2022 Sight & Sound Poll

babydoll
Movin' On Up

2022 Sight & Sound Poll

Post by babydoll »

I know this is a bit early and that there are six more years until the 2022 Sight & Sound poll, but I'm wandering if there's any predictions?

My most important prediction and want is Sight & Sound finally asks critics for top 25, no longer top 10.

These are my predictions for the top 30 in the critics' poll:
01 | Vertigo | Alfred Hitchcock
- This is a masterpiece, and considering the huge amount of individual lists this film was featured on, there is no reason why it shouldn't still be number one.
02 | Tokyo Story | Yasujiro Ozu
- Asian cinema has gotten a well-deserved reappraisal. Ozu has been highlighted as the master of Japanese cinema. His greatest film, Tokyo Story, still resonates with audiences to this day, and the film could someday be number one.
03 | 2001: A Space Odyssey | Stanley Kubrick
- This film is still surprisingly modern. Stanley Kubrick could be the new generation's Alfred Hitchcock. 2001: A Space Odyssey will easily be in the top five next time around after being #6 in both 2002 & 2012.
04 | Citizen Kane | Orson Welles
- I can only predict a continual drop for this film as time has screwed the film over in its continual praise. It's frankly gotten to the point of being overrated. It's great, but overrated and fresh faces will only see that.
05 | The Rules of the Game | Jean Renoir
- This film is great, but isn't as praised as it used to. It hurts dropping this film, but it still had a great run.
06 | Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans | F.W. Murnau
- This will be the token silent film. Its cinematography is still amongst the most beautiful ever put on celluloid (digital films are put on celluloid) and the images still speak multiple words about the meaning of human relationships.
07 | Man with a Movie Camera | Dziga Vertov
- This film is still so fresh! It breaks a lot of rules and it was released almost 90 years ago!
08 | Breathless | Jean-Luc Godard
- This film seems to be rising for both its historical importance and its great fresh filmmaking. Plus Godard will probably have died by then or at least retired.
09 | Apocalypse Now | Francis Ford Coppola
- Who can believe this film was a blockbuster? It's so atypical to today's blockbusters, and plus the Vietnam setting for the adaptation of Heart of Darkness is more than fitting.
10 | 8 1/2 | Federico Fellini
- This is Fellini's magnum opus (frankly Roma is better) as it deals with a director trying to make a new movie. Unforgettable images and relevancy with directors will only make this a popular movie for years to come.
11 | The Passion of Joan of Arc | Carl Theodor Dreyer
- This is an unforgettable film. Falconetti has one of the most haunting faces in cinema history. This film is probably one of the most creepiest ever filmed. Plus Joan of Arc is a feminist icon.
12 | Persona | Ingmar Bergman
- Criterion finally did this film justice. After that awful MGM disc with an audio commentary that surprised me with its intellectual idiocy (if it can be considered intellectual at all), Criterion brought a fresh face to this striking film. Great performances and great character depths in a world where individuality matters.
13 | Andrei Rublev | Andrei Tarkovsky
- Andrei Tarkovsky will only gain popularity as a director. Andrei Rublev will probably be his most popular film, especially if Criterion is finished restoring this by 2022!
14 | Au Hasard Balthazar | Robert Bresson
- Bresson is a gut-wrenching director, and his human stories will only gain relevancy. This film is already considered to be his masterpiece; a slight jump for it is inevitable.
15 | Battleship Potemkin | Sergei Eisenstein
- It's an important movie, but that Odessa Steps sequence is the only exciting part of the film and even that has been butchered to pieces in following movies over the years. Plus Eisenstein has better movies out there. The movie will drop.
16 | Mirror | Andrei Tarkovsky
- Andrei Tarkovsky is a popular director and this film seems to be considered his magnum opus, and while it will rise, it will be prevented by the fact the Kino disc is shit.
17 | Contempt | Jean-Luc Godard
- This is color as never seen before and never seen since. This is also a masterpiece on filmmaking. Plus Brigitte Bardot back then, man...
18 | In the Mood for Love | Wong Kar-wai
- This is a modern film, but set in the 1960s. Recipe for praise and climbing up the list.
19 | Seven Samurai | Akira Kurosawa
- Seven Samurai is still an interesting film, but it will just drop slightly due to the other films.
20 | Taxi Driver | Martin Scorsese
- Martin Scorsese is a great director, and Taxi Driver seems to be now regarded as his masterpiece. How can it not go up?
21 | The Godfather | Francis Ford Coppola
- It's still a goddamn popular film.
22 | L'Atalante | Jean Vigo
- It drops, but is not forgotten.
23 | L'avventura | Michelangelo Antonioni
- Slightly drops, but still hangs on due to Criterion release of the most recent restoration which looks great.
24 | Late Spring | Yasujiro Ozu
- Slightly drops, but only due to the onslaught of the other films. It's still remembered fondly like L'Atalante.
25 | Rashomon | Akira Kurosawa
- See #19, #22, and #24.
26 | Pather Panchali | Satyajit Ray
- Criterion finally released a great collection of the newly restored Apu trilogy. Pather Panchali, still considered Ray's masterpiece, is more available to audience.
27 | Bicycle Thieves | Vittorio De Sica
- It rises for both its historical importance and it's benefitted by the 25 films ballots.
28 | Mulholland Dr. | David Lynch
- Still considered great.
29 | Shoah | Claude Lanzmann
- A nine-hour documentary on the Holocaust? Need I say more?
30 | A Brighter Summer Day | Edward Yang
- It's finally out on home video and beautifully restored!
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Re: 2022 Sight & Sound Poll

Post by Chambord »

babydoll wrote: My most important prediction and want is Sight & Sound finally asks critics for top 25, no longer top 10.
Mmm, don't see that happening tbh. What will increase, and significantly so, will be the number of participants on both crix and directors sides. Increasing also the spots in the personal tops will give them too much to work :) I'd love to see it happening but it's unlikely.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”