Films of the 2010s: THE FINAL RESULTS

Petri
Feeling Good

Films of the 2010s: THE FINAL RESULTS

Post by Petri »

It's time for the results of top 100 movies of first five years of 2010s by Acclaimed Music Forumers.

Before I start the countdown here's some things concerning the presentation and the voters.

Fans section: You are fan if the movie is in your top 20 excluding those voters who have voted for less than 40 films. In those cases you are fan of all movies in the upper half of your list (if you voted for 32 movies you are fan of top 16 movies)

Haters section: You are "hater" of the bottom 10 % of your movies (rounded up). So if you voted 80 movies you are hater of 8 movies, 81 movies hater of 9 movies etc. I know many don't (and some who really does) hate a single movie in this top 100 but haters section is often informative and funny.

I want to thank you all who voted. And especially I want to thank all who commented the movies (and very special thanks to Rob who commented all 92 movies he has seen + one he hasn't).

Here are the voters.

antonius (62 movies voted)
BleuPanda (67)
bonnielaurel (81)
Depeche Mode (38)
Future Critic (84)
Gillingham (58)
Greg (55)
Harold (63)
Machine_Man (63)
Michel (79)
Miguel (42)
Nassim (49)
otisredding (32)
Petri (95)
Rob (92)
schaefer.tk (83)
whuntva (74)

The comments concerning the results, movies, presentation etc. are more than welcome but if you want to guess the top 10 etc. please do it in another thread (I will start it later today). There are some people who really wants to avoid spoilers (even based on guessing).

The countdown will start after this thread has some views. :music-guitarred: :music-guitarred:
Last edited by Petri on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petri
Feeling Good

Re: Films of the 2010s: THE FINAL RESULTS

Post by Petri »

OK here's the bottom 5. Two movies without fans (and one of them has neither haters)

100. The Fighter (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.join4movies.info/wp-content/ ... 0x1050.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: David O. Russell[/br]
Main producing country: USA[/br]
Year rank: #17 of 2010[/br]
Voters: 15[/br]
Fans: None[/br]
Haters: Machine_Man #61/63, BleuPanda #64/67[/br]
Comment(s): As cliched as heck, but David O. Russell started his peak as a director here and made it in something that still feels essential. (Rob)

99. Interstellar (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://i1.wp.com/www.behindwoods.com/e ... stills.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Christopher Nolan[/br]
Year rank: #5 of 2014[/br]
Voters: 14[/br]
Fans: Miguel #10[/br]
Haters: Depeche Mode #36/38, Nassim #46/49, Future Critic #78/84[/br]
Comment(s): Big-time nonsense. Horrible plautidous dialogue, all while making a poker face pretending to be so terribly scientific. It's not badly filmed, though not as breathtaking as many said, at least to me. Many analysis ripped this to shreds, so I'm not going to. I'll end on a positive, I love the score. (Depeche Mode)

The more I think about this movie, the less it makes sense… Inception has its plotholes but feeling them was part of them, but nothing in Inception Interstellar? (Petri's color comment) makes sense : the science (despite an overdose of exposition), the characters, the plot… it's not just that it breaks the causality rule (maybe that's the point) or that they'd have to be dumb not to realize 2 signals come from a few seconds from each other not a few years, or that I really doubt you could have so massive waves in so little water... it's also that visually Gravity did way better, that I don't care for non Jessica Chastain characters (ok, maybe Topher Grace and John Lithgow too), that the sound editing is terrible or that everything is so heavy-handed.(Nassim)

It's strange, but about one of the most talked-about movies of the last few years I have little to say. The music is great, I guess. (Rob)

The biggest Nolan fans (bootsy and JWinton) didn't vote in the final and you can see it here. Miguel's last minute top 10 vote didn't help it either. I actually enjoyed watching Interstellar. It was among the better works of Nolan imo (with Prestige and Dark Knight) (Petri)

98. Midnight in Paris (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.woodyallenpages.com/wp-conte ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Woody Allen[/br]
Year rank: #11 of 2011[/br]
Fans: bonnielaurel #6[/br]
Haters: Michel #79/79, Gillingham #58/58, Depeche Mode #37/38, Miguel #40/42, antonius #59/62, schaefer.tk #75/83[/br]
Comment(s): Woody Allen is about the most inconsistent filmmaker I know. He has 4 movies I would surely call masterpieces but a lot of fluff like this too. And I enjoy some of this fluff(Vicky Cristina <3) but not this, been a while but felt pointless and banal, I mean I'm not into time travel either so I don't know if I'm a terribly good critic here. (Depeche Mode)

People who dissmiss anything Woody Allen after the mid-nineties are provenwrong once again. This is one of his more charming works: an ode to Paris, the thirties, art and also unexpectedly awarning against taking longing for an earlier period too far. (Rob)

97. Killing Them Softly (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/media/2012/ ... colour.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Andrew Dominik[/br]
Year rank: #14 of 2012[/br]
Voters: 9[/br]
Fans: Gillingham #20[/br]
Haters: schaefer.tk #83/83, Rob #87/92, bonnielaurel #75/81, antonius #56/62[/br]
Comment(s): This movie felt too written for me, like a set of ideas, theories and concepts that just was never really brought to life. (Rob)

96. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://orig14.deviantart.net/f5c8/f/201 ... 4k3axr.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Brad Bird[/br]
Year rank: #17 of 2011[/br]
Voters: 6[/br]
Haters: None[/br]
Comment(s): This is surely one of the more unexpected entries in this list. It's a likeable enough action movie, but people will have to explain to me what makes it all that special. (Rob)

Like Rob I was also surprised this was in the final. It got two very high votes in the first round from Stone37 (#2) and bootsy (#4). Neither of them voted in the final. There weren't fans but neither haters. Enjoyable but nothing special. (Petri)
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Interesting start of the countdown. Hadn't expected The Fighter and especially Interstellar to end up so low.

Guess I am one of the few here who appreciated Killing Me Softly.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

The Fighter lost by a mile. It was total knock-out. The difference in points between #100 and #99 was over 37 points. You can find bigger differences between two consecutive movies only in top 10. Harold was actually the only one who put it in his upper half in his list #27/63.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Great start indeed. Looking forward to the rest of the results. I actually did expect The Fighter to do badly. It's not the type of movie that many people tend to rank high. When making predictions in my head about which movies would rank low in the list I immediately predicted The Fighter as one of the last 10. I expected Interstellar to do very well however, because everyone seems to love that movie beyond comprehension. Not here, I guess. Although I didn't expect Midnight in Paris to be a major player (more along the 50's or something) I'm still surprised it did badly here.

