gillingham's thoughts - High Fidelity's actually a favourite of mine but it seems to have done a LOT better on this forum than it would have done elsewhere. And while recognising the importance of 1984, I wouldn't put a book as stylistically flawed as that near my #1. Animal Farm, although less ambitious, is far better realised in my view.
"I may not hope from outward forms to win/The passion and the life, whose fountains are within."
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks, ListyGuy. I voted for six books in the top 10, so I'm quite positive about the result. Three scifi books (more or less) in the top 3 is a bit much, but in general this list contains a lot of true classics. The biggest missing name is probably Graham Greene, but that might be due to split voting. I'm glad to see Agatha Christie too, who's often missing in official canons. The Russian classics have a good placement as well. Finally I was surprised to see a few titles that I hadn't heard of, but I've put those on my reading list.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

As promised, here is the full list, and the excel sheet is attached:

1. Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell
2. Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
4. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
5. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
6. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
7. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
8. Animal Farm - George Orwell
9. Watchmen - Alan Moore and David Gibbons
10. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
11. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
12. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
13. Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
14. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
15. Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling
16. The Trial - Franz Kafka
17. The Lord of the Rings Series - J.R.R. Tolkien
18. Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse
19. Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes
20. The Road - Cormac McCarthy
21. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
22. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
23. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
24. Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
25. The Stranger - Albert Camus
26. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
27. His Dark Materials Series - Philip Pullman
28. Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
29. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
30. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
31. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
33. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
34. High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
35. Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse
36. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
37. Perfume - Patrick Susking
38. Neuromancer - William Gibson
39. The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
40. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
41. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
42. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
43. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
44. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
45. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie
46. Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry
47. Clous Atlas - David Mitchell
48. Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
49. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
50. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
51. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
52. Ficciones/Labyrinths - Jorge Luis Borges
53. American Pyscho - Bret Easton Ellis
54. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - John le Carre
55. Journey to the End of the Night - Louis-Ferdinand Celine
56. New York Trilogy - Paul Auster
57. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
58. The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
59. Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
60. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
61. Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth
62. Tess of the d'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
63. Ulysses - James Joyce
64. Hunger - Knut Hamsun
65. The Elementary Particles - Michel Houellebecq
66. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
67. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
68. Hamlet - William Shakespeare
69. A Canticle For Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller Jr.
70. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
71. On the Road - Jack Kerouac
72. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon
73. The Shining - Stephen King
74. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
75. The Plague - Albert Camus
76. If on a Winter's Night a Traveller - Italo Calvino
77. The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoevsky
78. The Makioka Sisters - Jun'ichiro Tanizaki
79. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
80. Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
81. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
82. Battle Royale - Koushun Takami
83. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
84. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
85. Millennium Series - Stieg Larsson
86. Why We Took the Car - Wolfgang Herrndorf
87. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
88. Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
89. Ubik - Philip K. Dick
90. The Odyssey - Homer
91. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
92. Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
93. Sentimental Education - Gustave Flaubert
94. The World of Yesterday - Stefan Zweig
95. Narcissus and Goldmund - Hermann Hesse
96. 2666 - Roberto Bolano
97. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
98. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
99. The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
100. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

And here are the top 10 authors, by number of points their books received:

1. George Orwell (1172.32)
2. Fyodor Dostoevsky (1025.66)
3. Cormac McCarthy (664.3)
4. Hermann Hesse (629.22)
5. Leo Tolstoy (601.3)
6. Kurt Vonegut (579.81)
7. Charles Dickens (573.99)
8. Franz Kafka (533.9)
9. Agatha Christie (527.16)
10. William Shakespeare (527.13)
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thanks Listyguy
Duncan Thaw
Start Me Up

Post by Duncan Thaw »

First and foremost well done to Listyguy for doing a great job with a project of this size.

Surprised not to see a single person vote for Paradise Lost or The Canterbury Tales.
"I may not hope from outward forms to win/The passion and the life, whose fountains are within."
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Very sad I didn't have time to participate in this poll, or read more books these last few months, but glad to see the great turnout and rollout! Great job listyguy
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Would anyone be interested in a followup to this? I've been reading like crazy since last year and figured this could use an update after 3 years?

I also coincidentally started reading Crime and Punishment, which will be my last of this top 10
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

BleuPanda wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:27 pm Would anyone be interested in a followup to this? I've been reading like crazy since last year and figured this could use an update after 3 years?

I also coincidentally started reading Crime and Punishment, which will be my last of this top 10
I'd be on board. I've also been reading a lot this year.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

BleuPanda wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:27 pm Would anyone be interested in a followup to this? I've been reading like crazy since last year and figured this could use an update after 3 years?

Definitely. I guess it is time to get stuck into Moby Dick.

Off the top of my head, new on my list this time will be: Milkman, The Unconsoled, Infinite Jest, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, The Last Samurai.

Most overhyped novel of the past few years has to be The Sellout. Presumably the pundits read the half a dozen (truly) hilarious pages and didn't bother with the rest. Good decision but not the makings of a great novel.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'd absolutely participate in a new edition of this poll! Incidentally, my personal top 10 hasn't changed from 2017, but the 11-20 range is almost entirely new entries.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I would definitely participate in an all-time books poll :D
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I also read Crime and Punishment following this poll 1-2 years ago. I was super-hyped by it being one of the great novels by one of the great authors, but I found it decent at best. The characters were pretty good, but I feel like I've seen loads better characters. The protagonist's arc was also really weird, especially the ending.

Return to “General Discussion”