Should we do a Greatest Directors of All Time poll?

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Should we do a Greatest Directors of All Time poll?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

I'm curious, since my other favorite forum, AwardsWatch, recently voted on their favorite directors of all time
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: Should we do a Greatest Directors of All Time poll?

Post by whuntva »

We had one recently. Talk to Jimmyjazz about it.

We could always do another as these lists could always use an update.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Yeah we had a directors poll about two years ago (hosted by JimmyJazz).
Here is the link to the results. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2465

However if someone wants to run one I will participate for sure.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

As Petri noted there was a relatively recent director's poll, so perhaps an alternative poll? I would like to suggest the greatest acting performances of all time... like Daniel Day Lewis in No Country for Old Men, Robert De Niro in Raging Bull, Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice, etc.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Dexter wrote:As Petri noted there was a relatively recent director's poll, so perhaps an alternative poll? I would like to suggest the greatest acting performances of all time... like Daniel Day Lewis in No Country for Old Men, Robert De Niro in Raging Bull, Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice, etc.
Agreed!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I mean Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood. I don't know why I confuse those 2 films. Javier Bardem's performance is also great in No Country for Old Men.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Dexter wrote:As Petri noted there was a relatively recent director's poll, so perhaps an alternative poll? I would like to suggest the greatest acting performances of all time... like Daniel Day Lewis in No Country for Old Men, Robert De Niro in Raging Bull, Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice, etc.
Has the forum ever done a best actors poll in general? I feel like that would be cool to do before jumping into specific performances. I'd enjoy either poll though!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

A best actor's poll in general is cool too but voters probably are more suspect to succumb to the cult of personality than say a best directors poll. I'm more interested where Maria Falconetti in The Passion of Joan of Arc or David Thewlis in Naked ranks in a poll rather than where Johnny Depp or Leonard Dicaprio ranks as best actors. Either way, I would also enjoy and participate in both polls. If ever the greatest performances poll pushes through I think ranking all in history is a mammoth task, maybe let's just pare it down to the greatest performances in the 1990s since we are about to wrap-up the 90's movies poll the 90's film performances are still fresh in our minds.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Actors also have my preference for this year.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I would love to have a directors poll, but it's going to take me a long time to attach the films to directors in my spreadsheet I'm working on.

Actors might be more fun in the mean time. It has me thinking, maybe we could do a AM Oscars with cinematographers, costume design etc. It could be interesting to have some nomination threads that bring these aspects of film to light.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Maschine_Man wrote:I would love to have a directors poll, but it's going to take me a long time to attach the films to directors in my spreadsheet I'm working on.

Actors might be more fun in the mean time. It has me thinking, maybe we could do a AM Oscars with cinematographers, costume design etc. It could be interesting to have some nomination threads that bring these aspects of film to light.
Quite an interesting idea indeed. I would join such a poll.
Or do you mean just for 2016?
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Overall!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Guys,
Based on the previous posts, everyone is on board with doing a top 100 Actors/Actresses of all time poll. Since no one stepped up, you all okay with me running the poll? It will be my first endeavor and I'm not confident that I will do as great as a job as Petri or BleuPanda before him but I will try my best with the free time I have.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Dexter wrote:Guys,
Based on the previous posts, everyone is on board with doing a top 100 Actors/Actresses of all time poll. Since no one stepped up, you all okay with me running the poll? It will be my first endeavor and I'm not confident that I will do as great as a job as Petri or BleuPanda before him but I will try my best with the free time I have.
Can we make it the Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time? I feel like most people may end up voting for the best movie stars, not necessary the greatest actors/actresses. For example, I think Marilyn Monroe will probably have more votes than a character actress like Beulah Bondi.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

babydoll wrote:
Dexter wrote:Can we make it the Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time? I feel like most people may end up voting for the best movie stars, not necessary the greatest actors/actresses. For example, I think Marilyn Monroe will probably have more votes than a character actress like Beulah Bondi.
I guess that would pull-in more votes and give more chances to those more known in the comedy and action genre to be included. I trust AMFers will vote wisely (please no Adam Sandler).
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Dexter wrote:
babydoll wrote:Can we make it the Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time? I feel like most people may end up voting for the best movie stars, not necessary the greatest actors/actresses. For example, I think Marilyn Monroe will probably have more votes than a character actress like Beulah Bondi.
I guess that would pull-in more votes and give more chances to those more known in the comedy and action genre to be included. I trust AMFers will vote wisely (please no Adam Sandler).
Great that you’re volunteering Dexter. :)
I think this should be favorite actors/actresses poll no matter how big stars they are/were. Of course big Hollywood stars will do fine (probably better than in director/movie polls) but I don’t want to exclude some of my favorite actors/actresses just because they aren’t famous stars enough. And especially I don’t want to end up in the situation where people like Setsuko Hara or Max von Sydow (or even Philip Seymour Hoffman) will end up in the top 100 and after that some forumers comment that they would have voted for them but didn’t think they are film stars in their country.
Favorite is also different than greatest so it’s perfectly fine to vote for actors like Arnold Schwarzenegger if you like his movies.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Petri wrote:Great that you’re volunteering Dexter. :)
I think this should be favorite actors/actresses poll no matter how big stars they are/were. Of course big Hollywood stars will do fine (probably better than in director/movie polls) but I don’t want to exclude some of my favorite actors/actresses just because they aren’t famous stars enough. And especially I don’t want to end up in the situation where people like Setsuko Hara or Max von Sydow (or even Philip Seymour Hoffman) will end up in the top 100 and after that some forumers comment that they would have voted for them but didn’t think they are film stars in their country.
Favorite is also different than greatest so it’s perfectly fine to vote for actors like Arnold Schwarzenegger if you like his movies.
Thanks Petri! I hope you won't mind me copying your format for the rollout.
You hit the nail in this one. My greatest actors/actresses are not necessarily movie stars nor my most favorite, and my favorite are not always the greatest. I'm with you on basing this poll on actors/actresses' with the best/greatest/top acting skills based on their overall body of work. Like, no matter how I adored Renée Jeanne Falconetti' based on her performance in 'The Passion of Joan of Arc', I would not give her a spot on the list considering that it was the only film she acted on.
PetShopBoy
The Only Way Is Up

Post by PetShopBoy »

I vote for Greatest Director!
But I am new - so what do I know.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

PetShopBoy wrote:I vote for Greatest Director!
But I am new - so what do I know.
Welcome to AMF PetShopBoy. :greetings-waveyellow: There's an ongoing Actors/Actresses Poll, if you'd like to participate.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”