Higher Ground

They Shoot Pictures has updated

Post by BleuPanda »

Check the site!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Re: They Shoot Pictures has updated

Post by JimmyJazz »

Documentaries and Asian cinema most certainly did benefit from the recent polls. Freakin happy to see Brighter Summer Day in the Top 100 :happy-partydance:
I also hope that some day the Vertov film will surpass Potemkin on the list too.
Barry Lyndon is now Kubrick's second highest, not Strangelove.

Bill keeps going on about the "Empire" striking back, but, a bigger shocking inclusion is...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I find Avatar the more worthy of the two, though there are quite a few movies from 2009 I'd have rather seen first.

What I'm most happy to see is Akira and Ghost in the Shell. More animation is always good.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I agree about the better placement of anime, which we can all thank to the Asian ballots that keep comin' in, fortunately.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Some interesting changes. The biggest gain near the top being Man With A Movie Camera is interesting. Spring In A Small Town probably isn't that surprising because it's getting more circulation now than it has for decades.

I don't mind Avatar on the list. It certainly isn't one of the greatest 1000 films of all time, but from a technical perspective it has historical importance. And it's not going to climb that high. I'm much more annoyed by Moulin Rogue on the list than Avatar. But I love seeing Before Sunrise get on the list. And Children of Men gets on too, one of my favorite films of all time.

Fire Walk With Me another notable entry on the list.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I also love the new director lists. I've always wondered why things like Twin Peaks are included on film lists, so it's interesting to see it at 1637. I'm actually a little annoyed the Twin Peaks movie made the list, I found it entirely pointless compared to the show.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

The top 25 by year is also under the resources list.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I have to say, for the list-obsessed addict such as myself, these extra lists, like the 1001-2000 list, and the Top 25s, is incredible :music-rockon:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

BleuPanda wrote:I also love the new director lists. I've always wondered why things like Twin Peaks are included on film lists, so it's interesting to see it at 1637. I'm actually a little annoyed the Twin Peaks movie made the list, I found it entirely pointless compared to the show.
I would take the movie over just about everything post-reveal.

Whenever I go back and watch Twin Peaks, I shoot rapidly through season 1, then start to watch slower as it approaches the reveal, then by the time Wyndam Earle shows up I'm forcing myself just to turn it on.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

That's always the problem of discussing television. A certain range of episodes generally needs to be specified. Twin Peaks has always been about Season 1 through around episode 9 of Season 2, but that range is one of the greatest pieces of television ever produced. Same thing with the early days of The Simpsons, etc.

The interesting thing about Twin Peaks is that quality dip happens mid-season, but it's pretty clear when it happens.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I've always found it absolutely criminal that Ray Wise wasn't so much as nominated for an Emmy for his incredible performance as Leland Palmer (and, eventually, Leland-as-Bob). His work in his final three episodes is as great as television acting has ever gotten, even considering the Golden Age we've been in for the last decade or so.

Find a copy of Piper Laurie's recent autobiography and read the fascinating section about her tenure on the show as Catherine Martell, particularly the character's heavily disguised return (following Catherine's apparent death) as mysterious Japanese businessman "Mr. Tojamura" - which was a secret kept not only from viewers, but from the rest of the cast!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

The one movie I hadn't seen in the top 100 (The Mother and the Whore) fell off, only to be replaced by another movie I haven't had a chance to see (A Brighter Summer Day). Why can't I find these in good condition anywhere? Why can't I live near one of those big cities that every once in a while get special screenings of rare films?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

So Bill is not going to tweak the formula for the 21st century poll after all.

However, instead he is going to expand the 21st century list to a Top 1000!

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, we can see the placings of films from this current decade now. On the other hand, I am no so sure that you can come up with a 1000 for the last mere 15 years without getting into some real crap. I kinda wished he just kept it as 250, then by the end of this decade expand it to a 500, expanding it progressively, basically.

Either way, he said that, unlike last year with Inside Llewyn Davis, Boyhood will place very well this year! This makes sense to me. Boyhood overwhelmingly won the Sight & Sound poll, for example. Conversely, most polls from 2013 films were very split with a lack of consensus. Since TSPDT weights from individual ballots from critics and filmmakers, inevitably films from that year got screwed.

He is factoring in some of the recent "decade so far" lists though, so the rankings for the films should a change a bit.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

BleuPanda wrote:The one movie I hadn't seen in the top 100 (The Mother and the Whore) fell off, only to be replaced by another movie I haven't had a chance to see (A Brighter Summer Day). Why can't I find these in good condition anywhere? Why can't I live near one of those big cities that every once in a while get special screenings of rare films?
You should be able to find a good Mother And The Whore DVD if you have a region free player.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

JimmyJazz wrote:So Bill is not going to tweak the formula for the 21st century poll after all.

However, instead he is going to expand the 21st century list to a Top 1000!

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, we can see the placings of films from this current decade now. On the other hand, I am no so sure that you can come up with a 1000 for the last mere 15 years without getting into some real crap. I kinda wished he just kept it as 250, then by the end of this decade expand it to a 500, expanding it progressively, basically.

Either way, he said that, unlike last year with Inside Llewyn Davis, Boyhood will place very well this year! This makes sense to me. Boyhood overwhelmingly won the Sight & Sound poll, for example. Conversely, most polls from 2013 films were very split with a lack of consensus. Since TSPDT weights from individual ballots from critics and filmmakers, inevitably films from that year got screwed.

He is factoring in some of the recent "decade so far" lists though, so the rankings for the films should a change a bit.
I agree 250 is a nice number that signifies quality, the best of the best. 1000 signals some watered down choices.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

Jirin wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:The one movie I hadn't seen in the top 100 (The Mother and the Whore) fell off, only to be replaced by another movie I haven't had a chance to see (A Brighter Summer Day). Why can't I find these in good condition anywhere? Why can't I live near one of those big cities that every once in a while get special screenings of rare films?
You should be able to find a good Mother And The Whore DVD if you have a region free player.
You sure? I don't think it's been released anywhere yet. Not even the French Amazon has a DVD release for it.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I forget where I saw it. Maybe it was Youtube. I think it is currently on Youtube.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”