Also sorry for some bad spelling in my comments. Adding those was really a last minute decision yesterday and I didn't have time to proof read.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Rob wrote:Also sorry for some bad spelling in my comments. Adding those was really a last minute decision yesterday and I didn't have time to proof read.
Same for me, hence the Interstellar/Inception typo.
Petri wrote: The biggest Nolan fans (bootsy and JWinton) didn't vote in the final and you can see it here. Miguel's last minute top 10 vote didn't help it either. I actually enjoyed watching Interstellar. It was among the better works of Nolan imo (with Prestige and Dark Knight) (Petri)
Inception and Interstellar are the 2 Nolan movies I like the least (makes me think he might be the only director I have seen every movies of), though Inception at least has its moments (the Joseph Gordon Levitt fight or the Paris scene).
Rob wrote:Great start indeed. Looking forward to the rest of the results. I actually did expect The Fighter to do badly. It's not the type of movie that many people tend to rank high. When making predictions in my head about which movies would rank low in the list I immediately predicted The Fighter as one of the last 10. I expected Interstellar to do very well however, because everyone seems to love that movie beyond comprehension. Not here, I guess. Although I didn't expect Midnight in Paris to be a major player (more along the 50's or something) I'm still surprised it did badly here.
The things that makes the prediction hard is that a movie everybody has seen and that is mostly disliked will end up much lower that a movie only 5 people have seen and disliked.
Which makes it very surprising that Mission Impossible ended that low with no hater.
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

Good start, don't expect my last movie to show up soon but I don't care for the bottom 3 at all.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Nassim wrote: The things that makes the prediction hard is that a movie everybody has seen and that is mostly disliked will end up much lower that a movie only 5 people have seen and disliked.
Which makes it very surprising that Mission Impossible ended that low with no hater.
Mission Impossible was in bottom quartil of everyones list except Harold's (it was his #47/63 which means 74,6 % of the movies he has seen got more points (+ all the movies he hasn't). I guess if more people would have seen Mission Impossible, The Fighter could have had a chance not to be last on the list.
The movie with no votes would have ended at #77 on the list.

Here's next five including the first movie seen by all 17 voters.

95. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: David Fincher[/br]
Year rank: #14 of 2011[/br]
Voters: 11[/br]
Fans: Depeche Mode #13[/br]
Haters: Harold #61/63[/br]
Comment(s): Far from essential, but at least it proves that even with lesser material David Fincher can still deliver a masterclass in how to make a gripping thriller, what Girl With the Dragon Tattoo certainly is. (Rob)

94. Moneyball (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Bennett Miller[/br]
Year rank: #13 of 2011[/br]
Voters: 12[/br]
Fans: Future Critic #14[/br]
Haters: BleuPanda #67/67, Nassim #47/49, Petri #91/95, Rob #84/92[/br]
Comment(s): And here I was thinking that everyone had already forgotten about Moneyball. The story and acting are good enough to make this one passable, but in purely cinematic terms this is the most boring movie in the list. It's barely more than talking heads. (Rob)

93. True Grit (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.bigredbarrel.com/blog/wp-con ... online.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Joel and Ethan Coen[/br]
Year rank: #7 of 2010[/br]
Voters: 17[/br]
Fans: Miguel #13[/br]
Haters: BleuPanda #66/67[/br]
Comment(s): The Coen brothers are my favourite directors. True Grit doesn't stand particularly tall in their filmography, but I still have a soft spot for it. It's just great fun. What happened to Hailee Steinfeld? She was awesome here. (Rob)

92. The Descendants (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.sequoiaprod.com/wordpress/wp ... Poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Alexander Payne[/br]
Year rank: #15 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Harold #9 Future Critic #13[/br]
Haters: Machine_Man #63/63, schaefer.tk #77/83, Petri #86/95[/br]
Comment(s): There is not a lot of humor in this family study by Alexander Payne, but it turns out he doesn't always need it, because this is a very good, subtle portrait of a father and his daughters going through a crisis. (Rob)

91. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/covers/ ... ver-92.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Matt Reeves[/br]
Year rank: #14 of 2014[/br]
Voters: 8[/br]
Fans: Machine_Man #15[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #77/81 Petri #88/95[/br]
Comment(s): Probably my favourite of the series. This is how you make an entertaining spectacle. (Rob)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

I started the predictions thread. So if you want to guess top 10 etc. that thread is for you.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Another bunch of five including first movies outside the USA.
Do you think the pace of releasing the results is too fast/slow. I thought 20-25 movies per day would be fine.

90. How to Train Your Dragon (2010)[/br]
Directors: Dean DeBlois, Chris Sanders[/br]
Year rank: #14 of 2010[/br]
Fans: antonius #8[/br]
Haters: Gillingham #54/58 , Petri #90/95, Rob #86/92[/br]
Comment(s): I can't deny that this seems to be made with a heart, but I could predict every scene before it happened and therefore had a big disconnect to it. Dreamworks' most "daring" film is still very safe. (Rob)

89. The Imitation Game (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://fanart.tv/fanart/movies/205596/ ... 1e3ebd.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Morten Tyldum[/br]
Main producing country: UK[/br]
Year rank: #20 of 2014[/br]
Haters: Rob #89/92, schaefer.tk #82/83[/br]
Comment(s): What is this paint-by-numbers piece of Oscar bait doing here? There isn't an original line, shot or idea it this whole, damn thing. (Rob)

88. Skyfall (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com ... 30802.jpeg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Sam Mendes[/br]
Year rank: #9 of 2012[/br]
Voters: 13[/br]
Fans: whuntva #12[/br]
Haters: Michel #72/79[/br]
Comment(s): Easily one of the best Bond films, but also not Mendes' best film. (Gillingham)

James Bond keeps being reinvented and it was never better done than here. There are a few minor flaws, but mostly its a great win for everyone involved, because this is Bond at its most inventive and still old-fashioned, what I always hope the series will be, but rarely is. (Rob)

87. Animal Kingdom (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: David Michôd[/br]
Main producing country: Australia[/br]
Year rank: #19 of 2010[/br]
Fans: Michel #19[/br]
Haters: Machine_Man #58/63, schaefer.tk #76/83[/br]
Comment(s): A movie I saw and liked, but hasn't really stuck with me. I mostly remember it for the interesting character played by Jacki Weaver.(Rob)

