Questions about future movie decade polls

Petri
Feeling Good

Questions about future movie decade polls

Post by Petri »

Hi
the whole round of monthly movie polls that started in the beginning of 2010 with best movies of 2000 has come close to the final.
I think we should start it again with best films of 2000s (starting with year 2000) in January 2016. I can take care of it.

Here's some questionos and suggestions about the polls

Duration and pace of polls
If we have a poll per month + month for voting and another one for releasing the results the whole thing will last eight (!!) years (assuming that we have early decades poll (1890-1949) same way we had this year). So then we would be voting for the best movies of 2010s in 2023.
Last time we started with faster pace and slowed down later when people needed more time because they had seen less movies per year. So I think we have three options here

a) One poll per month, eight years is just ... eight years
b) Same way as last time first decades with polls that last three weeks then slowing down.
c) Two polls per month (first one starts on 1st day and second one on 15th day of month). You would have a month to vote in each poll (the first poll would be closed on 31st day of month and second one on 14th of next month). The 10 polls would take this way 5,5 months then a month for the final voting and two weeks for releasing the results. So a decade would take seven (7) months (instead of 12) and the whole game would take about 4,5 years (which means we would be voting for best movies of 2019 in spring of 2020 which is maybe a bit too early. But we can slow down the pace in some point of the round.

Scoring
Should we use the scoring

a) we have used here in the 2010s polls (top 20 gets points (50-40-35-30-25-20-18-16-14-12-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1) or
b) the one with earlyt decade polls (top 15 get points 50-40-30-20-15-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1) or
c) should we use scoring we use in the finals (everyone ranks everything they have seen) and the ones voter hasn't seen gets the median score of the voter. Option c means more work not only for the host but for the voter too. There are definitely movies people don't remember they have seen and if they do they can't rank them. Maximum amount of ranked movies should be decided too (and the rest of the movies voter have seen would get score of #max+1). Would maximum be 100 or less (just 50)?

Amount of movies in the final

a) 10 movies per year or
b) 15 movies per year
c) 10 movies year + 50 wild card movies like in songs and albums polls.

Be free to debate and discuss. :)
Last edited by Petri on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petri
Feeling Good

Re: Questions about future movie decade polls

Post by Petri »

I vote for

Duration and pace of polls
c) Two polls per month (first one starts on 1st day and second one on 15th day of month). There's still a month to vote for in each poll.

Scoring
c or a (we can move to option b later when people have seen less movies per year)

Amount of movies in the final
c) 10 movies year + 50 wild card movies like in songs and albums polls.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'd say:
c) Two polls for month - on a second runthrough we'll have a lot of the same films again, so no need to draw it out
a) I don't think 'c' will work with such small data pools. I usually only watch films I want to watch. It works when we're all limited to the same 100 films, but not for an open-ended poll.
a or b) We obviously need to increase it from 10 to make sure more films get a chance
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

1. I'd definitely say option C, two polls per month.
I don't have a very strong opinion about the other questions, but...
2. A or C for the more recent decades
3. B or C for variety
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

1 C: Two polls a month. I have a top 15 (at least) for every year from 1931 to 2014, so it's not much work.
2 A: Top 20. If I dislike a movie I don't want to give it any points.
3 B: Top 15 goes through. Wild cards depend too much on the number of voters.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

bonnielaurel wrote:3 B: Top 15 goes through. Wild cards depend too much on the number of voters.

Not only does it rely on the number of voters, it also prevents us from planning ahead for the rest of the year. I take each individual month's list as a list of what I should watch in the next month for the future poll. Not having those extra 50 films until the final results comes in causes serious interference. Especially if we also double the speed. We need time to watch the movies we haven't already.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”