Play That Game

Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Re: Play That Game

Post by Mulholland »

Nowhere Man wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:58 pm Hey, I didn't know this site until now. A nice read too, it could only have quick profiles for the games like AM has for the artists and albums, and also some level of distinction: for example, I'm checking the Game Boy Color list, and it has Spider-Man, which I think you mean the 2000 game by Activision, but the year is tagged 2018 (which corresponds to the PS4 game).
And I kinda feel vindicated that Ocarina of Time is #2 on your list, because that's my favorite game of all time, and I play all good stuff I can get.
Hi, glad you're liking the site.

We get the bulk of our game data from TheGamesDB.net, so when there's an error on there it feeds through to us. It's one of those things that I need to get around to do some sense-checking on at some point. I'd do it all myself, but with all the ports and remakes and re-releases - it's a lot to keep track of in terms of platform data :D
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Nice to see that the website has updated again. My idea for the YouTube channel has kind of evolved into an idea for a podcast. Either way I should probably invest in to getting a Dreamcast for the first episode. Happy New Year!
There is No More Firmament.
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

That's a Wrap!

Thanks to the large numbers of best of decade lists (which will be bolstered next year when we start getting end of gen lists) the changes to the list below the Top 50 has been pretty huge. Doom (2016), Super Mario Odyssey and Metal Gear Solid 5 are now all in the Top 100.

Interestingly, 2019 games are not doing as well as other years at this time. Votes have been really spread out so a lot of games have small amounts of points. Kinda disappointed that Untitled Goose Game didn't make it.

Here is where the 2019 games landed:
336 Resident Evil 2
461 Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
528 Outer Wilds
547 Control
576 Apex Legends
594 Devil May Cry 5
623 Fire Emblem: Three Houses
643 Death Stranding
703 Disco Elysium
955 Tetris 99
964 The Outer Worlds
1000 Luigi's Mansion 3

Hope y'all enjoy. I'm gonna go and actually play some games now!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm excited to see where things land in the next update (hoping Hades takes its rightful spot at the top); being able to see the top 2000 list was also a nice addition! It's too much to ever get through, but it's a great source when trying to find hidden gems that slipped by my radar for recent years.

Though I also wonder how high Dragon Quest III should actually be, since it's listed under both Dragon Quest III and Dragon Warrior III - it always seemed relatively low for the series considering its importance.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

how many games have you played from the top 1000 according to play that game list?
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Vacantjoy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:45 pm how many games have you played from the top 1000 according to play that game list?
I have played 413 from the top 1000 (which I have played 547 game total long enough to consider significantly experienced enough to rank, so most have been in the PTG list), including 90 of the top 100. Unlike other media, there's a lot of games on the list I don't necessarily think are worth playing? Like, I tried out the original Civilization as a curiosity, but I see no reason to seriously play it when the later Civ games exist. Video games suffer from obsolescence in a way other media doesn't, really.

World of Warcraft being in the top 10 is also blocking me from seriously committing to finishing off the top 100; I have access to everything in the top 100 I haven't played at least:
World of Warcraft
Deus Ex
Diablo II
ICO
Baldur's Gate II
The Secret of Monkey Island
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Counter-Strike
Halo 2
Halo 3
Yoshi's Island

Which, I've tried Deus Ex a few times, it finally clicked with me, and then it kept crashing at the exact same point several hours in...
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

BleuPanda wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:15 pm
Vacantjoy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:45 pm how many games have you played from the top 1000 according to play that game list?
I have played 413 from the top 1000 (which I have played 547 game total long enough to consider significantly experienced enough to rank, so most have been in the PTG list), including 90 of the top 100. Unlike other media, there's a lot of games on the list I don't necessarily think are worth playing? Like, I tried out the original Civilization as a curiosity, but I see no reason to seriously play it when the later Civ games exist. Video games suffer from obsolescence in a way other media doesn't, really.