86. Barbara (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/mo ... fbK3oT.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Christian Petzold[/br]
Main producing country: Germany[/br]
Year rank: #15 of 2012[/br]
Fans: Greg #15[/br]
Haters: schaefer.tk #78/83[/br]
Comment(s): This movie made me a fan of Nina Hoss. She is one of few actors I really keep an eye on. The film itself isn't briljant or anything, but really gets by on the performance by Hoss. (Rob)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Look at all these films that aren't It's Such a Beautiful Day ~salty~

It's sad seeing these films I've never heard of before this poll (86 and 87) dropping in the first 15.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Petri wrote:Another bunch of five including first movies outside the USA.
Do you think the pace of releasing the results is too fast/slow. I thought 20-25 movies per day would be fine.
That's a good amount. Keeps some suspense, without dragging it out too long.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I saw Interstellar at the theatre, so some of the scenes looked really good (like the one with the wave planet), and the music was also pretty good. But frankly, it has a lot of cheesy dialogues (I find this to be a problem with all Nolan films except Memento), and less than stellar acting. It really doesn't have too many ideas as well, and as far as I can tell, the emotional arcs are pretty stagnant. The ending also seems kind of cheesy and predictable. And there were a lot of scenes where I thought the characters were really dumb to act the way they did. And the intentional arc was also not really all that original.

I can't really tell all that much, but was the message of this film something by the lines of Love conquers all?
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

I'll continue the countdown tomorrow.

85. American Hustle (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://digivisage.net/wp-content/upload ... ster-2.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Year rank: #13 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Greg #9, Depeche Mode #14, Gillingham #17[/br]
Haters: Machine_Man #62/63 Miguel #38/42[/br]
Comment(s): , Idk I had a great time with this. It's hammy to be sure, but also funny.(Depeche Mode)

I expect this one to turn up low on many lists. Not on mine, Russell is one of the most entertaining directors of the moment and especially knows how to get fun performances of stars. This is why we have movie stars.(Rob)

84. Edge of Tomorrow (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uplo ... oster3.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Doug Liman[/br]
Year rank: #12 of 2014[/br]
Fans: antonius #17[/br]
Comment(s): For the most part one of the most entertaining sciencefiction spectacles of the last five years, but sadly its finale is uninspired and quite bad. Tom Cruise is very good here, though. (Rob)

83. The King's Speech (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/up ... ter_06.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Tom Hooper[/br]
Year rank: #15 of 2010[/br]
Fans: bonnielaurel #8 Machine_Man #13[/br]
Haters: schaefer.tk #81/83, Gillingham #55/58, BleuPanda #62/67[/br]
Comment(s): Not a lot to complain about, but also not much to say about at all, nothing special. (Gillingham)

This mostly uninspiring movie gets by on a original use of mise-en-scene and camera positions. Besides that I saw it as an innocent crowd-pleaser that work well, but isn't particularly memorable. (Rob)

82. The World's End (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://auntymuriel.files.wordpress.com/ ... ster-2.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Edgar Wright[/br]
Year rank: #18 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Nassim #9[/br]
Haters: Petri #92/95[/br]

Comment(s): There is a fantastic video made by must watch youtuber "Every Frame a Painting" about how Edgar Wright is the only movie maker who still does visual comedy. While most recent comedies are more filmed improv than anything else, he finds new ways to use cuts, angles, zooms, transitions, music cues and every other tools in the filmmaker box to make you laugh. Add a lot of heart, brilliant cast and sharp dialogues and you've got 4 of the best comedies of recent years ; The World's End could be the lesser of the 4, but given that each of them is a massive achievement that's not a big issue.(Nassim)

I always liked these collaborations between Wright, Pegg and Frost and this is my favourite. It just captures the group dynamic very well, while also making a definitive statement in favor of the lives of losers. (Rob)

81. Searching for Sugar Man (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://morristowngreen.com/files/2015/0 ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Malik Bendjelloul[/br]
Main producing country: Sweden[/br]
Year rank: #19 of 2012[/br]
Fans: whuntva #19[/br]
Comment(s): I first have to thank this movie for introducing me to the amazing music of Rodriguez. Besides that it has little worth. It is clear for anyone who looks more closely that Rodriguez has some demons and there are strange gaps in his story. The filmmakers weren't interested in this, but instead went for easy mythmaking. Too bad, this could have been something more deep. (Rob)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Gillingham wrote: Guess I am one of the few here who appreciated Killing Me Softly.
That 2002 thriller with Joseph Fiennes and Heather Graham? I liked it too.:wink:
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Another O. Russell film I had expected to do better. I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I did enjoy both of those.

I, as well, made some unnecessary spelling mistakes in my comments .
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I liked "The World's End" a fair amount, but to me it was easily the weakest of the "trilogy". While "Shaun of the Dead" was great, and "Hot Fuzz" was the clear masterpiece (one of the funniest movies ever made if you ask me), "The World's End" felt comparatively slight.

Shaun of the Dead- 8/10

Hot Fuzz- 9/10

The World's End- 6.5/10
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

bonnielaurel wrote:
Gillingham wrote: Guess I am one of the few here who appreciated Killing Me Softly.
That 2002 thriller with Joseph Fiennes and Heather Graham? I liked it too.:wink:
:D
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

bonnielaurel wrote:
Ha! Guess I was actually mixing up Killing Them Softly with the song Killing Me Softly...
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

In this section we meet two very different East Asian movies (another one of them seems to be one of few loved or hated movies).

80. ลุงบุญมีระลึกชาติ [Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives] (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.newwavefilms.co.uk/assets/di ... ee_DVD.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Apichatpong Weerasethakul[/br]
Main producing country: Thailand[/br]
Year rank: #20 of 2010[/br]
Fans: Greg #5, Depeche Mode #7[/br]
Haters: Future Critic #84/84, antonius #60/62, Gillingham #53/58, Petri #89/95[/br]

Comment(s): Amazing ending, one of my favorites. Funny and brilliant all the same.(Depeche Mode)

A difficult movie to judge, because it feels foreign in every sense. Yet therein lies also most of its appeal, as it is of a mysterious beauty. I love the matter-of-fact way Weerasethekul treats ghosts. However, I read something about rampant discrimination in his films (hard to detect for western eyes) that took away something of the magic. (Rob)

79. Serbuan maut [The Raid: Redemption] (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sUrY8NcnVR0/T ... g-2011.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Gareth Evans[/br]
Main producing country: Indonesia[/br]
Year rank: #12 of 2011[/br]
Comment(s): I've never been the biggest fan of martial arts movies, but even I couldn't resist a movie so kinetic and with such great use of environment. A modern action masterpiece.(Rob)

