Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: Third Gen/1985-1990

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: Third Gen/1985-1990

Post by JimmyJazz »

Welcome, fellow AM gamers, as we celebrate the best that gaming has had to offer, from the early days of the Atari and the golden age of arcades, to the massive open worlds and innovative indie games of today.

The way that this poll will be run is as so:
There will be six mini, generational polls, focused on the 1970s-1984, 1985-1990, 1991-1995, 1996-2000, 2001-2005, and 2006-present (more specific details regarding consoles and PC games will be explained in their respective polls), to find the Top 20s of each period in gaming. Every poll will be held for entire week, opening Sunday mornings and closing Saturday by midnight. After the six weeks, there will be a month (roughly five weeks) of voting to rank the final 120 games, to create an all-time list.

You can have a ballot of any size, but it must have at least five games, and no more than 15 will be factored in.

The point formula is as follows:
1. 50 points
2. 40
3. 30
4. 20
5. 15
6. 10
7. 9
8. 8
9. 7
10. 6
11. 5
12. 4
13. 3
14. 2
15. 1

Also, you can feel free to allot less points for smaller lists, but not more points.

The final 20 will be compiled from the vote.

For this poll, we will be focusing on all Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, and other designated third generation console games, as well as computer and arcade games released between the years 1985-1990, before the "console war" between Nintendo and Sega really took off.

Here is a page for references to games released in this period: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ye ... ideo_games

Let the voting, and inevitable nostalgia for some, begin!
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Re: Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: 1985-1990

Post by Live in Phoenix »

1. Final Fantasy
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Metroid
4. Castlevania
5. Kid Icarus
6. Mega Man
7. Double Dragon (Arcade / NES)
8. Smash TV (Arcade)
9. Super Mario Bros. 3
10. Super Mario Bros.

11. Altered Beast (Arcade)
12. Yie Ar Kung Fu (Arcade)
13. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
14. The Goonies II
15. Dragon Warrior III (1992)

Just some of the Honorable Mentions:
The Adventures of Lolo, Blaster Master, Castlevania II, Déjà Vu, Double Dragon II, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, The Goonies (Arcade), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Arcade), Life Force, Mega Man 2, My Hero, Ninja Gaiden (NES), Peter Pack Rat [if memory serves correctly], Road Runner, Shadowgate, Shinobi, Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Edit: removed Tetris, added Kirby's Adventure.

1. Punch-Out!!
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Mega Man 2
4. The Secret of Monkey Island
5. Mega Man 3
6. Super Mario Bros.
7. The Legend of Zelda
8. Altered Beast
9. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
10. Duck Hunt
11. Kirby's Adventure
12. Metroid
13. Final Fantasy
14. Kid Icarus
15. Zelda II: The Adventures of Link

I hope I have the dates right. How are we dealing with release dates? F-Zero and Super Mario World were released in 1990 in Japan but 1991 elsewhere. Do we go with this poll or the next one for those two?
Last edited by BleuPanda on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

One question, are the voting blocks for console games going to be year driven or gen driven? There's a lot of overlap on the fringes of the gens, and personally I'd rather not have to wikipedia the exact release date of every game. I'd rather be able to say 'NES games go in this group' or 'PS2 games go in this group'. SNES didn't really come out until 1991 or force NES out of homes until 1993.

Super Mario Brothers 3
Megaman 3
Legend of Zelda
Castlevania 3
Megaman 2
Crystalis
Super Mario Brothers 2 (Japanese)/Lost Levels
Super Mario Brothers
Ninja Gaiden 2
Startropics
Contra
Super Mario Brothers 2 (American)/Doki Doki Panic
Kirby's Adventure
Metroid
Final Fantasy
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

In regards to these issues, as I say in the opening post, any NES or Master System games are entirely fine to vote for, irrespective of release date. It is computer and arcade games where these year brackets really apply.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ok, so Bleu and Live now have to edit their lists, since Tetris is officially in the finals. Sorry, guys.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

1. Tecmo Super Bowl
2. SimCity - Has a simplicity and elegance of design that its sequels lacked.
3. Mega Man 2
4. Balance of Power: 1990
5. Super Mario Bros.
6. Sid Meier's Pirates! - I'd much rather play the remake, but the original holds up nicely.
7. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Edit: This vote is for the US version that's a reskin of a different game released in Japan)
8. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9. Prince of Persia
10. The Secret of Monkey Island

11. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar - I wanted to limit my lists to top tens at this point since I rarely play games this old. However, I put Ultima III on my last list and this one is much better so I'm thinking it deserves a vote. Trouble is, I went back and tried to play it over the weekend and I can no longer manage it. Although it has a nice concept and design, the user interface and sprites do not work for me anymore. I also suspect I'm getting too old to play such a long game.
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

All for Amiga.