World of Warcraft being in the top 10 is also blocking me from seriously committing to finishing off the top 100; I have access to everything in the top 100 I haven't played at least:
World of Warcraft
Deus Ex
Diablo II
ICO
Baldur's Gate II
Counter-Strike
Halo 2
Halo 3
Yoshi's Island

Which, I've tried Deus Ex a few times, it finally clicked with me, and then it kept crashing at the exact same point several hours in...
woow :o ,that's a vast amount of games... My favorite's are Bioshock and Half-Life 2, what's your favorites ? I personally think that TSPDT also suffers from obsolescence though less than PTG....
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Vacantjoy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm

World of Warcraft
Deus Ex
Diablo II
ICO
Baldur's Gate II
Counter-Strike
Halo 2
Halo 3
Yoshi's Island

woow :o ,that's a vast amount of games... My favorite's are Bioshock and Half-Life 2, what's your favorites ? I personally think that TSPDT also suffers from obsolescence though less than PTG....
I made this thread here going through my top 100 over the summer:
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... f=8&t=8802

I can't think of anything from TSPDT that would qualify as 'obsolete.' As in, meaning that a generally upgraded version of the same work has been introduced to the world. Some films might seem outdated now, but film is too dependent on particular artistic visions and style that it doesn't really work. The closest I can think of are shot-for-shot remakes, but in those cases, most of those remakes are outright hated for generally being soulless.

Like, it has nothing to do with the age of the work; it has to do with the fact that many video game series consist more of reiterations than entirely unique works. Especially when a series is non-narrative, it makes those earlier iterations tough sells.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

BleuPanda wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:03 pm
Vacantjoy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm

World of Warcraft
Deus Ex
Diablo II
ICO
Baldur's Gate II
Counter-Strike
Halo 2
Halo 3
Yoshi's Island

I made this thread here going through my top 100 over the summer:
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... f=8&t=8802

I can't think of anything from TSPDT that would qualify as 'obsolete.' As in, meaning that a generally upgraded version of the same work has been introduced to the world. Some films might seem outdated now, but film is too dependent on particular artistic visions and style that it doesn't really work. The closest I can think of are shot-for-shot remakes, but in those cases, most of those remakes are outright hated for generally being soulless.

Like, it has nothing to do with the age of the work; it has to do with the fact that many video game series consist more of reiterations than entirely unique works. Especially when a series is non-narrative, it makes those earlier iterations tough sells.

The way that i used "obsolete" for TSPDT was metaphorical...i meant that the list is a little conservative with the contemporary films (1980-2020) in it's ranking,excuse me for the misunderstanding!So as you can tell i misunderstood the way you used obsolete for gaming too!I see what are you trying to say ... and thanks for the thread
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Is Among Us on the list yet?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Lemonde.fr (well, Pixels, their video games blog actually) released a top 100 best video games recently and it was mostly focused on games from the past 10 years, arguing that unlike for other art, video games age and when you remove the lense of nostalgia, the recent ones are (usually) improved versions and more worthy of your time.
They took so most slack for it that they had to do a live chat answering readers questions !
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

So I have played a bit of about 111 games (give or take a handful, hard to remember which FIFA or PES I have played for instance) and a lot of 177 more.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Nassim wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:08 pm
So I have played a bit of about 111 games (give or take a handful, hard to remember which FIFA or PES I have played for instance) and a lot of 177 more.
nice
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

Jirin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:33 am Is Among Us on the list yet?
It only got mentioned on best of lists in the last few months. Issue being that it isn't really a 2020 game, so it's going to be hindered by that.

I'm not going to click update for a while until all the best of year lists come in. So who knows, maybe it'll get there.
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

Nassim wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm Lemonde.fr (well, Pixels, their video games blog actually) released a top 100 best video games recently and it was mostly focused on games from the past 10 years, arguing that unlike for other art, video games age and when you remove the lense of nostalgia, the recent ones are (usually) improved versions and more worthy of your time.
They took so most slack for it that they had to do a live chat answering readers questions !
Sadly behind a paywall. Can't see what they ended up picking :angry-banghead:
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Mulholland wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:12 pm
Nassim wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm Lemonde.fr (well, Pixels, their video games blog actually) released a top 100 best video games recently and it was mostly focused on games from the past 10 years, arguing that unlike for other art, video games age and when you remove the lense of nostalgia, the recent ones are (usually) improved versions and more worthy of your time.
I have posted the list in a separate thread !
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

Nassim wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:28 am
Mulholland wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:12 pm
I have posted the list in a separate thread !
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Mulholland wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:03 pm
It only got mentioned on best of lists in the last few months. Issue being that it isn't really a 2020 game, so it's going to be hindered by that.