78. Inherent Vice (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://assets.fontsinuse.com/static/use ... solution=0[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson[/br]
Year rank: #13 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Michel #15, Rob #20[/br]
Haters: Harold #62/63 schaefer.tk #80/83 Future Critic #80/84[/br]
Comment(s): Slightly disappointing for Anderson and Pynchon's material. (Gillingham)

A year ago this movie seemed to be mostly seen as a let-down. Not a bad movie, but people expected more of it I think. Luckily it seems already on its way for reconsideration. Deserverdly, because it is a weird and wonderful ride. (Rob)

77. De rouille et d'os [Rust and Bone] (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://totallydublin.ie/wp-content/uplo ... oster.jpeg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Jacques Audiard[/br]
Main producing country: France[/br]
Year rank: #17 of 2012[/br]
Fans: Michel #6[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #78/81[/br]
Comment(s): I'm not sure I think Audiard is really the master some make him out to be, but he has a talent for getting raw performances from his actor and that's what makes this one still quite great. (Rob)

76. Shutter Island (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://themotionpictures.files.wordpres ... 06/si1.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Martin Scorsese[/br]
Year rank: #10 of 2010[/br]
Fans: Miguel #4, otisredding #8[/br]
Comment(s): Scorsese brings a more direct ode to old movies than usual. It is not his best movie of the decade because of the long explanations during the end, but mostly it is a very atmospheric thriller that is well worth watching.(Rob)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Next group of five. Here we have some SciFi and maybe the most surprising movie in the final.

75. Looper (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/loop ... esheet.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Rian Johnson[/br]
Year rank: #8 of 2012[/br]
Fans: bonnielaurel #17, Future Critic #18, Michel #20, Nassim #20[/br]
Haters: Petri #87/95[/br]
Comment(s): Looper obviously tried to be the coolest sciencefiction movie of the decade. It comes surprisingly close to succeeding, with a lot of great touches and plot twists that are actually interesting. (Rob)

74. Snowpiercer (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://vusf.files.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Bong Joon-ho[/br]
Main producing country: South Korea[/br]
Year rank: #6 of 2013[/br]
Fans: whuntva #6, Machine_Man #11[/br]
Haters: Michel #78/79[/br]
Comment(s): Very inventive visually and definitely one of a kind and captivating, but also very farfetched in its plotting and parable. I admire its more for its balls than for the endresult. (Rob)

73. Argo (2012)[/br]
Director: Ben Affleck[/br]
Year rank: #16 of 2012[/br]
Fans: otisredding #2, Harold #12, Miguel #17[/br]
Haters: Machine_Man #57/63[/br]
Comment(s): Tries to be a realistic throwback to seventies thrillers, but is too convoluted to succeed. Oh well, it is an entertaining watch. Just nothing special. (Rob)

72. The Spectacular Now (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... w_film.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: James Ponsoldt[/br]
Year rank: #20 of 2013[/br]
Voters: 3[/br]
Fans: Nassim #15[/br]
Comment(s): None

71. Un Amour de jeunesse [Goodbye First Love] (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/blogs/ ... t-love.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Mia Hansen-Løve[/br]
Main producing countries: France, Germany[/br]
Year rank: #20 of 2011[/br]
Voters: 2[/br]
Fans: bonnielaurel #14[/br]
Haters: Michel #75/79[/br]
Comment(s): I haven't seen this and have to admit that I was only vaguely aware it existed. Really a surprise addition. (Rob)
The average score of 6,5 with only 3000 votes on IMDb, #222 of its year on RYM. I don't remember that I had even heard about this movie before our 2011 poll. But three big fans was enough for the top 20 place of its year. Unfortunately (for the movie) bonnielaurel was the only one of those three who voted in the final too. With two votes this is the least seen movie in the final. (Petri)
Last edited by Petri on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Petri wrote:
72. The Spectacular Now (2013)[/br]

Director: James Ponsoldt[/br]
Year rank: #20 of 2013[/br]
Voters: 3[/br]
Fans: Nassim #15[/br]

The Spectacular Now is not outstanding from a directing point of view but it's very endearing for being an unpretentious, heartfelt and honest portrait of youth, nothing is overdramatic or extraordinary, just a realistic depiction of 2 average kids finding their way through the end of high school with its ups and downs. The topic itself prevents it for being really extraordinary, it's much too mundane for that, but it also makes it stick out of the bunch : simplicity is not that common anymore.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Nassim wrote: The Spectacular Now is not outstanding from a directing point of view but it's very endearing for being an unpretentious, heartfelt and honest portrait of youth, nothing is overdramatic or extraordinary, just a realistic depiction of 2 average kids finding their way through the end of high school with its ups and downs. The topic itself prevents it for being really extraordinary, it's much too mundane for that, but it also makes it stick out of the bunch : simplicity is not that common anymore.
Sounds a movie I would like. By the way do you see the cover of Un Amour de jeunesse [Goodbye First Love]?

70. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://blogs-images.forbes.com/markhugh ... 8x1940.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Jams Gunn[/br]
Year rank: #10 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Nassim #7, Harold #13[/br]
Haters: Petri #95/95, bonnielaurel #76/81, Future Critic #77/84[/br]
Comment(s): Not my favourite of the Marvel films of this decade, that would be The Winter Soldier. Yet this one together with the second Captain America are rare movies that make me care for the franchise. It just has a good sense of fun. (Rob)

69. Citizenfour (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://resizing.flixster.com/9kOIeftR2d ... 51_ori.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Laura Poitras[/br]
Year rank: #19 of 2014[/br]
Voters: 5[/br]
Fans: Petri #18[/br]
Comment(s): Being so close to a whistleblower blowing the whistle is breathtaking. It also never feels like easy propaganda, but like an honest portrait. That's strange for me to say, because I dislike almost all political documentaries, because I don't trust them. (Rob)

68. The Act of Killing (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/9 ... L1500_.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Joshua Oppenheimer[/br]
Main producing country: Denmark[/br]
Year rank: #11 of 2012[/br]
Voters: 7[/br]
Fans: BleuPanda #18[/br]
Haters: Future Critic #76/84[/br]

67. Prisoners (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://vipvipclub.com/Resources/Picture ... nersMA.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Denis Villeneuve[/br]
Year rank: #17 of 2013[/br]
Voters: 10[/br]
Fans: schaefer.tk #4, antonius #16[/br]
Haters: Depeche Mode #35/38, Harold #58/63, Rob #85/92[/br]
Comment(s): What really is the point here, so serious and dour, yet in the end banal.(Depeche Mode)

For 90 minutes a very well-made thriller, then it just becomes silly, when Villeneuve's strange attraction to nonsensical plottwist takes over. Even a very good Jake Gyllenhaal and the amazing cinematography by Roger Deakins can't really save it. (Rob)

66. The Babadook (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://resizing.flixster.com/CdrtBrj3Aj ... 66_ori.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Jennifer Kent[/br]
Main producing country: Australia[/br]
Year rank: #15 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Nassim #16, Machine_Man #17, bonnielaurel #18[/br]
Haters: schaefer.tk #79/83[/br]
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

By the way do you see the cover of Un Amour de jeunesse
No but I assumed it was because I am at work.
Can't see Citizenfour or the Babadook either.