1. Dungeon Master
2. The Secret of Monkey Island
3. Indiana Jones and the last crusade : the graphic adventure
4. Prince of Persia
5. Rick Dangerous 2
6. Hybris
7. Populous
8. Shadow of the beast
9. Kick Off 2
10. Turrican
11. Double Dragon
12. Fire and Brimstone
13. Blood Money
14. Golden Axe
15. Altered Beast
16. Maupiti Island
17. After burner
18. Unreal
19. Test Drive

It's so pleasant to remember all these sweet memories.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

People who are voting for Super Mario Brothers 2 should probably specify whether they mean the Japanese SMB2 which wasn't released in the US until part of a compilation as 'Lost Levels', or the American SMB2 which was a sprite swap of a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Jirin wrote:People who are voting for Super Mario Brothers 2 should probably specify whether they mean the Japanese SMB2 which wasn't released in the US until part of a compilation as 'Lost Levels', or the American SMB2 which was a sprite swap of a Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic.
I didn't know about this, but do recall the "Lost Levels" thing on an SNES game. That explains why the US Super Mario Bros. 2 is so weird relative to the others in the series.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Also, I think we can all pretty much agree that Punch Out with Mr Dream and Punch Out with Mike Tyson are the same game.

Did anyone ever actually beat Mike Tyson? I was able to last a long time before getting knocked out, but god damn that last fight is hard.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Jirin wrote:Also, I think we can all pretty much agree that Punch Out with Mr Dream and Punch Out with Mike Tyson are the same game.

Did anyone ever actually beat Mike Tyson? I was able to last a long time before getting knocked out, but god damn that last fight is hard.
Yes. Mainly it's about getting past that first minute and a half. Do you have the Tyson code?

But I wasn't quite as good at the arcade game, and never made any headway into the Super Nintendo game. They're almost like puzzle games. (How do you #/%^ing beat this guy?)
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Sid Meier's Pirates
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Ultima IV
5. Mega Man 2 (a tough toss up between this and 3. I love both dearly, but I still slightly prefer 2)
6. R-Type
7. Punch Out
8. The Secret of Monkey Island
9. Castlevania III
10. Super Mario Bros.
11. Contra
12. DuckTales
13. Double Dragon
14. Altered Beast
15. Metroid
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jimmy, is it possible to vote for SNES games yet? Because, as I just discover, the release date of Super Mario World is 1990.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

No, Pierre, this poll only factors in NES games, Master System games, consoles of the Third Generation. The dates in the title specify computer games and arcade games.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:No, Pierre, this poll only factors in NES games, Master System games, consoles of the Third Generation. The dates in the title specify computer games and arcade games.
OK, thanks for clarifying. This whole dates/generations conflict is confusing me a bit.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

JimmyJazz wrote:No, Pierre, this poll only factors in NES games, Master System games, consoles of the Third Generation. The dates in the title specify computer games and arcade games.
Sorry Jimmy ! So, my list is a complete piece of bullshit here ! :?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:
No, Romain, I believe the specific criterion only applies to the NES and Master System. The other systems and computers follow the year brackets.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll: Third Gen/1985-19

Post by Pierre »

1. The Secret of Monkey Island
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Super Mario Bros.
4. Final Fantasy
5. Castlevania III
6. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
7. Mega Man 2
8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
9. Gradius II
10. Darius
11. Mega Man 3
12. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)/Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
13. Contra
14. Minesweeper
15. Prince of Persia

Games I have not played but would be interested to:

Final Fantasy II & III
Phantasy Star I & II
Alex Kidd
Metroid
Ultima IV
Unreal (1990 Ubisoft game)

I know, that's a bunch of Super Mario games up there. But I'm a big fan of most of the Mario games.
As my #1 might hint at, expect a point'n'click galore from me in the following rounds. Platforming and point'n'click are my favourite genres of gaming, followed closely by Japanese RPG.
Last edited by Pierre on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Ok I was 6 in 1990 so I might have biased memories on some of some games (Psycho Fox might not be that good and Alex Kidd in Miracle World probably isn't). Some I discovered later though (obviously I didn't play Maniac Manson when I was 6) but I never really went through this generation, so some classics I have never played like Zelda or Metroid though my main regret for the purpose of this poll is not having tried Mother and Ys: Ancient Ys Vanished.