I'm not going to click update for a while until all the best of year lists come in. So who knows, maybe it'll get there.
I'm curious, are there still game publications releasing year-end lists?
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:14 pm
Mulholland wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm curious, are there still game publications releasing year-end lists?
Not yet. I haven't had the chance to get around to doing updates yet because I got Covid over Christmas and I am still floored by the fatigue. I'll get around to it eventually when I no longer have dog-like sleeping habits.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm really sorry to hear; I hope you get feeling better soon.
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

I finally have my head together enough and have pulled the trigger on the next update.
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

Mulholland wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:48 am I finally have my head together enough and have pulled the trigger on the next update.
Thanks for the hard work, Mulholland. I hope you're having a good recovery.
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

Animal Crossing as the highest rated game of 2020 really surprises me. I was expecting TLoU 2 to take that spot. I'm happy though, AC is definitely my favorite from last year.

I'm even more surprised Hades isn't in the top 2000. Critics ranked it very high in most EOY lists I've seen.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

It's not too surprising. It's a genre of game I'm just not that interested in. But a *lot* of people love it.

I hope eventually some representative of the Legend of Heroes: Trails gets on the list. It's a series where each individual game is in the 8-9/10 range, but because there's such extreme continuity, all of the ten games taken together are a 10/10.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Mason wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:31 pm Animal Crossing as the highest rated game of 2020 really surprises me. I was expecting TLoU 2 to take that spot. I'm happy though, AC is definitely my favorite from last year.

I'm even more surprised Hades isn't in the top 2000. Critics ranked it very high in most EOY lists I've seen.
Hades is #736 but listed under 2018 for some reason; I guess Mulholland is going off of the early access date (which I don't quite agree with, since the official full release date is 2020). At that spot, it'd be #3 for 2020, exactly one spot lower than LOU2.

Edit: also, thanks for the update!
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

BleuPanda wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:44 am
Hades is #736 but listed under 2018 for some reason; I guess Mulholland is going off of the early access date (which I don't quite agree with, since the official full release date is 2020). At that spot, it'd be #3 for 2020, exactly one spot lower than LOU2.

Edit: also, thanks for the update!
I get what you mean, but when a game ends up on a list in 2018 or 2019 it's difficult to know when it'll leave early access - especially as some games never do.

But I figured as long as I can be consistent, I can justify this :D

Glad you're enjoying the update. Now I am feeling better, I am going to try and be more proactive like I used to be in adding lists.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

...I feel the need to again point out that Dragon Quest III and Dragon Warrior III are listed as separate games. As far as I know, these are literally the same game, but the Western release of the series thought "Warrior" would sell better as a name until Dragon Quest VIII came out.

I'm also curious, does the Resident Evil 1 remake on Gamecube not have enough to be featured in the top 2000? That seems insane to me, especially when lesser games in the series are featured. Perhaps it has been combined with the PS1 version, but that seems unlikely to me when Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black are being treated as separate games when Black is essentially the Special Edition version (and I'm quite certain you combine DMC3 and MGS3's various versions into one?).
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 am ...I feel the need to again point out that Dragon Quest III and Dragon Warrior III are listed as separate games. As far as I know, these are literally the same game, but the Western release of the series thought "Warrior" would sell better as a name until Dragon Quest VIII came out.

I'm also curious, does the Resident Evil 1 remake on Gamecube not have enough to be featured in the top 2000? That seems insane to me, especially when lesser games in the series are featured. Perhaps it has been combined with the PS1 version, but that seems unlikely to me when Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black are being treated as separate games when Black is essentially the Special Edition version (and I'm quite certain you combine DMC3 and MGS3's various versions into one?).
I keep meaning to go through and combine those games. I'll make a notepad document with some and make sure it's done by the next update.

