What would the top spots in an "Acclaimed Television" site look like?

ValenN
Wannabe

What would the top spots in an "Acclaimed Television" site look like?

Post by ValenN »

So I've thought about doing the same thing that Acclaimed Music has done to television shows, but I'm a late-bloomer when it comes to TV, so I've been overwhelmed by the large amount of shows that I've never, ever heard of. Not to mention TV has its own set of headache-inducing problems, for example: anthology-type shows getting their individual episodes ranked alongside entire well-established series. There's also the question of what qualifies as a TV show. Are news programs TV shows? What about single televised events (the Superbowl or Oscars, for instance)? And made-for-TV movies? Late-night talk shows? Documentaries? Golden age cartoons that are often made to look like TV shows, even though they originally occupied a film medium?

After all those headaches, I decided to drop the project. I might return when my wealth of knowledge is greater, but for now I'll just stick to Netflix :whistle:

Anyway, I decided to list off some shows which I believe could occupy the top 100 of a fully-realized Acclaimed Television site. I expect most these shows to make it, though I think the animated shows might have a hard time competing with live-action ones since most general "best TV shows ever" lists tend to ignore them (especially Anime), though the Simpsons might be an exception (and top 10 contender for its influence). On the other hand, Anime might get a big boost from Eastern lists, hmmm...

Each category showcases what I've consistently found in different lists (in alphabetical order). Some categories are a bit wonky and I tried to keep it short. Also, these aren't necessarily what I think are the best (heck, I haven't even watched most of these), and I'm sure there are dozens of great shows that I excluded or I'm forgetting about (poor UK). Like I said, I'm a late-bloomer.

I excluded newer shows like Rick and Morty, One Punch Man, and Stranger Things. Let's wait a few years before we put them alongside longer-running shows. Also, no reality TV cause I hate it ;)

Live Action, Drama
- Breaking Bad
- Game of Thrones
- M*A*S*H
- The Sopranos
- The Wire

Live Action, Comedy/Satire
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Fawlty Towers
- Monty Python's Flying Circus
- Saturday Night Live
- Seinfeld

Live Action, Miniseries
- Band of Brothers
- Planet Earth
- Roots

Live Action, Classic
- Doctor Who
- I Love Lucy
- Law & Order
- Star Trek
- The Twilight Zone
- The X-Files

Animation, Adult
- Daria
- Family Guy
- Futurama
- South Park
- The Simpsons

Animation, Classic
- Astro Boy
- The Flintstones
- The Looney Tunes
- The Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Tom & Jerry

Animation, Modern
- Animaniacs
- Batman: The Animated Series
- DuckTales
- Samurai Jack

Animation, Anime
- Cowboy Bebop
- Death Note
- Dragon Ball Z
- Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Steins;Gate

Animation, OVA
- FLCL
- Hellsing Ultimate
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Feel free to yell at me because of no Invader Zim, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Wolf's Rain, Star Trek: Next Generation, 30 Rock, Twin Peaks, etc.
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Re: What would the top spots in an "Acclaimed Television" site look like?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

JimmyJazz sent me a list of several Best Of lists for TV that I'm trying to work on every night, and it's going to contain 100 TV shows, and while I have made a good amount of progress, it's not even close to be finished, and I think the final date for the whole list will be around mid 2018 or by the of the decade.

Also, welcome.
ValenN
Wannabe

Post by ValenN »

letmeintomyzone wrote:JimmyJazz sent me a list of several Best Of lists for TV that I'm trying to work on every night, and it's going to contain 100 TV shows, and while I have made a good amount of progress, it's not even close to be finished, and I think the final date for the whole list will be around mid 2018 or by the of the decade.

Also, welcome.
Cool. How are animated shows doing so far in rankings?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nel_Valen wrote: Feel free to yell at me because of no Neon Genesis Evangelion
You're asking for it :mrgreen:

No, but you seriously need to watch Future Boy Conan if you didn't already. Look at the name of the director, and you'll understand why instantly. And also, because that's an awesome show.

Another anime that is high on my list of must watch is Serial Experiments Lain, but I didn't get around to watch it yet.

Chauvinist moment (I'm French): Hey, The Mysterious Cities of Gold! Great! Also, I have great memories of the French animated series Code Lyoko. Cool stuff. The Once Upon a Time... educational animated show (or its many different iterations!) was also central in my childhood.

The minimalistic Italian animated series La Linea is hilarious. You have to check it out.

Yeah, I like animation. So what?

Semi-obscure stuff for hipsters: the show Dog City mixing traditional animation and puppetry, created by Jim Henson. It made for interesting shenanigans.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

My list would have to include 'Six Feet Under' and 'Twin Peaks' and would he headed by 'The Wire' .

Serious contenders from the UK: "The Singing Detective", "Line of Duty", "Utopia", "Yes Minister" and "Father Ted".
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

While I'm no expert (I haven't owned a TV in twenty years) I always thought documentary was the format best suited to the small screen. Sixty Minutes, its Canadian cousin W5, Frontline, Wild Kingdom.

Return to “General Discussion”