RIP Robert Osborne 1932-2017

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

RIP Robert Osborne 1932-2017

Post by whuntva »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/movi ... .html?_r=0

Robert was one of the factors that got me interested in movies in the first place. He may not be such a recognizable name to most, but he is an important figure to my film odyssey. This was about as impacting to me as when Roger Ebert died.

I remember when I was eight years old. Mom had just recently gotten cable, and I walked in and she was watching Turner Classic Movies. The first movie I saw on TCM was Seventh Voyage of Sinbad during Harryhausen night. Robert came on at the end (I missed the beginning) and he gave the information about the production and stars of the movie. I thought all this information was cool and I listened more to what this smart man had to say. And I was hooked. It was thanks to Robert I discovered the Marx Brothers, Douglas Fairbanks, the old silent masters, Charles Laughton, and all the old MGM musicals. He knew how to be an MC, and he did his job well. His one-on-one talks during TCM Essentials got me up close and personal, and I grew to respect the man and admire his knowledge for films.

Robert was more than a TV host. He was a guide. He was a teacher with his craft. He was the nice relative who let you sit in your fireplace and watch old movies with him. It felt like I really knew him even though I was watching through a television. He inspired my love of movies, and when I write my reviews, I try to sound half as knowledgeable as he.

This is a really sad day for me. I know TCM will never be the same after this.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: RIP Robert Osborne 1932-2017

Post by babydoll »

The first movie I ever saw on the channel was Pride and Prejudice with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. It was happened to be an Essentials with Robert Osborne and Carrie Fisher who passed away a few months ago. What a sad coincidence.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”