Revolutionary Girl Utena

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I wanted to start a thread about one of my favorite anime series, only matched by Cowboy Bebop, namely Revolutionary Girl Utena. There are about 36 episodes. I am wondering if some other members of the forum have watched it.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is about the eponymous heroine Utena Tenjou, who moves into the Ohtori Academy looking for the "prince" she met when she was quite young, and ends up getting caught up in a series of duels (with magical swords) with her classmates. The series delves into human nostalgia, behavior and relationships. The easiest concept to grasp, though is probably the obsessiveness that the kids have about "World Revolution," which to me is really about "the ideal world that you want to live in."

I think the series has brilliant metaphorical meanings, symbolism, and complexities weaved into the storytelling, for example with the Shadow Girls that come in every episode to provide a funny skit.

Another standout aspect of the show is the soundtrack! Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... F2CAA19C3B
It is a very diverse selection of music, ranging from swing music to opera, from hard rock to sweet classical. One of my personal favorite music clips features a harpsichord ("Nemuro Kinenkan").

Some people get turned off by the show because maybe the art isn't the best, or the fact that the studio was so poor that they repeat a few clips in every single episode (I mean that, every episode). Also, the show is kind of insane, and one may laugh (or cringe) at the kinds of things the show decides to include. The first season is a bit slow, especially compared to the chaotic and confusing 3rd season (which is the best season). However, if you can get past these things, and try to develop your own theories and interpretations, I think this is a very rewarding show.

If you have never watched it, I urge you to check it out!
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Post by BleuPanda »

One of my friends has been trying to convince me to watch it. We showed one episode at our film/television club and it didn't hold my interest, but maybe I need to give it another chance.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

I just realized there's now a common interest I have in "Kids Fighting Each Other." I don't think I intended that. Maybe it was subconscious...? *gulp* I swear I'm not crazy. At least Utena doesn't involve actual death.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I've been recently getting into anime a bit so I'll be sure to add it to my list. I liked Cowboy Bebop, which you said is your favorite anime, though I didn't exactly love it. Is this similar in tone?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Nick wrote:I've been recently getting into anime a bit so I'll be sure to add it to my list. I liked Cowboy Bebop, which you said is your favorite anime, though I didn't exactly love it. Is this similar in tone?
No, it's way different. People often use the tag "magical girl anime" for this one, but I don't think this quite fits, as it is a lot darker than say, something like Sailor Moon. There is a witch, a magical castle, but it's more a dark look at the classic fairytale. So you can probably tell this is not like Bebop.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Nick wrote:I've been recently getting into anime a bit so I'll be sure to add it to my list. I liked Cowboy Bebop, which you said is your favorite anime, though I didn't exactly love it. Is this similar in tone?
No, it's way different. People often use the tag "magical girl anime" for this one, but I don't think this quite fits, as it is a lot darker than say, something like Sailor Moon. There is a witch, a magical castle, but it's more a dark look at the classic fairytale. So you can probably tell this is not like Bebop.
Awesome, well I'll be sure to check it out. After a half dozen other animes I have to watch beforehand...
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I do like this show. The showrunner was a writer of Sailor Moon and it shows. He called it "the female Evangelion", which is accurate. Though there is more to it than that.

The best way I can describe it is this show takes everything about storytelling and anime/fairy tale tropes that annoy you...and spins them on their head. From the cliche setup to stock footage to the character archetypes, everything is deliberate and the arrangement makes it feel more "real". It does deconstruct ideas, but also creates new ones, including statements on love in all forms, gender identity, and the reliability of memory.

However, marathoning it can be a chore to the new viewer because use of stock footage can be very tedious if you see it multiple times per day. Also, don't skip the clip episodes, as two of the three have twists setting up the next story arc.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

whuntva wrote:I do like this show. The showrunner was a writer of Sailor Moon and it shows. He called it "the female Evangelion", which is accurate. Though there is more to it than that.

The best way I can describe it is this show takes everything about storytelling and anime/fairy tale tropes that annoy you...and spins them on their head. From the cliche setup to stock footage to the character archetypes, everything is deliberate and the arrangement makes it feel more "real". It does deconstruct ideas, but also creates new ones, including statements on love in all forms, gender identity, and the reliability of memory.

However, marathoning it can be a chore to the new viewer because use of stock footage can be very tedious if you see it multiple times per day. Also, don't skip the clip episodes, as two of the three have twists setting up the next story arc.
Nice to hear your thoughts, whuntva! I think it was your birthday just this week, so Happy Belated!
I remember I always used to just pick up the remote and get ready to fast-forward as soon as I heard that cowbell (?) that starts the Climbing-the-Stairs sequence haha. :mrgreen:
Two episodes I especially love are the two Ruka episodes. That guy was cool as a cucumber, but boy did he suffer.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
whuntva wrote:I do like this show. The showrunner was a writer of Sailor Moon and it shows. He called it "the female Evangelion", which is accurate. Though there is more to it than that.

Nice to hear your thoughts, whuntva! I think it was your birthday just this week, so Happy Belated!
I remember I always used to just pick up the remote and get ready to fast-forward as soon as I heard that cowbell (?) that starts the Climbing-the-Stairs sequence haha. :mrgreen:
Two episodes I especially love are the two Ruka episodes. That guy was cool as a cucumber, but boy did he suffer.
Off by two months (was two months ago), but it's the thought that counts. Thank you!

It is hard for me to pick a singular favorite. Like most anime and even some American shows (Breaking Bad, Mr. Robot, etc.) blend together and tell just a standalone story. I guess the Black Rose episodes were my favorite due to the psychological aspect though. But I did like Ruka.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Return to “General Discussion”