And don't forget Minesweeper. Sure there's not much to it, but 25 years later I complain I can't find it on the new Windows OS :p

1) Super Mario bros 3
2) Double Dragon
3) Maniac Manson
4) Minesweeper
5) Shinobi
6) Psycho Fox
7) SimCity
8) Mega Man 2
9) Out Run
10) Prince of Persia
11) Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
12) Ghouls n Ghosts
13) Wonder Boy
14) Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
15) Alex Kidd in Miracle World

PS : I didn't vote for Super Mario Land because I considered Game Boy would be 4th gen.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nassim wrote:And don't forget Minesweeper. Sure there's not much to it, but 25 years later I complain I can't find it on the new Windows OS :p
Dang, Minesweeper was 1990? :angry-banghead: Well, JimmyJazz, if Super Mario Land is not valid because of the generation thing, replace my vote for it with Minesweeper :greetings-waveyellow:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Isn't Gameboy part of the NES/Master system gen? Just like Game Gear is part of the SNES/Genesis gen.

I'll always prefer Megaman 3 to Megaman 2 because I think sliding is the last good addition to the basic controls the series ever got, and I think the Doc Robot stages are the best idea the series ever had. I mean, going through a destroyed version of the stages you just went through? Why have they never copied this?

Somebody should make a Gameboy-style parody of 50 Shades of Grey called 4 Shades of Green.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

According to Wikipedia (and most sources I have found) the GameBoy and Game Gear are both 4th Gen, not 3rd Gen. So, it would be advised to remove any GB games, and save them for the next poll. Otherwise would have definitely had Pokemon and Donkey Kong 94 on my list.

Mega Man 2 probably just wins for me because, useful addition as sliding dash was, it also kind of made the game slightly easier IMO (I'm kind of a challenge-oriented gamer, Dark Souls is actually one of my Ten Favorite Games, though I'm not a purist when it comes to that either). 2 just also has that "iconic" vibe, and it had overall better music as well (though long live "Snake Man's Theme" :music-rockon: )
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Jirin wrote:Somebody should make a Gameboy-style parody of 50 Shades of Grey called 4 Shades of Green.
That sounds amazing :mrgreen:
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Romain wrote:
No, don't worry, Romain! Amiga falls into the "computer games" category, so its entirely eligible
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:According to Wikipedia (and most sources I have found) the GameBoy and Game Gear are both 4th Gen, not 3rd Gen. So, it would be advised to remove any GB games, and save them for the next poll. Otherwise would have definitely had Pokemon and Donkey Kong 94 on my list.
Therefore, I edited out Super Mario Land and included Minesweeper.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

JimmyJazz wrote:According to Wikipedia (and most sources I have found) the GameBoy and Game Gear are both 4th Gen, not 3rd Gen. So, it would be advised to remove any GB games, and save them for the next poll. Otherwise would have definitely had Pokemon and Donkey Kong 94 on my list.

Mega Man 2 probably just wins for me because, useful addition as sliding dash was, it also kind of made the game slightly easier IMO (I'm kind of a challenge-oriented gamer, Dark Souls is actually one of my Ten Favorite Games, though I'm not a purist when it comes to that either). 2 just also has that "iconic" vibe, and it had overall better music as well (though long live "Snake Man's Theme" :music-rockon: )
Sliding makes the levels slightly easier only if you don't adjust the levels to take it into account.

And the Doc Robot stages most certainly make them harder. :) I find Megaman 3 to be slightly harder than Megaman 2 on the whole, though Megaman 2 probably has the hardest individual moments between the games.

I guess having 9 E tanks instead of 4 does make the game much easier, but nowadays I usually play 'E tanks not allowed'.

And anyway if your goal is challenge, you should probably be playing Megaman 1.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:It had overall better music as well (though long live "Snake Man's Theme" :music-rockon: )
Hey, JimmyJazz, you're making me wonder, what is your favourite chiptune music?

Although I'm essentially an old-time gamer and a music lover, I have the paradoxal issue of having trouble evaluating and appreciating chiptune music, even if knowing myself it's an issue that will eventually solve itself with repeated listenings, as it did before with other music genres I was initially appalled by. But I would enjoy some places to start (I already have some with that book I wrote down earlier, but individual songs might be a lighter start). I can actually understand why you think SNAKEMAN THEME is good and I'd gladly take other starters if you have some.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Pierre wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:It had overall better music as well (though long live "Snake Man's Theme" :music-rockon: )
Hey, JimmyJazz, you're making me wonder, what is your favourite chiptune music?

