AMF All-Time Film Project: Write-Up Assistance

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

AMF All-Time Film Project: Write-Up Assistance

Post by BleuPanda »

As I wrote in the topic on the music forum, I don't feel happy with this final result. I want to make this the best damn presentation I can, but what we're really lacking here is the 'why': why were these the films we chose? This will be the process (This will delay the results a bit, but it's probably best if I start on the weekend anyway. Since I'm focusing on just the top 100 with this, I can still begin at #250 without a problem):

1) Get people to sign up (post here to let me know you're interested)
2) Once people sign up, I will make a cycle out of contacting them and getting them to claim a handful of films. I will keep cycling around until every film in the top 100 has someone working on the write-up (I'll try to make sure no one else sees the full list, just bits and pieces)
3) Everyone writes ~150-200 words about each film they have claimed, exploring why it deserved placement on this list, and send it back to me

Should be easy.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: AMF All-Time Film Project: Write-Up Assistance

Post by Nick »

I'm interested in being a writer, and have no problem writing up to a dozen or so entries.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

I'm actually very busy at the moment and my English skills are bit limited to impress why I appreciate and love some movies and why they deserve their placement on the list but I'm still volunteering to write some comments.

And if there's still a chance to revote I finally rewatched Yi Yi and like expected I liked it more than I remembered (I remembered it was good but didn't remember the story too well) (or liked it more this time). So if it's still possible (and doesn't mean too much extra work for you Bleu) Yi Yi would be my new #110 (instead of #167).
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I'm very very interested. I'm willing to write one for every one of my top 30 films. Plus mediocre reviews to all the other films.

Edit: Hell, we could use excerpts from good reviews of movies by critics. I'd love to help dig out reviews then, if you're interested.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Hi BleuPanda,

I can't really write any write-up for those movies, but I could help gather reviews or praises from critics and journalists. That's what has been done in some albums or songs polls, and it's much less work, that's also what TSPDT don't they do (arguably you could go the lazy way and just pick the TSPDT extract actually, almost all the movies we selected are in there).
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I would be willing to write some lines about 10 or so films (although I already did in the comments section), but I do think 150-200 words is a bit too much timewise to be honest.
Nassim's idea sounds pretty clever and a bit easier by the way.

Anyway, looking forward to the results and whatever comments will come along with them!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I'll write for a handful. The best time for me would be this Thursday and Friday.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I don't agree with putting the reviews or praises from critics and journalists. Where's the fun in that? Anyways, there are more than enough people here willing to write their opinions of a film. If you look at past poll results the comments will come. I'm more interested in their thoughts than those of critics and journalists.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, TSPDT makes sense quoting critic's lists because those critics are the ones deciding the list. Certainly they weren't actively involved in TSPDT themselves, but it is representing their voice. The guy who runs TSPDT very well could hate every film on the list, or adore every single one, but none of that would matter; it is a list representing critics. Meanwhile, our list only represents ourselves, so drawing on critics would be ignoring our own reasons.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, what I'm doing now is rotating through those who have signed up. I sent a list of films for Nick to choose from, and once he does, I move onto the next person. I'm picking everyone's personal favorites that made it into the top 100 (i.e., I chose 5 from my top 10, then I gave Nick his top 10 with my choices removes, etc.). Once Nick gets back to me, I'll move on to Petri, and so on.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'd definitely love to sign up to write, but I also have still yet to submit my list, which I'll be doing in the next twenty minutes. Sorry!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

You can still contribute to writing! I'll start with 250 today, and it will take a few days to get to 100, so you'd have all that time.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Awesome! And the list is in. And I must say, I'm a huge fan of your new display picture - Vincent Adultman was what convinced me to give Bojack a chance and I'm so glad that I did
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

luney6 wrote:I'm very very interested. I'm willing to write one for every one of my top 30 films. Plus mediocre reviews to all the other films.
Sorry to step in here without voting in the poll, and to step on your toes in particular, luney6, but I'm curious if you really only like 30 of these films? It just don't seem any fun to me to be so critical. All films I see basically fall on a scale from decent to awesome. If not I would not continue to watch films.

I'm sorry if you feel offended by the question.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere where you can see an entire list of the eligible candidates?
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

I can also write a few if you let me know which of my favorites are still needed.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Henrik wrote:
luney6 wrote:I'm very very interested. I'm willing to write one for every one of my top 30 films. Plus mediocre reviews to all the other films.
Sorry to step in here without voting in the poll, and to step on your toes in particular, luney6, but I'm curious if you really only like 30 of these films? It just don't seem any fun to me to be so critical. All films I see basically fall on a scale from decent to awesome. If not I would not continue to watch films.

