Coronavirus

Holden
Different Class

Coronavirus

Post by Holden » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 am

Out of curiosity, how is the coronavirus affecting all of you? My school is shut down for a while, and the restaurant I work at has gotten crazy strict-people are no longer allowed to grab their own sauces and straws. So how about you?
"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Current Top 50 Albums: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Rocky Raccoon
Different Class

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Rocky Raccoon » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:12 am

A lot here in Washington State. Just found out earlier today that this was the last day of school for my kids for at least six weeks. I don't live in Seattle, but I've heard it's like a ghost town there. Luckily, I have a job that doesn't require me coming into contact with a lot of people, and about half of it I do from home. Hopefully, for everyone's sake, this gets under control soon, but I feel it may get worse before it gets better.
Everyone stay as safe as possible out there. Take precautions, wash your hands, don't touch your face, stay six feet away from people outside your immediate family, etc., etc. You may be saving more lives than just your own.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nick » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 am

All the local schools in my area are closed, as are the colleges. My workplace is still open though, but we're prepared to close down at a moment's notice. I'm not too worried about myself getting sick, or even being in isolation. But I have a very sick girlfriend (cystic fibrosis) who I'm extremely worried about. Even though we only live a short drive away from each other, we probably won't see each other for a while.

Hang in there, people.

Chambord
Wannabe

Post by Chambord » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Everyone
Everyone around here
Everyone is so near
It's holding on

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Update: I'm currently working from home, and will be for the next two weeks. Most likely I will be working from home longer than that, but we'll see. It's my second day of semi-quarantine, and it's not so bad this far, as I'm a fairly introverted guy. Let's see how I feel in two weeks though!

Stay healthy and safe everyone! And stay home!!

whuntva
Full of Fire

Post by whuntva » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:16 am

I have still had to work. My job is considered "essential" enough to keep employed. I actually got a $2 raise until the end of April.

Occasionally, I go for a run outside. I keep the "arm's length" rule, and had to tell my girlfriend no kissing and no hugging. But otherwise, it is business as usual for me.

When people asked me where I was during the Plague, I will just tell them "I went about my day as normal."

The worst thing about it for me is everything being cancelled. I could at least put up with it if they had soccer on.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm in London, what a shit show. Start of the month, everything was still pretty chill. My job vanished in less than a week and I have had to cancel my wedding and honeymoon as Australia and New Zealand are in lock-down. I'm now stuck at home for at least a minimum of two weeks, with the possibility of this stasis lasting months.

however

This will give me a chance to complete a goal of mine; 500 Albums 2010-2019. I'm going to update my Spreadsheets and re-evaluate albums I haven't listened to in a while. I have less than twenty albums left, so I'm excited to complete this in a month or so. I'll have to have a poke around some of the recent polls to see if there was anything I missed.

Strange times,

Taro

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:07 pm

It hasn't affected my job except in terms of it's less convenient to work from home. But I live alone and having zero human contact is really a struggle.

On top of that, I think there's a lot of hypocrisy and moral Johnny Come Latelies that make it even more stressful. The people who will accuse you of killing Grandma and launch into sanctimonious rants for going on a short walk alone around your neighborhood and are saying we should ignore economic struggles as long as a single new case is possible are the same people who weren't willing to make the slightest sacrifice until the possible death toll hit seven figures, continue to do nothing for global warming, and if the same thing happened but only in Africa wouldn't have gone any further than hitting the "Donate $5" button during Amazon checkout.

The level of abject hypocrisy some people display on the Internet has gotten difficult to deal with especially in the absence of real social contact.

I just hope we settle on the approach to just stay home for the two months or so it takes to get past the peak of the first wave of infections, then start gradually opening things back up to keep the infection rate under hospital capacity instead of protracted lockdowns even longer than that. That's probably the best way to minimize the death toll while also minimizing the impact on people's emotional health and the human cost of a prolonged recession.

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm

In Sweden we have become quite famous for still having open schools. So far we’re doing alright...and I think we’re doing the right thing. Closing schools would lead to
1. Reduced hospital staff because parents have to stay home and take care of their kids.
2. Grandparents at risk taking care of their grandchildren and get infected.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Holden
Different Class

Post by Holden » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I live in a fairly small Wisconsin county, and we just had our first confirmed case.
"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Current Top 50 Albums: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 pm

These measures are absolutely necessary and probably for at least a period of 2-3 months (Followed by a period of gradual loosening to build herd immunity while keeping hospitals from being overwhelmed).

I'm just getting sick of the sanctimonious tone of some people who would have never lifted a finger until the number of deaths they were quoted rose above half a million and suddenly think they can call people horrible monsters for even raising the economy and personal freedoms as a factor in the equation. They act like even considering the effect of the economy is a matter of helping selfish rich people protect their fortunes, when it's the poor who will suffer the most and spread out over several years might even kill more people in the long run than the marginal effect on virus.

