Films of the 2010s: Prep and Recs

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Films of the 2010s: Prep and Recs

Post by BleuPanda »

The poll for the first half of this decade will begin next month. It will follow the same general format as the current poll series. I was wanting to do 15 films moving on instead of the usual 10, since the movies from this year should be more fresh in our memories, but if anyone has major objections speak now.

Here are my leading recs for each year of movies less likely to be seen or considered:
2010: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Certified Copy, Nostalgia for the Light, I Saw the Devil
2011: Take Shelter, Weekend
2012: Holy Motors, It's Such a Beautiful Day, Ernest & Celestine, Cloud Atlas, The Cabin in the Woods
2013: Only Lovers Left Alive, Upstream Color, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, The Wind Rises, The World's End
2014: ... I'm still needing to explore the depths of this year. Go see It Follows if you get a chance, as it technically counts for 2014 and is easily the best horror movie in over a decade

And I bolded It's Such a Beautiful Day because it's my top recommendation. Everyone needs to check that movie out.
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Re: Films of the 2010s: Prep and Recs

Post by Depeche Mode »

Spring Breakers, Magic Mike, Roza(The Rose, polish movie), Only God Forgives, Magic Magic, Killer Joe.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Snowpiercer and Dredd for some action-y stuff. If Snowpiercer is considered a 2013 film, LEGO Movie wins 2014 easily.

Artist and Hugo for 2011 for throwbacks.

Would Jodorowsky's Dune count? It's a documentary from 2014-ish? Easy Top 5 of that year for me.

Drive, Song of the Sea, Nightcrawler, Dance of Reality, Nebraska, and a few others I liked too.

And I'm glad someone else liked It's Such a Beautiful Day.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Awesome, a film poll I feel I can actually contribute to. I think Her will be my number one movie of this period, but sure that will be a forum favorite so not much of a need to get called out. Maybe Prisoners is a film that will be overlooked?
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

BleuPanda wrote:The poll for the first half of this decade will begin next month.

Great!
BleuPanda wrote:It will follow the same general format as the current poll series.
I think we could use the old formula (top 20) or maybe even that older formula Henrik used in 2007 in 90's songs poll (top 50 got points #1= 100 points, #50 =1 point) because I'm pretty sure everyone has seen tens of movies per year. And gap between #15 and #5 is smaller than in 50s poll. So what about
#1. 50 p (50)
2. 40 p (40)
3. 35 p (30)
4. 30 p (20)
5. 25 (15)
6. 20 (10)
7. 18 (9)
8. 16 (8)
9. 14 (7)
10. 12 (6)
11. 10 (5)
12. 9 (4)
13. 8 (3)
14. 7 (2)
15. 6 (1)
16. 5
17. 4
18. 3
19. 2
20. 1

This Henrik's suggestion viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1345 sounded also great but it would mean too much work for the host of the polls.
BleuPanda wrote: I was wanting to do 15 films moving on instead of the usual 10, since the movies from this year should be more fresh in our memories, but if anyone has major objections speak now.

15 films sounds good but 20 would be even better. (then we would have top 100 in the final)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'd be fine with expanding things as long as other people are.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:I'd be fine with expanding things as long as other people are.
I like 20. :greetings-waveyellow:
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

bootsy wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:I'd be fine with expanding things as long as other people are.
I like 20. :greetings-waveyellow:
I would too, but seeing as I'm kinda picky and also don't really have a lot of time to see that many movies, it will be hard for me to do a full 20. I could probably do 10 though.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I think 20 is fine.

I'm not sure if the overall quality of the 100 selected films in the final poll will be very high this way, but then again it's actually nicer to put films you don't like in the lower spots than having mostly films you like anyway.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Yeah, I feel that kind of messed with me during the 50s poll. There were a bunch of films I knew I wouldn't end up caring about but my most average film was also right outside my top 250 of all time, so I really wasn't comfortable letting things like From Here to Eternity get more points than, say, The Incredible Shrinking Man simply due to being otherwise entirely disinterested in watching the former. Most of the films I watched in the two months leading up to the 50s poll ended up existing as padding so I wasn't hurting the films I actually really liked (though part of the solution should probably be modifying the formula, because the average film I hadn't seen before rushing through as much as I could certainly wasn't anywhere near the average I had already seen on my own time due to my own interests).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I think one solution would be allowing people to tier movies into something like Loved/Liked/Indifferent/Disliked/Hated and assign numbers based on that scale. Maybe put unwatched films on the border between Liked and Indifferent, but allow people more control over where films end up.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

That might work better. I have counted all the movies I rated highly on IMDB, and I know exactly what I'd vote for.

Here's about how big my list(s) would be if I only included ratings of 8 or higher.

2010: 11 films
2011: 14 films (15 counting Senna, whose release is ambiguous)
2012: 17 films
2013: 15 films
2014: 10 films
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

BleuPanda wrote:I think one solution would be allowing people to tier movies into something like Loved/Liked/Indifferent/Disliked/Hated and assign numbers based on that scale. Maybe put unwatched films on the border between Liked and Indifferent, but allow people more control over where films end up.
Interesting, not sure how you'd tally this but maybe worth a try.
Do we go by RYM release dates?

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”