The initial list came from the 1001 Games You Must Play book plus a bunch of other lists so it is possible that some games have separate entries when, now, I would combine them. As you pointed out Resident Evil on the GC and PS1 are a single entry. So I need to do the same for Ninja Gaiden as I know those are separate on the 1001 list.

Let me know if you spot any more :)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I feel like the Pokemon games of the same generation would probably make more sense combined? Do any lists actually have both Red/Blue and Yellow ranked simultaneously, other than weird Pokemon specific lists? Most fans I know group them together. I also feel like the various Street Fighter games would be in the same boat; Street Fighter II, Turbo Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter II: Championship Edition, Super Street Fighter II are five variations of the same game, mostly just adding more characters.

Just to have it in list form:
1. Pokemon Red/Blue and Pokemon Yellow
2. Pokemon Gold/Silver and Pokemon Crystal
3? if Pokemon Emerald or Platinum are sub-2000, they could also probably be combined with Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl. UltraSun and UltraMoon as well? Black/White 2 are the only 'third' games that truly feel distinct enough to warrant their own entry (and even those feel closer to remixes)
4. Street Fighter II/Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting/Super Street Fighter II Turbo/Street Fighter II: Championship Edition/Super Street Fighter II
5. Street Fighter IV/Super Street Fighter IV/Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

I believe all the other Street Fighters in the top 2000 are their own distinct entities

I see you updated to combine Ninja Gaiden and Black, though I think listing it as Ninja Gaiden Black or at least having that title in parentheses might be helpful - just looking at the Microsoft store, you can only buy it in Ninja Gaiden Black form these days, and that's always how I have known the game. If nothing else, it would make it easier to differentiate from the NES game with the same title.

Other than these, I'm not sure I've noticed any. Do any other fighting game series have the same problem as Street Fighter? I think Pokemon and Street Fighter are distinctly popular enough to have gotten away with selling the same game multiple times. Just look at this nonsense:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _II_series
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Since I'm assuming you're going off the original release, the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series is actually mislabeled. The games were actually GBA games exclusive to Japan until being rereleased on the DS - the only difference is that they added a bonus case for the first game.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney should be 2001
Justice for All should be 2002
Trials and Tribulations should be 2004
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Oh, I just thought of another one that probably makes more sense combined:
The Binding of Isaac was 'remade' into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. The main purpose of the remake was that the original version ran on flash and had numerous issues, so Rebirth for all purposes replaced the original version.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Mulholland wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Now that I see you have returned in another thread - is Play That Game still going to be updated?
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:22 pm Now that I see you have returned in another thread - is Play That Game still going to be updated?
Eventually, have been in house move hell since late July and hopefully there's light at the end of this tunnel.

With all that going on have really not been there to put time into it... although I sure as hell will regret not doing bits here and there when I have the headspace to start back. Also need to turn all the google alerts back on because after 6 months of not updating ... well you know.

But yea once I am properly re-homed (and sounding less like an unwanted pet) I'm going to gradually get myself back into it.
ValenN
Wannabe

Post by ValenN »

Mulholland wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:47 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:22 pm Now that I see you have returned in another thread - is Play That Game still going to be updated?
Eventually, have been in house move hell since late July and hopefully there's light at the end of this tunnel.

With all that going on have really not been there to put time into it... although I sure as hell will regret not doing bits here and there when I have the headspace to start back. Also need to turn all the google alerts back on because after 6 months of not updating ... well you know.

But yea once I am properly re-homed (and sounding less like an unwanted pet) I'm going to gradually get myself back into it.
I went through a similar thing last year, but I've thankfully restarted in December. I wish you the best of luck with your update! A good strat is to restart with daily work but spend initially small amount of time so as to not overwhelm yourself.
Alena_03
Strange Fruit

Post by Alena_03 »

Hey Mulholland, I wanna try using that list of yours to make a similar thing to what Honorio did for movies music and books of each year, decade, century, and all time. You wanna collab?
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

ManPerson
Let's Get It On

Post by ManPerson »

Any update happening soon?

Return to “General Discussion”