Video Game Discussion

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Video Game Discussion

Post by BleuPanda » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Since this board is generally underused, I think it would be a waste to make a new topic with each game. Use this topic to just discuss whatever, games you're hyped for, games you've been playing, etc.

I've been doing a top 250 video game project on another forum like the one here. I've posted the results in a blog post here:
https://casanovazelos.wordpress.com/201 ... /b8top250/

Unfortunately those boards don't archive anything and topics disappear after a couple days, so I'll have to find a place to save the results.

Additionally, this could be a good place to share names if any of us would like to join each other for an online game.

Steam: FoolFantastic
PSN: CasanovaZelos
(I'll add Nintendo when I can doublecheck what it is, and I might need to doublecheck the spacing on these)

I've currently been in a big Souls mood, currently playing through the Bloodborne DLC because I can't wait for DS3 next week.
Last edited by BleuPanda on Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Video Game Discussion

Post by BleuPanda » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 pm

In other news, I got one of my friends to play through Life is Strange, partially because I wanted to go through the story again without having the benefit of knowing where each choice would lead. It was an interesting experience; you know gaming has come along as a medium when someone can be brought to tears multiple times by a single game. The game really does a perfect job questioning the idea of choice, and the key feature of allowing you to rewind every decision to see each possible outcome makes finally choosing so much harder.

Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nassim » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Added you in Steam ! (will add you on PSN too when I will have moved back to my appartment who had heavy work done on the past 3 weeks).

One of the disadvantages of finally having a steady relationship is that I have less time for video games (and series) so I'm not playing much this days,though I beat Until Dawn a couple months ago (fun but most of your choices don't have that much impact on the story in the end) and the first Uncharted game (got the trilogy on PS4) which I found a bit boring, but pretty much every review says the 2nd is the best. Also finished Arkham Knight, as much fun as usual, the batmobile is not as annoying as I had read, it's even fun at times, though the game might rely a bit too much on it... still, great story telling, a fitting end (or is it ? ) to a great series of game.
I was contemplating dusting my 3DS for Hyrule Warriors but most reviews says you need a new 3ds, so I'll wait for the new Fire Emblem instead.

And I think I still have almost a dozen Steam games still waiting for me to play !!!

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:42 pm

Dark Souls 3 is pretty kickass. I'm breezing through it, though, which means the challenge of this series is starting to wear off through experience. Luckily the challenge has never been the main draw for me (I've always preferred the level design and the smooth gameplay).

I have Bravely Second arriving today, hopefully less tedious than the first. Star Fox Zero is next week but I want to wait on reviews before committing to such a short game.

JimmyJazz
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by JimmyJazz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:01 am

Hey Bleu, from one Soulsborne fan to another, as a quick conversation, what are your favorite bosses from the games? For me, they are one of the biggest draws to From's game design, alongside lore, level design, and the challenge (when it is fair!).

Top fives from each game (including DS3):

Demon's Souls:
Maidan Astraea
Flamelurker
Allant (the actual fight, not the stupid frog blob in a puddle thing)
The Old Monk
Storm King

Dark Souls 1:
Artorias
Smough & Ornstein
Manus
Kalameet
Gwyn
Sif (Cheated here, I know!)

Dark Souls 2:
Sir Alonne
Ivory King
Fume Knight
Sinh
Dark Lurker

Bloodborne:
Maria
Gehrman
Orphan of Kos
Ludwig
Gascoigne
Logarius (cheated again, but I really feel this game had the best boss roster, even more than DS3)

DS3:
Nameless King
Soul of Cinder
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
Abyss Watchers
Lothric

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 pm

I still need to play Demon's Souls and finish Dark Souls 2, but for the other games (I think I'm going more off style than anything else):

Dark Souls (haven't played DLC):
Ornstein & Smough
Gwyn
Sif
Crossbreed Priscilla
Four Kings

Bloodborne (halway through DLC; haven't beaten Laurence or Orphan of Kos):
Shadow of Yharnam
Maria
Father Gascoigne
Gehrman
Amygdala

Dark Souls 3 (I actually beat the entirety of NG+ in a single sitting yesterday...):
Abyss Watchers
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
Lothric
Nameless King
Pontiff Sulyvahn

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Also, Dark Souls 3 location rank:
Lothric Castle
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
Undead Settlement
Archdragon Peak
High Wall of Lothric
Cathedral of the Deep
Anor Londo
Untended Graves
Road of Sacrifices
Grand Archives
Catacombs of Carthus
Farron Keep
Profaned Capital
Consumed King's Garden
Smouldering Lake/Demon Ruins
Cemetary of Ash
Irithyll Dungeon

Irithyll Dungeon is the only place I straight up don't like, everything else works.

whuntva
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by whuntva » Tue May 03, 2016 2:06 am

I don't know if anyone would be interested in Overwatch here, but I signed up for the Open Beta on May 5.

I may just be into it because I was a fan of its spiritual predecessor TF2.

If you PM me, we can swap IDS and maybe play together.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nassim » Tue May 03, 2016 12:17 pm

whuntva wrote:I don't know if anyone would be interested in Overwatch here, but I signed up for the Open Beta on May 5.

I may just be into it because I was a fan of its spiritual predecessor TF2.

If you PM me, we can swap IDS and maybe play together.
As a huge Borderlands fan, I'll start on the Battleborn team ! But I wouldn't be surprised if Overwatch ended up the most popular of the two (or even the best).

whuntva
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by whuntva » Fri May 06, 2016 6:53 pm

So I've been playing the beta, and I noticed someone on my server was named PandaBleu. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

I die a lot, but it is a fun game. There was one time I encountered a glitch that left me in a state of perpetual motion. It made me terrible at surprise attacks, but was great at pushing the cart.

