AM Film Club #7: Star Wars (Lucas, 1977)

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

AM Film Club #7: Star Wars (Lucas, 1977)

Post by ordinaryperson »

No I did not purposely choose this.

IMDb/Wikipedia/Can I Stream It
"Lucas's science fiction adventure is an exhilarating update of Flash Gordon, very much in the same half-jokey, half-earnest mood, but backed by special effects that, for once, really work and are intelligently integrated with the story. By this point, Lucas's film has been accused of everything from hazy characterization to crypto-fascism (the finale is, indeed, a restaging of Triumph of the Will), and it has become painfully clear that the film's apparent naivete is anything but—Lucas doesn't make a move without the market research to back him up. But it remains the most appealing film in the subgenre it launched, with its finger on something basic and satisfying." - Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader (Also on TSPDT)
You can review the film, discuss the film, do anything you want to do!
There is No More Firmament.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: AM Film Club #7: Star Wars (Lucas, 1977)

Post by whuntva »

Wasting no time here!

I just recently told my mother there was not a single original idea in this movie. I had even read Dune and the Flash Gordon comics, all of which Star Wars stole from wholesale. However, the movie is still able to work because
it executes these ideas in a way we had not seen yet. It had a great soundtrack, visual we never saw, and a completely unforgettable villain. The sequel, Empire, has some originality to it, but that's a film for another day.

Star Wars is really a miracle film. The studio had no hopes for it, so the mere fact that this exists at all--and just so happened to make money--is something worth commending. The casting is spot-on as well.

Many cite this as giving birth to the modern fanboy. The nitpickers and purists. Those people are somewhat overzealous, but at the same time I do not disagree wholly with what they have to say. With something with this imagination and fun come to life, I don't blame it for spawning the fanboy revolution. It's every young boy's fantasy finally realized.

Needless to say, I gave it a 10/10. I ranked it as high as #11 on my favorite films list!
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”