Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian

Post by BleuPanda »

Another major release. I remember when this was announced back when I was 13. 10 years in the making. It's getting reviews in the mid-80s, well below the series usual but above the last main installment. I was expecting mid-to-high 70s on Metacritic, so I'm actually allowing myself to be excited again...

Too bad I just started up Silent Hill 2, am in the middle of Pokemon Moon, and also have Civilization VI to fully explore...

The Last Guardian, another game announced back in 2006, is supposed to be released next week. It's weird how my hype completely sputtered out for these games. I thought it would come back as they neared release, but I'm also aware that a 10 year development time can be a bad sign.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian

Post by Nassim »

Yeah I wasn't too sure why I preordered FF XV but the first reviews are quite comforting! I'll receive it pretty much the same day as Civ VI though (I would normally download it on steam, but black friday offers for the CD version was too good to pass). I was going to end a bit for Civ VI too but watching Many a True Nerd videos made me very impatient.
I highly recommend this guys videos by the way, his various Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 video series are awesome, he does "no gun", "survival mode", "no healing", "Kill everything" and he is a very funny guy...

I still have God of War III to beat (though I might pass... the double jump is killing the game for me and boss battles seem to get easier as it goes... seriously the first 2 were by far the hardest, though I still have to see the final one).
Also have all the Fallout 4 DLCs to tackle, 3 DS games ongoing, probably a dozen games on steam I have barely or never touched (would need to reinvest time on Valkyria Chronicles because I was enjoying that quite a lot).
Some I might never go back too though, didn't understand much about Europa Universalis IV... though I guess youtube could help me with that.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian

Post by Jirin »

I'm about 3 hours into Final Fantasy XV. I'm still giving it a chance but not too enamored so far.

I like the characters and I think it's interesting how they are fusing fantasy settings with modern American.

But there's all kinds of weird incongruities between what the premise is and how I'm spending my time, and all that's happened so far is I'm moving from point A to point B while people order me on errands, and all the errands are 'Kill these random things and come back'. There's no urgency at all to the story, and so far the combat is rather simple and unstrategic.

And I get why they tried to make the game more like a Western styled RPG like Fallout or Elder Scrolls, but I think they sacrificed too much of their own identity to do so.

Return to “General Discussion”