Paris Attacks

Henry
Into the Groove

Paris Attacks

Post by Henry »

What a horrible tragedy.

My heart and prayers are with the wounded and the families of those who were killed.

My intellectual response is to search for a solution. Perhaps some modest self-conceived reform of Islam could move us away from continuing violent conflict, especially if it was coupled with more open minds among non-Islamic peoples throughout our world.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Paris Attacks

Post by PlasticRam »

I don't know what you mean by reform. I think peaceful Islamists condemn these attacks, which is obviously the vast majority. We must unite to fight against ISIS.

I think right now Europe is relatively a high-risk area and there ought to be stricter security measures.

Edit: Relatively as in compared to US for example. Obviously the Middle East is a whole other issue.
I feel like that
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Dear French friends: I'm so sorry for the nightmare you're in. I just hope that you and your families are well (within the circumstances).

And about the reflexion that Henry did in the off-topic section (I'm posting on both threads) about a solution, I'm afraid there is none. Not even a war, that it' obviously to what they aim for. They are not only provoking the Western nations, both European and American, but also Russia, Asia and mainly the Muslim nations (two days ago 43 people died in Beirut because of a suicide bomber). This is a war we cannot win (just think of Afghanistan or Irak), every war conflict in these countries generates more fanatism. And religious fanatism is the worst cause of a conflict. Nationalist or ideological wars finally end, changing of the borders or the governments (obviously leaving deep wounds on the people). But religious wars never end because fanatics think that there is a supernatural being that justifies it. Some of us (like Henry) would like to think that education and open minded and moderate governments will end that. But I don't think so, I'm too pessimistic about that.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I just wanted to add my condolences to our French forum members. You’re all in my thoughts, and I hope you are doing as well as possible under the circumstances. I am honored to participate in a global forum like this and my heart breaks for all of you. Thank you to both Pierre and Henry for starting these threads. Tragedies like this have always been difficult for me to deal with, but it does help to read the thoughtful, caring thoughts from the members of this site. (It’s certainly a welcome relief from some of the terrible comments I’ve seen on the news message boards. Seriously, if I want to hold on to any hope for humanity, I need to stop reading those things.) :(
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

PlasticRam - I appreciate and agree with your statement regarding peaceful Islamists who condemn these attacks including that they are the vast majority of Islamic believers.

My concern is with the apparent perversion of faith to justify violence against our fellow man and what steps can be taken to reform major religions including Islam to reduce the chances of power hungry leaders abusing the faith of others to lead attacks against those viewed as impure or otherwise as adversaries.

Honorio -As always your responses are a pleasure to read. You understand my perspective regarding education as being a key to the solution. But, I do not have much confidence in nation states to help us move forward in peace. Instead, my view is that we need non-governmental civil society entities to lead this effort. In my view (probably heavily influenced by US-centric libertarian principles), our world would be better off if civil society entities had scale to challenge multi-national corporations and nation states to drive action for peace and education and against military intervention. The nation state monopoly on sovereign power should be examined thoughtfully as it is clearly being challenged already by the multinational corporations. While the western world has moved away from democracy towards oligarchy, the ability of concerned citizens for peace to be heard has been greatly diminished in my view.

That said, I agree with your view that in the short term, we likely need to deal with ISIS militarily. But, if we do not move on other fronts another violent organization is very likely to replace ISIS within a decade and we will be stuck in and endless and unproductive cycle of repeated violence and death.
caso
Superunknown

Post by caso »

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Caso is a bot who's marketing stuff so he should be banned.
I feel like that
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I hope our Belgian friends are fine. Courage, je pense à vous.

Return to “General Discussion”