World Cup 2014!

Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

World Cup 2014!

Post by Zorg »

Can't believe there hasn't been a thread about this yet! Last time's thread was great fun.

What a crazy start! Netherlands destroying Spain 5-1, Uruguay getting beaten by Costa Rica, Brazil winning in dubious circumstances, this WC is shaping up to be a lot better than last time. Especially since there aren't any vuvuzelas :D

My England kick off in half an hour against Italy, hopefully we'll get a win! Though i'm not particularly optimistic...

What do you guys think? Who do you support? Who do you think is going to win? Player of the tournament etc etc
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: World Cup 2014!

Post by PlasticRam »

I support Ivory Coast cos I like Drogba and they've been handed a tough group the last two times. Bet 10d on them winning the whole thing with a 150 multiplier, so that's 1500d if they win... :happy-wavemulticolor:

England did play better than Uruguay at least, I think England and Italy go through.

Brazil is the biggest favorite in my opinion.
I feel like that
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I support team Italy, although I kinda root for the USA because I live in America, but as we all know, the American soccer team isn't really that good.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Listyguy wrote:I support team Italy, although I kinda root for the USA because I live in America, but as we all know, the American soccer team isn't really that good.
I think USA played well against Ghana.They could surprise Portugal the next game. Even a draw might be enough to advance.

Edit: And that would be a really great achievement in my opinion, I mean Portugal was top 4 in Europe the last Championships.
I feel like that
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I support Germany and the Netherlands. However, I also think Mexico is playing well this time(especially the goalkeeper).
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Other than the United States I'm rooting for the best teams to make it to the end, and I'm also kind of rooting for countries like Costa Rica where everybody loves futbol but they haven't had historical success.

A draw would put the US in a great position. It would mean that they'd need a draw with Germany, and even if they lost against Germany, if Portugal beat Ghana they'd still probably advance on goal differential.

I just read up at the structure of the Champion's league. Interesting to have an elimination draw where everybody gets to enter at a different place.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

A match full of drama. USA played pretty well again, although the first goal they conceded was horrific, both from the defender and the goalkeeper.
I feel like that
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

It's hard to believe that Italy and England got knocked out of the 'Group of Death' and uruguay and Costa Rica progressed to the next round, with Costa Rica topping the group.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Before the World Cup I bet on Uruguay winning it all so I am not that surprised by them, but Costa Rica finishing on top of the group is a huge surprise indeed !
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Okay now with a little luck USA is through to the next round. They play a very good game defensively. Certainly they have a chance against Belgium.
I feel like that
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I am really looking forward to the round of 16
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

PlasticRam wrote:Okay now with a little luck USA is through to the next round. They play a very good game defensively. Certainly they have a chance against Belgium.
Last match was 4-2 for Belgium
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I really back Colombia to wreck Brazil. They're so assured on the ball and they all click, it's amazing. James Rodriguez is something else.

So many goals!! I suppose that says more about the quality of defence than anything, but as a neutral (now that England are out) I can't be happier.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Ugh, I'm really annoyed with the way the Netherlands won that match. A penalty kick on a BLATANT flop?

They really need to start enforcing penalties for flopping more, and in cases where a penalty kick is at stake they need to have a review process so players don't get away with crap like that. That's one of the reasons soccer doesn't catch on in the US, because it's the only major sport where pretending to be injured is a valid strategy that can swing an entire game one way or another.

An American Football player would be embarrassed to be rolling around on the ground writhing in pain every time somebody's arm brushes against them.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Jirin wrote:Ugh, I'm really annoyed with the way the Netherlands won that match. A penalty kick on a BLATANT flop?
I dunno: while in the second half of the match, Robben's "fall" was a blatant flop, as you say, the dutch should have been awarded a penalty during the first time of the match, also by a fault on Robben within the 16 meters.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Costa Rica have really managed to play quite well this world cup.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Isn't that saying 'Two wrongs make a right' though? Compensation calls are something that shouldn't be on the referee's minds.

