2016 U.S. Presidential Election

Who are you voting for in 2016 U.S. Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Donald Trump
17%
Hillary Clinton
50%
Gary Johnson
11%
Jill Stein
17%
Evan McMullin
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 18

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: 2016 U.S. Presidential Election

Post by Moonbeam »

I'll share what I posted on Facebook:

I’m finding it difficult to not feel dismayed by this result. I won’t disparage anyone their right to vote for whichever candidate they see fit, and I accept that the vision of America that Trump has painted throughout the campaign is appealing enough to a large enough section of the country to put him in the Oval Office (though it looks like he will lose the popular vote).

Nonetheless, I am crestfallen in the knowledge that a campaign so reliant on language which has continually marginalized groups who have struggled for the right to equal opportunities and equal treatment under the law has succeeded so widely. These tactics aren’t new to presidential campaigns, but I don’t recall them ever being so brazen, and as such, it’s easy to see why so many are taking this loss so personally; that’s what toying with the idea that all Muslims should have to carry some sort of identification to identify them as such, questioning the ability of a judge due to his Mexican ancestry, vulgar and shaming comments about women, and other assorted jabs at the already vulnerable will do.

On top of fomenting these isms and phobias, Trump has also helped to spread a dangerous suspicion of science and intelligence in general. That his election gives some sort of credibility to the wild conspiracy theories he has embraced is distressing. Backed by a Republican House and Senate, I fear for the seemingly inevitable roadblocks placed in front of the scientific breakthroughs that will be necessary to address the challenges that face our planet.

I suppose such viewpoints go hand in hand with a campaign slogan that encourages the country to rewind the clock. Unfortunately, we don’t have to rewind very far to get to a time when oppression against women, gays, and non-whites was both commonplace and completely swept under the rug. Or a time when mental illnesses and disabilities were viewed with even more contempt than they are today. Or a time when immunizations weren’t around to lower child mortality rates and raise life expectancies.

I can only pray that he has good counsel and that there is some genuine attempt to mend the wounds that seem to more deeply polarize the country. Nonetheless, with the course of his campaign and how unpredictable he seems, it’s not surprising to me that the ratio of scared to excited voters at the prospect of a Trump presidency in exit polls is 3 to 1.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I've been avoiding this topic because frankly talking about it makes me really angry and this is a happy place.

I know, not all Trump supporters are racist. Probably not more than a third or so. But whenever I have a discussion with a Trump supporter who is not racist, they rationalize away all the racist things he's said and done. "Trump doesn't endorse the KKK, he can't control if the KKK endorses him". Yet, he has appointed openly racist people, who started organizations dedicated to racism in some cases, to his cabinet. He has not once come out and told people "Don't beat up Muslims in my name, that's wrong." All of this they explain away and attribute his apparent racism to a liberal conspiracy.

They know they need the votes of racist people to win elections so they happily 'See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' about racism.

They also tote the Fox news line about the motivations of liberals. People aren't mad about pussy grabbing because he described sexual assault, they're just being super PC and riled up about the word pussy! Black lives matter protestors aren't worried about black people being disproportionately the target of police aggression in the same situations, they just love seeing cops get murdered! Protestors? Oh, they're all violent thugs, they need to shower and stop whining and get a job. They have the same obnoxious stereotyping of the liberal side as the liberals who act like all Trump supporters are racist.

I really hope that if Trump really does try to start a Muslim registry or have mass deportations, they stop rationalizing and own their choice to support a racist.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jirin wrote:He has not once come out and told people "Don't beat up Muslims in my name, that's wrong."
I feel like that

Return to “General Discussion”