AM Film Club #9: Close-Up (Kiarostami, 1990)

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

AM Film Club #9: Close-Up (Kiarostami, 1990)

Post by ordinaryperson »

IMDb/Wikipedia/Can I Stream It?
"Internationally revered Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami has created some of the most inventive and transcendent cinema of the past thirty years, and Close-up is his most radical, brilliant work. This fiction-documentary hybrid uses a sensational real-life event—the arrest of a young man on charges that he fraudulently impersonated the well-known filmmaker Mohsen Makhmalbaf—as the basis for a stunning, multilayered investigation into movies, identity, artistic creation, and existence, in which the real people from the case play themselves. With its universal themes and fascinating narrative knots, Close-up has resonated with viewers around the world." - Criterion (Also on TSPDT)
You can review the film, discuss the film, do anything you want to do!
There is No More Firmament.
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Re: AM Film Club #9: Close-Up (Kiarostami, 1990)

Post by Depeche Mode »

Yeah I couldn't get into this. I agree that it's his most radical work perhaps(haven't seen all of course), but I was disappointed to see a movie practically totally built as a court case, everything is told and we have to make out something of that, sure it is a morally gray story but I don't think the way it was shown makes for a good film.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: AM Film Club #9: Close-Up (Kiarostami, 1990)

Post by whuntva »

I should say this is a great idea for a film.

Unfortunately, I don't think the idea translated well.

It was very uneven and was hard to adjust to the narrative parts and separate from the documentary parts

The fact that we barely see the incident and only the buildup and aftermath also very much hurt the film.

7/10. Interesting, but couldn't fully get into it.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”