Trip down the Acclaimed Music memory lane...

Pierre
Into the Groove

Trip down the Acclaimed Music memory lane...

Post by Pierre »

Well, I don't know why I'm even starting this thread in the first place... It's just, I think, a sentence I said to Romain the other day, "Welcome back on the old Acclaimed Music forum" or something along those lines. I think I just wanted to pay tribute to this old forum, I somewhat miss those days to some extent (and I was there way back, when I was not even contributing to the forum yet), and not just because Mr. SavoyBG was not there by that time. I remember the guys back then, one of them was an Eurovision aficionado and it was always funny to read how his opinion contrasted with others', and I also remember this man named netjade, who if I'm correct designed the current website logo! He had just the most warped mind I ever read stuff from, even though I didn't get every single one of this puns, just reading his messages was enough to be hilarious. As a matter of fact, in the role of AM forums official troll, he was more productive and way more funny than Bruce has ever been, even if I never interacted directly with him.

Well, that was just it. If there's anyone else who wants to pay tribute to the old Acclaimed Music days, feel free.

Is there a forumer you're missing particularly?

Do you remember when the site looked like this?
https://web.archive.org/web/20031128231 ... music.net/

(I admit I don't, I'm not THAT old an AM user)

I guess that will be the place, no matter what aspect/which person you miss or you're wanting to pay tribute to. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: Trip down the Acclaimed Music memory lane...

Post by JimmyJazz »

I was obviously not on the site (or even discovered it) around that time, but I have occasionally looked at archived pages, and seen some pretty amusing stuff... Like that net jade fella arguing about the merits of Judy Garland as a singer versus PJ Harvey (lol). I also recall reading a argument about the Velvet Underground, the Beatles, and Radiohead, and more specifically Piero Scaruffi's views on them. There was also the inevitable debates about the artist list and how it was tabulated back then too...
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JimmyJazz wrote:There was also the inevitable debates about the artist list and how it was tabulated back then too...
Some things never change, do they? I still believe those debates were more peaceful back then, but nostalgy glasses might soften them.

And yes, there were interesting arguments back then as well! That was the advantage of the registration-free old forum, anyone could give its grain of salt. However, the bots were way too annoying, so I'm still glad we migrated here.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Three AMF'ers I wish were still around:

Guy - host of the AMF simpsons poll with a grand total of 4 voters: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 0&cmd=show

Schleuse - he would post sporadically, but when he did they were always long and insightful. He always had something up.

Jackson! - I don't think he's left only but the last time he posted was about a month ago. I felt his music taste was most alike mine and he articulated pretty much all the opinions I had about pretty much every album. Come back!
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Ah, I miss those days, although that isn't to say that the forum isn't a great place now, because it still is. But nostalgia is a natural tendency, isn't it? I was a contributor in those old days, using my real name "Sean Pak". Netjade is a girl, if I recall correctly. She used to be my facebook friend, that's why I know that.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Is Jackson really gone? It would be a shame, he was here for a long time and is very knowledgeable. I hope that's not the case, maybe he's just gone on vacation?

And irreduciblekoan, yeah I remember you as Sean Pak. Is Netjade a girl or was s/he just using a picture of a girl as his/her Facebook profile? I think I remember a discussion on the subject and I believe she was a he, but I'm not completely certain about it, I would have to dig in the archival forum to be sure.
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

I first visited AM in 2007 and my musical tastes have been shaped ever since. Like most white American male teenagers, I was obsessed with mainstream classic rock. It was only after finding AM that I found out about the existence of The Velvet Underground. I bought VU & Nico and my life changed: this was truly radical music. Listening to VU & Nico led to me listening to acts like Television, Can, Pere Ubu, Gang of Four, Joy Division, Suicide, Brian Eno, and so on. Then I started listening to non-rock acts. AM expanded my horizons. Thanks, Henrik!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Pierre wrote:Is Jackson really gone? It would be a shame, he was here for a long time and is very knowledgeable. I hope that's not the case, maybe he's just gone on vacation?

And irreduciblekoan, yeah I remember you as Sean Pak. Is Netjade a girl or was s/he just using a picture of a girl as his/her Facebook profile? I think I remember a discussion on the subject and I believe she was a he, but I'm not completely certain about it, I would have to dig in the archival forum to be sure.
Haha funny to see the speculation here. I think my absence from the forum just happened to coincide with my girlfriend moving in... :o

I also don't get to listen to as much music anymore, with a 70+ hour / week job. But I think it'll just be a temporary blip, I'm too addicted to music lists / tournaments to ever leave for long...
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Netjade always pointed people toward great music that wasn't getting attention otherwise. Maybe had a bit of a bad attitude about popular records getting too much attention, but was never personal about it.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

I think when one or two people leave others end up leaving too just because on this kind of forum it really is about the impersonal relationships rather than just debating music.I always loved this forum and still lurk once in awhile, but after awhile the people you always knew disappear. It's just the nature of a smaller forum like this, I've been a part of a couple others that are exactly the same.

Return to “General Discussion”