I'm sorry if you feel offended by the question.
No problem at all Henrik.

The thing is, and I forgot to mention this, that I have seen only 69 of the films given here :P.
Out of the ones I have seen, I would give the first 30 at least an 85 and above. Most of the rest are mediocre to decent.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I definitely wouldn't mind doing this but won't be able to. I'm having surgery next week and probably won't be much help. If you do need my help I'm here and I'll try the best I can for you Bleu. :greetings-waveyellow:
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Best of luck with your surgery!

As far as how this project is going, we're naturally getting hitches because passing the list around can take a while on an International forum. However, if we do run out of time, I've seen 99 of the top 100, and in case it hasn't been made clear, I have a positive opinion of pretty much every film I've seen in the list; I'll be able to whip something up for whatever remains. It will just look nicer if I'm not the only one speaking.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:Best of luck with your surgery!

As far as how this project is going, we're naturally getting hitches because passing the list around can take a while on an International forum. However, if we do run out of time, I've seen 99 of the top 100, and in case it hasn't been made clear, I have a positive opinion of pretty much every film I've seen in the list; I'll be able to whip something up for whatever remains. It will just look nicer if I'm not the only one speaking.
Thank you and seriously I will help if you need me.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Note: the rest of this post contains the top 100 films. Do not read further if you don't want spoiled and you haven't caught up in the main topic.

These are the films that haven't been claimed that I also either don't remember well enough or don't like enough to feel like I should be the voice behind why they're here, so please claim them if you can:
Andrei Rublev
Boogie Nights
Breaking the Waves
Chinatown
Freaks
Gone With the Wind
Naked (note: this is the one film I haven't seen, so it's the most urgent for someone else to write about)
Paris, Texas
Raging Bull
The Apartment
The Lives of Others
The Third Man
To Be or Not to Be

These are the rest of the films that still need someone to claim them (I will try to provide where others can't, but that will slow down my reveal of the top 100):
12 Angry Men
A Clockwork Orange
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Alien
Blade Runner
Blue Velvet
Children of Paradise
City Lights
Dancer in the Dark
Dekalog
Do the Right Thing
Double Indemnity
Duck Soup
Fargo
Goodfellas
M
Metropolis
Modern Times
Once Upon a Time in the West
Ordet
Seven Samurai
Singin' in the Rain
Solyaris
Some Like It Hot
Sunrise
The 400 Blows
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Elephant Man
The General
The Godfather: Part II
The Gold Rush
The Great Dictator
The Night of the Hunter
The Red Shoes
The Seventh Seal
The Shining
The Wizard of Oz
Touch of Evil
Trainspotting
Vertigo

And, just because a film has been claimed doesn't mean you can't add more. Here are the rest of the top 100:
American Beauty
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Magnolia
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
WALL-E
Breathless
Come and See
Mulholland Drive
Persona
Rashomon
Spirited Away
Sunset Blvd.
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The Rules of the Game
There Will Be Blood
Wings of Desire
Casablanca
North by Northwest
Rear Window
8 1/2
Apocalypse Now
No Country for Old Men
Stalker
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Citizen Kane
It's a Wonderful Life
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
The Godfather
The Thing
2001: A Space Odyssey
Bicycle Thieves
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Taxi Driver
Annie Hall
Back to the Future
Boyhood
Brazil
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
The Big Lebowski
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Psycho
Tokyo Story
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I know I didn't vote (and, for that record, haven't been on here in a long while, largely because of intense, 24-hour studies), but I was wondering if even people who didn't vote could still write some comments? I would be willing to make a case for nearly any of the, from my eyes, excellent films that made the Top 100. :)
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I don't see why not Jimmy? The more write-ups, the better anyway. And you're a regular, too.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I would love to see your thoughts, Jimmy.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Though if you do want any of these, please post here so me and others can know what not to touch.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

If that is the case, then films that I will tackle will be:

Andrei Rublev
Vertigo
Dekalog
M
Sunrise
City Lights
Chinatown
The Red Shoes
Singin' in the Rain
Raging Bull
Ordet
The Third Man
Touch of Evil
Blade Runner
Blue Velvet
To Be or Not to Be
The Night of the Hunter
The General
Double Indemnity
The Shining
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

