What does this site think of CriticsTop10?

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

What does this site think of CriticsTop10?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Up their with TheyShootPicturesDon'tThey as a legitimate way to get recommendations for films? Also, how far do you think this site can go back to?

http://criticstop10.com/
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: What does this site think of CriticsTop10?

Post by Jirin »

Too few non-English films toward the top.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Not really, mostly for the reason Jirin stated (and not just at the top) and general lack of variation.

It could go back about a hundred years.
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

So, I know people won't care, but CriticsTop10, has recently gotten a hold of some film polls from Patrick McGilligan and Mark Rowland, where they conducted results from US critics for their favorite films of the year, and are currently doing the results for the gaps of C10 (hopefully), which is the 1980s up to 1994. So far, 1980 through 1984 have been added.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Predictable and not really interesting.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

I get what a lot of people are saying in this thread, but I think the site provides a purpose, due to the fact that their's a lot of films out there, and films cause a lot more excitement and buzz around them (look at box-office gross being a huge influence on a film), and often it sticks throughout the film's lifetime, it's arguably a necessity to make a site like this, and I like the ambition of it, and I'm hoping to get earlier recommendations for films, and usually, I can find some recs for films that I may have missed. The problem I can see people having with it, is that it's based on what was popular in it's specific year, and the fact that it does lean towards popular films (Oscar bait usually ranks high in the list, for example), but I genuinely feel happy that a site like this exists. I wish it would have a consistent schedule for the new updates for the late 1980s / early 1990s lists added.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

The site has a nice layout but it needs more content. It is a legitimate source for film recommendations since it tallies the top 10 of critics but I think they should change their formula to give less weight to critics who only list English-language films. The site should go well into the 1930's without running out of quality films.
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Dexter wrote:The site has a nice layout but it needs more content. It is a legitimate source for film recommendations since it tallies the top 10 of critics but I think they should change their formula to give less weight to critics who only list English-language films. The site should go well into the 1930's without running out of quality films.
I dunno how far they can go into the past without running out of material. I think doing the 1970s would be possible, but even then, film criticism kind of grows quiet beyond earlier points of history, and I dunno how long film criticism or popular film criticism, has been around, but I doubt there's going to be enough material to compile a list for, let's say, the 1940s.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

letmeintomyzone wrote:I dunno how far they can go into the past without running out of material. I think doing the 1970s would be possible, but even then, film criticism kind of grows quiet beyond earlier points of history, and I dunno how long film criticism or popular film criticism, has been around, but I doubt there's going to be enough material to compile a list for, let's say, the 1940s.
Now that I think carefully about it, you're right, film criticism gets scarcer the older the year gets. The yearly ranks in Rotten tomatoes goes as far back as 1950 but the list gets smaller by the year while that of metacritic is limited until 1995.
musicforever25
Superunknown

Post by musicforever25 »

Maybe will be good idea, to add some better search options

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”