AMF Top 100 TV Series of All Time

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

AMF Top 100 TV Series of All Time

Post by letmeintomyzone »

I decided to do this after viewing so many polls on various things, and thought it would be interesting to handle a poll for TV series.

Submit your top 10 TV series, and then, I'll count up the votes next month.

The point formula is as follows:
1. 100 points
2. 90 points
3. 80 points
4. 70 points
5. 60 points
6. 50 points
7. 40 points
8. 30 points
9. 20 points
10. 10 points
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Re: AMF Top 100 TV Series of All Time

Post by Maschine_Man »

Only 10! How will I decide on only 10! :o
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Are miniseries eligible? Also what specific date you want it by, and also do you want us to PM our lists to you or post it here?
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Post by letmeintomyzone »

babydoll wrote:Are miniseries eligible? Also what specific date you want it by, and also do you want us to PM our lists to you or post it here?
1. Yes
2. Submit in thread
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Maschine_Man wrote:Only 10! How will I decide on only 10! :o
Yeah I think top 50 (or top 100) would be better. :)

What about different "seasons" of mini-series (like This is England '86, This Is England '88, Riget I, Riget II, Heimat, Die Zweite Heimat.) Even the seasons of Black Adder are separately on IMDb. :? I think mini-series with many seasons should be one series (of course stuff like The Band of Brothers and Pacific should be considered separately (Pacific is definitely not the second season of Band of Brothers imo).
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

And Choosing a formula with only ten does not produce a concise Top 100. Basically the bottom half would all be tied.

Awhile ago I told him (or her; I guess it could be a her) about the possibility of a co-host. There could be someone to use a different version of the formula to calculate more. So if Letmeintomyzone wants to host the poll, s/he can still handle the presentation.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Petri wrote:
Maschine_Man wrote:Only 10! How will I decide on only 10! :o
Yeah I think top 50 (or top 100) would be better. :)

What about different "seasons" of mini-series (like This is England '86, This Is England '88, Riget I, Riget II, Heimat, Die Zweite Heimat.) Even the seasons of Black Adder are separately on IMDb. :? I think mini-series with many seasons should be one series (of course stuff like The Band of Brothers and Pacific should be considered separately (Pacific is definitely not the second season of Band of Brothers imo).
Yes, it should be 50 or 100. If it's an all-time poll and mini-series count, then 10 wouldn't be much.

I agree that mini-series with multiple seasons should count as one series (e.g. BBC's "House of Cards" and "To Play the King"). I'm not sure about series like "Blackadder". There was four years between the first and second series, and most people will agree that the first series wasn't the best. I wouldn't mind if it counted as one series, I don't know what others think. Spin-offs should count separately, e.g. "Frasier" vs. "Cheers". I guess "The Pacific" would count as a spin-off, or "companion piece" according to Wikipedia.

I think non-fiction shows like "60 minutes" and quizzes should be excluded, because they're hard to compare to fiction and because they hardly have an international audience.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

bonnielaurel wrote:I'm not sure about series like "Blackadder". There was four years between the first and second series, and most people will agree that the first series wasn't the best. I wouldn't mind if it counted as one series, I don't know what others think.
When I saw Black Adder all four seasons (or should I say series) were broadcasted in a row (one episode per week). Later I bought a DVD-Box that contained all four seasons (series) + some extra episodes (christmas special etc). I agree that the first season was the weakest but it never came to my mind before I noticed it on IMDb that the different seasons could be actually treated as different series (there are same characters, same actors, same name of the series...). So I think it is a one series. I mean the seasons of The Wire (4-2-1-3-5 seasons from the best to the least best) (which going to be my #1) differs much more from each others than seasons of Black Adder. But yeah I agree that spin-offs can be treated as own series (Better Call Saul seasons are not extra seasons of Breaking Bad etc.)
bonnielaurel wrote: I think non-fiction shows like "60 minutes" and quizzes should be excluded, because they're hard to compare to fiction and because they hardly have an international audience.
I'm not going to vote for stuff like 60 minutes or any quizshows (although I have liked many of them) but if someone wants to vote for them I have nothing against that. But I agree that "they hardly have an international audience" and in a way doesn't belong to list like this.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

^ But I have no idea, as I'm watching something, if it has an international audience or not, let alone would it give me concern. Also, there can be any kinds of media where something wasn't a success or wasn't pushed internationally, yet not everything's going to be a blockbuster like Doctor Who or Harry Potter. In fact, local programming in one's own city, so alien now, used to make up a large percentage of television programming. You ask anyone from Arizona my age or older "Who is the most beloved person or set of people from Arizona," chances are you'd hear them mention the two performers of a 35-year-long kids' show that was run here. There are inherent limitations in this poll -- anyone, for that matter, voting for Your Show of Shows, Entertainment Weekly's #10 all-time favorite show, that stopped running in 1954? -- but you might as well vote for whatever you want, even if it doesn't place high.

As for non-fiction, such as David Letterman or Johnny Carson's shows, Monday Night Football, pseudo-reality shows like American Idol, etc., if you're watching every week, that's worth something.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Live in Phoenix wrote: As for non-fiction, such as David Letterman or Johnny Carson's shows, Monday Night Football, pseudo-reality shows like American Idol, etc., if you're watching every week, that's worth something.
Yeah I agree that’s definitely worth something. When I was younger the programs I waited the most where some music charts programs (Finnish album chart top 40 etc.) and on the other hand I watched Late Night with Conan O’Brien practically every night for years and liked it a lot (Conan was quite popular in Finland). But I’m still going to exclude those from my own list (you can of course include them if letmeintomyzone is fine with that). The main reason (I don’t include them) is that I consider those non-fiction stuff TV-programs and TV-series means different to me.

By the way letmeintomyzone any news about dead line and maybe expanding to top 50 or top 100?
If you change the scoring system, one option could be Score=600/(5+rank) when #1 would get 100 points, #10 40 points and #25 20 points and #50 10,9 points. I think the scale should be more steep than in movie polls (there are definitely bigger difference between all-time #1 and #50 tv-series than #1 and #50 movies (I guess not so many have watched thousands of tv-series). If you find suggested scale too steep maybe Score=1100/(10+1) would be fine (#1=100 points, #12=50 points, #34=25 points, #50=18,3 points)
Alumbau70
Debut

Post by Alumbau70 »

Time has changed a lot. Earlier we had to wait for our favorite show to air on television but now it is possible to watch each and every show whenever we like and from anywhere in this world. Just like my kids are watching Andy Yeatman Netflix at my sister’s place and they can continue easily there.
ShavonPaule
Only Sixteen

Post by ShavonPaule »

I will vote the Game of Thrones for the first position.

Return to “General Discussion”