I have only watched the first hour of the Act of Killing, it's very powerful but kind of lack rhythms. Do the rest of the documentary add much ?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Un Amour de jeunesse is the only cover not showing for me.

I think the ending of The Act of Killing is the best part. It hits hard in its last moments.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

BleuPanda wrote:Un Amour de jeunesse is the only cover not showing for me.
Changed the link.

65. Holy Motors (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Leos Carax[/br]
Year rank: #12 of 2012[/br]
Fans: BleuPanda #5, whuntva #16[/br]
Haters: antonius #61/62 Greg #51/55[/br]
Comment(s): Among the more bonkers movies of this list. Obviously a love-it-or-hate-it selections. I can't resist its craziness. Denis Lavant is something else. (Rob)

64. Mr. Turner (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://resizing.flixster.com/fFpFCsHgri ... 69_ori.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Mike Leigh[/br]
Year rank: #18 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Machine_Man #14 , Gillingham #18[/br]
Haters: Future Critic #81/84[/br]
Comment(s): One of the best movies about not just the life of an artist, but also what it means to be an artist. It looks at how Mr. Turner is part of the world and yet stand outside of it. Only that way he could make these wonderful paintings. To bad it goes on to long, or else it would easily be ten place higher. (Rob)

63. Gone Girl (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://sinekdoks.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ter-gg.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: David Fincher[/br]
Year rank: #8 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Depeche Mode #4, Nassim #10, Miguel #14[/br]
Comment(s): Disturbing but crazily entertaining satire on marriage, I will agree with some problematic stuff but there is a lot to outweight that, both thematically and simply via amazing craft. Definitely features one of my favorite villanous performances ever. In the end, this film will remain open as to what it really is perpetuating, all the more fascinating. (Depeche Mode)

A good thriller, but also too convoluted perhaps. Nonetheless, I kind of love this movie. Why? Because it is a brilliant dark comedy about the battle of the sexes. Seriously, the humor in this film is underrated. (Rob)

62. The Lego Movie (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/covers/ ... ver-33.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Phil Lord / Christopher Miller[/br]
Year rank: #6 of 2014[/br]
Fans: whuntva #7, Nassim #13[/br]
Haters: BleuPanda #63/67[/br]
Comment(s): Definetly the most surprising movie in terms of quality. Who thought a Lego Movie was even a good idea? Wether it is the funniest movie of the decade is up for debate, but I know no movie with so many jokes per minute (or per second for that matter). It just goes on relentlessly and with great joy. (Rob)

61. Incendies (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://opionator.files.wordpress.com/2 ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Denis Villeneuve[/br]
Main producing country: Canada[/br]
Year rank: #9 of 2010[/br]
Fans: antonius #12[/br]
Haters: Rob #91/92[/br]
Comment(s): This ridiculous drama has one of the most convulted scripts I have ever witnessed. I really don't get the praise. It is really to ridiculous to exist. (Rob)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Un amour still isn't showing for me. Oh well...
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

A good thriller, but also too convoluted perhaps. Nonetheless, I kind of love this movie. Why? Because it is a brilliant dark comedy about the battle of the sexes. Seriously, the humor in this film is underrated. (Rob)
Yeah I think it's the funniest movie of the ones that I've seen by far. Hard to pick one scene really, the whole thing has such a sarcastic, too modern and cocky tone, which I can understand how it can turn people off, but considering the whole movie isn't exactly praising it's characters, I think it's hilarious.
Comment(s): This ridiculous drama has one of the most convulted scripts I have ever witnessed. I really don't get the praise. It is really to ridiculous to exist. (Rob) [/size]
Hehe pretty sure I'd hate this, considering my Prisoners reception.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I just watched Holy Motors. I guess I had built it up in my head too much as I found it too long and quite disappointing. Not that there weren't parts that I didn't love, and I thought the concept was fantastic not to mention the director need to be commended on managing to get the funding for the film.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Definetly the most surprising movie in terms of quality. Who thought a Lego Movie was even a good idea? Wether it is the funniest movie of the decade is up for debate, but I know no movie with so many jokes per minute (or per second for that matter). It just goes on relentlessly and with great joy. (Rob)
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

60. Life of Pi (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://resizing.flixster.com/7qjZpvesmP ... 00_ori.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Ang Lee[/br]
Year rank: #10 of 2012[/br]
Fans: whuntva #3, bonnielaurel #11[/br]
Haters: Petri #94/95[/br]
Comment(s): A faithful adaptation of one of my favourite novels. For some reason it didn't connect as deeply as the book and in film form the story seems more forced. Yet Lee still creates many wonderful scenes and images. (Rob)

59. Pina (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://i.movie.as/p/71696.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Wim Wenders[/br]
Main producing country: Germany[/br]
Year rank: #10 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Michel #16, Greg #20[/br]

58. The Master (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://i.imgur.com/xEjToNU.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson[/br]
Year rank: #13 of 2012[/br]
Voters: 16[/br]
Fans: Rob #6, Depeche Mode #8, Gillingham #15, BleuPanda #20[/br]
Haters: otisredding #30/32, Miguel #39/42[/br]
Comment(s): Really had to give this time and mull over, but I finally got this and it's definitely his best imo, although I still have a soft spot for Magnolia. (Depeche Mode)

Apparently a tough watch for some people and many critics only now seem to be really getting around it. For me it was actually a movie that somehow hit particular hard at first viewing. Deeply mysterious and with a complex set of emotions at its heart, this is truly something else and something visionary. (Rob)