Although I'm essentially an old-time gamer and a music lover, I have the paradoxal issue of having trouble evaluating and appreciating chiptune music, even if knowing myself it's an issue that will eventually solve itself with repeated listenings, as it did before with other music genres I was initially appalled by. But I would enjoy some places to start (I already have some with that book I wrote down earlier, but individual songs might be a lighter start). I can actually understand why you think SNAKEMAN THEME is good and I'd gladly take other starters if you have some.
I would be glad to recommend some great video game (particularly retro) tunes!

For VG music, the lists I usually rely on are:
Hardcore Gaming 101 Top 1000 Video Games songs poll from 2011: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

Harcore Gaming 101 Greatest Western Video Game Songs poll from 2011 also: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/wvgm2011.htm

Kotaku Best Video Game Music from the Last Generation, selections in the individual posts: http://kotaku.com/the-best-video-game-m ... 1463218112
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:

Hardcore Gaming 101 Top 1000 Video Games songs poll from 2011: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

Harcore Gaming 101 Greatest Western Video Game Songs poll from 2011 also: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/wvgm2011.htm

Kotaku Best Video Game Music from the Last Generation, selections in the individual posts: http://kotaku.com/the-best-video-game-m ... 1463218112
Thank you Jimmy! That would keep me occupied for a moment (although I have a bit of trouble with the last link, kinda heavy will all the vids embedded).
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Pierre wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:

Thank you Jimmy! That would keep me occupied for a moment (although I have a bit of trouble with the last link, kinda heavy will all the vids embedded).
Yeah, the last link is pretty funky. I can type out a list of the recommendations and send them to you, of course.
Be warned that the Youtube links in the other two lists mostly are defunct, so I would suggest just searching for them instead.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

One more day to get those ballots in for any of those stragglers, as the poll closes at midnight tomorrow!
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

1. Contra (NES)
Best part: Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start. And also that cool spray gun thing.
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
Best part: Working in tandem with a buddy (Luigi) to unlock the new cool worlds and levels.
3. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
Best part: All the teams and players, and wasting a day playing a full season to win the Super Bowl.
4. Rampage (Arcade)
Best part: Sometimes you just want to tear shit up, and expose blond women taking showers.
5. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Best part: Getting the best of all the bad guys, especially the bosses.
6. Shadowgate (Apple Macintosh)
Best part: Playing a game that was so much like the read your own adventure books I used to love as a kid, but with way more options. Keeping lit torches was a pain in the ass though.
7. R-Type (Arcade)
Best part: The super-cool ship and its weapons systems.
8. Gunsmoke (Arcade)
Best part: Playing with a friend where one of us would control the character to avoid gunfire and the other would fire the weapons. Upward scrolling was cool at the time, too.
9. Ghosts ‘n Goblins/Ghouls ‘n Ghosts (Arcade)
Best part: Getting the crossbow and super strong armor.
10. Test Drive (Apple IIe)
Best part: Getting to race all those expensive sports cars you could only dream about in real life.
11. Rampart (Arcade)
Best part: The cool double duty of having to bombard your enemies while at the same time rebuild your own defenses.
12. Excitebike (NES)
Best part: Getting to build your own tracks and go off super-high jumps.
13. The Fool’s Errand (Apple Macintosh)
Best part: The first real puzzle game I played and I was immediately hooked.
14. Golden Axe (Arcade)
Best part: Being able to play with two friends and hack and slash your way through you enemies.
15. Double Dragon (Arcade)
Best part: Just kicking butt with a buddy.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

The poll is officially closed gentlemen.

Here are the results:
[imgsize 290x280]http://199.101.98.242/media/shots/57076 ... %29-11.jpg[/imgsize]

1| Super Mario Bros. 3 / 277 points / 7 votes
2| The Secret of Monkey Island / 124 / 5
3| The Legend of Zelda / 109 / 4
4| Mega Man 2 / 107 / 6
5| Super Mario Bros. / 90 / 7
6| Tecmo Super Bowl / 80 / 2
7| Final Fantasy / 74 / 4
8| Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (or just Punch-Out!!) / 70 / 4
9| Contra / 63 / 4
10| Mega Man 3 / 60 / 3
11| Double Dragon / 58 / 5
12| Sid Meier's Pirates / 50 / 2
13| Dungeon Master / 50 / 1
14| SimCity / 49 / 2
15| Castlevania III / 42 / 3
16| Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure / 38 / 2
17| Metroid / 37 / 4
18| Prince of Persia / 34 / 4
19| Maniac Mansion / 30 / 1
20| Ultima IV: Quest for the Avatar / 25 / 2
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote: Yeah, the last link is pretty funky. I can type out a list of the recommendations and send them to you, of course.
I forgot to answer, don't bother Jimmy, I'll manage. Thanks anyway :)

Return to “General Discussion”