>_> Just make sure to check the most recent reveals.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Here's the list of those I need help with, with JimmyJazz's choices removed. I have bolded the ones I doubt I would even be able to attempt:
Boogie Nights
Breaking the Waves
Freaks
Gone With the Wind
Naked (note: this is the one film I haven't seen, so it's the most urgent for someone else to write about)
Paris, Texas
The Apartment
The Lives of Others
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I could do Naked, but not before the weekend I'm afraid.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Since it's been made clear that my opinion has no value on this forum, I don't feel comfortable doing write-ups for any of the films I didn't outright claim. I'll continue posting results once I have the next chunk's write-ups.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

BleuPanda wrote:Since it's been made clear that my opinion has no value on this forum, I don't feel comfortable doing write-ups for any of the films I didn't outright claim. I'll continue posting results once I have the next chunk's write-ups.
It's been a pleasure to read your well-informed and intelligent comments about the movies on the list. And I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks so so I hope you have time and interest to write some more. Even the Star Wars comments when commenting the movie(s) were very interesting and eye-opening. I saw the original trilogy last time when I was 11 or 12 and it has never been among my big favorites (I prefered Back to the Future, Terminator (2) and Die Hard and comedies like Naked Gun and Ace Ventura as a child) but now I really want to see it again and watch it like Koyaanisqatsi or Man with a Movie Camera (the true favorites of mine).
I kind of agree that when we are celebrating the top movies of all time that we have chosen during the years comments like "This movie is just so stupid." maybe are not the best. But it still don't justify (in my eyes) aggressive posts against the commenter. So I hope I can read adept comments about movies and even debate where the writers disagree with each other (about why movie is great/not that great) but I hope the whole debate has a good tune (like we have used to in this great forum). So I hope you all are fine (and will write comments). (And even I try to write some more comments (sorry I still haven't send the comment to Tokyo Story (but M was among the comments I submitted). I try to have time tonight and will send you a Tokyo Story and Paris Texas comments.)
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Petri wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Since it's been made clear that my opinion has no value on this forum, I don't feel comfortable doing write-ups for any of the films I didn't outright claim. I'll continue posting results once I have the next chunk's write-ups.
It's been a pleasure to read your well-informed and intelligent comments about the movies on the list. And I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks so so I hope you have time and interest to write some more. Even the Star Wars comments when commenting the movie(s) were very interesting and eye-opening. I saw the original trilogy last time when I was 11 or 12 and it has never been among my big favorites (I prefered Back to the Future, Terminator (2) and Die Hard and comedies like Naked Gun and Ace Ventura as a child) but now I really want to see it again and watch it like Koyaanisqatsi or Man with a Movie Camera (the true favorites of mine).
I kind of agree that when we are celebrating the top movies of all time that we have chosen during the years comments like "This movie is just so stupid." maybe are not the best. But it still don't justify (in my eyes) aggressive posts against the commenter. So I hope I can read adept comments about movies and even debate where the writers disagree with each other (about why movie is great/not that great) but I hope the whole debate has a good tune (like we have used to in this great forum). So I hope you all are fine (and will write comments). (And even I try to write some more comments (sorry I still haven't send the comment to Tokyo Story (but M was among the comments I submitted). I try to have time tonight and will send you a Tokyo Story and Paris Texas comments.)
I agree with Petri. The reason I wanted to continue this conversation was because I wanted your opinion, as a film student and as a person. But now I feel like I should not have added more fuel to the fire. I am very sorry for what happened in that thread. I will make sure to keep myself in check next time. I hope you continue to post your opinions. Once again, really sorry everyone.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It's not your fault, luney. I think we eventually made some headway.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

BleuPanda wrote:It's not your fault, luney. I think we eventually made some headway.
I'm glad that you think so, and I do too.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I would really love to make a post today; and the fact that I wrote about Gone With the Wind in a positive light means I'm ready for anything; well, anything except one specific thing.

Halp.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Hey Bleu,

I'd be willing to participate in this. I'm not very good at writing long reviews of films but I'm willing to try. There's a first time for everything I guess.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

OK I sent you comments about Naked and Boogie Nights. Hope you can continue the countdown now.
I have also sent you comments about Paris, Texas, Tokyo Story, M, Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies and Psycho.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

If anyone wants to help me, can someone please get me a blurb for The Godfather: Part Two and Seven Samurai today?
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Somewhere there must be someone who likes these two films enough to write something positive about them. How else did they end up in the top 10? :?
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'll try to get the final results up tonight. The problem with The Godfather Part 2 on my end is I haven't seen it in around 10 years. I can probably manage Seven Samurai (and hopefully everyone who claimed the other 8 actually got back to me).

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”