57. It Follows (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://famousmonsters.com/wp-content/up ... Poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: David Robert Mitchell[/br]
Year rank: #17 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Nassim #5[/br]
Comment(s): The STD metaphor might a bit heavy handed but everything works in that movie, the constant threat hanging above the characters, the intemporality of the set design, the sadness emenating from start to finish ; it's at the same time a throwback to old slasher, an out of time movie and a very modern piece of cinema.(Nassim),

56. A Torinói Ló [The Turin Horse] (2011)[/br]
Director: Béla Tarr[/br]
Main producing country: Hungary[/br]
Year rank: #7 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Gillingham #4, Greg #6[/br]
Haters: antonius #62/62, Future Critic #83/84[/br]
Comment(s): It's a pity this is Tarr's last movie, he's still a huge master of European arthouse cinema. (Gillingham)

A hard movie to sit through, but at the same time mesmerizing. Try forgetting that old man eating potatoes. I can't. (Rob)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

BleuPanda wrote:Un amour still isn't showing for me. Oh well...
Third try. I don't wonder anymore why so few have seen it or even heard of it when its so hard to only make its cover visible.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

I see it now :D
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

luney6 wrote:
Definetly the most surprising movie in terms of quality. Who thought a Lego Movie was even a good idea? Wether it is the funniest movie of the decade is up for debate, but I know no movie with so many jokes per minute (or per second for that matter). It just goes on relentlessly and with great joy. (Rob)
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
It's been a while since I seen that one (I didn't care for it at all), but I don't think it is even half as fast paced as The Lego Movie. In fact, I remember it as a bit of a slog, also hampered by a heavy overdose of moralizing.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Before we enter to top 50 here's five movies from five European countries including the first #1 of a voter (unfortunately I haven't seen it).

55. Le gamin au velo [The Kid with a Bike] (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... u-velo.png[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne[/br]
Main producing country: Belgium[/br]
Year rank: #9 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Gillingham #7, Greg #10[/br]
Haters: Michel #73/79[/br]
Comment(s): I adore the Dardennes and love almost everyhting they did, but this is their most minor work in my opinion. Still worth a look, but also a bit forgettable and inessential. (Rob)

54. Le passé [The Past] (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.cinenews.lu/lib//movies/12578/45627.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Asghar Farhadi[/br]
Year rank: #14 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Gillingham #11, Petri #19[/br]
Comment(s): The convoluted script during the latter stages of this story hold this down somewhat, but before that this is as great a drama as A Separation, with wondeful acting. (Rob)

53. La piel que habito [The Skin I Live In] (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.impawards.com/intl/spain/201 ... o_ver3.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Pedro Almodóvar[/br]
Main producing country: Spain[/br]
Year rank: #18 of 2011[/br]
Fans: bonnielaurel #4, Miguel #11, Rob #13[/br]
Haters: Michel #76/79[/br]
Comment(s): A unique take on the mad scientist movie, like only Almodovar could consider. It's both sick and strangely movie. I loved it more than the rest of the world I thought, so it's a nice surpise to see it turn up here. (Rob)

52. Mistérios de Lisboa [Mysteries of Lisbon] (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TEiTOD_DHXI/T ... ster-w.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Raúl Ruiz[/br]
Main producing country: Portugal[/br]
Year rank: #18 of 2010[/br]
Fans:
Greg #1 , antonius #20[/br]

51. Another Year (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/mo ... 4tznZX.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Mike Leigh[/br]
Year rank: #6 of 2010[/br]
Fans: Gillingham #12[/br]
Comment(s): Mike Leigh is one of the best observers of human behaviour, with wit and compassion to spare. This is one of his most subtle and complex works, so great to see this here. (Rob)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

These last five all came up higher than expected. Mysteries of Lisbon is very hard to see. If I don't want to resort to downloading I pretty much have to pay for an expensive import dvd that isn't quite in my budget. I hope to get around to it though, because I have high expectations.

My lowest ranked movie also still has to show up. I'm really surprised it ranks in the upper half. Didn't know it had much fans.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Good results so far.

Mysteries of Lisbon was a surprise, and I might actually want to watch a few of the ones I missed already. Rob sells them pretty well.

You probably noticed I haven't been a hater yet. All I'll say is...I'm going to be a bit contrarian when it comes to the final ten or so.
Last edited by whuntva on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Before we move to the top 50. Here's correlations between every voter. Here you can find people with who you agree and disagree most about movies in this poll. The bigger the number is the more you agree with him/her about these movies in top 100. (and of course everyone agrees most with himslef/herself :D )

Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

And here we have #50-#46 Movies with big fans but also with big haters (including two Scorsese movies)

50. Turist [Force Majeure] (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://pics.filmaffinity.com/Turist_For ... -large.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Ruben Östlund[/br]
Main producing country: Sweden[/br]
Year rank: #11 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Petri #11, Gillingham #16[/br]
Comment(s): As dark comedies go, this is mostly a very good one. A bit too on-the-nose and easy sometimes, but mostly funny and sometimes really clever. (Rob)

49. Take Shelter (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://img07.deviantart.net/cbf2/i/2012 ... 4piqu2.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Jeff Nichols[/br]
Year rank: #16 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Michel #3, Nassim #6, bonnielaurel #19[/br]
Haters: Greg #55/55, whuntva #67/74[/br]
Comment(s): The final scene almost ruins this movie for me. Too bad, because before that this is an intense character study that could have made for one of the best movies of the decade. (Rob)

48. Hugo (2011)[/br]
Year rank: #6 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Machine_Man #4, whuntva #15, Rob #16, BleuPanda #19[/br]
Haters: Gillingham #57/58, Nassim #48/49, antonius #57/62[/br]
Comment(s): Alright as a family movie, but not up to Scorsese's high standards. (Gillingham)

This a-typical Scorsese seems already to be fading somewhat in appreciation, but I find it very rewatchable. It's also a lovely ode to cinema. (Rob)

Never would have thought this one has so many fans and haters. (Petri)

47. Nymphomaniac: Volume I (2013)[/br]
Director: Lars von Trier[/br]
Main producing country: Denmark[/br]
Year rank: #15 of 2013[/br]
Voters: 7[/br]
Fans: Michel #2, Petri #20[/br]
Haters: Rob #92/92, Future Critic #79/84[/br]
Comment(s): Easily the most insufferable movie in this list. Von Trier was always a difficult case for me, but his filmmaking talents always shone through. Not here. This seems made by someone with a complete disinterest in the movie. Everything feels fake and forced, even the attempt at controversy in its subject. Nearly unwatchable. (Rob)

46. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)[/br]
Year rank: #9 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Rob #2, Miguel #12, Greg #19[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #81/81, otisredding #31/32[/br]
Comment(s): Brilliantly funny and acted, Scorscese doesn't go for anything new other than Goodfellas/Casino tricks but it works. Where it falls down for me is that I realized how dishonest Belfort's account of events is. (Depeche Mode)

A comedy that goes on for three hours. Few people there to attempt it and even fewer could keep it funny for the complete running time. Scorsese somehow succeeded and made not just the definitive movie about greed and the current economoc situation (despite being set in the nineties), but also made simply one of the funniest movies I ever saw. (Rob)
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

I'm quite surprised The Master is so low, I guess it wasn't high on it's year list but still. Would be even lower if I wouldn't have realized it's actually great recently.