When the NFL had a problem with bad calls determining the outcome of games they implemented a challenge system that 90% fixed the issue. Yet FIFA seems resolute against fixing the problems. Pretending to be injured to draw penalty calls shouldn't be an accepted facet of any sport, much less the most popular one in the world.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

And I thought Costa Rica vs. Greece was tense yesterday... Kudos to Algeria though, they played unbelievably well :D
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Jirin wrote:Isn't that saying 'Two wrongs make a right' though?
Yes it is, but the compensation call is on my mind, not the referee's. He's just doing the best job he can.
I find it hard to believe that in all these WK matches, all of them, so many judgmental errors have been made by referees. The sport badly needs reforms, beginning with the use of camera's when judging faults.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I really hope Germany can win, I've been rooting for them since 2002. They've been close so many times. Not that I bet on them or anything.
I feel like that
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Speaking of being close ever so many times, i think the Netherlands deserve their shot at glory because at the end of the day, Germany's already won the World Cup three times :D
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Luke JR68 wrote:Speaking of being close ever so many times, i think the Netherlands deserve their shot at glory because at the end of the day, Germany's already won the World Cup three times :D
I wasn't alive to see Germany win :D
I feel like that
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

This is what my German partner thinks is going to happen with tonight's semi-final. Well, let's wait and see.
...will keep us together.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Dan wrote:This is what my German partner thinks is going to happen with tonight's semi-final. Well, let's wait and see.
Wow, that's exactly what happened!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

...will keep us together.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

A true story: I was feeling a bit sick before the game just healthwise, but then it got better. Then when Germany scored five times, I started feeling sick again :? even though I wanted Germany to win of course. And I mean it surely was cos of the game.

They just have to win it this year. If they don't win the final, this win doesn't mean much, at least to me. If they win the final, this will be the best World Cup ever. Objectively this has been pretty great too.
I feel like that
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

PlasticRam wrote: They just have to win it this year. If they don't win the final, this win doesn't mean much, at least to me. If they win the final, this will be the best World Cup ever. Objectively this has been pretty great too.
Now that the Netherlands are out, it would make me quite happy for your dream to become a reality :D
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

PlasticRam wrote:A true story: I was feeling a bit sick before the game just healthwise, but then it got better. Then when Germany scored five times, I started feeling sick again :? even though I wanted Germany to win of course. And I mean it surely was cos of the game.

They just have to win it this year. If they don't win the final, this win doesn't mean much, at least to me. If they win the final, this will be the best World Cup ever. Objectively this has been pretty great too.
Enjoying the result PlasticRam :D ?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Luke JR68 wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:A true story: I was feeling a bit sick before the game just healthwise, but then it got better. Then when Germany scored five times, I started feeling sick again :? even though I wanted Germany to win of course. And I mean it surely was cos of the game.

Ja :D Didn't like how close it was though at the time, Argentina was surprisingly good. Messi though didn't play that well, best player award should've been awarded to either Neuer or James Rodriguez.

But yeah, finally! :happy-partydance:
I feel like that
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

PlasticRam wrote:
Luke JR68 wrote:

Ja :D Didn't like how close it was though at the time, Argentina was surprisingly good. Messi though didn't play that well, best player award should've been awarded to either Neuer or James Rodriguez.

But yeah, finally! :happy-partydance:
Argentina did much better than i expected, considering how questionable the Semi-final with the Netherlands was, but in the end the better team won. Messi seems justified for Best Player, considering he carried Argentina most of the way, but i could've lived with Robben or Neuer.
And although Neuer deserved the Golden Glove, I would've loved to see Navas get it :D
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

For me Messi really should've played well in the final to deserve the title, he couldn't create a goal in the semi-final either. The problem is I think that they decide the best player before the final, not sure though. That's why Zidane won best player in 2006, although it still is deserved in my opinion, seeing most of France's games that year.

Navas of course played great. It's just that he didn't get quite far enough.
I feel like that
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

You raise a good point, Messi was neutered fairly well in the final and the semi-finals... Of course, the entire Argentine team was pretty toothless in both games (the Semi-Final due to awful play on both teams parts and the final due to a combination of solid German defending and terrible mistakes by the offense). You're also right that the voting probably does happen before the finals, since i really doubt they'd be able to round up the panel and vote in time to have the results 30 or so minutes after the final.

True, had they beaten the Netherlands, it might have been an entirely different story :D

Return to “General Discussion”