The schedule of movie polls

When should the voting for best movies of 1990 start

Right away
No votes
Right after 2009 poll (16th of June)
33%
Right after the voting in the final has ended (16 th of July) (DL of 1999 poll would be 31st of December)
33%
After the results have been released (1st of August) (DL of 1999 poll would be 15th of January)
33%

Total votes: 9

Petri
Feeling Good

The schedule of movie polls

Post by Petri »

Greg wrote:Petri, what is the voting schedule for the rest of this year? Apologies if it's already posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
Thanks for asking I doubt there isn't exact info about that.

The voting of the final top 150 will begin right after I have released the results of 2009 poll (and started a thread about voting in the final) at 16th of June. I think there should be a month to vote for in final (because people may want to (re)watch movies they haven't seen (for a while) and because of summer many are on vacation.
After 16th of July I release the results of top 150 movies of 2000s.

The 1990 poll will start at the beginning of August or at 16th of July. The voting time for a poll is always a month and I will start a new year thread every fortnight (practically twice a month) (same way like in 2000s poll).

You can vote for your favorite option but I really support the options Right after voting of final or After the results.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: The schedule of movie polls

Post by BleuPanda »

I'll throw my support behind the third option; I've been trying (and failing) to watch along with the movies that moved on that I haven't yet seen; it's nice to have that month long period as a catch-up. Once the results are submitted, I'll feel free to try again with the 90s.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, one thing I'm curious about: is a single month for the last poll long enough for everyone? While I like going at this pace (much better than spending an entire year on a single decade after already having done so), one problem is it doesn't give much time to catch up with what we've missed. Would it be too much to ask for a little bit more catch-up time? But I guess it isn't necessary if people would rather get on with it...

What it basically comes down to is:
1 month between each yearly poll with 10 results: I could easily watch all 10 before the next results, even if I somehow hadn't seen a single one. What actually happens is that I've already seen 7 or 8 and only need to watch a couple movies per month
15 days between results with 15 results: Even if I've seen 2/3rds of the movies from a given year, that leaves me with having to watch one of the remaining every couple days to keep up

While this kind of works now (I actually have seen about 2/3rds of the movies already for the 2000s), that won't be the case for the 90s poll; for 1990 itself, I'm not sure I've even seen 10 movies. Watching a movie from the poll every 2 days or so to keep up is a bit much.

Does anyone else feel this way? I don't know how many others feel the need to watch as much as they can with these polls. All I'd ask for is, I don't know, a month and a half or two for final submissions.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

BleuPanda wrote:Also, one thing I'm curious about: is a single month for the last poll long enough for everyone? While I like going at this pace (much better than spending an entire year on a single decade after already having done so), one problem is it doesn't give much time to catch up with what we've missed. Would it be too much to ask for a little bit more catch-up time? But I guess it isn't necessary if people would rather get on with it...
On the last round we started with fast pace (three weeks per year) and slowed it down (extended the voting time to one month) when people asked for it (maybe during the 60s or 70s). According what people have voted for in this thread it seems that at least now many doesn't want extra time for the final (one third have voted for the options that 90s poll should have started already).
I understand it's going to be a big job for cathing-up half of the finalists (or more) during six month (10 polls = 5 month + final month) but I guess the bigger problem (at least for me) is going to be the fact that some movies are very hard to get (I still haven't seen some (Asian) classics from early 1990s). But yeah if people need extra time let me know.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Petri wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Also, one thing I'm curious about: is a single month for the last poll long enough for everyone? While I like going at this pace (much better than spending an entire year on a single decade after already having done so), one problem is it doesn't give much time to catch up with what we've missed. Would it be too much to ask for a little bit more catch-up time? But I guess it isn't necessary if people would rather get on with it...
On the last round we started with fast pace (three weeks per year) and slowed it down (extended the voting time to one month) when people asked for it (maybe during the 60s or 70s). According what people have voted for in this thread it seems that at least now many doesn't want extra time for the final (one third have voted for the options that 90s poll should have started already).
I understand it's going to be a big job for cathing-up half of the finalists (or more) during six month (10 polls = 5 month + final month) but I guess the bigger problem (at least for me) is going to be the fact that some movies are very hard to get (I still haven't seen some (Asian) classics from early 1990s). But yeah if people need extra time let me know.

Speaking of Asian films from the early 90s, now that A Brighter Summer Day has been released through Criterion, everyone needs to check it out. I just watched it this past weekend, and it easily places in my top 25 of all time. So many layers to this film, yet Edward Yang never loses track of its theme. 4 hours can be quite intimidating, but its worth it.

Unrelated to the polls, watching A Brighter Summer Day also means I have now watched all of the films in the top 100 on TSPDT!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

BleuPanda wrote:
Petri wrote:

Speaking of Asian films from the early 90s, now that A Brighter Summer Day has been released through Criterion, everyone needs to check it out. I just watched it this past weekend, and it easily places in my top 25 of all time. So many layers to this film, yet Edward Yang never loses track of its theme. 4 hours can be quite intimidating, but its worth it.

Unrelated to the polls, watching A Brighter Summer Day also means I have now watched all of the films in the top 100 on TSPDT!
I saw it too and very much enjoyed it. My Top 100 was completed in February with Pickpocket.

But I am curious also about Mother and the Whore, also just outside the Top 100. The only version I could find was on Youtube and incomplete with bad subtitling.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

whuntva wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:
Petri wrote:

I saw it too and very much enjoyed it. My Top 100 was completed in February with Pickpocket.

But I am curious also about Mother and the Whore, also just outside the Top 100. The only version I could find was on Youtube and incomplete with bad subtitling.

The fun thing is, a few years back, The Mother and the Whore was my last film in the top 100. I was happy to see it fell out for this specific reason, only for me to notice ABSD jumped in. I was at 99 for a long time. I only have 10 films left in the top 200, but The Mother and the Whore and Napoleon are both near impossible to find in a good form (unless I missed something), and The Travelling Players also looks fairly hard to find. At the same time, their lack of availability adds to the hype, because if a film manages to nearly crack the top 100 while being largely unavailable to the public, those who have managed to see it must really freaking love them.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”