My best class seems to be Pharah, though I have had success with Reaper.

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Fri May 06, 2016 7:08 pm

That's...interesting. Definitely wasn't me. I wonder how two people could come up with such a specific but meaningless set of words.

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Pokemon Sun and Moon's starters and legendaries were revealed today, along with a November 18th US release date (and 23rd in the UK). I'm 90% sure I'll take the grass starter, though evolutions might change my opinion.

Anyone else here play the series? I've always been a fan of ranking Pokemon from each generation, though I'm assuming there's not a big enough base here for that specific of a poll.

whuntva
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by whuntva » Wed May 11, 2016 4:25 am

BleuPanda wrote:Pokemon Sun and Moon's starters and legendaries were revealed today, along with a November 18th US release date (and 23rd in the UK). I'm 90% sure I'll take the grass starter, though evolutions might change my opinion.

Anyone else here play the series? I've always been a fan of ranking Pokemon from each generation, though I'm assuming there's not a big enough base here for that specific of a poll.
I like Pokemon. A lot actually. It's something that's always been there for me and only gets better with age.

I like all gens, though I think Gen VI has been the one that fixed the flaws of all gens prior, therefore I like it best.

I might do a Pokemon poll if you're up for it.

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Wed May 11, 2016 3:34 pm

I also bought Uncharted 4 yesterday, but I'm too caught up finishing Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix...

luney6
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by luney6 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:25 am

whuntva wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Pokemon Sun and Moon's starters and legendaries were revealed today, along with a November 18th US release date (and 23rd in the UK). I'm 90% sure I'll take the grass starter, though evolutions might change my opinion.

I like Pokemon. A lot actually. It's something that's always been there for me and only gets better with age.

I like all gens, though I think Gen VI has been the one that fixed the flaws of all gens prior, therefore I like it best.

I might do a Pokemon poll if you're up for it.
I too like the games. Sometimes I even play on competitive simulators like smog on.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Sweepstakes Ron
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Thu May 12, 2016 1:34 pm

I also greatly enjoy Pokémon. I pre-ordered Pokémon Moon and I'm looking toward the Water-type starter.
"Music is powerful, man. It speaks to a primal pit in our brains. It makes anyone want to get up and get their knees going!"
— Jake the Dog

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Thu May 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Maybe we should try a Pokemon poll. Start with a ranking of Generation I Pokemon?

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 pm

I finally finished with that video game poll from the other forum I use. I think it's a solid list, though pretty JRPG heavy, especially at the top. If you want to check it out, find it here:
https://casanovazelos.wordpress.com/201 ... /b8top250/

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:53 pm

It's E3 time!

Unfortunately, I've always leaned towards Nintendo, and, well, they haven't been at the top of their game for a few years. Not even having a full presentation this year...

I always get hyped for this event, but outside of things like Smash Bros., Kingdom Hearts, and a few other series close to my heart, I've realized a lot of big games don't excite me until I'm actually sitting down and playing them. But I always tune in with the hopes that one of my long-forgotten favorites will finally return (the biggest wish is an American release of Mother 3...).

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Also, unrelated to E3, I (obviously) just played through the Danganronpa series. I really loved their take on the Phoenix Wright formula. The second game especially is outstanding; it's rare for a game to manage such a large cast of characters, but, in the end, I think only 2 of the 16 characters were expendable. The twists and turns are strong, and a few moments actually hurt to play through (the final two cases of the second game especially). I would definitely recommend, especially if you're into either the Phoenix Wright or Battle Royale formula.

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 pm

The last game in the Zero Escape trilogy came out yesterday; it is killer so far. Its narrative structure is phenomenal.

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:16 pm

For the first time since the first generation, I have completed a Pokedex (sans event Pokemon). Aurorus brought me to 713 Pokemon in Omega Ruby; 8 event Pokemon remain, but the games themselves don't count them toward the total.

Sweepstakes Ron
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:12 pm

BleuPanda wrote:For the first time since the first generation, I have completed a Pokedex (sans event Pokemon). Aurorus brought me to 713 Pokemon in Omega Ruby; 8 event Pokemon remain, but the games themselves don't count them toward the total.
Seen, or caught?
"Music is powerful, man. It speaks to a primal pit in our brains. It makes anyone want to get up and get their knees going!"
— Jake the Dog

BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by BleuPanda » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:For the first time since the first generation, I have completed a Pokedex (sans event Pokemon). Aurorus brought me to 713 Pokemon in Omega Ruby; 8 event Pokemon remain, but the games themselves don't count them toward the total.
Seen, or caught?

Caught.

Sweepstakes Ron
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:28 pm

I plan to complete the Pokédex (caught) for Pokémon Moon. But it won't be a living Pokédex, so I'm willing to trade away rare Pokémon as soon as I obtain them.
— Jake the Dog

Janet B Baumbach
Superunknown

Post by Janet B Baumbach » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:18 am

Not many discussion here... Currently being interested in Fortnite, World of Warcraft, Red Dead Redemption 2, Mantigames’ Subway Surfers, and Zombs Royale.

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Since I reached the peak of my abilities in Celeste I haven't gotten super drawn into anything. I decided to start a Dragon Quest IV game because the old DQ games are historically important games I never played. And I started Ys VIII: Tales of Dana, I mean Lacrimossa of Dana.

Plus I've been trying to play a bunch of other old classics I either never played or haven't played since I was a kid.

The new games that interest me are mostly either JRPGs, indie platformers and Nintendo first party games. The kind of adventure games that are popular I can recognize as great games but I have little or no interest in playing them due to hating their reward structure.

Those kinds of games I am more inclined to watch on the Internet than play, so I can experience the story but don't have to deal with the slow attrition of trophy stuffs as opposed to skill and strategy the games tend to entail.