The same people who in 2001 crashed press conferences with banners saying "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither", no less. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that the restrictions should gradually start loosening as soon as we get past the point where we can be confident the hospitals can handle the load, and I'm sick of the self righteous hypocrisy of 75% of the Internet who, if they were quoted 150,000 as the possible number of deaths instead of millions, would definitely still be out partying.

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:05 pm

I think more than half the country is at shelter-in-place, though Arizona is not. EDIT: Now it is. (Many things are closed, like restaurants except for take-out, and schools. Daycare isn't closed, but my wife is working from home and has the baby at home, at this time.) Juvenile court never closes, but if we go to shelter-in-place, I'd probably come in to work once a week, at best. For most people, I worry about the other factors like employment more than getting the virus. My 71-year-old mother lives nearby and isn't taking visitors, which must hurt as far as seeing the rest of the family and her infant granddaughter. My grandfather-in-law was visiting his daughter, and so actually he's stuck there now and can't get back to his wife, currently.

My grandparents on my mom's side lived through the Spanish flu as kids, and my oldest picture of my grandpa is for a football team photo from the early '30s, accompanied by an article of him playing a local game in front of 2,000 people -- this will all end at some point, though I understand if that sounds like a platitude to people going through hardship. If anything, I'm on the fairly comfortable side. (By the way, I haven't seen Moonbeam around here for a good while, and I wonder if he's going through some heavy shit in some way, virus-related.) Anyway, It'd just be outrageously stupid to try to open things back up on Easter like it's some film premiere date that you're trying to meet in a couple weeks and the movie's 1/4 filmed.

Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:41 am

You know, if Trump had taken the dangers of this virus seriously, then it's spread may have been minimized in the United States. But no, he called it a hoax. It's no wonder why with America leading the world in confirmed cases, many ignoramuses still choose not to take COVID-19 seriously. Do these people realize that more people are going to get sick and die from the virus? It's no wonder they don't when the most powerful government in the world doesn't. Hospitals over here are looking like war zones, with no end in sight. And like I said, the death toll will only go up. I'm sorry if I seem like such a downer over this, but someone needs to be held accountable for this incompetence. The relief bill may have been a start, but sadly, it's too late. The impact is here to stay.

Stay safe everybody.

bootsy
Full of Fire

Post by bootsy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:34 am

Cold Butterfly wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:41 am
You know, if Trump had taken the dangers of this virus seriously, then it's spread may have been minimized in the United States. But no, he called it a hoax. It's no wonder why with America leading the world in confirmed cases, many ignoramuses still choose not to take COVID-19 seriously. Do these people realize that more people are going to get sick and die from the virus? It's no wonder they don't when the most powerful government in the world doesn't. Hospitals over here are looking like war zones, with no end in sight. And like I said, the death toll will only go up. I'm sorry if I seem like such a downer over this, but someone needs to be held accountable for this incompetence. The relief bill may have been a start, but sadly, it's too late. The impact is here to stay.

Stay safe everybody.
You're pretty spot on with this.

PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by PlasticRam » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:22 am

^^ I agree.
I feel like that

dimabilan
Debut

Post by dimabilan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 am

Cold Butterfly wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:41 am

Stay safe everybody.
Sade! :( But o my thinking, the core lesson of COVID-19 is the need to change the context in which it emerged, a context of disinvestment in public health preparedness.

carlos74
Strange Fruit

Post by carlos74 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:48 pm

I live in Madrid, here the situation is very bad. We have already been in quarantine for more than two weeks and the situation does not improve. I live alone and cannot see my family, friends or girlfriend. I can only go out to buy food. I have been temporarily fired from work (I hope). In spite of everything, it can be said that I am lucky, since none of my loved ones is still sick. I spend the day watching movies and series and listening to records. I think we will continue like this for a while.

antonius
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by antonius » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 pm

I live in Antwerp, Belgium. The company I work for is seen as essential for the Belgian economy, so I can work from home fullltime. I'm lucky I guess, but this brings its own kind of stress, as you are very focused on your job the whole time you work.
Luckily I also have my kids, who keep me sane. They are bored but they take it as it comes. We go outside at least once a day. They have their daily homework. They get along and don't argue. I am very grateful for their presence. None of us are ill.

prosecutorgodot
Full of Fire

Post by prosecutorgodot » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm

On the bright side, seems like data is showing that social distancing is working to flatten the curve, at least in the States.
Two songs play in my head over and over as the world ends: Father John Misty - "Pure Comedy" and Billie Eilish - "all the good girls go to hell."

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:52 pm

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm
On the bright side, seems like data is showing that social distancing is working to flatten the curve, at least in the States.
It's tough to judge. If you go to the CDC page, you still see doubling although now down to every 4-5 days, but if you look at the 'Cases by date of illness onset' histogram, it looks relatively flat for the five days before the 'Illnesses in this range may not be reported' part. So it's hard to tell whether the continuing exponential nature is an increase in cases or an increase in detected cases.