letmeintomyzone
Different Class

TSPDT Series, #95

Post by letmeintomyzone »

bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: TSPDT Series, #95

Post by bootsy »

I'll admit I've only seen this movie once when I was a kid and barely remember it. For some reason this movie never interested me that much. I will try to revisit it at some. I know the premise of the movie and all the famous quotes and the consensus love for it but those who enjoy this movie what is it that stands out for you?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Part of Jaws is just the historical significance; it codified the blockbuster structure that still carries the Hollywood film industry to this day...whether or not that's a good thing is up to the individual. It's to the mainstream cinema of 1975 onward what Pulp Fiction was to 1994 through I'd say the present. It influenced a sea of imitators, and makes everything look a whole lot easier than it is. You can see reflections of it in Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Goonies, and dozens of others, up through modern hits like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Steven Spielberg simply is a master of suspense; the pacing of Jaws is phenomenal. Every moment is drawn to a boiling point, and its highest moments truly showcase what cinema does best. The most famous moment of the film is its opening; a lone swimmer is attacked by a shark. There are many ways to shoot such a scene; one could simply shoot from a distance and call it a day. Spielberg creates a cinematic fury by having the camera become the shark. In a way, we become complicit in the shark's actions; we are in step with the 'villain' as he attacks his prey.

Another key scene occurs when Brody realizes something is happening at the beach. Instead of simply relying on Scheider's acting, Spielberg amplifies it with an advanced zoom technique:
It's as if the whole earth is collapsing around him. It's this sense of exaggeration that really drives the idea of blockbusters. Even in the rare case a blockbuster story could actually happen, it sacrifices realistic aesthetics for the chaos of cinema.

While the narrative of Jaws (and later blockbusters) can be viewed as simple, their key selling point is how they fuse technique into narrative. For these works, films aren't a method of telling a story, but rather narrative is a tool to link more engaging cinematic imagery. You're not going to find any grand statement about the world; what blockbusters sell you are an experience the real world can't offer.

So, a work like Jaws ends up in an all-time top 100 because it's a film about having fun with film. Though it's easy to look at the TSPDT top 100 and assume critics are looking for rather serious narrative works, most of these films are actually there for their cinematic technique. Jaws, by keeping its narrative so low, becomes an exercise in pure technique. There is a sense of raw kinetic energy in Jaws that is rarely found in films before it, and few fully capture after its release (or they do so while also adding unnecessary fluff to the narrative that ultimately detract from the energy).

Though that's not to detract from Jaws' narrative structure; this is a good example of an average story told exceptionally well. The atmosphere of dread that builds throughout the work really sells it; a film like this can make its narrative feel so much bigger than it is. This is a story told through emotion.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

That dolly zoom gif is hypnotic.

If anyone is wondering how it's done, it's when you take the camera and zoom in while moving the camera back, or by zooming out while moving the camera forward.

Great movie. I rated it an 8/10.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

This is a movie all about capturing atmosphere and building stress. Spielberg couldn't get the shark to work, but not showing it off helps preserve the surprise.

It is said no Best Film list is complete without Jaws. I can totally see why.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Reading what people are saying, I feel bad about giving this the lowest score so far. I simply do not like Spielberg, but somehow I actually like this movie. The gif Bleu posted is of an absolutely iconic shot that I have never ever forgotten. In fact, it's probably is tied for first place alongside the memorable opening scene as the best moments in the movie. I urge bootsy to watch this, because this is honestly probably right up his alley.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

This is some good input. I'm definitely going to rewatch this. If there is a good Blu-Ray out there as far as quality then I will definitely buy it.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bootsy wrote:This is some good input. I'm definitely going to rewatch this. If there is a good Blu-Ray out there as far as quality then I will definitely buy it.
It's Jaws. Of course, there's probably tons of great blu-rays out there.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote:This is some good input. I'm definitely going to rewatch this. If there is a good Blu-Ray out there as far as quality then I will definitely buy it.
It's Jaws. Of course, there's probably tons of great blu-rays out there.
You never know, older movies sometimes have crappy transfers on Blu-Ray but I found this and the reviews are very good:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jaws-Blu- ... serReviews

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”