Also quite surprised for at least 3 movies still in the running.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I didn't vote, but if I did, my top 5 would've been...

1. Boyhood
2. The Social Network
3. The Wind Rises
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. It Follows

Also, I thought "The Wolf of Wall Street" was a great movie, and hilarious too. On the other hand, "Gone Girl" was a good movie, but it was good because it was profoundly disturbing, not because it was funny (which it wasn't to me. I fail to see any humor in that movie).
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

Not even Tyler Perry?

I mean, it's not a straight up comedy but a lot of it feels farcical, I also didn't feel it too much the first time cause I was too caught up with the plot but on rewatches it got progressively funnier.

Actually I should correct my opinion, Wolf of Wall Street is probably just as funny, but I don't like it as much overall.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

A group of very different drama movies including someone's #1 and the highest #20 of its year.

45. L' illusionniste [The Illusionist] (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.impawards.com/intl/misc/2010 ... nniste.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Sylvain Chomet[/br]
Year rank: #12 of 2010[/br]
Fans: Greg #3, Petri #4[/br]
Haters: BleuPanda #65/67[/br]
Comment(s): I am a fan of Jacques Tati, so I was a bit sad that this movie hardly captured his unique sense of humor and felt more tragic than funny. Nonetheless, taken on its own it is quite a beautiful film. (Rob)

44. Ida (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://misadventuresmag.com/wp-content/ ... 01/ida.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Paweł Pawlikowski[/br]
Main producing country: Poland[/br]
Year rank: #12 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Harold #10, otisredding #11, Depeche Mode #16, schaefer.tk #19, Nassim #19[/br]
Haters: Miguel #41/42[/br]
Comment(s): Good to see this… but how has no Kiarostami made it? I wonder.(Depeche Mode)

Early in the movie you could think that with its beautiful black and white fixed shots, Pawel Pawlikowski puts style over substance, but he finds ways to express a lot with details and looks and you start caring for its 2 main characters. The choice to make the final 2 shots the only ones with a moving and shaky camera is kind of one the nose but it's still one of the most efficient use of cinematography in recent memory.(Nassim)

I do appreciate the style and the acting here, but it felt as a minor film by Carl Theodor Dreyer, instead as the mayor, modern masterpiece others see in it. (Rob)

43. Spring Breakers (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://sumitdutta.files.wordpress.com/ ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Harmony Korine[/br]
Year rank: #18 of 2012[/br]
Fans:
Depeche Mode #1, Greg #4[/br]
Haters: Rob #88/92[/br]
Comment(s): Everything cinema is all about.(Depeche Mode)

I think no critical praise of a movie in the last five years baffled me more than this. Yes, the dayglo look is beautiful, but damn is this movie empty. It has not enough material to fill its short running time. It's critique of modern youth and consumer culture is also the most lazy and reactionary I have yet seen. (Rob)

42. Mommy (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.impawards.com/intl/misc/2014 ... /mommy.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Xavier Dolan[/br]
Main producing country: Canada[/br]
Year rank: #16 of 2014[/br]
Fans: schaefer.tk #12, Michel #14[/br]
Comment(s): Child prodigy Xavier Dolan wowed a lot of people with his previous films, while I only thought they held promise for something better. That was what Mommy delivered. It's a great drama, filmed in a personal style. Dolan proves a master of capturing the inner lives of his characters through cinematic terms. (Rob)

41. Frances Ha (2012)[/br]
Director: Noah Baumbach[/br]
Year rank: #20 of 2012[/br]
Fans: schaefer.tk #7, Rob #12, Depeche Mode #18, Miguel #18[/br]
Comment(s): Some good and witty stuff but I feel overall the transformation in the end is rushed. I liked the retro look(Depeche Mode)

The last few years there has been a whole slew of films about twentiesomethings who just wander around aimlessly. This is the best one, because it dares to be uncomfortable. (Rob)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

40. Nightcrawler (2014)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://images.cinefacts.de/Nightcrawler ... ter-DE.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Dan Gilroy[/br]
Year rank: #7 of 2014[/br]
Fans: Petri #12, Future Critic #20[/br]
Comment(s): Thinks it's oh so brilliant with it's satire, I couldn't get into this therefore and also for uninteresting to me subject matter (Depeche Mode)

Basically neo-noir for the modern ages. It manages to combine a ton of atmosphere, a unique charcter portrait and a criticism of the times to stirring and exciting results. (Rob)

39. Shame (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.filmempfehlung.com/_bilder/p ... _shame.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Steve McQueen[/br]
Year rank: #8 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Petri #10, Depeche Mode #11, Gillingham #13, otisredding #14, bonnielaurel #20, Machine_Man #20[/br]
Haters: whuntva #70/74, Greg #50/55[/br]
Comment(s): I have to pay my respects to everyone involved for daring to tackle this difficult subject. Sadly, the movie felt overwrought and overdone to me. The bleakness of it all is somewhat too abstract to make it work as a character drama. (Rob)

38. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://lyriquediscorde.files.wordpress ... budich.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Year rank: #6 of 2012[/br]
Fans: Rob #3, bonnielaurel #5, Future Critic #9, Greg #18[/br]
Haters: whuntva #73/74, Michel #77/79, BleuPanda #61/67[/br]
Comment(s): A romantic comedy for the ages. A modern attempt at screwball comedy that completely works, perhaps because it doesn't try to be a screwball comedy. And also a heartfelt and surprisingly accurate portrait of living with some sort of emotional disorder. Hollywood doesn't make them like this anymore because they never did. The movie of this decade I watch the most. (Rob)

37. Carlos [Carlos the Jackal] (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://whiskeygoldmine.com/wp-content/u ... rorist.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Olivier Assayas[/br]
Year rank: #8 of 2010[/br]
Voters: 4[/br]
Fans: antonius #2, Michel #17[/br]

36. Four Lions (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://blog.soton.ac.uk/pr7g13/files/20 ... 687595.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Chris Morris[/br]
Year rank: #16 of 2010[/br]
Fans: Petri #7, Machine_Man #12[/br]
Haters: Rob #90/92[/br]
Comment(s): I wanted to love this, because I have a thing for dark comedy and satire, but this felt like a cop-out. To not give the main characters real religious believes or any real motiviation made the whole thing lose it bite and relevance to me. (Rob)
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

I expected Spring Breakers at least 40 places lower, so I'm really really glad, although Rob should expect me knocking on his door soon ;)

Really cool Nightcrawler and Silver Linings posters. I should probably rewatch Nightcrawler.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

24/25 top 5 movies of their year in top 35. Interstellar at #99 was the lowest ranked top 5 movie of its year. Here we finally have two more (both of them have a #1 vote). Very pleased to see #31 so high.

