AM Film Club #8: Marry Poppins (Stevenson, 1964)

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

AM Film Club #8: Marry Poppins (Stevenson, 1964)

Post by ordinaryperson »

IMDb/Wikipedia/Can I Stream It?
"From the turn-of-the-century setting to the perpetual-twilight art direction, Mary Poppins captures Disney's preoccupation with nostalgia and rounded corners, which unkinked many a classic story. But sometimes Disney's casts and crews put some kinks back in. Mary Poppins rides the anarchic energy of Dick Van Dyke (as a night-prowling jack-of-all-trades) and the steely cool of Andrews, who keeps her charges in line with well-placed songs by Richard and Robert Sherman. When Andrews sings them to sleep with the heartbreaking "Feed The Birds," she earns the greatest accolade any entertainer can receive: she changes the mood of the room" - Noel Murray, A.V. Club (Alos on TSPDT)
You can review the film, discuss the film, do anything you want to do!
There is No More Firmament.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: AM Film Club #8: Marry Poppins (Stevenson, 1964)

Post by whuntva »

Another certified classic!

This is able to capture the right amount of whimsy, while also breaking the bank on visual effects. It is able to enchant and also have great songs and topical lessons from Mary herself. It is a beautiful film; even as an adult I can still have fun with it.

It seems almost unfair to call this Disney's answer to The Wizard of Oz, even though I may like Oz a bit better. There is just so much imagination and so much other new stuff Disney tried here, that Mary Poppins is very much its own thing.

10/10. I don't give these out as often as you'd think, but you just seem to be hitting all the 10's I've had for years!
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”