Non-music or film related polls, vote for your choices

Other, non-music and film related polls

Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll
24%
Greatest Fiction of All Time Poll (Novels, Plays, Poetry, Short Stories, etc.)
40%
Greatest TV Shows of All Time Poll
36%

Total votes: 25

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Non-music or film related polls, vote for your choices

Post by JimmyJazz »

So, here we can discuss non-music or film related poll ideas. I have suggestions for a video game, tv show, and fiction related poll.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: Non-music or film related polls, vote for your choices

Post by Nassim »

I'm most interest in video games. I have lots of favorite TV shows but there are far too many I haven't seen while I have at least tried most of the major video games (not necessarily played enough to have a real idea, but still enough to know that they would most likely not make my all time list).
Might be tricky to compile the list with all the variants of the same game (should super street fighter II be separated from street fighter II for instance) and the games with the same name that are significatively different from one game system to another (Aladdin is a completely different game between Snes and Genesis for instance... probably the only game with Mortal Kombat I'd admit is better on the Genesis actually)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

I keep lists of my favorite novels and short stories, so that would be good. Tv shows aren't a problem either. I would have to skip the video games however, because my knowledge doesn't go much further than Pac-Man.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm a super casual gamer and I barely watch TV. I'm a voracious reader though, so my pick is for the "fiction" poll.

My favorite video game though is Metroid Prime and my favorite TV show is Breaking Bad.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

What would be nice about any of these polls is that it means that this neglected section of the forum can be finally put to some proper use.

I am pretty packed with running some polls in the future, though, like in February I am going to run the Hall of Acclaim vote for 2015, and then proceeding from there I am probably going to open the songs poll from March to June.

I also would like to allow other users to have a chance to run certain polls too.

I probably will run the Fiction poll, but anyone want to take a crack at the TV and game polls?

Also, looking at all of this, lets try to set schedules for these things. I will probably do the Fiction poll after I have unveiled the Songs list over the course of July, so August would be a nice time to open it. As per Bonnielaurel's suggestion regarding the disparity of different works of fiction, maybe starting in August with each month we will have one of the literary categories open. Then, we will pile them all together and rank the final list from favorite to least favorite. Kind of like what BleuPanda suggested for the next all-time film poll.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Nassim wrote:I'm most interest in video games. I have lots of favorite TV shows but there are far too many I haven't seen while I have at least tried most of the major video games (not necessarily played enough to have a real idea, but still enough to know that they would most likely not make my all time list).
Might be tricky to compile the list with all the variants of the same game (should super street fighter II be separated from street fighter II for instance) and the games with the same name that are significatively different from one game system to another (Aladdin is a completely different game between Snes and Genesis for instance... probably the only game with Mortal Kombat I'd admit is better on the Genesis actually)
This brings up an interesting point with regards to versions. I personally feel that in regards to, say, Street Fighter II, combine the votes, but maybe mention which versions specifically received the most votes.

This also brings up another aspect to this particular poll. One thing that the (now-defunct) "Acclaimed Games" site did was combine votes for games that essentially are the same game, but have received updated versions and entries. For example, Civilization I, II, III, IV, V... all combined as entries, the gazillion versions of Street Fighter, Mario Kart, etc. The only thing here is that it could be subjective as to what is an single continuous series, and what are stand alone titles.

I guess I just don't want the Top 100 taken up by every version of Smash Bros., for instance, or say, Call of Duty. I've seen too many fan-voted lists like that, and it typically irritates me when I see the bubbling-unders that missed out because of that. Would help to allow a greater variety of games, genres, companies, consoles, and generations, to place in the Top 100. We could of course, as with the different versions of a game, mention the most mentioned entries in said series.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I'd vote in the TV shows poll, but not the other two. I don't think I would have a good enough list (in the sense of being able to list all that I have read/played and then rank them).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

For the video game entry, I'd definitely agree with combining similar entries in the same series. I always have that issue with the Pokemon series, where I feel the series deserves a spot in my top 20 or so, but I'd never want to include all 6 generations (even though I find them all about the same quality).
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

BleuPanda wrote:For the video game entry, I'd definitely agree with combining similar entries in the same series. I always have that issue with the Pokemon series, where I feel the series deserves a spot in my top 20 or so, but I'd never want to include all 6 generations (even though I find them all about the same quality).
My thoughts exactly. I also will have Pokemon on my list, but I would prefer to pick one entry specifically, rather than clog up my list with derivatives from the same series. I will have separate entries for certain games, like Super Mario, Zelda, Grand Theft Auto, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Also, in the Poll thread in the music board by Henrik, Jirin brought up a good point about how, for some people, it is hard to compare console generations, like, say NES games versus PS3 games. I don't have a hard time with that, but I could see a problem for some users.

So, LiveinPhoenix suggested we do a generation based vote, then combine them all into a collective list and rank from there. That could definitely work.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

The only one of these I'd be totally on board is TV shows.

I feel fiction is too broad and too apples-to-oranges to make a good poll out of. Says the guy running the classical poll, but I feel classical is easier to categorize. If we did just novels or poetry, I'd be fine.

I think I've only ever played 20 non-PC games to completion and most of them were Pokemon. I am sort of a PC gamer, so maybe this, but it's still iffy.

Favorite Book: Ishmael

Favorite Game: Halo 2
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I like the idea of a literature poll, but I really couldn't compare novels to poetry. Personally I'd prefer just a novels poll. Novellas could be included as well, but a story of just a few pages would be too different in my opinion.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Gillingham wrote:I like the idea of a literature poll, but I really couldn't compare novels to poetry. Personally I'd prefer just a novels poll. Novellas could be included as well, but a story of just a few pages would be too different in my opinion.
Well, we could do them in different categories, as bonnielaurel suggested. A novel poll, a short story poll, a poetry/poetry collection poll, and a play poll. Then, once again, combine them into an ultimate list from there.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Yes, that's definitely a nice suggestion. Although I wonder of the poetry and play poll (and even the poetry too) get a lot of participants and results that have enough in common to have a useful ranking in the end.

Return to “General Discussion”