35. Zero Dark Thirty (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-z6VmDXAPGOo/U ... THIRTY.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Kathryn Bigelow[/br]
Year rank: #7 of 2012[/br]
Fans: otisredding #6, Petri #9, antonius #14[/br]
Haters: Gillingham #56/58[/br]
Comment(s): Jessica Chastain and certain scenes are great, but I felt something was missing here. The endless energy and immediacy that the best films of Kathryn Bigelow have is somehwat absent here. Too business-like or something to really be a great movie to me.(Rob)

34. Inception (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uplo ... ster-4.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Christopher Nolan[/br]
Year rank: #3 of 2010[/br]
Fans:
Miguel #1, Harold #6, schaefer.tk #9, whuntva #13, BleuPanda #17, Future Critic #19[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #80/81[/br]
Comment(s): So let me explain this to you… x100 (Depeche Mode)

Although I wish that Nolan would write dialogues that didn't constantly feel like explanations and also wish that his take on dreams was more, well, a take on dreams, I can't deny that this is frequently a blockbuster with a real bang to it. (Rob)

33. Nebraska (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/mo ... QNDUj5.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Alexander Payne[/br]
Year rank: #7 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Future Critic #8, Nassim #8, Harold #16, whuntva #20[/br]
Comment(s): Alexander Payne already knew how to make tragicomic movies very well, but here there was something new. Something bittersweet, something more understanding and something more quiet. The results are beautiful and understated, while still frequently funny.(Rob)

32. The Artist (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.codenoir-style.com/wp-conten ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Michel Hazanavicius[/br]
Year rank: #5 of 2011[/br]
Fans:
whuntva #1, bonnielaurel #9, Future Critic #17[/br]
Comment(s): After the Oscar win there was a big backlash of The Artist. Not deserved, because this a very watchable crowd pleaser, made with a big sense of fun and a great eye for visual ideas. (Rob)

31. Le Havre (2011)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.the-match-factory.com/assets ... -havre.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Aki Kaurismäki[/br]
Main producing country: Finland[/br]
Year rank: #19 of 2011[/br]
Fans: Petri #6, bonnielaurel #13, Greg #14[/br]
Comment(s): In these days, with the refugee crisis reaching a peak, we need sweet little fables like this. I also love Kaurismaki's extremely dry sense of humour. (Rob)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Surprised, pleasantly of course, that my top 3 made it to the top 30 !
Especially after the relatively low ranking of another film by the director of my #1 pick, and since I imagined my #3 to be one of the lesser seen movies.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Le Havre and Nebraska are a lot higher than I expected. And both deserve it!

Can any fan of Nymphomaniac explain the brilliance of that movie to me? I really don't get it.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

The countdown will continue on sunday (I won't have access to a computer before that).
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

The countdown continues.

30. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uplo ... ter_01.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Banksy[/br]
Year rank: #13 of 2010[/br]
Fans: Rob #10, Petri #14, antonius #15, whuntva #17, Nassim #17[/br]
Haters: Michel #74/79[/br]
Comment(s): One of the most sly and funny documentaries (or mockumentaries?) of the decade. Also perhaps the greatest portrait of underground art we will we get. (Rob)

29. Django Unchained (2012)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.moviecitizens.com/wp-content ... ept-4.jpeg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Quentin Tarantino[/br]
Year rank: #3 of 2012[/br]
Fans: schaefer.tk #2, Miguel #2 , Depeche Mode #15, Greg #16, Harold #20[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #74/81[/br]
Comment(s): Overlong and with some strange script choices, but… extremely fun. Few directors seem so hell-bend on being entertaining as Tarantino. (Rob)

28. La grande bellezza [The Great Beauty] (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://lamalaparte.files.wordpress.com ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Paolo Sorrentino[/br]
Main producing country: Italy[/br]
Year rank: #5 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Gillingham #2, Greg #2, Michel #4[/br]
Haters: Future Critic #82/84, otisredding #32/32[/br]
Comment(s): Great images and an inspirational movie. Very funny, too. Only the part with the mother Theresa-like nun was a tad too long. (Gillingham)

A combination of brillant scenes with scenes that just passed me by. However, that was how I originally felt about La Dolce Vita and a second viewing made me regard it as a masterpiece. Perhaps I should revisit La Grande Bellezza too. (Rob)

27. Short Term 12 (2013)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://davethenovelist.files.wordpress ... erm-12.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Destin Daniel Cretton[/br]
Year rank: #11 of 2013[/br]
Fans: Nassim #3, Harold #5, Future Critic #15[/br]
Comment(s): A simple but touching movie that has more heart than anything else this side of Pixar.(Nassim)

Is Short Term 12 a great movie? Perhaps not, but it's look on abandoned teenagers felt real and heartfelt. And I completly fell for Brie Larson, so there. (Rob)

26. Deux jours, une nuit [Two Days, One Night] −2014[/br]
Director: Jean-Pierre Dardenne / Luc Dardenne[/br]
Main producing country: Belgium[/br]
Year rank: #9 of 2014[/br]
Fans: bonnielaurel #7, Greg #7, Nassim #11, Rob #18, Gillingham #19[/br]
Comment(s): One of the things I enjoyed the most in the movie is that lack of music, you can imagine, especially during the suicide and final scenes, how lesser moviemakers would have tried to shove feelings down your throat using music, but by showing restraint, the Dardenee brothers also show respect for their audience.(Nassim)

This should be overly moralizing, but the Dardennes are such good observes of people that they make it feel real and honest. Also, Cotillard's performance here is probably among my top 5 from the decade. (Rob)

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”