How do you think the Picture nominees of 2018 will be remembered in the future?

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

How do you think the Picture nominees of 2018 will be remembered in the future?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Call Me By Your Name - beloved, but favored cult classic, depending on the direction of the darker sequels, it may still be considered to be the most accessible, but still noted entry in a ambitious series. Will probably remain Guadagino's most beloved film, and Chamalet's career will only grow
Darkest Hour - forgotten
Dunkirk - Depends on how the rest of Nolan's work progresses, will probably be one of his most bold films
Get Out - a event in time, challenging portrait of our times, will probably gain iconic status
Lady Bird - Could become this decade's most beloved portrait of coming to age, will probably become noted as a successful story for female filmmakers
Phantom Thread - Will become a strong part of PTA's canon, and a tour de force for the legendary Daniel Day Lewis
The Post - forgotten
3 Billboards - Backlash will decrease with time, could become a small, but quirky favorite, akin to In Bruges
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: How do you think the Picture nominees of 2018 will be remembered in the future?

Post by bootsy »

Get Out of course is the popular answer for the list of films from this year nominees that will be remembered. I also feel Phantom Thread and Dunkirk will too. Because PTA and Nolan are pretty much home run hitters every time out. Lady Bird has a chance especially if we start seeing copycats of a movie like that. TSOW will be remembered because it won even if you forget it you will go look up who won in 2018 and then be like 'Oh yeah I remember'. The rest most likely won't be remembered.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: How do you think the Picture nominees of 2018 will be remembered in the future?

Post by Rob »

letmeintomyzone wrote: 3 Billboards - Backlash will decrease with time, could become a small, but quirky favorite, akin to In Bruges
Is the backlash for Three Billboards really that big? Now I don't live in America, but I do work in the film branch and this is a very, very rare film that everyone actually seems to agree on is very good, from casual, mainstream audiences looking just for entertainment to cinephiles who demand more. There are flaws in the film, but it seems that the backlash is only there in a few clickbait-like articles on sites that interpret the movie in odd ways. I don't know how many people I spoke about this one (it is actually a successful film around these parts) and it seems one of the least divisive movies I've ever come across. The only one that comes close in recent years is perhaps Manchester by the Sea (not even Casey Affleck's personal controversy could hurt that one).

It's always hard to predict which films will be remembered and which ones won't. I agree with the assessment that the acclaimed careers of Nolan and Anderson will keep Dunkirk and Phantom Thread in the picture, whether they'll be seen as high points or not. Perhaps Shape of Water too, though Del Toro doesn't quite have the consistent career of the other two guys. The Post doesn't quite work the same way as the filmography of Spielberg is too large and it would surprise me if this one will ever be cited as an example of the man's genius. Directors like Greta Gerwig, Jordan Peele and to a lesser extent Martin McDonagh still have to develop their careers as directors to see where that all goes.

I doubt Lady Bird will become a template for future coming of age films, though, as that is a very developed genre already, whose template Lady Bird already follows. Lady Bird's strength is more in the details in the lives it observes than in its innovation.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”